Slite
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

DD Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by Slite on Jan 13, 11 12:51 AM
I've played the first three chapters of this game (London Scene is chapter one) but it's been a few years. I found the story intriguing and the voice work very good. However, each chapter is quite short and the game also had some of the most tedious elements I've ever encountered in an Adventure game. In this chapter you need to go up and down several flights of stairs many times as you change floors in the building. The unintuitive, clunky, movement system made just going down several floors a painful experience. Unless you have a higher tolerance for this than I, spare yourself.

I don't remember if the first chapter included this or not, but the later chapters all ended with the discovery of an abstract board game. I thought those "games within a game" were well designed and fun to play.

My recommendation would be to avoid, or look for a collection with more chapters.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

Re:DD Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jan 13, 11 2:18 AM
I am a big fan of large file and 360 adventure games. So, in saying that, I reccommend you enjoy those types to, before getting this game. I like it very much for this type of game.

I'd rate this: POT BELLY - enjoyabe for some, but not everyone's cup of tea.

' '
(o)

Safarri
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by Safarri on Jan 13, 11 4:34 AM
Been at the preview for 10 minutes and can't get past the very first scene "Very Detailed Map". What's with that? I'm not encouraged at this point. I've clicked all over the place and nothing happens. Also, I play with sound off all the time and rely on dialogue text. None here. Also, the start up is long and runs every start up.

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Jan 13, 11 4:18 PM
Safarri wrote:Been at the preview for 10 minutes and can't get past the very first scene "Very Detailed Map". What's with that? I'm not encouraged at this point. I've clicked all over the place and nothing happens. Also, I play with sound off all the time and rely on dialogue text. None here. Also, the start up is long and runs every start up.

You arrive in (your) office. The first thing you do is probably to check your desk if you have received any mail...

Dialogue text: in game options, set sbutitle to "English". It is recommended to have sound on too as there is a lot to listen to - several effects and verbal hints too. Playing without sound and subtitle will make it extremely difficult as you don't get any clues.

The startup can be skipped if you click with the mouse.

The large map will come in later. If you are stuck looking at it move the cursor to the bottom of the screen where it becomes a down arrow and then click.

Akenta
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by Akenta on Jan 13, 11 5:03 PM
I don't usually like 360 games, but since it's a DD thought I should give it a try. I was able to set the movement to slow, so that helped. I had the sound turned all the way up on effects and speech, but they were still hard to hear. After 20 minutes, I thought it was an ok game. Seemed challenging enough, but did spend a lot of time walking around. Since I'm still trying to catch up on all the other deals I got from here, I'm going to have to pass on this, but might consider it if it becomes a DD again.

Jinnare
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Jinnare on Jan 13, 11 5:16 PM
Safarri wrote:Been at the preview for 10 minutes and can't get past the very first scene "Very Detailed Map". What's with that? I'm not encouraged at this point. I've clicked all over the place and nothing happens. Also, I play with sound off all the time and rely on dialogue text. None here. Also, the start up is long and runs every start up.

Safarri, you need to hold down your left mouse button and then move your mouse around. That will change where you're looking, enabling you to move around the room, etc. I understand the problem you're having as I had the same thing myself.

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Jan 13, 11 7:55 PM
What an absolutely annoying and frustrating game!

suratsiber
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by suratsiber on Jan 13, 11 8:22 PM
ohh!! This is 360 deg game. Makes me sick! A no buy for me

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Mar 24, 11 8:40 AM
DD again, only two months later! Must not be selling too well,
even at this price.

I'm not very good at the Adventure parts of H0 games, but
I do keep trying and even demo the trials of pure adventure
when they are offered like this one.

Read the papers on the desk, opened and read several
books on the bookshelves, but just got tired of reading
information that doesn't seem to help me right now.

Hopefully, one day, I'll find one to grab me, but not this one.

For those who do well in this genre, I hope you enjoy.

Martila
Minnow
Minnow
220 Posts

[Post New]by Martila on Mar 24, 11 12:38 PM
joyce2121 wrote:....Read the papers on the desk, opened and read several
books on the bookshelves, but just got tired of reading
information that doesn't seem to help me right now.
Hopefully, one day, I'll find one to grab me, but not this one. ...

Oh yes... there's usually much reading in adventure games, espacially in hardcore adventures such as this one. But the more you play such games the more you get used to spotting the most appropriate parts.
Letters may be quite important where they are, they always provide some clue. Maybe its just a word.

But with books it is different. They are not kind of mandatory readings - but they usually provide clues. When you see a bookcase you can be quite certain that you can open and read some. But no need to take too much time reading them through right away, unless you enjoy it of course. It is enough to look at WHAT BOOKS you can open, what is their TOPIC and what type of ILLUSTRATIONS they have. Try to remember just these. Then look for other tasks - and very soon you will realize you have seen a clue in one of those books. Now you can go back and find what you need.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Mar 24, 11 3:24 PM
I got this a while back and even on DD I wouldn't buy it again. Purely for the reason it is so short. What you actually do is short and not long. A long time can be spent wandering around what to do, and there is so much you think should be able to do, but at end of game you realise how little was available to do *

*spoiler[u] -

you can't open most of the doors and once you know the route down to basement, and you go directly there and the whole game it is mainly between 4/5 rooms. It is disappointing lack of places to go to.

Edited on 03/24/2011 at 3:25:02 PM PST

[Post New]by pinchy_wayne on Mar 24, 11 8:26 PM
suratsiber wrote:ohh!! This is 360 deg game. Makes me sick! A no buy for me

I couldn't agree with you more. I'm surprised more people don't end up with vertigo. I made it exactly 2 minutes before this one was a no-buy for me

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Mar 25, 11 6:35 AM
Martila, thanks for the comments and suggestions.

I'll remember and try them on my next attempt at
a pure Adventure game.

Go to: