LoveMyBichons
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

The BLUE CIRCLES: are they optional?

[Post New]by LoveMyBichons on Jan 13, 11 8:49 PM
I'm really enjoying this game, however the blue circles telling me where everything is and where to look are stealing the joy of discovery from the game for me. I know many people like that type of hinting in Adventure games. There are times when I need and want it as well, but I'm hoping, in this game, someone knows how to turn them off. I feel like I'm just following directions.

Can anyone help?

Thanx in advance!

Edited on 01/13/2011 at 8:50:32 PM PST

Re:The BLUE CIRCLES: are they optional?

[Post New]by sweeswee2003 on Jan 14, 11 1:01 PM
They're annoying, aren't they? I've decided to save my BF credit for another game and D/L the original version of Broken Sword elsewhere, as all the review sites I visited say the old one is preferable. Apparently, the blue circles are unable to be hidden.

LoveMyBichons
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by LoveMyBichons on Jan 14, 11 10:15 PM
Thanx for the reply, sweeswee2003. Like I said, I'm enjoying it anyway...just hoping, you know.

[Post New]by RowanGolightly on Jan 15, 11 11:24 AM
Yes, I found that annoying as well, and that after you've investigated them once, they're still there. It takes the fun away from the game as far as I"m concerned.

This game is a no-buy for me because of this unfortunate feature.

Jinnare
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Jinnare on Jan 21, 11 11:58 PM
Sweeswee, are we to understand that the original game didn't have the blue circles? If that's the case, I may look into that, too. Trouble is, I do like having all of my games in my BFG Game Manager. I have some that I bought prior to joining BFG, a couple that I bought elsewhere due to price, and a bunch of free ones that I got prior to joining BFG, and I never remember to go play those since they aren't in the GM. <sigh> Memory ain't what it was when I was 62. Even though that was only two months ago.

LoveMyBichons
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by LoveMyBichons on Jan 24, 11 2:35 PM
Jinnare wrote:Sweeswee, are we to understand that the original game didn't have the blue circles? If that's the case, I may look into that, too. Trouble is, I do like having all of my games in my BFG Game Manager.

I know what you mean about the Game Manager, I have trouble keeping them all straight!.

You can buy this game from other sites. I believe it's called the "directors cut". I think it's this same game, with the updates, so it will work on currently popular PC systems. I want you to notice the "I think"s and the "I believe"s because I'm not 100% sure and don't want you to buy on my 'iffy' comments and send me an icon of a puckerd up, frowney face with eyes bulging, dripping tears, and shooting arrows, and the ears firey red and steaming and the hair standing on end with electricity and lightening bolts coming out of it. ,LOL.

Or worse, be disappointed about buying it because of my words.

Love...

monkeyface881
Manatee
Manatee
4,138 Posts

[Post New]by monkeyface881 on Jan 25, 11 12:04 PM
Just to let you all know- the original version of the game was just called The Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars. It was not called 'Directors cut'. Additionally it did not have Nico's chapter, where you play as Nico. It also did not have the blue circles or hints.

You can usually buy the original version of this game in a double pack with the sequel for around £4.

moochorama
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by moochorama on Mar 21, 11 10:25 AM
Ah, good to know that the blue circles aren't in the original game - and that I'm not the only one who is bothered by them to the point of probably not buying the game. I was pretty much determined to get it, as the game passed me by in the 90s (although I remember a friend repeatedly recommending it to me!), but those blue circles take all the adventure-feeling out of the game.

I always wanted to get the game someday, but I never did because I didn't want to face all the hassle of getting it to run on a new system, so I was delighted that they brought out an updated version. It's a shame that they apparently felt the need to adapt to casual adventures and IHOGs. I don't mind that they gave help and the hint system for inexperienced players, but why can't I turn it off? It's not an adventure if I'm being led through the game by the hand.

Still not sure whether to get it anyways or try and get hold of the old version.

Go to: