bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Nightmare on the Pacific

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jan 15, 11 1:03 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Nightmare on the Pacific? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!**

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Edited on 01/15/2011 at 1:22:29 AM PST

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Nightmare on the Pacific

[Post New]by LapTopDancerr on Jan 15, 11 1:25 AM
Bought the Premium Edition over a month ago on another site for 6.99 when a few of their CE games were on sale. They're called Premium Edition over there. Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know that this game felt like I was IN a movie of the caliber like 'The Titanic'. The movie, I mean game is an action/adventure theme. Cruise ship falls apart in rough seas at night. Love the intro. Story, voice acting, visuals excellent.

Sorry to see some of the XP people are having issues here. I ran this game on vista .... no problems from downloading the game elsewhere. Long game, too. About 8-9 hours for me on the Premium Edition. You can go back and forth between the different sections of the ship and not necessarily in a predetermined order. Forgot what the other reviewers call it, but you can check different areas, finish parts and come back to it to complete. Has inventory and all the regular things in most of the IHOG, Adventure, Puzzle games. (Did I miss anything?)

Just when you come to the end of the game and disappointed because like a good movie you want it to continue.....there's the bonus alternative ending and a prologue prior to the night in question, that this version doesn't have.. Even though this one is a SE I'm sure it's still great. Fantastic as far as I'm concerned. Adventure IHOG medium difficulty, good mini games (no compare the picture minis) and very enjoyable. Not the usual creepy, spooky IHOGS that dominate over here.
I will play again, but need to catch up with some spooky, creepy games that I bought here and still haven't played. Some from over a year ago. I love the creepy IHOGs and was surprised even though this one isn't, that it actually is a very entertaining game
LOL. Enjoy!

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jan 15, 11 1:41 AM
Goofyduck has covered most of the points that I had. I do not normally bother if there are black bars at the side but black border all around? I found it (as a friend says) a bit herky jerky, not too smooth. I am running windows 7. This is definitely a TOTS (The Objects are There Somewhere. It was confusing as Goofy said, there can be more than one of the same item and you have to find the right one. I am very much on the fence with this one.

ETA Put the word items instead of objects

Edited on 01/15/2011 at 1:55:51 AM PST

[Post New]by heatherington on Jan 15, 11 1:45 AM
Thanks Goofy Duck, for having a review up so early in the morning. I wanted this to be a good game as am downloading now. It's been a while, several days since we had a good hog, ihog, adventure whatever to play. Really don't like those time management games or the match three unless they are really good. Thanks again.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jan 15, 11 1:48 AM
peglegann wrote:Goofyduck has covered most of the points that I had. I do not normally bother if there are black bars at the side but black border all around? I found it (as a friend says) a bit herky jerky, not too smooth. I am running windows 7. This is definitely a TOTS (The Items are There Somewhere. It was confusing as Goofy said, there can be more than one of the same item and you have to find the right one. I am very much on the fence with this one.
First . I made a comment in the other thread "Nightmare on the Pacific", may be I was lucky (only played 15 minutes) but didn't come across any of the problems you mention, I'm running windows 7 too.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Jan 15, 11 1:57 AM
I agree with Peglegann in that Goofyduck has covered most of the things I was going to say about this game, particularly regarding the black bars and the inventory items.

I would add that I liked the graphics although some of the hidden objects were hard to find; either small or really well blended into the background but I like to have to search hard to get my prize

I loved the fact that there was no irritating constant music in the background; a big plus for me and the special effects were excellent.

I am running the game on Windows 7 64-bit and have had not problems; this is definitely a game for me.

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Jan 15, 11 2:07 AM
Great job goofyduck, peglegann and casualgran!
The hint system recharged in 20 seconds for me so I'm in a bit of a quandary why it took 11/2 minutes on Goofyducks PC??? The cursor is very generous. It only does the floaty thing for a few seconds. I never could get a handle on when it was going to do it though! Sometimes 20 or so random clicks, other times 3 or 4.....it's good enough not to be an issue.

I won't rehash a lot of things that have already been explained, just some observations. It's mostly a HOG....and I mean a lot of HOG! I prefer a little more adventure. You go from one H0 scene to the next with a minimal amount of interaction. Find a screwdriver in a HOG, use it the next scene. It's basically linear.....not strictly...........basically!

The graphics are crisp and clear but I prefer hand drawn and I find this type unappealing to the eye.

It's a well designed game with no bugs that I can find in 40 min. of play.
If you like HOG's give it a try. I'm gonna' take a pass. Too many HOG's, not enough adventure, the games/puzzles I found to be dull and unimaginative.
I got bored and am not interested in playing it anymore.
Dr.good

Edited on 01/15/2011 at 2:09:55 AM PST

april445
Guppy
Guppy
140 Posts

[Post New]by april445 on Jan 15, 11 2:07 AM
I am playing the normal setting and am having no problems getting lost or knowing what to do. That may be because I play a lot of pure adventure games and have come to think like a programmer.
No tech problems either on my windows 7 laptop. It's funny but I never notice the music, black bars or some of the other things people mention. On the other hand I don't like the blinking walker at the bottom of the screen during the H.O. portion and having to click on the X to get out of a close up scene. So I guess each of us have our ugh points.
Like the game and have bought.

Edited on 01/15/2011 at 2:09:11 AM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jan 15, 11 2:13 AM
OK. Hands in the air. I need to check out my computer. LOL!
Also, I played in the normal mode, the opposite of what Goofy did. There was still a lot of handholding.Have great fun all and have a lovely weekend.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jan 15, 11 2:42 AM
I agree with Casualgran - at first I thought it's too loud and overdone, I won't be buying this one. But it's a good game, it's different! It is like a movie. And as I happen to have a few credits and coupons lying around ( ), I'll probably go for it.

gmmace
Minnow
Minnow
249 Posts

[Post New]by gmmace on Jan 15, 11 2:53 AM
I liked the game, but after playing the demo, I'm more than halfway through, so I don't think I'll be purchasing.

Guppy
Guppy
142 Posts

[Post New]by 0161 on Jan 15, 11 3:07 AM
I'm on windows seven and find that I can't get a full screen up

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jan 15, 11 3:17 AM
There are a lot of good reviews up ^ there so I will be brief.

I thought the intoduction to the game was very well done and it sold me on the game immediately and I will be using a credit on it .

I agree with the comments about the black bars and the white walker at the bottom and felt that that both of these should only have appeared when you moved your cursor to that area to click on an item in the inventory or to exit the location. I also felt that the diary/hints etc buttons were completely in the wrong place.

Those darn darts , I won't tell you how many times I clicked the wrong one before I saw that there was more than one .

The items that are not listed that you have to collect are your family's belongings so ... as there is a man, woman, boy and girl ... I guess that means look for everything bar the kitchen sink as you can guarantee that the woman did the packing .

Enjoy the game, I intend to .

Cherb

ETA ... I am running XP SP3 and have had no problems with the game so far and hope, touch wood and fins crossed, that it continues that way.

Edited on 01/15/2011 at 3:21:54 AM PST

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jan 15, 11 3:19 AM
0161 wrote:I'm on windows seven and find that I can't get a full screen up

Welcome to the Pond I do not think that the button does anything. I am under the impression that it will always have a black border around the screen. Unless anyone else has any suggestions??

Keziah000
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by Keziah000 on Jan 15, 11 3:22 AM
I too have played this elsewhere - and highly recommend it. It is an awesome game. It's imaginative, with great graphics, and really raises the bar. A break from haunted houses and ghosts. Agree it felt like being in a movie - it held the atmosphere and urgency righ through. Loved it. I didn't find it too short at all.

VolleymomDee
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by VolleymomDee on Jan 15, 11 3:45 AM
POSSIBLE SPOILER IN QUESTION FORM...

I found this one a bit short, but please note I played in the easier mode. I enjoyed that this was different (no haunted house, ghosts, snakes), and I enjoyed that the graphics were also different. I played in windows 7 and did not have any major problems, although I did get kicked out of the game one time. I reentered and everything seemed to work. I did think that the game / cursor did not move 100% smoothly - I agree it felt a little "jerky" at times. I would have preferred having an interactive map - I was soooo incredibly lost at times, and I detest wandering around and around and around, so it would have been nice to click on the map and move to the scene I wanted. I absolutely hated the ending....did I miss something or was someone left behind in the elevator??? Someone's post mentioned an alternative ending, and I would have liked to see that. Thanks goofy for the entertaining and thorough review; I pay a great deal of attention to your posts before buying most of my games. I appreciate your efforts and the time you spend sharing with all of us!

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Jan 15, 11 4:07 AM
yes, I too hhave played this on another website & was wondering when BF was going to get thi sgame...from the demo I downloaded from the other websiteI will probably be buying this game..

SnowMeow
Stingray
Stingray
5,934 Posts

[Post New]by SnowMeow on Jan 15, 11 4:55 AM
Thanks everyone for the reviews....of course I bought it...lol. I love this game it's quite different. I've been on a few cruises so I can deal with the motion feeling...lol.
SnowMeow (Calif.)

slepless777
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by slepless777 on Jan 15, 11 4:59 AM
Mixed feelings here. There are just as many things I dislike about this game as things I like. The graphics are ok, although I prefer hand drawn personally. The atmosphere is really good and as others have said, it feels like you're in a movie, but it's all too over the top for me. Objects not easy to find and you often have to figure out which "spoon" or "dart" they mean as there is more than one in the scene. It's really annoying. Also, the way some of the objects you find are used later kinda made me roll my eyes a little. This is what this is used for?? Okay, sure, whatever.

And now to the main thing that is sort of ruining what could have been an enjoyable game despite the little aggravations I mentioned. The characters are SO unlikable. The main character that you play as is super annoying and I wish she would just shut up. I cringe every time she speaks. I just met her husband and he's just as annoying. I don't honestly care if these people make it out of this ship alive at this point.

I used a free credit for this game. I don't think I would have got it if I had to pay for it. It's okay and all, but there's just too many little things that really, really annoy me about it.

Edit: Okay, another thing I don't like, the game is really short. And, oh my god what a stupid ending!

Edited on 01/15/2011 at 6:23:20 AM PST

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Jan 15, 11 5:09 AM
I feel like a wimp, but I quit after just a few minutes. Couldn't stand the little boy yelling, "Help me mommy!" Ghosts and ghoulies and long-legged beasties and things that go bump in the night, I can cope with. Realistic situations with kids in deadly peril, not for me. Looks like a good game, great graphics, and I had no trouble running it, but it's just not for me.

Go to: