roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

Game incompatible with Windows XP...

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Jan 16, 11 3:31 PM
Is making games incompatible with Windows XP going to be a trend now? I hope not, because I will be missing out on a lot of games. I have Windows XP, I prefer it over other editions of Windows and have no intention of upgrading. I know that I am not the only Windows XP user here that prefers it over Vista. I have not tried Windows 7 yet, so I am unsure if it works better than Vista, but when I tried using Vista, I encountered a lot of problems. XP has always been reliable for me, which is why I have chosen to stay with it.

I played some of the Nightmare on The Pacific demo on my Windows XP, and had no problem with getting it to start, but it lagged a lot. I have updated my Video Card recently, as well as Flash, Shockwave, Direct X etc. so I don't think it lagged because of those things, I think it had to do with the fact that the developers did not make this game compatible for Windows XP. The game seemed alright, and I might have considered buying it, if it had worked better. Yes, I was forewarned that there might be problems with it on XP, so I wasn't surprised, nor am I complaining about that. All I wanted to say is that I hope this isn't a trend with developers, because if they make their games only compatible for Vista or later, they will be leaving all of us XP people out, and could be losing a lot of sales in the process.

MIRNI
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

Re:Game incompatible with Windows XP...

[Post New]by MIRNI on Jan 16, 11 3:34 PM
Exactly the same for me!!!!!!!

Supernerd
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by Supernerd on Jan 16, 11 6:34 PM
I've got Windows XP and the game works fine for me. Now and then it freezes during the loading part, but that's because it's a bit of a memory hog. To solve that one just needs to play it in Windowed Mode, and when it freezes during loading between scenes, just move the window slightly and it quickly goes back into the next scene. I thought... I can live with that, and bought the game.

Verdict! I'm loving the game and it is rather easy... so far.

[Post New]by marysanders on Jan 16, 11 6:43 PM
Im having the same problem I reloaded 3 times same thing froze up.

ojrufee
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

Game incompatible with Windows XP...

[Post New]by ojrufee on Jan 16, 11 7:26 PM
roxiestar74 wrote:Is making games incompatible with Windows XP going to be a trend now? I hope not, because I will be missing out on a lot of games. I have Windows XP, I prefer it over other editions of Windows and have no intention of upgrading. I know that I am not the only Windows XP user here that prefers it over Vista. I have not tried Windows 7 yet, so I am unsure if it works better than Vista, but when I tried using Vista, I encountered a lot of problems. XP has always been reliable for me, which is why I have chosen to stay with it.

I played some of the Nightmare on The Pacific demo on my Windows XP, and had no problem with getting it to start, but it lagged a lot. I have updated my Video Card recently, as well as Flash, Shockwave, Direct X etc. so I don't think it lagged because of those things, I think it had to do with the fact that the developers did not make this game compatible for Windows XP. The game seemed alright, and I might have considered buying it, if it had worked better. Yes, I was forewarned that there might be problems with it on XP, so I wasn't surprised, nor am I complaining about that. All I wanted to say is that I hope this isn't a trend with developers, because if they make their games only compatible for Vista or later, they will be leaving all of us XP people out, and could be losing a lot of sales in the process.

It's not too crazy about Vista either.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Jan 16, 11 7:49 PM
Hi Roxie,

I'd suggest you click on the green envelope and get in touch with customer service. They're really great.

I run Windows XP--I also prefer it--and the game worked fine for me. I played it awhile back, via another site that had it earlier, and liked it.

Good luck!

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Jan 17, 11 12:16 AM
Pepper010 wrote:Hi Roxie,

I'd suggest you click on the green envelope and get in touch with customer service. They're really great.

I run Windows XP--I also prefer it--and the game worked fine for me. I played it awhile back, via another site that had it earlier, and liked it.

Good luck!

Normally, I would complain to Customer Service about something like this, and I agree that they are great at handling problems, but the game isn't supposed to be compatible with XP, so I don't think it would be fair to complain. I am glad that you and some other XP people were able to get it to work. I am just hoping that making games for VIsta and Windows 7, and excluding XP, doesn't become a trend. I don't want to miss out on other great games in the future because they are incompatible with my system.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Jan 17, 11 3:54 AM
I have XP and Nightmare on the Pacific played fine on my machine. The only problem I had was when I quit in the middle of a mini-game. It did not restart correctly, and I had to skip the game. This is not an Operating System problem.

I had a great deal of difficulty with Eternal Night: Realm of Souls. The cursor lag is so bad, that I had great difficulty trying to pick up the needed items. I finally quit because I just could not play the game. I did not find a way to get rid of the custom cursor because I think it is needed for this type of game.

My video only has 128 mb memory so that could be an issue. Appears developers are trying to add more and more special effects which will make those of us with "regular" or "old" machines non-customers.

My opinion is that it is not operating system, but the hardware of you machine that makes it not run well in most cases.

Edited on 01/17/2011 at 4:58:14 AM PST

MarpleLover
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by MarpleLover on Jan 17, 11 4:09 AM
I would be interested in hearing if people with XP and with say, 5 gig of RAM are having these problems.

Will have to check how much video ram my pc has.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Jan 17, 11 5:49 AM
Roxie,

The game is listed as "OS Vista" which does *not* mean that it's not supposed to work on XP. These days, the latest OS is sometimes listed, with the understanding that recent OS's are included.

They do have a warning noted: Using Alt + Tab may cause issues on Windows XP

As for fair, nothing unfair about telling them a customer has a problem. If it's a game problem, the more people who tell them, the better off we all are. That's what leads to fixes. If it's something in your 'puter, they'll help you find it and tweak the system. The Dr. Felix app they can send you is nifty.

Good luck!

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Jan 17, 11 3:11 PM
mcurty wrote:I have XP and Nightmare on the Pacific played fine on my machine. The only problem I had was when I quit in the middle of a mini-game. It did not restart correctly, and I had to skip the game. This is not an Operating System problem.

I had a great deal of difficulty with Eternal Night: Realm of Souls. The cursor lag is so bad, that I had great difficulty trying to pick up the needed items. I finally quit because I just could not play the game. I did not find a way to get rid of the custom cursor because I think it is needed for this type of game.

My video only has 128 mb memory so that could be an issue. Appears developers are trying to add more and more special effects which will make those of us with "regular" or "old" machines non-customers.

My opinion is that it is not operating system, but the hardware of you machine that makes it not run well in most cases.

Hi Mcurty!

I had problems Eternal Night: Realm of Souls too. It took forever to start, and when it finally did, it caused my computer to shut off. I erased it after that, which is a shame since it looked like a nice game.

I try to keep everything on my computer up to date, but it is an older system, it's from 2005, so I think you could be right about the special effects developers are adding not working well with older machines. Thanks for your input!

Take Care,
Roxie

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Jan 17, 11 3:19 PM
Pepper010 wrote:Roxie,

The game is listed as "OS Vista" which does *not* mean that it's not supposed to work on XP. These days, the latest OS is sometimes listed, with the understanding that recent OS's are included.

They do have a warning noted: Using Alt + Tab may cause issues on Windows XP

As for fair, nothing unfair about telling them a customer has a problem. If it's a game problem, the more people who tell them, the better off we all are. That's what leads to fixes. If it's something in your 'puter, they'll help you find it and tweak the system. The Dr. Felix app they can send you is nifty.

Good luck!

I misunderstood and thought that it meant that the game was for Vista or later, and that it was not meant for XP. Perhaps it is not the operating system, and the problem is because my computer is older, and even though I try to keep it updated, it just can't handle some of these newer games. I have also had a lag problem with some other games. Haunted Legends Queen of Hearts, for example, lagged so much that I could barely move forward in the game and that was a shame, since it looked like a game I would enjoy. I recently updated my video card, as well as flash, shockwave and directx, and that didn't help at all. I think my older system is the problem, but I guess you are right, and it wouldn't hurt to contact Customer Service about it. Thanks for your suggestions!

Mouse381
Guppy
Guppy
125 Posts

[Post New]by Mouse381 on Jan 17, 11 7:31 PM
My OS is XP as well. I am completely up to date on everything that is needed to play this game. However...I went to play, and it froze on the first loading. It took almost 9 mins to get the game stopped. Then I had to restart my computer. It's a shame...It sounds like a game I would buy. oh well.

AlexJeff
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by AlexJeff on Jan 18, 11 6:20 PM
I never even noticed that it stated it was for Vista & up.

I just played it - start to finish in a few hours - on XP-Pro and had no problems at all. Some of the scenes were a little slow to load, but no issues to speak of.

I have Vista on my lap top and may try again on that and see if it's any different, but my desk top runs on XP-Pro and that's where I play all the games.

Will have to check those notes before buying any more games. Thanks for pointing it out.

Edited on 01/18/2011 at 6:49:22 PM PST

[Post New]by kamber_3680 on Jan 20, 11 10:22 AM
I also have windows xp and the trial version played great so i bought it and everything went well until I reached the part to enter the villa and no matter what i try I can not find a way to go to villa,,if someone could help me with this problem i would greatly appreciate it, thanks

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Jan 20, 11 5:23 PM
kamber_3680 wrote:I also have windows xp and the trial version played great so i bought it and everything went well until I reached the part to enter the villa and no matter what i try I can not find a way to go to villa,,if someone could help me with this problem i would greatly appreciate it, thanks
Hi kamber_3680! This is the forum for Nightmare on the Pacific. It takes place on a cruise ship on the ocean. I'm sorry but there is no villa on the cruise ship. Either you have made a mistake in the name of the place you are trying to go, or you are in the wrong game forum.

Guybrush
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by Guybrush on Jan 22, 11 3:28 AM
Runs fine for me on XP and no problem with alt-tab.

[Post New]by MississippiNana on Jan 23, 11 9:36 PM
I have vista and it won't play at all.

[Post New]by cinco52 on Jan 24, 11 7:45 AM
I* have XP-reloaded game at least 3 times and screen goes blank after intro-Nightmare truly is a Nightmare!

MarpleLover
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by MarpleLover on Jan 24, 11 7:53 AM
Odd how many people do not mention how much RAM their machine has. You should have at least 3 gig of memory to run these programs smoothly.

Go to: