doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Eternal Night: Realm of Souls

[Post New]by doctorgood on Jan 17, 11 1:23 AM
Edit: I posted this in another thread before I realized casualgran had started a comments thread so here it is w/o the emoticons.

This game is a whole lot of things...........but it ain't a HOG!! I would call it an adventure game with H0 scenes, puzzles and ahhh....other stuff.

The graphics are very bold and bright and it has an Indian or Middle Eastern look that is different and refreshing. Sort of shiny, chrome looking.......go look for yourself!

The cursor doesn't drop out or even come into play because you're not bogged down with endless H0 piles. The hint system is very good. In some games the hint system only works in the HOG's. (which is sorry) The hint system here nudges you in the correct direction without just telling you what to do. They did a good job with it.

The story deals with Egyptian Gods. You have to rescue/build/assist to make something happen or was it not happen? . The story is there to string together a bunch of really unique ( not necessarily difficult) puzzles and other feats that you must perform. It's not earth shattering or deep.

As you progress you acquire amulets, each of which gives you more powers. You perform various deeds and locate and assemble items to gain another amulet.
Please note, there are no junk pile H0 scenes in this game!!! That also was done in a first class manner. No toasters or cell phones!!!

The music is ancient Egyptian. For you younger folks that can't remember back that far it's mostly flute playing that reminds you of every snake charmer you ever heard. They don't overdo it and I didn't find it obnoxious.

There is quite a lot to do in this game. It has a lot of new twists and turns in the game play that I found quite enjoyable. It is complicated but once you get into it I think it will be a buy. I'm definitely buying it. Give it a try.
I think it warrants
Dr.good

Edited on 01/17/2011 at 1:31:12 AM PST

[Post New]by heatherington on Jan 17, 11 1:26 AM
It seemed okay until I got stuck after you pass the first door and now I can't get the bridge to open up. Nothing works. The blogwalkthrough is not up so I cannot continue. If I can't figure out what to do next without the walkthrough there is no sense in buying the game. I'll have to wait. **** hum. Otherwise I was going to buy because you can skip their stupid mini games and the hints actually worked in the supposed hidden object mode. It is a strange game but I was willing to give it a chance. I got my ice breaking spell to work and now I have two jewels, a spear, and a shovel head. No idea how to get that circle thing to activate. So guess I'll wait.

gmmace
Minnow
Minnow
249 Posts

[Post New]by gmmace on Jan 17, 11 1:36 AM
heatherington - you have to give the spear to the statue that doesn't have one, then place the red and blue jewels in the empty spaces on the statue heads. I think you should be able to progress from there.

I think I like the game, but I wish you could speed up the dialogue a bit, and the slow loading between some areas is tedious.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jan 17, 11 1:37 AM
Hi there heatherington and anyone else who follows this and thinks they are hopelessly stuck,
It is VERY important that you take note of the early sections (tutorial I suppose) about how the game plays and how the Task/Hint/Spell sections work.
I have said elsewhere that sometimes we tend to skip over these, but on this occasion it is most important to note all of these things. As with Crossworlds, the game play is accessible once you master how it works.
A number of us have been crying for something different and more challenging...yet again I see a cry for WT and easy solutions...and maybe there is a glitch because I can't go on.
I actually stumbled on one of the solutions to my supposed problems by actually taking the time to think about what I had and how it could be used ...and noticing the spell medallion was...well, that would be a spoiler!!...and finally managed to get further.
I am not a member of Mensa or anything, and I am not criticising anyone who thinks they have struck the proverbial brick wall. But remember, all of these games have solutions...we just have to find them and, there are some of us who don't mind wearing out our sneakers and still have some hair to lose who manage to get through somehow.
Maybe this is a sit back, relax, take a deep breath, apply some GG&D and enjoy the experience type of game.
My opinion, not a review.
Cheers

Edited on 01/17/2011 at 1:39:59 AM PST

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jan 17, 11 1:47 AM
This is an unusualgame. My first problem is that in Full Screen I cannot see but the top of the inventory. I cannot see the Menu Button. I can't tell what is in the inventory. I had to use CTRL/ALT/DEL to get out of the game. I went back in and unchecked Full Screen. In a Window I can see everything but the images are a little too small.

The second thing is that i am also stuck at the Bridge. I have done several things there but cannot see what to do next. I did make the Token Black. i also found a place to put the Red Gem. I cannot find the Frost Amulet (or whatever it's called) and see no necklace so i am stuck.

The third thing is that I cannot access somke of the Threads in this Forum. they just load and load and load.... I got in this thread by clicking on the latest poster's name, clicking on their posts and then clicking on See Post for this Thread.

I will try again later. maybe someone will post a Spoiler. And, yes I did pay attention to the Tutorial and I have also read the instructions.

Thanks!

doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

[Post New]by doctorgood on Jan 17, 11 2:57 AM
DragonLadyOz wrote:Hi there heatherington and anyone else who follows this and thinks they are hopelessly stuck,
It is VERY important that you take note of the early sections (tutorial I suppose) about how the game plays and how the Task/Hint/Spell sections work.
I have said elsewhere that sometimes we tend to skip over these, but on this occasion it is most important to note all of these things. As with Crossworlds, the game play is accessible once you master how it works.
A number of us have been crying for something different and more challenging...yet again I see a cry for WT and easy solutions...and maybe there is a glitch because I can't go on.
I actually stumbled on one of the solutions to my supposed problems by actually taking the time to think about what I had and how it could be used ...and noticing the spell medallion was...well, that would be a spoiler!!...and finally managed to get further.
I am not a member of Mensa or anything, and I am not criticising anyone who thinks they have struck the proverbial brick wall. But remember, all of these games have solutions...we just have to find them and, there are some of us who don't mind wearing out our sneakers and still have some hair to lose who manage to get through somehow.
Maybe this is a sit back, relax, take a deep breath, apply some GG&D and enjoy the experience type of game.
My opinion, not a review.
Cheers

Very well said! My sentiments exactly!
Dr.good

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jan 17, 11 3:07 AM
Possible Spoiler in PS at end.

WARNING ... First of all let me say that the flashing bright lights as you enter the Afterlife tunnel might affect some of you if you are really susceptible. Personally I had to look away because I find this sort of effect too much when you are sitting so close to the screen as you are when using a computer.

Secondly I would like to point out the ? in the bottom right hand corner as clicking this might help some of you to proceed further into the game , I won't tell you how long it was before I saw it .

Good review Doc so I won't add to it except to say that the custom cursor performed well and wasn't at all sluggish.

Well this game is a definite buy for me as it is different and I am enjoying the puzzles but I was really annoyed when Felix blushed so apologetically I yelled at him ... "no not now you fish" just as I was in the last split second of completing something . I am now keeping my fins crossed that the game accepts that I had actually done it so am off to find out.

Cherb

PS ... Heatherington ... Use your head (no not the shovel one) hmm where could the jewels go and then use the spear close by.

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Jan 17, 11 3:15 AM
Thanks to all of you who have provided reviews - game sounds good for me so off to download now

cll026497
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by cll026497 on Jan 17, 11 3:40 AM
TY Cherbtoo, I cannot express how important the ? in the lower right corner is, do not skip over it thinking you already know all that lol it gave me the nudge I needed to move on

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Jan 17, 11 3:41 AM
Cherbtoo wrote: the flashing bright lights as you enter the Afterlife tunnel might affect some of you " ..

That's me out then. I can't even risk it.

Why of why the developers think triggering migraines and epiletic fits in their clientele is clever, I'll never know. They add nothing to the enjoyment of the game and could easily be left out .. so why do they insist on including them????

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Jan 17, 11 3:42 AM
Sorry .. forgot to thank Cherboo for the warning.
Thanks.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Jan 17, 11 4:41 AM
*Very* briefly (cuz I don't really do this review thing any more ) I thought this was a great game, definitely challenging. I was pleased the walk-through wasn't up because I would have resorted to it and I'm glad I didn't. You have to think. A lot. Very little if any hand-holding and lots of logic required. New ways to look as Hidden Object stuff, good puzzles, best dang untangle puzzle I've seen (I like these so that's a plus for me) and clever Adventure combines. Even the voice acting was good. Graphics a *little* harsh but very interesting. One and only complaint is even with it being a thought provoker I still finished it in just over 2 hours. Surprisingly short, though I am a pretty facile Adventure Gamer. I had absolutely no technical issues with it but I am running a nearly new Gaming system.

I liked it a lot. Sure wish it had been longer.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Jan 17, 11 4:48 AM
I enjoyed playing this game but it was very short. I played without a walkthrough and it only took 3 hours to complete. I did not skip anything, I completed all the puzzles and listened to all the slow dialogue. I wandered around and got a little frustrated a few times wondering where to do next but I just kept looking and was able to move on eventually. Even with that it only lasted 3 hours. It is an enjoyable game but I feel that it is only worth $2.99.

The dialogue is slow and I did not like that you can’t skip the dialogue. That is annoying on subsequent plays but this game doesn’t have much replay value. Perhaps they did not give the dialogue a skip option because the game is so short.

I liked the story, the voice acting and the picture quality in the overall game. The scenes were unique and the artwork is well done.

Some of the HOGs are a unique type of hidden object game where you have to find objects to replace missing items in a picture. This was challenging since you are not always sure what you are looking for. With a little practice I became better at finding the items. I like that the developer put a new twist on the hidden object game play.

I loved the puzzles but there were not enough of them. They are not puzzles you see every day so I enjoyed that aspect. I really liked the “untangle the strings” puzzles because they had to fit a pattern when they were untangled and that added a new dimension to the puzzle.

The in-game hint system works well for the hidden object scenes but is confusing when it comes to direction in the game in general. If you are not in a hidden object game and are in the general game play and know what you are looking for, the hint system isn’t much help with where to find it.

If the game had been a good length I would have given it 4 stars but since it in only about half the length that a game should be I will only give it 3 stars.

Edited on 01/17/2011 at 4:52:29 AM PST

gailweis
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by gailweis on Jan 17, 11 4:49 AM
gmmace wrote:heatherington - you have to give the spear to the statue that doesn't have one, then place the red and blue jewels in the empty spaces on the statue heads. I think you should be able to progress from there.

I think I like the game, but I wish you could speed up the dialogue a bit, and the slow loading between some areas is tedious.

Sounds like my kind of game. I love a challenge and don't like to be led by the hand. Can I just mention - if you are going to give answers on what to do in the game, can you please post "Spoiler Alert" (thanks, Cherb!)

Thanks!
Gail

Edited on 01/17/2011 at 4:49:52 AM PST

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Jan 17, 11 4:50 AM
I would recommend that you download the demo and try it with your machine before purchasing. This is different and more difficult than some other games. But the thing I found with my machine is that it is not playable. The custom cursor, which must be used, got uncontrollable for me after I earned the first spell. It was difficult almost from the beginning, but after the "frost" came along it was impossible.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jan 17, 11 5:25 AM
Found you all . I have been in the Kaptain Brawe forum, it is so lonely there.
I cannot add to the excellent reviews from you all except to agree that this is worth persevering with. I do not play any games, to rush to the end, as I enjoy just about all that I buy. Have fun all

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Jan 17, 11 5:35 AM
cherbtoo wrote:Possible Spoiler in PS at end.

Secondly I would like to point out the ? in the bottom right hand corner as clicking this might help some of you to proceed further into the game , I won't tell you how long it was before I saw it .
Thank you so much! I was stuck and did't no what to do.

I love the game. It's so different and I like the mini-games.

lydiajmack
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by lydiajmack on Jan 17, 11 5:58 AM
Poodlebear!!!!!!!! We have missed you. Please stay around this time.

Staril
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by Staril on Jan 17, 11 6:00 AM
Nice little game but it felt very short ... first time through took about 2 hours ... second time took just over an hour of rather interrupted play. It has a lot of very cool idea ... new versions of puzzles and H0 scenes. I did come across a couple of glitches though. First time in, the second untangle puzzle was impossible to complete as a star/node/point was off screen at the bottom somewhere ... thankfully there is a skip option which I had to take. Second time through it didn't seem to recognise that I had all the items for a charm ... I left the game and reentered and it was ready for me to continue.

It is a lovely game, nice graphics and OK music and very playable. But very short and those glitches were annoying.

dk5793
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,792 Posts

[Post New]by dk5793 on Jan 17, 11 6:23 AM
I was a little nervous about trying this game after reading comments from so many who seem to have technical issues. But it runs just fine on my Dell Dimension which runs Vista and will celebrate its 5th birthday in April. I will admit I am OC about running maintenance software every week and making sure all the software and drivers are updated. 'Nuff said about that.

I'm really enjoying this game. The artwork is in a style I find especially appealing, the minigames are challenging without being impossible because there's a skip option (my favorite feature , and the hints are actually helpful. I never have the sound on, so I can't comment on that. I do use the walkthrough, but only to navigate, since I don't have GPS (game positioning service).

I bought the game after playing the demo for about 40 minutes, but I can't comment on the length because I am the WSGP (world's slowest game player). Sorry, I can't help using acronyms 'cause I worked for the DA at USMA for 20 years.

Go to: