gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Jewel Match 2 - DD for 17Jan2011 - Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jan 17, 11 2:00 AM
I don't seem to own this one yet... I'm pretty sure I've played the demo and considered buying it before, so I'm definitely going to look at it and consider it today. I'm thinking it's one of those games where I've enjoyed playing the demo before, but wasn't ready to fork over regular price for it.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

Re:Jewel Match 2 - DD for 17Jan2011 - Comments and Reviews

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jan 17, 11 2:50 AM
I've just played the first few levels so far. It's a classic swap match 3. It does offer a relaxed play option, which is good. There's background tiles to break, and pieces to drop to the bottom of the board, and already boxes on the board to break by making matches next to them. Nice music and artwork. And a castle-building project between rounds.

I think possibly the reason I passed this one up in the past could be the twirling gem game pieces and flashy stuff going on on the gameboard. At DD pricing I think I can risk it, but take a look for yourself and maybe try some different monitor settings if you think it could be a problem for you. I reckon either I'll find I'm okay with it, or I can play a level every now and then, rather than park my backside in it for hours on end.

Edited on 01/17/2011 at 2:52:34 AM PST

Genet1770
Guppy
Guppy
117 Posts

[Post New]by Genet1770 on Jan 17, 11 3:21 AM
I remember your saying in a review for another m-3 recently, that you got a headache from the graphics, and in a later review of my own, I mentioned that I had some visual problems with the graphics for that game, too. I have Jewel Match, and found that the way the graphics were done it did bother my vision and so after awhile I just removed it from my hard drive. Soooo, if you were asking if others of us have trouble with the way they did the moving pieces, etc, yes, I do, but I have found with some match three's from other developers who tried to use innovative techniques on the graphics that turned into vision-killers for me, that eventually, after long periods of adjustment, I finally did seem to adapt to them and could handle the effects. I won't say I like them, because I don't. But eventually my eyes can take the onslaught. A long-winded way of saying that since I do like the first in this series, and I like the Winter Wonderland from Jewel Match, too, I'm going to hazard it, and get this one. Hope that answered your question.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jan 17, 11 6:37 AM
Thanks Genet1770.

I've played 50 minutes of the demo now. It's frustrating to feel I'm just *tolerating* the graphics effects... There's lots of features I do like about the game. I like the windchime sounds when gems break, and I do like gems for playing pieces! I'm not sure the sound *quality* is quite up to speed, but the music and all is nice in my opinion and goes with the gameplay sounds pretty well.

So far it's looking like I'll pass on this one. Besides, my $3 a day on games seems to be going to Faunasphere lately, and I've got like a dozen or more game coupons to use here that don't cost me a thing to use ...

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jan 17, 11 7:53 AM
Well shucks... the last 7 minutes of the demo they introduced another feature - boulders that replace tiles behind them (I think) if you match them manually but not if they fall into a match thru a chain reaction... Guess I'm buying it lol...

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Jan 17, 11 8:19 AM
Well! I was about to purchase this game because I was enjoying it. Stopped playing and then decided to go back and finish the demo, just to be sure. The game froze, completely. Had to Ctrl/Alt/Del to get out. Tried again, and got the opening screen which flashed at me, and had to CAD again to get out. What a disappointment! The only thing I will say is that I'm glad it happened before I bought the game!

QEIII
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by QEIII on Jan 17, 11 8:29 AM
Excellent game and Jewel Match 1 as well. I would recommend this as a DD. Best M3 games after Around the World in 80 Days. Has a relaxed mode for those that don't like timed.

KathyD56
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by KathyD56 on Jan 17, 11 8:34 AM
This is one of my favorite Match 3 games--I go back to it over & over to play a few levels. I love the opportunity to purchase extra lives, different powerups, etc. If I didn't already have it, I would definitely purchase it at $2.99. It is a great value. Has anyone heard if there is a Jewel Match 3 in the works?

[Post New]by mathpup on Jan 17, 11 9:15 AM
Nice to offer on Daily Deal a game that, at least according to another page on this forum, hasn't been working properly for users for months. Too bad. The first Jewel Match, although not a particularly challenging, was an aesthetically pleasing game.

zorrogumbo
Clownfish
Clownfish
550 Posts

[Post New]by zorrogumbo on Jan 17, 11 12:28 PM
My eyes are HURTING just by trying to play this game. It is too much flashing colors all the time. No buy for me.

wyebank
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by wyebank on Jan 17, 11 3:18 PM
Bought as I think it is far superior to Game 1 but on fourth level my bonusus seem to have disappeared just when I need them at the end of each game. Any ideas ??

Also I do agree the twirling gems do nothing for your eyesight but for dd money we shouldn't complain it's kept me quiet all night which is quite a feat!!

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on Jan 17, 11 3:28 PM
Finally decided to buy this DD. It kept freezing on my Windows 7 computer, but plays just fine on my older Windows XP. I found the twirling gems less distracting with background lighting. My favorite M3 is Paradise Quest, but this will be fine for a few hours of enjoyment.

neola
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by neola on Jan 17, 11 9:02 PM
Well, I went ahead and bought it but, even at $3, I'm not sure I did the right thing. The relaxed mode does NOT work - at least not on my Vista laptop. And it is sort of glitchy. I've had to use Task Manager to shut it down several times. If you can get past the problems (yeah, right!) and the sparkly match items, it tends to be fun EXCEPT every time I found myself having "fun," it seemed to hang up. Also, the rules of play seem to change without prior warning! I tried downloading and installing 2X thinking maybe there was something went awry during the 1st DL and install. Nope, same problems the 2nd time. Too bad because it looks like a pretty, tho sort of mindless - aren't all M3? - game.

Mamalita
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by Mamalita on Jan 17, 11 10:59 PM
This is a great game! I've been playing all day off and on. Yes, there were a couple of glitches. On certain levels the hammer didn't show in the circle, but it was still available.

The bonuses do get used up. That's one of the things that you have to keep an eye on which adds to the strategy of the game. I've been playing on timed mode. When the timer gets down to one minute left, the game offers you the opportunity to exchange a life for two extra minutes of playing time. I've needed to do this on a few levels. I have finished four or five castles and I think there are about three left.

When there are a lot of chained blocks, I like to use the bomb bonus to blow them right away. That saves a lot of time. Between each round go to the shop and upgrade everything that you can. I'm up on level three on all of the bonuses. When I have extra money, I take a chance on the gamble box. But the most important thing is to buy the full bottle of manna so that the bonuses are at full power at the beginning of each round.

Again, I've enjoyed playing this game all day. The castles are beautiful.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jan 18, 11 12:08 AM
neola wrote:Nope, same problems the 2nd time. Too bad because it looks like a pretty, tho sort of mindless - aren't all M3? - game.

All M3's mindless? Have you tried the Jewel Quest series of M3's - beyond the demo hour I mean?

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Jan 18, 11 5:36 AM
The graphics are dull and flat. The gameplay is tedious and sadly for a M3 uninspired. The storyline is interesting but not enough to save this game.

This game is a D.

Go to: