bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

Direct X

[Post New]by bribling on Jan 19, 11 2:17 AM
This is yet another game that comes with an extra DL. This game apparently requires Direct X. Until I installed Direct X, the game did not finish installation. I suggest that anytime a game has additional required software that BFG state this in the game description so we know to expect the surprise.

My AV finds several intrusions of Worms, etc. daily and it always suspects BFG games as "possible" threats. It is therefore upsetting to get these "extras" when I DL a Demo.

jobynana
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,017 Posts

Re:Direct X

[Post New]by jobynana on Jan 19, 11 6:01 AM
Hi brib, I think it's only checking to ensure you have the minimum Direct X required - which you probably already do. The spec req says 9.1 required but I knew mine was higher so when it asked me to accept the DL, it then came back and said it didn't need to do anything.

I know what you mean though, when it is something other than DX, it should be mentioned in the spec req but isn't always. It happened with another game a while back and I thought, "Well I'd liked to have known that it was going to do that too!" Especially as I'd not heard of whatever it was! Hope this helps.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jan 19, 11 8:03 AM
Thanks Joby! It always worries me a bit when there is an unexpected add-on. I did not doubt Direct X but, recently I clicked on a Friend's Link at FB and was told it required the latest Flash. I trust Flash and was sure I had the latest but when I accepted, I got a Worm instead Thankfully my AV rescued me from disaster. It's things like that that make unexpected DLs particularly scary.

jobynana
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,017 Posts

[Post New]by jobynana on Jan 19, 11 9:54 AM
Don't blame you one iota Brib...have Pm'd you

Go to: