NOCTURNAL BOSTON NIGHTFALL

EdnaMoles
Clownfish
Clownfish
824 Posts

NOCTURNAL BOSTON NIGHTFALL

[Post New]by EdnaMoles on Dec 4, 08 12:37 AM
Downloaded and played for about 5mins, pretty good game, check this one out. For some reason makes me think of Ghost in the Sheet happy gaming and good nite

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

Re:NOCTURNAL BOSTON NIGHTFALL

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Dec 4, 08 2:37 AM

I wanted to like this one, I really did, and if you read my posts ya know I'm a pretty easy sell. Vampire theme is definitely a plus for me. Timer Optional (though sure felt like an after thought) is *always* appreciated as well. Big Fish exclusive so hoping quality, BUT...

Ok, ok, I get it, dark theme, night time, Nocturnal and all... but I'm crankin' my gamma and still going blind! Though HO scene graphics were pretty clear it's so dang dark you just can't tell what some things even are.

THEN the clicking is *very* picky and sometimes just does not recognize at all. Clicked on the same bunch of grapes enough times I looked for a different bunch, nope, back for a 4th click and that one it took. If I was playing in timed mode with time off for mis-clicks I'd be really ticked.

Mini-games... Basic 'ol concentration, Simon repeat the colors that just went on and on at a gruelling slow pace (hate 'em) and one of my favorites normally, actually, the put the color in the correct sequence, several tries with clue to right/wrong color...? I have no idea what to call these, but it's a trial and error logic thing. Problem is there were so few colors to choose from (this would no doubt increase with time) it was waaay to easy. Also no indicator of wrong position right color, which would make it too hard if enough colors got added. But didn't get that far.

Then the art work... *shudder* I'm taking about the cut scenes, not the over all look of the game which was fine. In the topic on the Interview with the Art Director for MCF: RTR I mentioned that good art can make a so-so game worth it to me, and bad art can kill a good game. Bad art in a so-so game? I normally LOVE stories in games that have any kind of depth but I was skipping the cut scenes to get past the painfully ameteurish, ugly artwork and to see if this game would offer me anything new or exciting. Nope.

I repeat:

Journey_1
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by Journey_1 on Dec 4, 08 3:15 AM
I have to say I liked this one as well. Just not picky I guess, I'm one that didn't get all oogly googly over RTR. It is dark though. I hope BF dosen't pull back on HO's with all the negative reviews. I love that they really try to please us all.

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Dec 4, 08 3:29 AM
This is actually the first negative review I've personally given in a while and I buy almost every HO ever released. Like I said, I'm usually an easy sell.

I just read an article about Game Sales in Casual Games Quarterly linked from Gamezebo and 53% of Big Fish sales in the 1st-3rd quarter of 2008 came from HO games, far out weighing other sorts (next was adventure at 14%) so I don't think there's any risk of them pulling back. My favorite genre, so happy to hear that.

amen123
Minnow
Minnow
264 Posts

[Post New]by amen123 on Dec 4, 08 4:07 AM
Just downloaded and played some of the demo. Dumb game.

reejree
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by reejree on Dec 4, 08 4:16 AM
Good morning;
Reading the forums on this one, havent downloaded yet trying to get some
views, I purchased the paranomal thingy yesterday, was bored to tears.

msblueyes
Herring
Herring
307 Posts

[Post New]by msblueyes on Dec 4, 08 4:58 AM
I just played the trial version and I must say it was very easy and no challange but fun (my opinion), so those of us who do not like easy would probaly be bored with it. I think it would be fun to play once, it would not hold my interest to play more than that (my opinion). I personally don't base my decsions on other peoples reviews, I always play the trial game to see what it is like (inquiring minds want to know).

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Dec 4, 08 5:45 AM
msblueyes wrote: I always play the trial game to see what it is like (inquiring minds want to know).

Absolutely! I think it is *always* a good idea to demo everything, at least in the genres you enjoy. No point in me trying TMs because they are totally not my thing, but heck, pretty much all else gets a go. Hey, I even enjoyed the "paranormal thingy", though I seemed to be the lone ranger on that one.

FlashKnockOut
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by FlashKnockOut on Dec 4, 08 6:02 AM
I played for 35 min then I uninstalled the game. It became a bit boring.
Didn`t have any big problems finding the objects despite the scenes was a bit dark. Only had to use a few hints. The minigames (only 2 so far) was not challenging enough. Would not buy this HO game.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Dec 4, 08 6:18 AM
I clicked the same spring three times and it didn't take. Finally used a hint, which pointed to THAT spring. Grrrr......

Odds are I'll play most of the free hour before uninstalling, but this one isn't a keeper.

craskehouse
Herring
Herring
393 Posts

[Post New]by craskehouse on Dec 4, 08 6:25 AM
Just downloading the demo.

eleanor1183
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,991 Posts

[Post New]by eleanor1183 on Dec 4, 08 6:29 AM
Poodlebear, I'm going to take your word for it on this one, because I've discovered we have very similar likes and dislikes in HO games. Just the dark screens would be enough to do it for me - I even had trouble with MC Murder Among Friends...

Anyway, thanks for checking it out, as it saves me time downloading (142mb!) and trying a game I probably wouldn't like.

I'm awfully busy in 3D these days, so must use my gametime wisely...

guylee1
Marlin
Marlin
8,309 Posts

[Post New]by guylee1 on Dec 4, 08 6:53 AM
Hi,

I think the problem is we all started out with games like this and were excited to see new ones come out. Then they started to come out with games that not only did you have to find things but had to use some somewhere in the game. This made the game more challenging and more fun.

I'm sorry to say but we have evolved as HO gamers. That's why we think this one is boring. Do you think I'm right about this.

Lee

WinonaCook
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,870 Posts

[Post New]by WinonaCook on Dec 4, 08 7:40 AM
I think you are right Lee. I like the kind that has pieces scattered all over...-*-

ghost777
Narwhal
Narwhal
33,167 Posts

[Post New]by ghost777 on Dec 4, 08 7:44 AM
Thanks for the heads up people on this game ,sounds like I won`t even try demo. I appreciate everyones ideas on the games they have tried.

sandipuppy
Herring
Herring
325 Posts

[Post New]by sandipuppy on Dec 4, 08 7:52 AM
Lee is right. At one time I would have jumped all over this game, but after playing the new type of HO (RTR and Mortimer Beckett, etc.) I find these ones boring.

guylee1
Marlin
Marlin
8,309 Posts

[Post New]by guylee1 on Dec 4, 08 7:59 AM
Well that's evolution for ya! Just like we morph here in the pond we morph our gaming tastes. But what the heck, it is still a lot of fun!

Lee

[Post New]by Pharlap5987 on Dec 4, 08 8:06 AM
Nope not one for me either, i don't do dark places, mainly cos i just don't wanna concentrate that hard!

So no d/l-ing for me

tix48
Clownfish
Clownfish
550 Posts

[Post New]by tix48 on Dec 4, 08 8:14 AM
Thanks everyone! You all saved me from downloading it As My eyesight is not the best so if its dark thats a big red flag for me! So going to let this one go I hate the games that are dark! So for everyone that took the time to try this game and come back and give a review THANKS!

whogirl
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by whogirl on Dec 4, 08 8:53 AM
Whew, what a relief, I thought my mouse was going bad when I would click on things and it would't take. I played the timed mode and was really frustrated when I had time taken away. I never liked that simon game so I tried to skip it when I could. I know I've evolved from simple HO to RTR. I hope we see more of them

Go to: