bfgDonau
Flounder
Flounder
2,464 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for RealMYST

[Post New]by bfgDonau on Jan 20, 11 10:13 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of RealMYST? We value your reviews, as do many of the other Fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and reviews in this thread! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before.

If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

If you're encountering any technical issues with the game, please be sure to post them in the Post any RealMYST technical issues here only thread and to also get in touch with Customer Support. This way we can keep this thread reserved just for reviews.

*If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion!'

Thanks and happy gaming!

Edited on 01/20/2011 at 10:40:28 AM PST

biomix
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,854 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for RealMYST

[Post New]by biomix on Jan 20, 11 11:03 AM
I checked the walkthrough. It would take patience. It looks great for those who love adventures and puzzles.
I am not sure if it is for me right now. I will wait for comments/reviews.
I would have liked a trial. Oh well.
I did try it before on diskette (wow I'm old) lol and I found it really hard.

spyque
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,211 Posts

[Post New]by spyque on Jan 20, 11 11:27 AM
This isn't the easiest game there is, but I'm a walkthrough addict. I have played the original Myst long ago (and again on Nintendo DS).
I bought RealMyst from BFG the moment I learned they had it. I'll have to have the walkthrough again, but this game is such an adventure, it's worth it!

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Jan 20, 11 11:48 AM
Myst was the game that got me seriously hooked on adventure gaming way back in the day. I looked at Wikipedia and it was the best-selling PC game from 1991-2001! WOW!

Here in 2011, it STILL beats the pants of many games now being released and STILL holds the crown as the best selling adventure game.

The puzzles are difficult and brilliant. You will be engrossed with the story and graphics from the moment you step foot onto the island.

As for cost...I think I recall paying 49.99 for this game back in 1991, so grab it at $6.99!

RealMyst also has an additional "Age" or level to play that was not in the original game.

I played this on Windows 7 with no issues.

onelifesdream
Flounder
Flounder
2,271 Posts

Disappointed and nauseated

[Post New]by onelifesdream on Jan 20, 11 1:15 PM
Feeling VERY nauseated now after only playing 15 minutes or so. I was so excited when I accidentally found this game today because I always wanted to play it, however, it doesn't look like I will be able to now.

The movement of the game is not compatible with me for sure. I have tried using the arrows on keyboard as well as the mouse on my laptop and it's just too frustrating and all the 360 degree movement with it is making me very very sick.

Blech! I wish I could handle it, but even if I could, it's so frustrating to try to explore. I am used to regular point and click adventure such as Nancy Drew, Dracula Origin, Mysterious Island and sequel, etc. That's why a trial is always good...I never would've purchased it had I been able to play the demo. I will see if fiancee' likes it before I contact about it. He may not have a problem with it and will want to keep it.

It would be nice if in the description of the game it says something about the 360 degree game movement as I know there are plenty of other fishies in the pond who have a problem with this also.

Lady_Cav
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,363 Posts

[Post New]by Lady_Cav on Jan 20, 11 1:54 PM
After a few hours of playing RealMYST, I'm happy as a clam in whatever a clam enjoys sitting in! After a very short while, I was completely immersed in the mystery and ambiance of this wonderful classic game! I'm wandering around one island at the moment, lost as a goose, wondering what my tasks and goals will be. I've got my notebook out and am making notes like crazy.

I had vowed in my best Scarlet O'Hara voice shaking her fist at a burning Atlanta, I will never look at the walkthrough again! But, dagnabbit, I had to take a quick peek. And then I noticed it was prpldva who wrote the walkthrough. It looks like you did a great job of the walkthrough from what little I saw of it, and thank you, prpldva. I hope I can hold out and not look at the w/t too often, but I'm sure glad that it's there when I need it.

I'm amazed at how easily and smoothly everything works, even after all these years. The forward movement, turning around, backing up, are very impressive when you consider how old this game is. I agree that it would be a good idea that a warning of 360 degree movement would be a considerate thing to post on the game page, so that those who cannot abide it would be advised of this before the purchase of a game that has no demo.

This is a great classic game and will probably be the favorite game of all that I have bought since I've been a member here. I had totally forgotten how expensive these games were when I first purchased them (thanks for pointing that out pupldva)! This is a game that can take days or weeks if you are determined enough to go it alone and figure out everything that needs to be done. It's a gem of a game at a bargain price!

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Jan 20, 11 5:01 PM
Thanks, Lady_Cav! I was quite honored and excited to do this walkthough. I hope it will help others take a chance and play a wonderful game!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 21, 11 7:55 AM
It says for the OS requirements you need XP/Vista. Now, because this is an old game, it has been made-over to play on newer OS´s, but I don´t think it will play on W7. (I have seen this game on another site where they will tell you if the game is playable in Windows 7, which this game is not.

And since there are games that play fine with XP and Vista, they won´t necessarily play in Windows 7. Therefore, I think it would be great if in future the OS requirements at the front page where the game is advertised would clearly state if the game is W7 compatible, especially if there is no demo for the game as is the case here. (Although I don´t understand why there is no demo for this game).

Oh, and btw... why can´t I see this game under PC Downloads/New Releases, but stumbled over this thread by following a thread from the CCC section here?

Edited on 01/21/2011 at 7:58:22 AM PST

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Jan 21, 11 8:22 AM
prpldva wrote:Myst was the game that got me seriously hooked on adventure gaming way back in the day. I looked at Wikipedia and it was the best-selling PC game from 1991-2001! WOW!

Here in 2011, it STILL beats the pants of many games now being released and STILL holds the crown as the best selling adventure game.

The puzzles are difficult and brilliant. You will be engrossed with the story and graphics from the moment you step foot onto the island.

As for cost...I think I recall paying 49.99 for this game back in 1991, so grab it at $6.99!

RealMyst also has an additional "Age" or level to play that was not in the original game.

I played this on Windows 7 with no issues.

Can't say it any better and totally agree!!!

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Jan 21, 11 8:25 AM
Ran out of rooom....

Played Myst several times, I can still remember the scenes and sounds, love this game. A classic. Raised the bar for gaming and is still one of the best! (Grim Fandango still is my favorite!, hey BFG hint hint!)

marie1931
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
23,099 Posts

[Post New]by marie1931 on Jan 21, 11 2:48 PM
prpldva wrote:Thanks, Lady_Cav! I was quite honored and excited to do this walkthough. I hope it will help others take a chance and play a wonderful game!

Hi prpldva !

I've just bought the game and , like onelifesdream, I'm feeling nauseated after playing only 5 mn. That's my first 360° game and I really want to play this game. It's late here and I'm a little tired. I will try again tomorrow or sunday and will see if I'm still sick .....

Another thing. The game seems really great, I love the graphics but when I started the intro, I noticed there wasn't subtitles .....

I'm french and wonder if there is dialogus in the game and if there is, is it possible to set up subtitles or not ???

I like playing games in english but most of the games have subtitles.

You know the game so if you can answer my question, I would be very grateful

thanks a lot

marie

marie1931
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
23,099 Posts

[Post New]by marie1931 on Jan 21, 11 2:52 PM
Lady_Cav wrote:...This is a great classic game and will probably be the favorite game of all that I have bought since I've been a member here. I had totally forgotten how expensive these games were when I first purchased them (thanks for pointing that out pupldva)! This is a game that can take days or weeks if you are determined enough to go it alone and figure out everything that needs to be done. It's a gem of a game at a bargain price!

I think It will takes months and maybe years for me .....

I'm so happy to have this game, even it's a 360° game .... even if I'm still sick .... I'll be patient a play only 5mn each day (before getting sick ..... )

Edited on 01/22/2011 at 9:44:45 AM PST

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Jan 21, 11 3:45 PM
I'm all over this one.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if they republished all the Myst games?

Myst was the first game I actually finished, setting the stage for many many more...

I'm not even sure how I stumbled across this release. I bought before even looking on the forum.

nantyglyn
Salmon
Salmon
2,939 Posts

[Post New]by nantyglyn on Jan 21, 11 6:01 PM
WOO HOO!

I'm reliving my past! Although it takes awhile to get used to the 360 movement, and the game is grainy even on my 17" laptop, it's still a blast! If anyone is looking for me this weekend, you'll know where to look for me - in Myst. Good thing my aging brain doesn't remember much about the game.

Yes, it's the same game as some of us played many years ago, and it plays just fine on my 6 1/2 year old machine running XP.

Let the fun begin!

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Jan 21, 11 6:15 PM
marie1931 wrote:
prpldva wrote:Thanks, Lady_Cav! I was quite honored and excited to do this walkthough. I hope it will help others take a chance and play a wonderful game!

Hi prpldva !

I've just bought the game and , like onelifesdream, I'm feeling nauseated after playing only 5 mn. That's my first 360° game and I really want to play this game. It's late here and I'm a little tired. I will try again tomorrow or sunday and will see if I'm still sick .....

Another thing. The game seems really great, I love the graphics but when I started the intro, I noticed there wasn't subtitles .....

I'm french and wonder if there is dialogus in the game and if there is, is it possible to set up subtitles or not ???

I like playing games in english but most of the games have subtitles.

You know the game so if you can answer my question, I would be very grateful

thanks a lot

marie

Hi Marie!

To help with the movement, try using the arrow keys. that way you have a bit more control and can move one step at a time.

Sorry, no subtitles. There is very little dialog- most of it is from the 2 imprisoned in the books. You can have them repeat what they say. All they will say is:

SPOILER- Each will tell you how the other is the bad one and to bring them the pages that match their book. At the end of the game, Atrus, the father will speak, but you can have him repeat the important info.

I hope this helps.

prpldva
Zebrafish
Zebrafish
48,548 Posts

[Post New]by prpldva on Jan 21, 11 6:16 PM
Valdy wrote:It says for the OS requirements you need XP/Vista. Now, because this is an old game, it has been made-over to play on newer OS´s, but I don´t think it will play on W7. (I have seen this game on another site where they will tell you if the game is playable in Windows 7, which this game is not.

And since there are games that play fine with XP and Vista, they won´t necessarily play in Windows 7. Therefore, I think it would be great if in future the OS requirements at the front page where the game is advertised would clearly state if the game is W7 compatible, especially if there is no demo for the game as is the case here. (Although I don´t understand why there is no demo for this game).

Oh, and btw... why can´t I see this game under PC Downloads/New Releases, but stumbled over this thread by following a thread from the CCC section here?

I played on windows 7 with zero issues.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jan 22, 11 1:22 AM
prpldva wrote:I played on windows 7 with zero issues.

Then they must have upgraded it for W7. Thanks for the info, prpldva.

I would still like to know why this game is not listed on the main page - neither in the "Browse Genres" section, nor in the "New Releases". So where can I possibly find this game under?

marie1931
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
23,099 Posts

[Post New]by marie1931 on Jan 22, 11 9:49 AM
Thanks you prpldva

I'm glad there is few dialogues .... and will listen several times what they will say ...

I have to improve my "oral comprehension" ... not sure I can say that ...

skyepearl
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

[Post New]by skyepearl on Jan 22, 11 9:56 AM
I was sooooo excited and bought this game straightaway. I played for all of 15 mins before becoming so , I had to lay down for an hour just to stop the world from spinning and my head pounding. I'm sooooo bummed now. There's no way I can play this and call it fun. If I ever swallow anything poison control considers a no-no, I know what to do!

onelifesdream
Flounder
Flounder
2,271 Posts

[Post New]by onelifesdream on Jan 23, 11 9:52 AM
It plays fine on our W7 32-bit, others are saying it isn't working on their 64-bit though.

@skyepearl, I can completely relate! I was literally sick til last night after playing friday for a short time. It messed with my movement here at the house. I went to pick up my dog and I felt the whole world spin and every time I took a step it was like my brain had to catch up.....it was awful! I've never experienced such nausea and motion sickness from a game before and certainly never lasted so long. I honestly thought I was going to be like that forever cause it just wouldn't end. I had to focus on one thing while moving or I'd get that feeling again. It's like being on a treadmill for a while and when you get off, you still feel like you're moving......that's what it was like for over 24 hours for me.
I am jealous of those that do not have this issue though. I'd love to play! I am unable to play at all. Fiancee' loves it though, so we are keeping it for him. I just can't watch

Edited on 01/23/2011 at 9:53:58 AM PST

Go to: