A letter to BFG

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

A letter to BFG

[Post New]by Nilosh on Jan 22, 11 1:59 AM
Dear BFG
I am once again disappointed at not being able to play this new game. Like many others, I got 'resource unpacking' when downloading and then encountered cryptic texts in game and am not able to play. Rather than once again writing to tech support, I have decided to address this issue in this particular forum. What bothers me is that like many others, I am now hesitant when buying a game. I realize that the benefit of trying out a demo is one of great convenience but usually, I would just read some of the reviews and mostly, just push the buy when it is an IHOG or adventure. Now I find myself reluctant to buying a game without a) trying the DL b) Reading forums c) and/or waiting for fixes. I have been a loyal and zealous customer since the beginning and before I begin my day, the first thing I would do is open the BFG site on my computer. However for the last 4-5 months to my dismay I have encountered many problems with various games and from what I read in the forums, many users have been having similar problems. I also realize that there is still a large consumer group that continues to enjoy BFG games without any problems and that I belong to a minority that does not share this fate. There was a time when I could fill out 3-4 punch cards a month, now for the last 6 months, I barely fill out one. What saddens me is that I have lost my enthusiasm and now am weary when trying out a new game. Reading the forums, I now am witnessing the there is a serious decline in customer satisfaction and I feel that this problem should be addressed by BFG. I am a big fan of BFG and applaud their tech service for their ever so polite and speedy response. I also applaud BFG and realize how strenuous it must be to maintain a business that offers a new product everyday. It is very difficult in any business to meet supply and demand without encountering a few "glitches" along the way. However I would hope that as a long time customer, BFG will acknowledge the fact that there is a definite increase in the number of games with glitches and more discerningly, the issue of game compatibility is now a common complaint amongst many old timers like me. The one thing that saddens me is that I have lost my enthusiasm and am no longer eager at pushing the ' buy' button. I too like a steadfastly growing number of users am looking at other game sites just to see if the same problem exists elsewhere. I hope that the management at BFG will assess the situation and respond to these complaints or at least admit that there is something wrong. Maintaining customer loyalty is always an asset in any business and BFG has always been very eager to please and deliver quality service. I just think that BFG should take this opportunity to address the problem in a different manner rather than just advising customers to take their complaints to Tech support. I like many others am not interested in receiving a refund but would rather keep up the long time tradition of shopping at BFG with upmost confidence and satisfaction. Thank you for allowing me to vent a bit and hope that somehow my message will be taken notice of.

Best regards

Re:A letter to BFG

[Post New]by bigmamachar on Jan 22, 11 2:49 AM
Well said! I completely agree. It's also seems that these problems started happening when they started pushing the collector editions.

[Post New]by battydog1 on Jan 22, 11 2:51 AM
Nicely put! Hopefully your letter will get the attention of those that should read it.
I, like you, play less and less of the games and have begun to look elsewhere.

Journey_1
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by Journey_1 on Jan 22, 11 3:04 AM
Well written. I hope you get an answer directly from Paul or tech support. I'd like to read their reply.

esmeqt
Catfish
Catfish
1,721 Posts

[Post New]by esmeqt on Jan 22, 11 5:23 AM
I, too, got the "resource unpacking" message and was unable to play the game. I've uninstalled and reinstalled a few times, but to no avail. I am quite disappointed as this looks like a really wonderful game.

I think you have spoken for many of us Nilosh. Thank you for putting into words so eloquently the things I have been thinking.

esme

Kalavinka
Clownfish
Clownfish
683 Posts

[Post New]by Kalavinka on Jan 22, 11 5:58 AM
Why are you saddened by the fact that you lost your enthusiasm to push the buy button???? There are so many other things to do. Take all the money you have saved and go do something fun. As you used the word "zealot" to describe how you felt about playing the games-- it seems to me that any moderation of interests might be a positive development.

As for the technical concerns- I have a Smanatha Swift game that I bought from another game site that has never run on my computer. I did not get a replacement credit, customer service pretty much told me that the game was issued during an older build of windows (something that was not listed in the computer requirements) and that I would have to get the proper equipment to run the game (I am running XP by the way). These technical glitches occur on all sites-- the difference being that BF at least refunds your purchase.

Also, if you continue to get errors than it might mean that your graphics card is out of date. Is your computer old? Mine is ten years old and I am continually having to swap out parts to get things to work.-Kala
P.S. You are not venting- you are polite and well spoken. I might be teasing you, but I do hope that the problem is with BF and that they are able to fix it soon for you.

Edited on 01/22/2011 at 6:02:06 AM PST

[Post New]by kimfitz2632 on Jan 22, 11 7:59 AM
My thoughts exactly!!

elhar02
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by elhar02 on Jan 22, 11 8:27 AM
Nilosh, great response. I have absolutely "nothing" that is outdated in my computer -- it is less than 1 yr. old -- and have never had any problems downloading, trialing or purchasing any other game from BF -- TG!!!! This is an absolute "first" for me considering all the games I have bought. Yesterday I purchased the new "Treasure Seekers" CE game after the fix and no problem at all.

Like you, I too was hesitatant to trial TGT this morning for fear that something else would happen -- "once bitten twice shy" -- but it worked fine with no problems as far as I got and I quite enjoyed what I played. Know where you're coming from re when I see a game that I might like I automatically pushed the Buy Button but now I read about any technical issues before trialing or buying. Never did that before.

I really feel that we all go along feeling everything is just "peachy keen" as long as we have no problems but once a problem(s) surface then we tend to get irrate and wonder why, all of a sudden, something is happening with a game(s) and our first thought -- at least mine -- is wondering if something's wrong with our puters -- if that's the case I wouldn't have a clue!!!! I did send a to CS and am waiting for their answer.

You have definitely "hit the nail on the head" Many thanks.

MissMoraduke
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

[Post New]by MissMoraduke on Jan 22, 11 9:06 AM
I kinda agree with Nilosh, I now read the forms and ALWAYS play the hour Demo, to see if it works, and that I like the game. I think we all are getting pickier on the games we buy. I have only bought 2 CE games, and didnt think I needed to at the end, its just a "Oh I need that game now" but after a couple days I realize I can wait till it comes out later. I have one thought tho, as these games are getting to be more upscale as you will, with a lot more going on, their might be problems with them on certain computers. As you see, some games run on some, and some games wont, it depends what you have in your own computer.
Big Fish cant test every computer, all they can tell you is to send them your computer info, to see if you have everything up to date. At least you wont loose money with them.
There are games I can play that others cant, the 2 games that just wont play for me are Drawn, (I loved it till it stopped) and Deadtime Stories ( which I loved also)
some of these new ones that just came out that people had trouble with will play for me, go figure!
Bye

AkerWoman
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by AkerWoman on Jan 22, 11 9:16 AM
Dear Nilosh -

Hear, Hear! Very well put. I also have been a long time club member and was completely happy until recently. I very rarely had a problem with a game and had to be careful not to overspend. Your comments about Tech support are the same I've experienced - they are responsive and very helpful. I think you are correct these issues, with all the game problems lately, need to be addressed.

Thank you for so eloquently describing your and many other game club members' frustration.

tesco
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by tesco on Jan 22, 11 9:45 AM
i have to agree with what you have said but i seem to think these problems have only started since you introduced CE games i no its very frustrating but all i do is wait until the tech team see to the glitches but it would be nice of bf if they did look into this problem and if they can get it sorted i have been with big fish form the begining and used to bets test games for them but they have not sent any to me for a long time so i dont no if this still happens come on bf make us all happy again

marypenn
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by marypenn on Jan 22, 11 10:01 AM
Thanks, all, for writing. I read the tech concerns before I buy and play the demo. My beef is that the trial works fine and, when I purchase, the problems begin. This doesn`t matter if I start a new profile or not. I have CEs as bad as SEs.
I am staying with BF, at least for now, as the customer support is fabulous.
m

elhar02
Guppy
Guppy
149 Posts

[Post New]by elhar02 on Jan 22, 11 10:53 AM
Not being a compter tech by any means whatsoever, and knowing absolutely nothing except to download games and hope that they work I am certainly not the best resource for info. Have to admit that in all the games I've played and trialed over the last few months this is the first game that gave me problems -- guess that's a good thing. My only thought is, from a busines point of view, that BF should address any various computer problems from the get-go. Am sure these various offerings of games have been tested by developers on a certain computer and then again re-tested by BF (along with others who betaed them with various types of puters) before release and received all the feedback necessary. I would really like to see something on the "Games Page" when introducing a new game that addresses that certain computer OS's might have a problem -- am sure they have had this type of feedback from various beta testers. I just betaed a new Match 3 game this morning and made sure to state that I have Windows 7, 64 bit and had no problems. Perhaps this should be added to their surveys -- i.e., what type of OS are your using!!!!! That would then alert potential trial or buyers. This, to me, would save BF money in the long run without having to issue credits when games don't work on a certain system. I know they're in the business to make money when people buy a game but if they have to end up giving a credit thru all the various complaints then they are no further ahead of the "game"!!

If I saw something on a trial download which alerted me that a specific game didn't work with a certain computer OS I wouldn't even bother.

Just my thoughts for what's it worth.

bigjan1
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by bigjan1 on Jan 22, 11 11:01 AM
I agree with Nilosh, I also have problem with stroke of Midnight & Enternal Night,

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Jan 22, 11 11:08 AM
Thank you for an eloquent and well-thought-out letter Nilosh. I fear that, especially since it is a Saturday, the appropriate people won't see it. Have you thought of sending it as a PM to picman? He would see that it got to the right people at BFG.

kaffeepot
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by kaffeepot on Jan 22, 11 1:28 PM
I so agree, it was very hard to get things to work , I gave up in frustration, so glad I didn't buy it.
I refuse to buy collectors editions, to much money for me

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

[Post New]by Nilosh on Jan 22, 11 3:02 PM
lilyr wrote:Thank you for an eloquent and well-thought-out letter Nilosh. I fear that, especially since it is a Saturday, the appropriate people won't see it. Have you thought of sending it as a PM to picman? He would see that it got to the right people at BFG.

Thank you everyone for your kind words and I hope that we all will be able to get some sort of feedback from BFG. Lilyr, I am not familiar with picman, how do I find him? Thank you in advance for your help. Wishing everyone a happy week-end. Cheers.

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jan 22, 11 6:05 PM
The problem is not just with games released on BigFish. I have only ever encountered one game that didn't work/wasn't compatible with my operating system and graphics card so I've been one of the lucky ones. But I will say this. Out of any other gaming website I have tried, I have had less problems running games with BigFish than with others AND customer service is willing to work with you and your system to see if there is a fix or work around. If not-credit issued. This is excellent customer service and should not be overlooked.

More and more games being released are requiring up-to-date graphics cards. It is extremely important to update your operating system and all media software including graphics cards on your PC. The quality of the games are getting better; therefore, there has been an increase in the number of members that have issues running them on their system. If updating your graphics card doesn't fix the issue and tech support cannot help you and you consistently run into this issue, it may be time to splurge for a new PC. I know-bad economy-I'm long-term unemployed myself; however, as the games and graphics continue to improve, the need for a decent graphics card becomes necessary.

This really is not the fault of Big Fish. They are always willing to assist but members are demanding better games, we are getting used to high quality games, but that comes at a price: the possibility that our systems may be out of date and not able to play them.

While I do not have the same issue, I can emphasize with the issue. Nothing is more frustrating that not being able to play a really good game. Tech support is a great resource. Have you tried the download from them that gathers info from your PC and sends it to tech support so it allows them to look at your system very thoroughly and identify the issue rather than trial and error? I forget the name of this new tool they have but I have seen it on the site. I think it's "Dr. Felix" or something like that.

One thing I can assure you. Going to another gaming site will not help your situation any. Customer Service elsewhere sucks and the games, no matter what site they are from, will still demand the same level of hardware/graphics/media to run properly.

I hope this helps a little. Depending on what type of PC you have, you may just be able to switch to a newer graphics card without having to invest in a new PC if that ends up to be the problem.

Happy gaming and I hope that the issue gets resolved!

Gentlsong
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,865 Posts

[Post New]by Gentlsong on Jan 22, 11 7:09 PM
elhar02 wrote:

If I saw something on a trial download which alerted me that a specific game didn't work with a certain computer OS I wouldn't even bother.

Just my thoughts for what's it worth.

My guess is that it is VERY RARELY simply the OS that causes problems. It can be a combination of several parts of the computer that make a game SEEM to be incompatible with a certain OS. And I've seen MANY instances on these forums where some users will claim that a particular game doesn't work with their OS (usually Windows 7 at this point), and other users have no problem at all running the same game on the same OS on their computers. In other words, just because some people have problems running a game on a particular OS, it usually isn't the OS that's causing the problems especially when others have no problems with it. Therefore, stating that a game doesn't work with a particular OS is VERY limiting, and I would think cause more lost business from possible buyers who wouldn't give it a try when the OS itself probably isn't the reason for the problems.

hd2222
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by hd2222 on Jan 22, 11 8:11 PM
Nilosh, thank you for expressing my exact feelings of late. For me, mornings of anticipation for a new BFG have become mornings of trepidation. Instead of immediately downloading to play a trial, I consult the forum for any technical problems ... never mind any reviews be they great or not. How Sad! I have been a member for many years as evidenced by the many games purchased. Until the past few 4 or 5 months, I never had a problem with a game not working on my computer. If it is a case of requiring a newer/sophisticated bells and whistles computer to enable me to play the games BFG offers, then guess I'll have to opt out of my membership. This game site, and any other, has become for me a means of entertainment - second only to reading. With the level of frustration I now have with the frequent problems that have been occuring, methinks I'll spend my monies on books ..at least THEY are edited. I appreciate that there are those who have no problems at all with any BFG, and envy you the capability to actually play some of excellent games that have been a no-go for me. I must wonder, however, just exactly how many OTHER members of those "over a million downloads" are also having problems but don't bother to complain. Yes CS is great, but why waste MY precious time just to play a game. Been there, done that. And now, on to Kindle.

Go to: