cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for The Secret Legacy: A Kate Brooks Adventure

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jan 23, 11 1:02 AM
What a huge disappointment after getting all excited at seeing the name Benoit Sokal and waiting for that enormous download.

Why am I disappointed you ask ...

This game is only playable in windowed mode because that is the only mode in which I can see the list of items that I have to find otherwise you only see the last four letters if the name of the item is long ... if it is a short name you don't see anything at all.

So for all you out there with your widescreen monitors who have been complaining about black bars down the sides, I now feel more sympathy but at least you could play the other games, alas I can't play this one because my eyes are not good enough to play in windowed mode.

I suppose it serves me right for not buying a widescreen monitor but I much prefer the squarer one I have.

Have fun everyone.

Cherb

Edited on 01/23/2011 at 9:19:08 AM PST

isis1313
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Secret Legacy: A Kate Brooks Adventure

[Post New]by isis1313 on Jan 23, 11 1:08 AM
Hello,
try adjusting your monitor settings, mine adjusted as soon as I hit the button and I don't have a widescreen either. I love this one, I like when you can pan from one side to the other. I started in regular mode but think I will restart in expert mode now that I know what to look for regarding the lists etc...seems like this way will present more of a challenge. Definitely buying this one!!

Edited on 01/23/2011 at 1:10:51 AM PST

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Jan 23, 11 1:14 AM
An old story but this has nice graphics and I don't mind playing a similar story yet again. Some items are very small which might be a problem. Don't forget to scroll left and right in order to find everything.

I had a glitch after 10 min. (see the technical issues thread) which some others have also. I will try this game again later after I see if there will be a fix/update.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jan 23, 11 1:19 AM
But what settings are you using? I bought the game after 30 minutes even though it does have some flaws...I am a hog addict and have already finished the last three. But this one will disappoint many as the objects are small and difficult to find. You have to hit a faint arrow key at the bottom to move the scene from side to side and after the user friendly games we have had, this is tedious. Also there isn't a zoom feature. But I am intrigued enough to play it anyway. Thank goodness for the hint button. Have used it once on almost every scene, so don't know how fast it reloads. I have a wide screen monitor and the top part of the scene is cut off, making it difficult to read the uppermost line...so I have to guess. Also doesn't do full screen, and is slightly off center on my monitor. Haven't noticed any sound effects, and have the music low in the background. Have a feeling this one is not going to be a favorite, but I have played much worse.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jan 23, 11 1:39 AM

Really love this game and could not pull myself away from the demo which auto stopped at 60 minutes.

Not easy, great graphics, great game play with scrolling, expert mode available and seems like it will be a long game - at least, for me.

Bought it and I'm heading back now to continue playing!

P.S. The game works perfectly for me and is in full screen on my 22 inch monitor.

Edited on 01/23/2011 at 1:43:34 AM PST

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jan 23, 11 1:54 AM
I'm not sure about this game. I got 3 of the tablets in first 45 minutes...anyone know the length of this game?
Not the most interesting iHOG ever, many items to find are tiny. Quite like the scrolling in each scene.
Plays fine on my widescreen laptop, but I have to click on everything twice to get a response.
Seems a bit dated as far as graphics and game play go. I feel it's more of a straight HOG, with a little bit of interaction thrown in.

Edited to say I think it lazy of the game devs to give you fragments to find, but no puzzle to construct the resulting letter, mirror, picture etc yourself! Shame, as jigsaws are my fave puzzles in iHOGs!

Edited on 01/23/2011 at 2:21:00 AM PST

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jan 23, 11 2:19 AM
What are your settings on your wide screen set at? Most games play full screen on mine too, but there are a few that haven't...black bars on the side...but I don't even get the full game scene, as the top part is cut off. I am now stuck because I can't click on the object that is off my screen.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Jan 23, 11 2:22 AM
Thank you all for the great comments and reviews. It is an unsure for me. I do not like having to pan right and left and with some objects being so small, I was going back and forward seeing if I had missed things on the floor! At first I was tapping the arrows to go left and right and got a penalty for it! YUK! I did learn to just hold them down I too agree with goofy about the light filtering. Another archaeologist! There are some great professions out there, why can they not choose something else? LOL! As I said, unsure....... Have fun all

besstan
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by besstan on Jan 23, 11 2:26 AM
this game not for me sorry besstan

glb613
Guppy
Guppy
176 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for The Secret Legacy: A Kate Brooks Adventure

[Post New]by glb613 on Jan 23, 11 2:26 AM
cherbtoo wrote: What a huge disappointment after getting all excited at seeing the name Benoit Sokal and waiting for that enormous download.

Why am I disappointed you ask ...

This game is only playable in windowed mode because that is the only mode in which I can see the list of items that I have to find otherwise you only see the last four letters if the name of the item is long ... if it is a short name you don't see anything at all.

So for all you out there with your widescreen monitors who have been complaining about black bars down the sides, I now feel more sympathy but at least you could play the other games, alas I can't play this one because my eyes are not good enough to play in windowed mode.

I suppose it serves me right for not buying a widescreen monitor but I much prefer the squarer one I have.

Have fun everyone.

Cherb

You may have your display resolution set too low or your monitor is too small. My 23 inch widescreen monitor shows everything and it's crystal clear. Another reason, your video card/chip doesn't meet the minimum requirements.

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Jan 23, 11 2:30 AM
Nice game. Objects are sometimes small enough to offer a bit of a challenge, puzzles are also quite decent. The scroll works well and the hand drawn graphics are nicely done. You can turn off sparkles (thank you) and it plays nicely on my 22" widescreen monitor. Nothing to complain about a all. Judging by the file size it should be a good length as well without being a CE. A buy for me definitely.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Jan 23, 11 2:45 AM
Thanks for the tip about her expressions changing. I hadn't noticed that! Loved the graphics and the lighting. Very gentle feel to it. Music lovely too. It's a buy for me. I'm interested in the story. I usually don't like silhouettes, but I'll make an exception in this case.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Jan 23, 11 3:00 AM
I feel for folks who are having display problems with this game--I half expected the same after reading a couple of early reviews and tech issue postings.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but after about 30 minutes into the demo, the game seems to be running just fine. I've got your vanilla HP 17" full-screen monitor--without touching any settings, all the displays (object lists, hint, inventory, menu, etc.) are as they should be--nothing partially or wholly off-screen (sorry about your glitch, cherb).

The title is a bit misleading, IMO--instead of "Adventure," it should probably read "Hidden-Object Experience," because that's mostly what it appears to be. Grandma's office (which we have to straighten up) and the library are chock-full of items listed either by name or by silhouette (both of which are fine by me). The graphics are colorful and very detailed, but some of the "stuff" is quite a challenge to find. The left-and-right 3D scrolling is akin to "The Clockwork Man," except you need to rely on dim arrows at the bottom of the screen to move, rather than just putting the cursor to the left or right edge to scroll. No voice-acting, but the dialogue boxes are short and sweet and to the point.

Certainly, after only this far into the demo, I can't even guess on game length, but with a file size this large, I suspect several hours.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Jan 23, 11 3:32 AM
Thanks for all the great reviews.

I had to buy this game. Love the graphics nice and clear and I am hooked on the story.

Only improvement I would have liked is voice lol love those voice games.

Happy gaming to everyone

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Jan 23, 11 4:32 AM
Thanks for the great reviews everyone - they let me know what to expect and what potential problems to watch out for.For example, when I saw that several reviews mentioned "scanning" so you could access the sides of the scene, I was instantly on allert - I get severely motionsick from panning screens and the 360 degree thing. This wasn't bad at all - there is a nice little scroll bar at the bottom of the screen, and you click and hold the arrows to move the view left or right. I certainly prefer that to having the scene swoop around every time I move my mouse! If the motion starts to get to me, I just need to place my curser, look away so I don't see the motion, and click and hold for a few seconds. Then I can get on with my game.

I will probably buy, but I'm still a bit on the fence. The graphics are extremely sharp, finely detailed, crisp edges, no fuzziness or blurring. That's great, but it allowed the devs to make many of the objects very identifyable while being very, very tiny. Once you spot it you know exactly what it is, but spotting it is difficult! This is not necessarily a bad thing, but could get tedious after a while.

Don't make my mistake and click the word "Hint" instead of the pocketwatch thing below it. If you do that, you get a very "helpful" text box which tells you that you need to find the things on the list or the silhouettes. DUH!!!! Now where is it???? I was ready to scream until I realized I was clicking in the wrong spot - I guess I should have done the tutorial after all.

Certainly it's very heavy on the HOG, light on the iHOG, but I can't complain about that - if I didn't LIKE hidden object scenes, I wouldn't even dowload the demo. I have developed a taste for the iHOG, though, so I'm hoping the story perks up a bit as I get further into the game.

BTW, the viewable area of my screen is 17" wide, 10-1/2" tall. Does that qualify as "widescreen?" The game completely filled my screen with no black edges or missing elements. I have my screen resolution set at 1680x1050.

bettums
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by bettums on Jan 23, 11 4:38 AM
I did not like this at all. Of course I only played about ten minutes. After it took me at least ten clicks to get the baseball bat I was really getting frustrated. I did not like the left to right movement with the arrow. I don't mind moving from one side to the other but didn't like the use of the arrow. It ran very slowly. I got as far as the library with the flashlight and had enough. Definitely not a buy for me.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Jan 23, 11 4:52 AM
vicalana wrote:Thanks for the tip about her expressions changing. I hadn't noticed that! Loved the graphics and the lighting. Very gentle feel to it. Music lovely too. It's a buy for me. I'm interested in the story. I usually don't like silhouettes, but I'll make an exception in this case.

I have been looking and looking at her face and I have not seen any changes
boo hoo.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Jan 23, 11 5:36 AM
Update to estimate length of game: I just finished the demo, and I just "arrived" in Egypt. I didn't use the walkthrough at all to play, but I checked it to see my progress. I am about 1/3 through the walkthrough at this point, so I am guessing it will take me about 3 hours to complete the game. Not too short (there were a couple this week that were well under 2 hours for the average gamer) but not the longest, either.

I think I'll wait a bit before purchasing - I am enjoying the game play, but I've been spending too much on short games lately. I'll replay Spirit Seasons on Expert mode to watch the alternate ending, and if I'm still interested in what Kate finds in Egypt, I'll buy this afternoon. It's a cold, cold day here in Michigan (-10 windchill this morning, 0 for the actual temp) so I don't plan on going anywhere for a while!

rainice
Minnow
Minnow
293 Posts

[Post New]by rainice on Jan 23, 11 5:44 AM
I just finishe the demo and really enjoyed it. It is a straight forward game with easy to understand objectives. I was able to find a good portion of objects on my own and for those I couldn't the hint system shows exactly where the object is. Also as far as I could see there is no misclick penalty, at least I was never faced with it When I finished with the demo I did a quick run through the walk through to check if it looked like something I would continue to enjoy and it does. For the time being this is being put at the top of the list for my next game credit, but I may end up getting it sooner.

momshere
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by momshere on Jan 23, 11 5:52 AM
Uninstalled after 10 minutes due to two words - PIXEL HUNTING

I could SEE the objects, I could click on them but couldn't "pick them up". When I spent nearly half the 10 minutes attempting to pick up first the telephone, then the baseball bat (after I finally got the telephone and was able to move on), I just said forget it. I don't want to have to FIND. JUST. THE. RIGHT. PIXEL. to be able to pick up an object I have found. Like trying to pick hair off a sweater. *shudder*

Go to: