gpherder
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dream Chronicles: The Book of Air Collector's Edition

[Post New]by gpherder on Jul 1, 10 5:29 PM
Like so many of you, I jumped in and bought this game, because the previous DC games were so fabulous.

That will teach me not to read comments before leaping in. I could almost have finished this game in the trial period offered, it definitely was NOT worth my $19.95. I am very disappointed in BFG in the offering of this piece of horse manure.

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dream Chronicles: The Book of Air Collector's Edition

[Post New]by littleoldlady on Jul 2, 10 5:02 AM
i have bought and thoroughly enjoyed the first three games in this series. For the first time ever, I couldn't wait for the regular version to be released. I bought the collector's edition. I understood that this edition had, in addition to features like wallpaper and the strategy guide, additional game content.

While the graphics were beautiful, the game was very short and the puzzles were not interesting. The storyline was dull. Lyra acknowledged her mission, but failed to impart any real urgency or passion. My overall feeling about this games was very ****-hum.

I will not buy any more collector's editions. And, I encourage anyone considering the purchase of this game to wait for the regular edition.

[Post New]by littleoldlady on Jul 2, 10 5:15 AM
Just for the record. The ***-hum in my previous post was hohum with a hyphen, not an expletive. BF, your filtering is a little excessive.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jul 2, 10 6:55 AM
this game while dissapointing by the standards set by the previous three dc games is not that bad. however it is certainly not worth the ce price!

[Post New]by sadiebugsmom on Jul 2, 10 8:50 AM
Add my voice to the discontented! Sorry to say that I am having difficulty gathering up enough enthusiasm even to finish this game once through. So boring. And why? I cannot put my finger on it. I'm not even finding the artwork enthralling. Agreed that the girl's voice is irritating -- thank God for muting. Puzzles are just . . . blah. I simply do not care about the girl, her journey, or her stupid note-leaving grandpa. Loved DC 1 & 2 -- DC 3 a little less so, but still good . . . hmmm . . . am I just getting crotchety? Seems like so long since I've played a knock-me-out-stay-up-all-night awesome game. I don't blame BFG -- this is a Playfirst. Should be a Playlast or Playnever. I guess I'll just sit and wait for the next MCF installment from BFG or Westward V from Sandlot (oh please, oh please, oh please). Will also try some of the others suggested on this thread. Sorry for the rant. I feel better now.

This won't sour me on Collectors' Editions, though. Sometimes you win; sometimes you lose. And some CE's have been well worth the price. At least I got 3 stamps, eh?

eirini51
Lobster
Lobster
84 Posts

[Post New]by eirini51 on Jul 2, 10 1:15 PM
As always the graphics are beautiful. However, the game itself is not so good as it has caused me hours of dissapointment in trying to solve some of the puzzels. I am stuck on the blue crystals in the music chapter. I have tried every combination when placing the tiles but to no avail none of them will stay put. There is an inherent fault in this game which I cannot fathom. Perhaps the developers would like to change this particular puzzel or alternatively give it a "skip" choice. I feel that I have wasted my money, to say the least

auntym
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by auntym on Jul 2, 10 5:34 PM
Definitely not worth the money. Beautiful graphics but no real story. The demo intrigued me but I thought it would grow from there. It didn't. It was disjointed and seemed thrown together. The in-game walkthrough was more like a story-line. It told you what to do but not how to do it. The bonus chapter was a joke. I guess if you really, really like jigsaw puzzles, $13 for 5 of them might not seem like a rip-off. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. I won't be fooled again. I'll not make an assumption based on past games.

Edited on 07/02/2010 at 5:35:37 PM PST

[Post New]by loverof5cats on Jul 3, 10 6:31 PM
What a disappointment, after the first 3 chapters I had to buy this one. Should have burned the 20.00 I spent (actually more as I pay in Canadian funds) I surely won't be purchasing another CE regardless of the game after this BORING game. Very disappointed.

[Post New]by Quadrat1c on Jul 3, 10 11:12 PM
I too like the Dream Chronicles but this one left me lacking for a better word. The strategy guide was absolutely useless. There were sentences missing, pages missing and didn't help much if one got stuck. Wish I had waited for the 6.99 version to come out. The game was also way too short. Seemed to have been put together in a hurry.

[Post New]by iheartcoasters on Jul 4, 10 12:57 AM
I too felt like this was a chapter in the new game. I am really disappointed I shelled out $20 for this game! I really enjoyed the previous versions of dream chronicles and thought they were challenging , this game wasn't even close.

[Post New]by Wifey0429 on Jul 4, 10 12:32 PM
Did this game seem way easier and shorter than the other Dream Chronicles? For me, it seemed way too short. I wizzed through it so quickly, I was greatly disappointed at the end.

Also, the bonus Chapter was kind of a cop-out.

Enjoyed the game for the most part, but I definately expected more for the $19.95 Collectors Edition price tag.

stollies1
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by stollies1 on Jul 5, 10 12:43 AM
I'm very disappointed with the latest episode in the Dream Chronicles. The other 3 had much less dialogue and you felt drawn into the world, very like Myst. Peaceful and magical. Not this one. Grand-dad and the kid never shut up. Its too short, too simple and too expensive. I loved the other 3 and this is sorely lacking

sm100554
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by sm100554 on Jul 5, 10 8:09 AM
DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!!! What a waste of money. Very disappointed in this, since the other Dream games are so good. Not even worth 6.99..Short game, hints stink, not up to par with other " collector editions". Read additional comments from other disappointed gamers.

Just not worth the price

[Post New]by Scarlettoy on Jul 6, 10 9:34 AM
I have loved the Dream Chronicles series. But this one leaves me upset I spent the money. I was over and done playing the entire game with in an afternoon. The graphics are wonderful as usual but the game was just not challenging and did not have enough levels for the price.

kathycot
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by kathycot on Jul 6, 10 1:37 PM
My sister and I give this two thumbs down!!!! It was not worth the money I paid for it and I feel ripped off!! It was very easy! We have done all the other Dream Chronicles and I have yet to finish the last two.....not because of anything but the difficulty of them. Now I will admit I really did not care for the last one either. I did not care for the girls voice;I found it very annoying and it was the same thing each time! I used the strategy guide only a couple of times and that was only to get my bearings!! Puzzles were extremely simple.......not what you expect from Dream Chronicles! Very Very disappointed!

Edited on 07/06/2010 at 1:41:21 PM PST

[Post New]by WingedWonder on Jul 8, 10 7:29 AM
Well, as I completed the game (I bought it in a gaming store before I discovered this forum... I hope I won't be blamed for that.), here's my review. Sorry if it's too long...(Sorry for all the typos, my English is not very good)
Story.To be honest, I didn't liked it very much. All you know is that you're trapped in a parallel dimension and need to find a way to get out. But I won't focus on it too much because this game will have a continuation.
Sound.Great sound, as always. The SFX was good and the music was relaxing and beautiful. The voice acting was also good, the only thing I didn't liked was Lyra's voice, it was a little bit annoying at times...
Gameplay. The only reason it was challenging for me is that some things were badly explained. I could never guess to put the map on the airship's wall, or the three "symbols" challenge in the three books in the classroom. The other thing were really easy, even looking for microscopic dream jewels. One of the minigames was annoying, in which you need to burn the coal to make the airship fly. It was fun at first, but then it became irritating.
Overall, it was pretty disappointing, but I have big hopes for the sequel.

Edited on 07/08/2010 at 7:30:10 AM PST

eponym
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by eponym on Jul 9, 10 7:29 AM
I felt let down also.
The other Dream Chronicles had so much more to offer. This was a relatively quick play. Whereas I had immersed myself for hours in the earlier parts of the series her with The Book of Air I felt as if I was barely challenged. Too Quick - Too Easy! It was drawn beautifully though.

XanthFan
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by XanthFan on Jul 9, 10 9:54 AM
I have to agree with the general comments that the game is too short and un-challenging. This was the first DC game other than the first that I did not use a walk through or a hint. I played all of the DC games out of order, ( I started with #3).
The graphics are out standing and the story would have worked IF the challenges were, well, challenging.

I went ahead and played it through three times, the first time in casual mode and the next two times in challenger mode. the funny thing is the first time was more challenging than the two times in challenger mode.

Please review the next chapter and make the challenges more like the first three.

Hide the dream pieces and dream jewels
Avoid the same shapes in jigsaw puzzles (boring) Go to Jigzone and look at their puzzle shapes.
Make the fuel stones harder to find and separated into different piles so we have to search to find them. then allow us to gather more than "one-lump-sum" After all the place to put them holds three extra rows.
Add an option to Mute narrative, we can read faster and hearing it for a second or third time through is annoying and so is having to click multiple times to shut them up.
If you're going to break something apart that we have to put back together hid the pieces in several scenes similar to the knights in #3
The maze in #2 was better than 3 because we had to search for other things within the maze. This game had nothing to really search for. Everything was in plain sight.

I liked the Nexus and having to make the molds in #3
#3 had several different challenges per chapter and so did #2. That is what We all Loved about them and we were really let down by this one. They were challenging but still do-able.
This one, is a flop in comparison.
As a game in its own right, the challenges compare with playing a game of go fish with a six year old.
Sorry about the reference to fish.
All in all there are a lot of good challenges in the first three but not this one.
The artists do fabulous work, just needs a better story, more challenging puzzles,and more to do.

If the makers are looking for a story for a new game, tell them to start reading the Xanth series of books by Piers Anthony. Now there's a good game story and it is already written.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jul 9, 10 10:56 AM
As I loved the 3 previous games, I bought this one straight away when it appeared. Kept it for a while as I was sure I was ahead of few hours of great pleasure. I was far wrong. This game is not a game, rather a chapter of a game. So short and frustrating. Graphics are superb, Lyra's voice dreadful, extra play ridiculously short that's about all there is to say. Not worth 20 dollars (more for me with the taxes euro/dollar). I am sooooooooo disappointed, angry and sorry for myself buying a game on its past goodness and ending up with a screw.

[Post New]by goodfight97 on Jul 9, 10 3:35 PM

I saw the name Dream Chronicles and jumped at the chance to play another of these beautiful and challenging games. Even though it was $19.99, I bought it... but...

I was most disappointed with this game. I have played the past games and they were challenging and beautiful. This game seemed like a coloring book compared to the others. I played the demo and assumed there would be lots more coming, but there isn't. I bought it and played for an hour and was done !!!&^%*(* I kept looking to see if I missed something, but that was all there was - no challenges. Even finding the keys was beyond easy - you went to the location, to find a key, and there it was - big, and right in front - hard to miss. That was the way the whole game went - the only slight challenge was the blue stones and their figures, but that's it.

Makes me nervous about buying another Dream Chronicle game. ;-(

Go to: