Re:Your Comments and Reviews for The Great Gatsby

[Post New]by doofenschmurtz on Sep 5, 11 7:19 AM
It really Is Great.The scenes are spectacular the mansion is georgeos you get to drive arund town looking for thing definetly worth picking up on sale Doof

Bhilithinn
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by Bhilithinn on Feb 5, 12 9:04 AM
This was a fabulous game. I was impressed from start to finish.

I have to disagree with the person who said "if you haven't read the book, don't post". I haven't read the book (although I certainly plan to after playing the game). I knew enough about the story to understand the context, and I happen to be a literature buff (English major, widely read) and I enjoy learning about history. So sorry....I am posting anyway .

I know some people didn't like the music, but I loved it. It set the scene perfectly for me. I loved the way the story was handled, I loved the game play, I loved the variety in the game play. So glad I bought this game.

CLEMONSTWAIN
Guppy
Guppy
103 Posts

[Post New]by CLEMONSTWAIN on May 1, 12 9:59 AM

I am thoroughly enjoying this game. I've read the book and watched the movie but that is not the issue here. The game is a delight because the dev's put so much effort into giving us an interesting challenge. Good graphics, size of objects, additional games, even the music is not abrasive. The voice over works and like the music if annoying to you just click the mute option.
I'm offering a review. If I have a comment I will post in another area.

Thank you BF for a terrific way to spend the day.

coins

[Post New]by grannybiehl on May 7, 12 2:52 PM
I love this game. Have played over and over trying to beat my score,however, I cannot find the 10 coins ,I can only find 9. Can anyone help me. PLEASE!

dollyflower
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,373 Posts

[Post New]by dollyflower on Jun 6, 12 3:58 PM
I just finished playing the game for the first time. I demoed it the first time around and didn't like it, but I guess I've changed my tastes. The searching was a little hard on my eyes and gave me a headache, but it was worth it. I loved the music. This game is different and greatly appreciated!

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Jul 16, 12 11:55 AM
Played the demo....I liked the game ok, but couldn't figure out what was going on in the story because the dialogue was going on during game play (I have to play with the sound off) which was annoying to me. I liked the parts where you had to do things in the scenes, but the graphics weren't the best for me. I really liked the fact that they took a classic book and made it into a game, just wish the game play were better and I could keep up with the story itself, having never read the book. A much anticipated break from the dark, occult games, just wish the actual quality of the game was up to par.

MaryLent
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by MaryLent on Aug 20, 12 5:39 PM
I finished this game. Loved the music, the gameplay, and the rewards. It covers the book very well, voice overs were good graphics , great!
If some people have not been exposed to this literature, well, they may be surprised. I, myself was surprised by some of the comments. Mixing alcoholic beverages. Good heavens! Damned coward, oh my! This is what was wrote folks! You didn't know what you were getting into!

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Sep 2, 12 2:25 PM
This game holds to the book as well as most movies adhere to the books they portray. I will admit that it is not politically correct, but that is just modern values being forced on others. If you think that it is too violent, try Grand Theft Auto. Before you condemn me as a brute, I have never laid a finger on my wife of nearly 50 years, and do not condone it in any way. Violence is never good, but I also don't condone rewriting history. Leave the classics alone. Even Huckleberry Finn is being condemned for racism. My theory is if you don't like it don't read it, but don't tell me I can't read it.

[Post New]by mooncat1950 on Oct 19, 12 11:01 AM
I really liked this game! Not only did it have a great story line, but the game play was new and interesting. The only part I didn't like was the typing - because I can't type very well :-). I am very much looking forward to more games of this type. Keep up the good work devs and BFG!

sansha
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by sansha on Oct 22, 12 3:55 PM
Teach496 wrote:I did the demo of this on another site and I loved it. It was so refreshing to have a HOG with objects where they are in real life. I also liked that I wasn't traipsing around Egypt looking in junk piles of ipods and cell phones for my missing grandfather/husband/magic box to release the demon curse!
Its only one person's opinion, but the game follows the book quite well and I, for one, enjoyed the dialog and the period music.
A much anticipated buy for me.

I am with you Teach. It is quite a refreshing game, with no ghosts, demons, dripping blood and vampires. We all have to understand that the rich lived this way in the 20's. I bought this game, and love it. Y'all can keep your inventory, strategy guides and disease ridden HOG's. I enjoy this game a lot.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 19, 13 8:05 PM
b00kworm wrote:I'm with you when it comes to a game based on a book staying true to that book. As I'm German, "The Great Gatsby" was not school reading material (though there's quite some books you don't get away from at school in Germany, too), and I have never read the story before.

While domestic violence surely is a topic of its own, it is part of the story. In the 1920s, the time where the story is set, both alcohol and domestic violence were seen completely different from today. Besides, the scene tells us a lot about some main characters (the man and his mistress) and thus has a reason to be there. It's not just violence for violence's sake.

If the game had changed the approach of the main characters to either of these topics, it would no longer be true to the novel. Then it would just be a game borrowing a well-know title (well, well-known in the US at least) and bending the story any way it sees fit. That's not a game based on a novel at all, then.

Thank you for such a thoughtful discussion of this game! I, as an American, did read the book in high school and realize that it referenced its time period beautifully. It's a classic, and I'm glad the game developers paid attention to that. A buy for me.

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 21, 13 8:59 PM
I am as engrossed in this game as I was in The Gold Bug, except this game is proving to be more addictive.
There's such a nice mixture of story, HOS, find 5 of these, 10 of those, etc., as well as cool stuff to collect, like books and letters that form words I assume will be used later in the game. There's also scenes that scroll through conversations that move the story along, and they contain more stuff to find, like stars.
You also have a library where you get to see your trophies and buy items to make the room more to your liking.
The hint system is excellent, and recharges quickly, as well as a "guess the word" button that lets you out of finding all the letters if you want to,( but I like looking for them!).
I find it hard to stop playing this game! Highly recommended!

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Jan 25, 13 4:15 PM
Just finished the game and it was just wonderful! So much fun to "play" the novel that I remember from high school, but with all the poignant additions like the music and the languid voice overs. Perfect,

FishyFemale
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,174 Posts

[Post New]by FishyFemale on Mar 1, 13 9:19 AM
I'm so glad to see that so many people seem to love this game as much as I do. I wrote a review a couple months ago on the game site and hoped more people would find this game because it seemed to be "lost" in the myriad of everything else offered here. The game follows the book and movie exactly and, like others have already said, it woudn't be considered a well-made game had the devs deviated from the story in any way. There's so much variety in the minigames here and the word games reflect the literary theme as well. My only teeny gripe would be that I don't like hand drawn graphics but I guess it was easier than trying to find actual pictures of everything that was available in that time period. No big deal so my gripe is unfounded and I loved everything else about the game. I just wish more were made based on classic literature. Judging by the Classic Adventures title, I assumed this was the first of a series but it seems no more are forthcoming. Does anyone know if that's true? If the moderators are reading this, do you know if there are any more games available in this series? I hope I'm wrong in my assumption as there are SO many classic books that can be made into games. So what if you already know how it's going to turn out? Once you play any game you enjoy the first time through, do you never play it again just because you know the ending?

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Jun 2, 13 11:31 AM
I didn't want to look back through 8 pages of review, but I am pretty sure I've commented on this game before. However, having just seen the movie yesterday, I came right home and played this again (I think this was the third time, maybe the fourth). Anyway, I figure there may be a lot of new players, what with the movie, so I thought a new review couldn't hurt.

The game is very true to the story, as far as I can see, although you do not have to have read the book to follow what's going on. There was a very nice job done of streamlining the book to fit into a reasonable length game, while still presenting each of the characters clearly.

Visually, this game is simply beautiful, with great attention to detail. I love just looking at the scenes, particularly the party scenes, with the twinkling lights and the bubbles in the champagne glasses. I also just noticed that in the Library even the animals are animated! The eyes move on the both the dog and cat, and the hamster's ears twitch. Now that's attention to detail!

It's true that some items are small (and I play on a laptop, so they're even smaller), but I use a magnifying glass always when playing HOGs and found every item without a single hint; the great clarity of the artwork makes that possible.

The music is appropriate to the time, and varied enough to never be irritating. The voice acting is some of the best I've ever heard, across the board.

Two things I've seen nowhere else: the typing game, and the HOs while driving. If you don't touch type I guess the typing game could be a little stressful, but it is only for extra points; skipping it won't make you lose the game. And the HO while driving could also be stressful, except there is no timer anywhere in this game, so you can just relax, take your time, and enjoy the views.

I enjoyed finding the books in each scene, guessing the mystery word, and decorating the library. The only thing I wasn't totally enthused about was the "find 10 coins" or "14 days of the week" interludes. Those did go by fairly quickly, but you can choose to either replay until you get it, or skip. Again, just extra points, no penalties.

If you are looking for an intriguing "different" sort of HOG with no occult themes, no ghosts, no witches, just a great story and superior production values, give this a demo. It's a real pity that there was no follow-up to this game. There is so much great literature out there, I would have loved to have seen another game from this team.

Mickeycb
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by Mickeycb on Apr 27, 14 1:58 PM
I really liked this game because it stayed true to the actual book. The voice overs were not a problem because I didn't have to wait for them to finish in order to keep playing. I also like the different approach to finding objects, such as driving in the car and objects are on the sidewalk. That was pretty fun. I honestly have to laugh at people who took offense to the material. Some people need to unplug and read a book every once in a while and maybe then be able to critique the spot on recollection of the reading material. Being female, I took absolutely no offense to any of it because I was well informed about the book and hoped it would not deviate from the actual story line, like so many other games choose to do. In any case, if you have problems reading, then watch the movie. It's a really great piece of literature.

Go to: