Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Dark Tales: ™ Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat

[Post New]by wispy1 on Oct 8, 11 8:35 PM
Well now Im feeling a box of fluffies today having just finally got this one for 2.99. Cant believe my luck. I loved the Rue Morgue but being on a pension (73) I have to watch my pennies, but sure do love BF and all these wonderful games.

Just completed an hour or so and loving this one. Hope it lasts longer than the couple I bought last week which were very good but oh sooooooooooooooo short.

jrwoods
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by jrwoods on Oct 11, 11 7:37 PM
Just played this game about a week ago and just like everyone said it's wonderfully. Eventhough it is an older game I didn't have to many problems no more than I expected. Some freezes for a few seconds but what do you expect from tech.
But it really was a good game and I would advise those who have not played it to give it a try. I hope this helps someone when making their decsion.

Moto26261
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by Moto26261 on Oct 22, 11 3:24 AM
Just finished this and thought it was excellent.....took me hours. Only needed the walkthrough twice ,but it certainly made you think. A nice long game with a good story line recommend this to everyone!

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Nov 2, 11 12:36 PM
Bought CE

[Post New]by LuketheFluke on Nov 4, 11 7:48 AM
Awesome!! for the price you can't beat it.

Buy it, you won't regret it.

flags1
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by flags1 on Nov 4, 11 10:45 AM
This was a wonderful game! I enjoyed it more than 13 Skulls -- which I thought was my favorite. I hated to see it end. It had a lot of red herrings OR should I say Chickens??

skr041300
Guppy
Guppy
184 Posts

[Post New]by skr041300 on Nov 6, 11 12:45 PM
Probably my all time favorite game! Great length, great tasks, completely non linear and a lot of fun.

[Post New]by sammie58 on Nov 12, 11 3:55 AM
I don't think I would of been able to get thru this game without the help of the walkthrough. Good graphics and story line.A good buy 4 sure. Thanks, BF

Eponia
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by Eponia on Nov 25, 11 6:44 PM
Great game!

Beingknown
Salmon
Salmon
2,670 Posts

[Post New]by Beingknown on Nov 28, 11 12:31 PM
Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe's The Black Cat is a delightful game.

It has deeply saturated, bright graphics, entertaining puzzles, enjoyable mini-games, well drawn hidden objects scenes, which do Not have a junk-pile quality and a good story line. Game-play available with or without sparkles. Smooth cursor action, seamless transitions between screens. Lots of places to explore and objects to locate throughout the game to activate puzzles and min-games. You’ll need to use your memory skills, as sometimes you’ll happen upon a tool you need for a puzzle, but you can’t pick up the tool until you’ve found it’s various missing parts. (You do this instead of combining or assembling inventory objects within your inventory). I found this game to be lots of fun.

It’s one of Felix’s Favorites and you buy it before the end of today (Nov. 28) just remember to click “buy on website” and to enter "Felix" into the coupon field before clicking "purchase", and you’ll get it for $2.99.

But if you’ve missed the sale, this is a very entertaining game, and in my opinion is still worth buying.

[Post New]by pazifij on Dec 21, 11 11:59 PM
Loved this game - plenty of **** scenes, lots of objects to find a use for, it just kept going and going - I'd think I was nearly finished and another section would show up. I had to go to the forum 2 or 3 times for help, but I don't mind that.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Dec 22, 11 2:42 PM
Review after finishing the game:

The Good:

+ long game
+ adequate graphics
+ classic Edgar Allen Poe Story (which I did not know before)...
+ that for some reason sent some chills down my spine, even though there was nothing scary about it
+ good mixture of puzzles ranging from the brain dead easy to the impossible (slider puzzle)

The Neutral:

o Items are put back into a given hidden object scene
o would have liked a minimap for fast movement...
o ...and a little "Area clear" sign
o what was the deal with the chicken in the garden???

The Bad:

- Items not true to size
- Some riddles make no sense: Why not just move the rocking chair aside instead of building a contraption? Why do I have to light one candle on a chandelier (how do I reach it when one scene later I can't climb a fountain?) and the next in a chimney (chandelier doesn't work on the second candle)?
- lots of senseless running around to find something to do in a scene

Bottom Line: Despite some quirks that wouldn't have been necessary this one is a very good game.

Edited on 12/22/2011 at 2:42:55 PM PST

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jan 4, 12 2:31 PM
One of the best so far in BF, sadly I bough this game when first came out, but for some reason I had lots of problems with it so after complaining to BF and installing and un installing without having the problem result, I put it away for over a year, then a week ago and with a new computer I was able to finish playing the game.

Well I have to say that i was not disappointed, it is fantastic game.

auds7466
Clownfish
Clownfish
652 Posts

[Post New]by auds7466 on Mar 2, 12 10:58 AM
fab game well done big fish. graphics,music,mini games all spectacular. highly recommend this game

auds7466
Clownfish
Clownfish
652 Posts

fab game well done big fish. graphics,music,mini games all spectacular. highly recommend this game

auds7466
Clownfish
Clownfish
652 Posts

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 14, 12 6:40 AM
this game is a buy for us.----------doug & lisa

[Post New]by JustTheFacts on Apr 3, 13 11:51 AM
It’s A Big Step Up
GAME COMPLETED SEVERAL TIMES

Ah, the charming M. Dupin is back with a new investigation, and has asked his ‘talented assistant’ (that’s you – he’s so sweet!) to help find a missing woman. Mysteriously, a black cat is the one to greet us on our arrival, and throughout the game he points us in the right direction to new evidence and clues. That you are no longer an apprentice and must meet new, higher, standards of investigation soon becomes obvious.

This game is a big step up from the original Dark Tales: Murders In Rue Morgue. Besides a different and more complex story requiring much more independent thinking, we have dozens of interactive HOS to scour. They are still beautifully crafted, a step closer to the pastel colours ERS are known for, and the item list still doesn’t tell you which items are interactive. We now visit all those HOS twice.

We have a lot more puzzles – though still not many by today’s standards – and they are still easy. However, we now get instructions for some of them. And they combine with an increase in the adventure content to radically change the nature of the game play. We are at liberty to wander all the sites already opened at our leisure, and with no hint button and no map, you could be at it for quite a bit before you get back on course. The journal is a great way to keep the story in mind and describes events well, but is no real use as a guide.

This is where the Dark Tales series first dips its toe into the world of true HOPA games, and the experience is a nicely paced adventure perfect for the intermediate player and/or Edgar Allan Poe fans.

PS. Crazy cat ladies might enjoy chasing a black cat through the grounds of a dilapidated estate as well!

I recommend this game!

16paws
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by 16paws on Nov 4, 13 6:39 PM
I enjoyed this game more than I did "Murders in the Rue Morgue." Although there were still too many HOS, there was much more interaction, for example, having to assemble objects to use in solving the mystery.

In "Rue Morgue" I spotted a Gold Bug (a reference to Poe's story of the same name.) In this one I discovered...a Raven! I like these references to Poe's works.

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Jan 23, 14 11:22 AM
I am doing these Dark Tales games in order. I liked Rue Morgue okay, It was a very well done nice game. The Black Cat is a fantastic game. It is longer and has more to explore than the first one. The chicken caught me unawares and gave me a good laugh. Onward to the next Dark Tales.

Go to: