hookt
Starfish
Starfish
52 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Legends: The Phantom of the Opera Collector's Edition

[Post New]by hookt on Oct 23, 10 5:40 PM
Played the demo. Excellent game! Clear graphics. Good music. Great storyline. No technical problems. Looks to be lots of gameplay time on this one. Personally, I don't buy the CE since I wouldn't use a lot of the extra features. Will definitely buy the SE!

Just want to say thanks to all the fishies who post their reviews on the forums. Before I buy any game on this site I alway check the forums first. Keep them coming folks! It's always valuable information.

Totally hookt!

Cromaxgal
Clownfish
Clownfish
730 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Legends: The Phantom of the Opera Collector's Edition

[Post New]by Cromaxgal on Oct 23, 10 6:20 PM
TOTALLY AWESOME....Will buy after November 1st. Wish I could apply my free credit to this game.

SnodgrassP
Starfish
Starfish
44 Posts

[Post New]by SnodgrassP on Oct 23, 10 7:06 PM
I'm having problems with the pointer? It flashes in and out for me. I would really like to purchase this game. Anything I can do?

minxs
Clownfish
Clownfish
615 Posts

[Post New]by minxs on Oct 23, 10 7:16 PM
So naturally, of course I broke down and bought it, hoping that the credits issue will be resolved shortly after MCF 7 -- I sort of don't think with MCF because why tinker with the most-downloaded game of the year. (I'm sure they learned from the resentment due to the botched rollout last year.) But, soon.

Plus, I was softened up by buying "Robinson Crusoe and the Cursed Pirates", and laughing a lot, with a credit. Hopefully there will be more around the holidays, and "Twisted Lands" is also out before one of my deadlines.

I'm mostly loving "Phantom" so far (though... how did she get into the Opera House?), but am already so sick of the Phantom's continued random comments!

I play at night and my DH has started answering him -- "Why did you destroy our loooove?" booms out of the computer to be followed by "Because you're a rude SOB mutter mutter zzzzzzzz..."

I don't want to turn off the sound altogether, nor turn down the voices too much, and the Phatom's voice is louder than the rest. The "conversation" does distract from the spooky atmosphere though. Plus, Dh reported weird dreams this morning...

Oh well: I especially like the guide, with hints as opposed to a walkthrough, and the fact it's on the correct page when you open it. Much more convenient than paging back and through a WT.

Scottsteaux63
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by Scottsteaux63 on Oct 23, 10 8:28 PM
Super game! This is the best game I've purchased from Big Fish since "Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove CE." I still think Dire Grove has a slight edge, but this one comes amazingly close. The HOG scenes are really challenging; this is a game that needs to be played slowly, in stages, or you just might get eyestrain! But to me that is an advantage; I enjoy a challenge.

The eerie atmosphere is perfectly suited to the now-familiar storyline, and this game is also the best value since DIre Grove: it took me approximately six and a half hours to complete, and I have not yet played the Bonus level. Dire Grove took me eight hours the first time.

All in all, a superb achievement; I really would like to see more games with this level of quality.

jaybird3939
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by jaybird3939 on Oct 23, 10 8:40 PM
Really did enjoy this game. I tend to compare them all to my favorite: Ravenhearst. No complaints about difficult to find items, however, some of the stuff I wasn't sure exactly what it was (some of the fruits say, or a couple of the statues). There's no "clicky" penalty, so I was OK with that too. Really enjoyed how beautiful the scenes were, and the addition of the phantom ghost's voice & little things like in the prop room, the baby doll's eyes blinked & the caped figure bounced on its spring. Have to say, the only thing that really annoyed me was the footstep sound whenever you went from room to room/area to area. With as much moving around as this game had, that got a little irritating. That's a pretty minor "bother" so I have to say it was well worth putting out for the CE. I've played the 1st part, and am now getting ready to play the bonus scenes. Loved it!

brooklynblonde
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by brooklynblonde on Oct 23, 10 9:28 PM
It's been a while since I've been tempted to buy a CE, but this game might do it-beautiful, interesting, just wondering how much extra content there is in the CE.

d3isme
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

[Post New]by d3isme on Oct 24, 10 7:46 AM
Loved this game.
It hits all my sweet spots: great spooky atmosphere without being too frightening or gory; beautiful **** scenes (love this kind of 2 tiered hint system - I'll add that you mouse over the word list for silhouettes, since some people seem to have missed that). Interesting story with fun tasks that make sense in the context.

I did not mind having to go back and forth through the rooms (did appreciate having the map!) There are games where I would appreciate an " instant transporter", but for this one, I really felt it added to feeling the experience the girl would be having as she tried to do the tasks and find her way out.

The ending is just fine by me: it means there is a part 2 coming! I also think it does hint at the upcoming direction without giving too much away, having caught part of what Christine says to her daughter when she enters the shrine at the end. I think this was subtly done on purpose & I can appreciate that. I'm also looking forward to seeing if they do take that direction - I hope so!

I like the bonus section; adds a bit to the story - a kind of bridging section - which means people who wait and buy the regular version are not having the main story crippled or miss critical information.

The bonus took me about 45 minutes and the main game just over 5 hours. I didn't rush, but I wasn't dawdling either. And it definitely has replay value IMO.

My only criticism is that the timer doesn't pause when you bring up the 'leave screen' (I didn't really want to exit, just pause to make dinner!) but that wasn't a big deal as I don't care about ranking (though I did get a kick out of the top scores list).

If people are really watching their pennies, they might not find it worth the extra $7 for about an hour's extra game play, the novel & something else (I don't remember).
For me, it was; and considering it as a whole - $14 for such excellent game play (just over $2 an hour!) - absolutely more than fine.

Big kudos to the developers. This is a fantastic game and I'm looking forward to what is next!

[Post New]by 3Nanaones on Oct 24, 10 8:29 AM
Thank you BFG for a great game. I am new to forum and always enjoy reading
posts. I most enjoy the posts by Casualgran. I have come to value her opinions, they
are well written and precise.

sonofstar
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by sonofstar on Oct 24, 10 9:26 AM
This is a top notch game. It was a little frustrating until I read on the Forums that the word GUIDE beneath the hint mirror was actually the Strategy Guide. From then on out, things got better.

However, the graphics, atmospheric sounds, voices and music are absolutely perfect and matched. The hidden object scenes are so well done. Thank you developers for making ALL the objects fit the time period and location in which we're hunting. I usually get really annoyed and frustrated at finding idiot items in these scenes, some of which would/could never have been located there in the time period. All the objects were location/time appropriate and supported the overall game. My hat's off too you.

It took me two days of careful play, which to me means I got my money's worth. I played through the Bonus Round, which was every bit as good as the main game.

I will be waiting impatiently for the continuation of this story/game. Once I see it, I won't hesitate to purchase it to continue the story and enjoy another game of equal quality.

Thank you for your time and effort. It was well worth it.

Edited on 10/24/2010 at 9:29:04 AM PST

sonofstar
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by sonofstar on Oct 24, 10 9:27 AM
swtndsr2 wrote:All I can say is WOW !!! It is very close to being as good as MCF games!!! I bought the game after just 10 mins. of demo play....its worth the 13.99 fishes!!!

That's the game series I was trying to remember...Mystery Case Files. Yes, I agree. Very darn close in comparison for quality and enjoyability.

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Oct 24, 10 9:45 AM
Really great game, played with no technical issues whatsoever! There were no instructions on how to play the mini-games and I spent a lot of time figuring them out. I really HATED all that running to and fro!!! It would have been nice to have the option of either running or transporting to where I needed to be.

I actually liked that the bonus game took place in a different venue than the main game. It changed things up a bit.

This is definitely an IHOG, and the **** areas are just chalk full of items to find, you'll spend some time searching. Nicely challenging!

Great job, BF!! I'll be playing this again down the road!!

[Post New]by ginviking on Oct 24, 10 10:33 AM
Great game! Collector's Editions are really worth the money. I especially like the Guide.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Oct 24, 10 11:29 AM
CasualGran wrote:
Poutoule wrote:Already expressed myself in another thread, still, Casualgran, I do see a big flaw in this game : CE. When you have 5 punch card credits BFG should allow you to use at least 3 of them to buy a CE, that would be more than the price of the CE, considering you bought your games and it's a well earned reward. I'm quite disgusted about that, no good games to spend credits on. Otherwise the game is great but I still hesitate, as I already bought my lot of CE this month and last one.

Bonjour Poutoule!

Don't know if it's much of a comfort, but I'm right there with you in your idea of spending 3 gamecoupons or 3 gamecredits to buy 1 CE! It would be fair indeed. But what can I do? I'm not a BF manager.
Maybe, just maybe, if enough BF customers express this same wish on the forums, that one fine day this will be granted. Oh joy!

Untill then we'll have to live with this. It's sad....

But, don't let it spoil your gamefun, here or elsewhere!

Great idea you two, but I think you are over generous, what about 2 game coupons

sea_maid
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by sea_maid on Oct 24, 10 12:04 PM
pungstress wrote:
carolinacat wrote:I'm still playing the game because I"m taking my time with it. I absolutely love it!

One note to developers - when you design a game based on a long-standing production such as The Phantom of the Opera, please include music that's from the production.

I can tell you why, carolinacat; it would cost an arm and a leg for the developers to get the rights to use the music from Webber's POTO. It's the same reason that the Penny Dreadful's Sweeney Todd tried to ape the musical score by Sondheim and imho, failed miserably.

I don't think that was the reason at all. The story is not based on the Broadway musical, but rather the original novel by Gaston Leroux. More specifically, the story of what happens to the main characters after the events of the novel.Thus, it wouldn't make much sense to put the score of the musical, since the latter is an adaptation of the novel (i.e. the events prior to the story in the game).

As far as the game is concerned, yes, it's a really good one,but given what is offered as extras for the CE, I'd rather wait for the SE.I played the demo, and the graphics and music are very good.One thing that I didn't like that much was the actor who did the voice of the Phantom.He was way over-the-top with it, and it showed. Plus, a few anachronisms. First, the Phantom wouldn't refer to himself as "the Phantom of the Opera", but rather "Opera Ghost", per the novel. Second, he never wanted Don Juan to be peformed, so maybe they would have made up a different one. Third, in the novel it's very clear that Raoul and Christine go "up north", so they wouldn't be in France at all.

That said, the Hidden Object scenes weren't that difficult, unlike other games. The puzzles were all right, but the only thing I didn't like at all was that you couldn't go back and forth in the Guide, as you would other games, but rather it would only show up a page at a time, and if you missed it, you couldn't go back. Don't know if they will change this by the time the SE comes out, but it would be helpful to players, since we are in the inside of a huge opera house, with various rooms and areas where it's very easy to get lost.

So, a really good game? Yes, for regular games. The fact that all the CE offered was a copy of the novel ( which you can find online for free just about anywhere, its copyright expired awhile ago), and a short game which didn't solve anything, at least by what other players have said, doesn't really make this CE one where you would love to spent the extra money.

P.S. Is it just me, or have a lot of the HOG CE been cutting back on the extra material lately? When they first released the CE's, I remember the games having dozens of extras.

[Post New]by Menacer267 on Oct 24, 10 12:29 PM
I'm a huge fan of "Phantom of the Opera" in its many forms and variations, and the Mystery Legends game did NOT disappoint!

Beautiful, haunting music, lush graphics and design, interesting story...loved it. Some parts literally gave me chills.

Good to see a "Phantom" game again.

Ceece
Seahorse
Seahorse
38 Posts

[Post New]by Ceece on Oct 24, 10 12:57 PM
I just finished the game and the bonus game! What a great game. I especially liked the idea of the strategy guide being so accessible. It's better than having to exit the game to find help whenever one gets stuck.

I agree wholeheartedly with all the kudos above! What a GREAT Game. I liked the story, the graphics, the music, the difficulty level. I can't think of one single negative about this game. The variety in the audio was so great too. It's like having your own personal movie that you get to play a part in. I'm so very glad I bought it. I've enjoyed a few of the collector's editions for sure, but THIS ONE takes the prize. I too want to laud the developers.

I just recommend this game to everyone toying with the idea of paying the extra for a CE game. This one is truly worth the price. I also agree with a previous player suggesting a way to use some kind of purchase points for buying these expensive CE editions. While I appreciate the new discount idea, for those of us on a fixed income, they can be a little steep (especially toward the end of the month).

Mostly though, I just want to encourage everyone to get this game. It's truly a jewel.

calamari7
Guppy
Guppy
181 Posts

[Post New]by calamari7 on Oct 24, 10 1:34 PM
Am thinking Gaston Leroux would be so very happy about this stunning game adaptation of his novel "Le Fantome de l"Opera". It took me 7 hours and forty-five minutes [I added an hour by skipping 2 of the puzzles] to meander all through the [literally] layers of beauty and mystery ..........loved having the strategy guide [to save me] and the map reference....not that I minded, because I wanted to linger in the adorned rooms, halls of the opera house and soak up the ambiance! Be forewarned, you'll need an excellent memory [or a paper and pencil since you can't put bread crumbs down, ha!]. With extraordinary artwork, sound effects/music, and detail to story line, this is the best game in its genre that I've played in a long time. Even the puzzles were story-appropriate and doable [with ever a slight hint from the guide from time to time ] Also, this is the first CE that I've bought in forever [complete with a bonus], and it is worth every cent. Absolutely LOVED this high quality game, and would recommend it to all ..... .......mega smooches *smack , and thanks for such a good time!!

winterlyn
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by winterlyn on Oct 24, 10 2:09 PM
Best game I've played! Fingers crossed for a sequel.

chipper23
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

[Post New]by chipper23 on Oct 24, 10 2:31 PM
Beautiful game. I loved it.....After a 3 week drought,I was pleasantly surprised with 2 excellent CE. First The Void and now The Phantom. Looking forward to more games like these two...Great job!

Go to: