medview2
Guppy
Guppy
159 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by medview2 on Nov 24, 10 12:12 PM
THERE IS A SKIP BUTTON! I found out by accident! I was doing a puzzle and I accidentally hit the "hint" button. A box came up - "hint" or "skip". I just clicked cancel.

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Mystery Case Files ®: 13th Skull ™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by mhatfie on Nov 24, 10 12:13 PM
Ok I have played more of the game now and am loving it. Did not give it a fair chance earlier. (guess I wasn't awake yet from getting up at 4:00 am)
This is a long game and since I take my time and try not to use hints, I'll probably be playing until Christmas. Definitely worth every penny of the price. Casual gran got it right again (How does she do that?)

[Post New]by drumrgirl on Nov 24, 10 12:34 PM
I've played more of these types of games than I can count and I have to say this one is a real disappointment. The live action sequences / conversations slow down game play and don't add anything for me (and they probably add a lot to the overall footprint of the file itself). I agree with other posts that the hidden object scenes are suprisingly repetitive and not all that challenging while I've found some of the mini-games to be anoyingly frustrating - requiring "hints" simply to understand the objective of the game. They just aren't all that intuitive. Finally - now that I've hit the same major bug that many others have which prevents me from going any further in the game (releasing the trap door by finding the missing goblets) - my tolerance has found its limit. This game can no longer hold my interest -- even when / if the bug is fixed. I wasted my money and my time on this today. That said - my overall experience with BFG has been tremendous - so I'll consider this an anomaly for the moment. Here's hoping this rare exception doesn't become the rule...

[Post New]by brightlyiburn on Nov 24, 10 12:38 PM
Oh yikes. Sorry, Big Fish, but this is a miss. We won't be buying the Collector's Edition.

Those graphics -- ugh. Look, I'm sorry, but that kind of FMV is more than a little outdated. For a reason. It's uncomfortable having real people against obviously computer generated or drawn backgrounds like that. The techniques used in RTR and DG made the live actors stand out less, but here they stick out like a sore thumb. The end result looks cheap and lazy. As someone who has several consoles and is more than casual in her gaming habits, I was disappointed. Surely BFG can afford graphics that aren't 10+ years out of date.

The dialog was also often awkward, and it didn't help that so much hand holding was inserted into it. When the maid handed over the key and told me to go clean some windows, it sounded fake and contrived. Dialog needs to flow smoothly and sound realistic (and what was with that horror of a wig!?). The southern accents didn't come across as genuine, either.

The plot doesn't really get going enough during the demo. The HOG scenes were so cluttered; they just don't make any sort of sense in context. Who leaves their fridge like that!? (And don't give me the "this is just a game" line. If BFG wants to use real actors, the fridge shouldn't look like something out of a cartoon!) And the music grated. Too much twang and harmonica for my ears. It, too, came across a bit stereotyped. If you could typecast music, then BFG pulled it off here.

Sorry if that sounds harsh, but after weeks of hints and hype, this game doesn't live up. And even without the hype, it's not worth $14.

[Post New]by calicotuxedocat on Nov 24, 10 12:41 PM
I have only played a little of the game, but my comments so far are:

- I prefer to be able to wander freely about, instead of being "told" I have to go to a particular place and talk to someone.
- I am a bit puzzled by being shown that something has to be examined, but when I click on it, nothing happens because it needs to be done later. I much prefer areas of interest having the little glint/twinkle when they are ready to be explored, as in previous games.
- I don't really mind the live characters, but I think (hope!) that in future when I replay the game, I can ignore/skip them.
- I'm disappointed there are no morphing objects. Many people commented in Dire Grove that they were happy to have them back after missing them in RTR.
- The only puzzles I have done so far are the picture puzzles and they seem boring. I hope things improve in this department!

I'm still optimistic, because this is MCF, that I'll end up liking the game.

mainegamer
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by mainegamer on Nov 24, 10 12:41 PM
I'm not the old pro that so many of you on here are, but I have all the Mystery Case Files and love them. Like everyone else, I anxiously awaited the arrival of 13th Skull. I just played the demo and must say that I'm a little disappointed. I don't really like the interactive graphic (or at least not so far). Also, I had so hoped that this latest offering would be another Ravenhurst sequel. I haven't decided whether it's a buy. Guess I'll think on it some more!

GloomySunday
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by GloomySunday on Nov 24, 10 12:47 PM
I almost felt guilty for not liking this game so much, as the MCFs are always so highly praised, but now after reading the posts here, I see that I'm not alone. I usually like the MCFs a lot, those are the games where I'm completely surprised how quickly the demo is done and where I can't wait to continue playing.

13th skull certainly is nicely done. I don't mind the real people, I don't care much either way and already know this principle from the second Gabriel Knight game (15 years ago!!). Still, I didn't think the acting was so good. I could hardly bear to watch the maid as she acted so unrealistic and exaggerated.

Graphics are lovely, sound effects are great as well and one certainly gets the feeling that a lot of thought and love of detail have gone into the game. I wasn't too crazy about the story, but it isn't a bad story.

I like that the hint button recharges quickly. One doesn't have to use it if it isn't needed, but it's nice that I didn't have to wait and wait and wait for hints to recharge if I was completely lost in a hidden object scene. I had that a lot with Ravenhearst.

The objectives were too detailed for my taste, but that would have been okay if there had been several objectives at once or if one could pick up items for later use. For example, there are crayons in several rooms and it's obvious they will be needed later on, but I can't pick them up yet. There is too little freedom in gameplay with the strict linear outline. I think that was one reason the game didn't fascinate me. It was just going from one small task to the next.

Also, it would be nice if the tasks made sense. Most of them did, granted. But I come as an investigator to find a missing person and the maid refuses to talk to me unless I gather her cleaning supplies?

In my personal opinion, the graphics, the sound effects and the story in combination with "free" gameplay like in the previous MCF games would have made a lovely game - real persons or not. But the strict objectives and linear gameplay mode took too much fun away for me. I won't be buying this one.

waterfire11
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by waterfire11 on Nov 24, 10 12:49 PM
Rainbow722 wrote:

I would urge everyone to play the game without prior expectations of what it SHOULD be and find out what it IS.

Perfectly said and I totally agree with you.

I was one of those who felt very dissapointed in this game at first, but then I decided to give it a chance and now I`m loving it!!! Even the live actors I strongly disliked in the beginning.
It`s a stunningly beautiful game and I am looking forward to many hours and days of great adventure

bball111
Guppy
Guppy
194 Posts

[Post New]by bball111 on Nov 24, 10 1:09 PM
Wow, this is a tough house.

JadedBlonde
Lobster
Lobster
82 Posts

[Post New]by JadedBlonde on Nov 24, 10 1:20 PM
Man, am I disappointed

Way, way too much clicking for my taste; I quickly got tired of having to click off to the side to close every screen that popped up.

I really hated those actors. It just seemed like story has been done already, and the fact that there were "live" actors as opposed to drawn ones didn't make it fascinating for me. I don't much care for the "story" in games, though the exceptional atmospheric ones pull me in. That is escape. This was just irritating. There was no way to turn it off and get rid of all this dialogue and you had to let them finish! Gah! You HAD to let them babble and yap! It was like visiting my relative's house! Someone in every room with some boring story to inflict on me! It was like being stuck at dinner with some manic relative who can't answer a simple "yes' or "no" question (not that that ever happens to me...) It would have been nice to be able to skip it if you wanted to. It was a break in the flow of things to have to go listen to speeches when I was on a quest to do what I discovering in the game. I found it incredibly annoying to have to stop all the time. And the actress that plays the chambermaid really needs to lay off the salt.

I played the demo of this game and spent most of it running all over the place for no rhyme or reason, closing those screens that'd pop up to tell me that eventually I can interact with what I was seeing. Half the fun, to me, of these types of games is amassing a lot of stuff and you don't know what you need it for, this was just so strict and structured.

The HOGs were simplistic, one in the medicine cabinet took me about 20 seconds because everything was right there, front and center or all lined up.

Happy Thanksgiving!

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Nov 24, 10 1:25 PM
Jadedblonde...you can skip the dialogue. Just click anywhere on the screen once the character starts talking. However, you will miss an achievement that is tied to the character's dialogue.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 24, 10 1:33 PM
vingilot wrote:Still playing and so far am loving it!!! Fabulous job, !

.........Off to play some more...

Um, except I should probably get something to eat first.

Thank you so much for this game, ! Argghh!

Eat? It's 4:30 in the afternoon here, and I haven't had breakfast yet! Then again, I haven't had as much time to enjoy the game yet, but I hope to get back into it soon. As far as I've gotten in the game, though, I have enjoyed it. Only a few small things I would change, and the most important (to me) is that I really, truly miss the morphing objects. Since they were in the last two games, and I enjoyed looking for them so much, I wish they had them here, too.

Off to look for Posey!

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Nov 24, 10 1:38 PM
its ok to waste some time on but i feel like a maid more then a detective...and the whole fiasco from this morning to the game ending glitch is just to annoying for me...i am just not interested in if they fix the glitch or not anymore, salem mysterious, phantom, much better games,

jmwillo
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by jmwillo on Nov 24, 10 1:40 PM
Well I just carn't help it, I have to say I'm not so sure on this one. Loved the other MCFs but there is something about this that I didn't enjoy as much and I really couldn't tell you why but for me its a no buy will wait till the SE comes out and try again.

Skipperbp32
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Skipperbp32 on Nov 24, 10 1:41 PM
bball111 wrote:Wow, this is a tough house.

Not really - Big Fish set the bar high with RTR. They hit 20 on a 10 point scale. So a 9 or 10 actually seems disappointing but it really isn't.

[Post New]by DariusThe3rd on Nov 24, 10 1:42 PM
Hmmz... we seem to have mixed opinions here...

Technically I think this is a great game, especially for the newcomers to this genre. There is a lot of help, the artwork is beautiful and it is HUGE.

But... It is not Dire Grove 2 or RTR 2 for that matter. Expierenced players do not want to get pushed along a certain storyline: They want to investigate things, pick up items that might seem useless at the time and bump their nose every now and then. There is no exploring here as the storyline doesn't call for it.

Secondly (and that is my major problem) we are not alone as we were in DG or RTR: Whilst playing I was continuously aware that I would meet and talk to the characters in the game. In DG, there was a lot of video but they were tapes that you happened to come across. Now there are real people you have to interact with - AND according to that same storyline too.

Don't misunderstand me, I DO like the game. It is good, it is big and the atmosphere is pretty creepy. But if I do pick up the courage to wander around strange houses and graveyards it would be a lot more spooky if I knew no one else was around.

And that, I think, is the main difference between MCF7 and its predecessors.

D3

gypsybaby1
Starfish
Starfish
54 Posts

[Post New]by gypsybaby1 on Nov 24, 10 2:00 PM
jmwillo wrote:Well I just carn't help it, I have to say I'm not so sure on this one. Loved the other MCFs but there is something about this that I didn't enjoy as much and I really couldn't tell you why but for me its a no buy will wait till the SE comes out and try again.

I went ahead and bought this, but I'm with you... I can't explain it, but it just seems too easy for MCF. I'm glad to be away from the doom and gloom of Dire Grove and RHR. One can only handle so much doom and gloom, right?

I'm in the attic at this point and taking small breaks between objectives. The Crown Cards aren't easy to find, but the good news is you can go back and forth and collect them if you've missed them the first time around.

The music is annoying. But, I've yet to find a game where I enjoyed the music. I always turn the music down to barely audible, or even off completely. I set the voices to snarky, but the maid comes off as downright pissy. Maybe on the second go'round I'll set it to Southern instead. The wife is annoying. All she's doing is standing there, wringing her hands like a weakling. I have a personal pet peeve with weak women. LOL Seen too many of them, I suppose.

All in all, yeah, this one seems to be easier. So far I think I've had to use the guide twice and had to use maybe five hints. In Dire Grove, I swear I think I broke my hint button twenty minutes into the game!

I like the atmosphere, I will give it that. The neighbor shooting at me was a surprise!

sparkers2005
Guppy
Guppy
121 Posts

[Post New]by sparkers2005 on Nov 24, 10 2:00 PM
while i was playing the demo, i really thought i didn't care for the game. the live people and all. but i bought the game anyway just because i have all of the rest of MCF games. i'm so glad i bought it because the further you get into the game the better it gets. so fishies those who didn't like it give it a chance like i did. i think you will be surprised. i have a feeling this is gonna be a long game. the longer the better. RTR is still my favorite though. i still play RTR over and over just to beat my previous times. well thats my 2 cents. enjoy 13th SKULL

murphy1018
Lobster
Lobster
85 Posts

[Post New]by murphy1018 on Nov 24, 10 2:24 PM
Very disappointing. Introducing live action characters slows the game. Never been a fan of this. Old MCF games are much better. Too bad because the graphics are great, storyline is very good but for me the characters and dialogue are annoying.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Nov 24, 10 2:24 PM
sparkers2005 wrote:while i was playing the demo, i really thought i didn't care for the game. the live people and all. but i bought the game anyway just because i have all of the rest of MCF games. i'm so glad i bought it because the further you get into the game the better it gets. so fishies those who didn't like it give it a chance like i did. i think you will be surprised. i have a feeling this is gonna be a long game. the longer the better. RTR is still my favorite though. i still play RTR over and over just to beat my previous times. well thats my 2 cents. enjoy 13th SKULL

I've noticed that, too. It gets more challenging the further you get into the game, and you have more choices of what to do, less of the hand-holding that a lot of users complained about that was a big part of the demo, but gets less and less as you play.

I'm glad you're enjoying it as much as I am.

I just wish I could find a newspaper to smack that nasty little dog.....or maybe throw him out in the rain.

Go to: