Mistickel
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

Re:Your Comments And Reviews For Hidden Mysteries: Salem Secrets

[Post New]by Mistickel on Jan 28, 11 10:55 PM
It has good game play but Im passing on this one because Im burned out on games that rely on darkness to hide objects and many objects that are tiny. After I finished the first H0 scene, I wandered around to check out others. Even an outdoor garden scene was dark. I also have a peeve with out of porportion items (a match stick as big as a carriage window?).

I love dark story themes, but all dark scenes arent necessary, ie. Deadtime Stories, loved it.

[Post New]by pattyplays on Jan 31, 11 12:35 PM
This is my trip here, but will be brief........Bought and loved game,THO it was not easy for me. Bet I walked 100's miles trying to find where I needed to go. LOL Didnt start using MAP until half way thru and still got lost. Going to blame it on OLD age. LOL I play these to work my brain and it got a work out for sure.

I use to buy all HOGs as they came out..Now I read reviews. Thanks all of you that post. You have saved me much dollars.

Your Comments And Reviews For Hidden Mysteries: Salem Secrets

[Post New]by nitesapot2 on Feb 6, 11 9:16 PM
Is there some way to reset the game to start again, or is it over after going through it once?

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Feb 19, 11 12:47 PM
My husband and I enjoy playing these types of games together. We help each other and get a real satisfaction from finishing a game like this one! The beautiful graphics; intriguing story line; no timer; custom cursor;and minigames all made this game a very enjoyable experience. We liked the journal, the map, and the task list. These features helped us manuever/wander through the many scenes. Even with these aids, the game was still challenging and we found ourselves saying, "What do we do next?" Highly recommend it!!

oct2447
Stingray
Stingray
5,937 Posts

[Post New]by oct2447 on Feb 28, 11 5:27 PM
I like dark, spooky HOGs, but this is just so-so for me......I am getting tired of tramping around and around and around with nothing going on my hearing my scrunchy footsteps. Nothing spooky but the music, which borders on annoying at times. I find the graphics flat, without depth and very computerish. Got this during the recent sale based on reviews, and while I don't regret it so much, wish I had made another choice. I know I should have demo'd.........lesson learned.

oct2447
Stingray
Stingray
5,937 Posts

[Post New]by oct2447 on Feb 28, 11 5:29 PM
Continued.......
Forgot to add that I was very disappointed in the map.......it would have been helpful to label the buildings...........

Johny_d
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Johny_d on Mar 4, 11 12:45 AM
Good atmosphere. Not everything is clear. But it's buy for me.

[Post New]by 817rice on Mar 10, 11 4:56 PM
I an not find the axe in the grave yard scene. Have played 2x @ can not finsh without the axe.

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Mar 17, 11 12:15 PM
I was mixed about this one. I loved the graphics and the story line. I love it when you have to find items to put into an inventory and figure out where to use them later. What I found tedious was going back and forth to the exact same hidden object locations over and over again. Also, I don't like it when the map areas are so spread out and you have to keep walking back and forth from one side to another. On these, the map should be set up so that you can click on the location you want to go to and it will take you there.

Other than that, I really liked the game and would highly recommend it to everyone!

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Mar 17, 11 12:19 PM
EnvirEng wrote:There are no people in the city, although you will located the missing girls, and there are horses. There are warning signs on most of the houses saying 'Keep out.' Overall a creepy atmosphere without going to far.

Besides the map, there is a list of tasks. To the left of each is a box with the '?' in it. If you need a hint, click on the '?.' Thanks to those hints (I needed one) I didn't need to use the walkthrough at all. A big plus in my book!

The H0G scenes were clear enough. Some small items, but findable. I did use the Help a few times because I was frustrated and, in a few cases, because I just couldn't find some d*** thing. Hints seem to recharge quickly.

There is a lot to do, so keep an eye on your inventory. Some unique actions are required. Not may mini games, but most are do-able and SKIPPABLE. A few are really hard. I skipped two. One was too hard and the other was the kind of slider that I hate.

There is a good bit of walking around and some back tracking. You can't get from Mill to below the waterfall directly--have to go through town.

The only thing I started to find frustrating was I had to remember in what buildings a few things were, like chained up girls, unopened cabinets, etc.

An excellent game with hours of game play. A little too heavy on the H0G scenes for me and bit drab, but a great game.

4.5 out of 5 stars.

I thought it was funny you mentioned not being able to get from the mill to below the waterfall. I found myself wishing I could jump! LOL!! It was a LONG walk around!

katbeth01
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by katbeth01 on Mar 25, 11 7:34 PM
I really enjoyed this game.

ject58
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by ject58 on Apr 4, 11 6:50 AM
I really loved this game. It was challenging and had alot of scenes to walk around in. There was such a vast area of play, that you really had to think as far as where to use certain objects, but at the same time, there was a hint system to help you if you were really stuck. I enjoyed most of the puzzles, although I have to admit, there were some that I skipped because they were more frustrating than fun. The hidden object scenes were also challenging and the graphics were good. Definitely worth the money and I would recommend it to all.

[Post New]by copperpickle on Apr 5, 11 9:10 PM
I've bought alot of fishy's games and this one is one of my favorites. It's different than all the rest. It's color sets the scene for the story. Beautiful pictures. Could almost feel myself walking up and down those roads. A couple more mini games would have been nice. My opinion only. Thanks fish for the game. More like this.

[Post New]by Athena6142 on Apr 9, 11 12:22 PM
I love the subject matter this game is based on..so I loved the atmosphere..spooky, mysterious, etc..Loved the hidden object games if I couldn't find a item just used a hintno biggie..The things I disliked: the puzzles to me made no sense, without a walkthrough (which I know U have) it would be rather difficult, there is a bit of remembering where certain things are(I've played resident evil so this is nothing compared to that LOL)...myself I hate the cursor it goes too far sometimes..Just a personal preferance.. all in all maybe a 4...

grover3e
Lobster
Lobster
94 Posts

[Post New]by grover3e on Apr 13, 11 10:40 AM
I actually enjoyed this game, which is a bit surprising, because there were several flaws, IMHO -

First, if you hate HOG scenes where the objects are tiny, you're going to hate this game. However, although the items were small, they were all very clear, and there was none of the usual "well I guess that COULD be a rag, I don't know".

Second, game froze a number of times, and I have a brand new computer, so I'm guessing it was a game issue vs. a computer issue.

Third, some of the things you have to do aren't very intuitive, but you can get hints on the task list, which definitely helps (I would have NEVER thought to have solved one of the problems a certain way without the hint).

Fourth, some of the puzzles were too difficult/boring not to skip, so I skipped several, which I usually don't do.

Finally, very abrupt and unsatisfying ending.

So, why did I enjoy? I'm not sure. It wasn't super easy, and I enjoy that...there was a lot of aimless wandering, but I rather like it when you aren't spoon-fed all the answers. So, an OK, but not great game.

Two and a half of five stars.

enigma5619
Minnow
Minnow
244 Posts

[Post New]by enigma5619 on May 14, 11 12:26 PM
[b] Long game...not easy....somewhat interesting...doable puzzles...not my fav graphics....the game was a liitle too boring in that it didnot spark constant interest in what would come next....i.e., just not that interesting

preserved
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by preserved on May 30, 11 5:06 PM
I can't say anything but great praise for this game..I loved it...

Tikatoy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by Tikatoy on Jun 27, 11 10:47 PM
This game was interesting enough for me to finish it in one night. I liked that there was a large map with lots of locations to explore. When you look at the map, locations with hidden object scenes sparkle, although there is no indication for locations with inventory items to pick up, puzzles, or where you can use items. Because the map is so big, there's quite a bit of backtracking. Loading time between locations is very short though, so I didn't mind this. The hidden object scenes were fairly fun, but the puzzles were of above average difficulty, which I really liked.

On the downside, I was unimpressed by the graphics (both the locations and the hidden object scenes). Everything just looked sort of washed out. The house/building interiors felt noticeably empty.

Decent game, overall.

NANONAN
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by NANONAN on Jul 7, 11 11:58 AM
Help me out here fishies! Should I like this game or not? Darned if I can decide. Most of the time haven't got a clue what I'm doing or why, where I need to go, where something that needed to be done was located (such a massive area to cover) and the Task list just scares me at the moment. But I do like a challenge and will persist as I did the demo ages ago and put it on my to get list, which I just did. So granny will plod on and defeat this little sucker!!!!!

[Post New]by StepFreakess on Sep 6, 11 11:12 AM
I really enjoyed this game. It was thrilling, and frustrating all at the same time. It's one of those games that really makes you work hard to keep up with it, and that's a big deal for a search-and-find game.

(Don't keep reading if you don't want a spoiler)

My personal favourite point of the game was when I managed to decipher which symbols stood for which letters. When I went back to decipher the board, rather than clicking on it, at first I deciphered what was on the board.. "All your base are belong to us." is what it came out to be. For anyone into classic Japan-made games, it's ironic and very funny. For those that don't know, the game in particular had been translated into English. And it was by far not the best translating job ever. But in this case, one man's mistake is an entire gaming community's inside joke.

All-in-all, very enjoyable. And the music definitely brought up the ante.

Go to: