LPeek
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
4 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Margrave: The Curse of the Severed Heart Collector's Edition

[Post New]by LPeek on Mar 6, 11 2:49 PM
I bought the original Margrave Manor, and I enjoyed it, But tried to get through the sequel 2 different times and found it to be tedious at best. I left this one after about 15 minutes. It just seemed like the graphics got better and the story went to hell. (And it's been a couple years since I played the first, but I don't remember Edwina having a British accent in the first game. Maybe I just never turned the sound up loud enough to hear it.) Anyway, I just couldn't get past those stupid cat spirits. When I got past those, the game was treading on very thin ice, and it went downhill after that. I'm done with this franchise. I probably won't be giving any games with 'Margrave' in the title a second thought from here on out.

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Margrave: The Curse of the Severed Heart Collector's Edition

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Mar 6, 11 8:28 PM
I just got done doing a Monster Margrave Manor Marathon LOL! Yup! I played all 3 of the Margrave games just so I could follow the storyline and I'm glad I did so I could understand what was going on with the characters and compare graphics.

I did enjoy the lovely graphics and story in the Margrave: The Curse of the Severed Heart CE. I was just a disappointed in how short the game was. I am not a fast player and the game (regular gameplay in casual mode) took me only 3 hours to play and the bonus gameplay took me an hour to play making a total gameplay of 4 hours for the CE.

I am rather disappointed that the CE does not include any of the regular screensavers or wallpaper or music references that the usual CE comes with that you come to expect with a CE! What a disappointment! I am glad that it came with a strategy guide at least and the extra gameplay. While i don't use the Screensaver/wallpaper/music/concept art I do enjoy looking at it and come to expect it as part of the price. I was disappointed that this wasn't part of the CE price and am going to be more hesitant about purchasing CE's in the future if this is going to become a trend from now on.

[Post New]by mostly_nameless on Mar 6, 11 8:51 PM
I thought the game was sort of charming. I liked the goofy ghost animal voices. I kind of liked Edwina's "this is as exciting as brushing my teeth" voice over.

I thought INVENT-or-ee was a pretty strange word. PORT-cue-lus too. But, what the heck.

Story wise, it held together pretty well. Except I'm not sure why - spoiler -

Mom's ghost wanted her to disable the shadow locks

I think the bonus story had some holes in it and was a bit short.

I didn't realize until I looked at the reviews that the other usual bonus content is missing. And, there really was a scene in the bonus game I would've saved as a potential wallpaper. Oh well.

Not great, but an okay game, so long as the occult references don't bother you. But, I doubt I'll replay it more than maybe once.

Carolest
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by Carolest on Mar 7, 11 4:27 AM
I'm not sure if I'll buy this CE or wait for SE to buy. One gripe, inVENTory? Yikes! That was the only gripe btw, and not that important, just a little grating when she says it.

Ok, I really liked the game. The HOG scenes were like the early MCF where things were cleverly hidden, and not just thrown in all over. There was definitely some thought and creativity used here!

I liked the story, it was cute. I think it will give me a few hours of enjoyment.
One interesting thing though, I noticed that the strategy guide actually opened. I don't use them much but opened it in error when I was trying to look for a recipe/spell. You don't see that in any trial version! Was stunned!

johnandi5
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by johnandi5 on Mar 7, 11 8:52 AM
I really liked this game. Lots of things to do and places to visit. Good story line and I had to use my brain instead of just clicking on things. Nice ending. All in all and

Gala_Day
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by Gala_Day on Mar 7, 11 9:45 AM
Great game, lots of fun and places to explore. First CE i've ever bought!

[Post New]by coyoteldy on Mar 7, 11 11:28 AM
This was creepy, fun, and entertaining. Some of the items are blended a bit too well I agree, but over all the storyline and the hunt was fascinating. This was worth the buy I think. I have played all of the Margrave series, this was the best drawn I think and enough on the creepy scale to keep me interested.. over all a good game!

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Mar 7, 11 12:00 PM
After reading a couple of suggestions to turn off the game cursor, I decided to try again because I was disppointed not being able to really see what the game was about. It worked! No more wonky, poky, hard to control cursor! Hoorah! I continued playing the game, I'm enjoying it (as long as I have the voice over turned off) and it's my CE purchase for the month.

tomb57
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

[Post New]by tomb57 on Mar 8, 11 5:26 PM
Nice game with decent graphics and story line, but would have been tedious and difficult without the Strategy guide and puzzle skips.
Hints recharged quickly when needed.
Really liked the Bonus game.
Was a good buy for me.

cjpandie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by cjpandie on Mar 8, 11 7:14 PM
[b]How could anyone not like this game? It was fascinating! I loved it. Loved the story line, loved the graphics. Had a little spookiness to it and that was neat!! I did have to use the hints and strategy guide but that didn't make it any less fascinating. Loved it!!

[Post New]by grandpa09 on Mar 8, 11 7:56 PM
i am having trouble finding the fish tail it is not were it is sopose to be help i like it so far
i have the fish head

Hortense
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by Hortense on Mar 10, 11 8:35 AM
edmee 1947- I have been to the point of the water control panel doors 5 times, and still can't get the fish halves to fit in the door. Have you had any luck in getting help?

joan6149
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by joan6149 on Mar 10, 11 10:37 AM
Considering it was a collectors edition and the money it cost it was not worth it. Expect a collectors eddition to laswt more than three days. The collectors edition games are becoming too expensive for only a few days game.

dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by dlb628 on Mar 14, 11 9:16 PM
I liked it. I didn't love it. Great graphics, and the game play was mostly good. The talking/singing animals were just weird. I didn't get that. Why include that? I know they really wanted people to play that tedious card game over and over, but why the chorus in the middle? Weird. However, I liked the way this ended, and without pulling any of that ridiculous "to be continued" stuff that makes you feel like you wasted your time. I didn't think the game was too short. Any longer, and I would have been sick of it. Better to leave people wanting more than bored to death.

The bonus area was bizarre. You don't need it for a complete storyline. It took me about 45 minutes, but I skipped some of the more boring puzzles (hate those card games!). The whole story of the bonus area was lost on me. Stop reading now if you want to avoid minor spoilers. Oban? Afi? Who? What? Where did this one-eyed guy and mechanical bird come from? That was just weird. For me, the bonus area was kind of pointless, because I just didn't get it. I understand that Oban forged the severed heart, but the whole thing felt really random. I won't even ask why he had just one eye or who he was supposed to be.

Edited on 03/14/2011 at 9:19:07 PM PST

[Post New]by gdenness on Mar 15, 11 7:25 AM
Hi,

The bonus content in Margrave: The Curse of the Severed Heart is set after the next Margrave game (margrave 4). The images you see at the start (while Edwina is talking) are in fact scenes from the next game. So the background story behind the bonus content will make more sense after you play the next game.

The bonus content for this game is designed to be a mini adventure in its own right, and also to give an exclusive insight into what's to come in the Margrave saga.

Edited on 03/15/2011 at 7:33:21 AM PST

dlb628
Minnow
Minnow
252 Posts

[Post New]by dlb628 on Mar 15, 11 10:09 AM
Thank you, gdenness! That was really confusing to me. Thanks for explaining it.

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Mar 15, 11 12:00 PM
This game was very enjoyable. It had a smooth logical flow, with good adventure elements and a nice balance of hidden objects and interesting puzzles. I really liked the voices and the quirky elements, such as the card game and shadowlocks. The story was also good - definitely weird, but I liked it. Having very briefly played the first 2 Margrave games, I see absolutely nothing in common with them in either look or format - this one was certainly more engaging. The graphics were good for the most part, although other CE games have done much better in that regard.

All in all, it was a very good game, with a nice length. I am not sure it was worthy of being a CE, however, as the only extra content was a bonus chapter, which was good, but on the short side. Nonetheless, I look forward to the next in this series.

[Post New]by shaganese on Mar 16, 11 7:51 AM
i have same problem..
grandpa09 wrote:i am having trouble finding the fish tail it is not were it is sopose to be help i like it so far
i have the fish head

SZ123
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Margrave: The Curse of the Severed Heart Collector's Edition

[Post New]by SZ123 on Mar 16, 11 9:09 AM
I just wanted to say this is a great game! I had a few problems. I contacted customer service. He told me I had to update my computer and it worked! Great customer support! I loved this game! I hope there's a sequel to this one! Great!! Loved it!!!

skicroghan
Seahorse
Seahorse
27 Posts

[Post New]by skicroghan on Mar 16, 11 5:36 PM
This is by far the best game i have seen since i started playing games 2 years ago. the story was interesting and the beauty of the lush and lovely backgrounds was incomparable. i wanted it to never end. of course it did, way to soon for me. i played it straight thru the nite for 10 sraight hours with breaks only for the little girls room. that is how interesting and enjoyable it was. the puzzles were just difficult enough to make you have to occassionaly refer to the strategy guide and altho there was some backtracking in getting clues it was not as bad as some i have played. so if you like HOG and beautiful artwork buy this game. i luv, luv, luved it.

Go to: