Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Silent Scream: The Dancer

[Post New]by analogmama on Jun 3, 11 11:57 AM
Deliciously stylish and noir. Totally reminiscent of the '60s dull color and black and white noir-horror, specifically one movie which I won't name because it'd be a total spoiler. The grim 1960s city setting was excellent.

Completely threw me on the story line. Completely. I was all "Wait, what??!" at the end, though the game does put subtle clues all throughout. You don't interact with them in general, but the clues are there.

Scary? I yipped and yelped several times when the boo gotchas came up! But it didn't need those - the story itself was enough to shorten your nerves. And it is told well. The story being almost an afterthought is too common, and this one seems to have the story first.

The music -- too loud, but really fitting for the game. I just turned it down.

The voice actor - I know most people are saying how flat and emotionless the lead is, but all things considered, she's perfectly in genre, and I'm sure if you ask the game developers, they'll smile and tell you she's supposed to sound like that.

The voices for the thugs...? Not so good. But they worked.

The art is beautiful. Just beautiful.

Oh yes and there was a game in there, too. The hidden object scenes weren't too difficult. The puzzles weren't either, but that blasted pipeworks - I couldn't figure out the intent of it. Bah. I love pipework puzzles, too.

Not a difficult game, but it's worth it for the story. A little too much running around, but eh. It's not my shoe leather being worn out.

What I LOVED was that you could not pick up anything until you knew what you were going to do with it!

That always bugs me in games. "Oh look, a large and angry goose, I shall just pick it up and carry it with me in the off chance I shall need a large and angry goose." And then of course, you do need it, and what wonderful foresight you had in picking it up. o.O; I can see picking up things like crowbars and knifes, you can always use those. But not the odder things.

I did notice the lead character's shoes changed in the course of the movie, that was amusing.

Really a different and edgy game. I loved it.

griffgirl
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by griffgirl on Jun 11, 11 6:59 PM
Only played 13 minutes of the trial - way too much dialogue for my taste

[Post New]by lapyap on Jul 14, 11 9:20 AM
This is the first time I have ever commented on a game...Generally I'm a positive person and try to find the good in situations, people, etc., but this was one of the worst games I've ever played. Others have already commented on all the going back and forth to pick up objects you've seen many times already (and were not able to pick up). The graphics just look like someone was in a rush and lazy. What was really annoying me, though, more so as the game went on was the inconsistency of the narrated text. Some sections were in proper English, but too many were not. It was very sloppy to not have someone proofread this prior to publication. I clicked through most of the puzzles just to get through with the game. I would not recommend this game.

meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by meanbusiness on Aug 9, 11 11:32 PM
lapyap wrote:This is the first time I have ever commented on a game...Generally I'm a positive person and try to find the good in situations, people, etc., but this was one of the worst games I've ever played. Others have already commented on all the going back and forth to pick up objects you've seen many times already (and were not able to pick up). The graphics just look like someone was in a rush and lazy. What was really annoying me, though, more so as the game went on was the inconsistency of the narrated text. Some sections were in proper English, but too many were not. It was very sloppy to not have someone proofread this prior to publication. I clicked through most of the puzzles just to get through with the game. I would not recommend this game.

Brother! Ditto to all that.... Also the story actually fell apart at the end. I just wanted to finish this game and erase. The grammar was horrendous, and the back and forth game play was painful. I am very thankful that I am finally finished. To Maximize Games, please go back to the drawing board and hire someone to proof the spelling and grammar. Additionally, the dialogue could use some extensive polishing.......

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Oct 1, 11 11:28 AM
This game was unique, suspenseful, full of surprises, tense, and overall interesting. I didn't have a problem with the graphics. They seemed to complement the strangeness of the story. The hint button was very helpful. When I got stuck, it would show a picture of where I needed to be. I would not buy the sequel to this game (if one is ever developed). One experience like this is enough for me.The minigames were not difficult, but did take some thinking time. This is the first game I've purchased from Maximize Game Studio. Some will like this game; others may not.

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

[Post New]by IYBAKH on Oct 1, 11 11:29 AM
This game was unique, suspenseful, full of surprises, tense, and overall interesting. I didn't have a problem with the graphics. They seemed to complement the strangeness of the story. The hint button was very helpful. When I got stuck, it would show a picture of where I needed to be. I would not buy the sequel to this game (if one is ever developed). One experience like this is enough for me.The minigames were not difficult, but did take some thinking time. This is the first game I've purchased from Maximize Game Studio. Some will like this game; others may not.

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

IYBAKH
Minnow
Minnow
226 Posts

Mardenoir
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by Mardenoir on Jan 18, 12 11:22 PM
The style is pretty unique and it reminds me of Tim Burton's art, I quite like it

The gameplay was very interesting, overall it's a good game except the storyline which is a turn-off.
I wish they can work on a better ending than this.

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Jun 24, 12 1:13 PM
DO NOT like that it indicates items to interact with but won't let you interact with them until it suits them. Don't indicate them at all if you want to be that way (MCF 13th Skull has items you will need later and if you have playede before, you know that but you can't pick them up till the game lets you; but in the meantime the cursor doesn't even acknowledge those items).

Way too many cutscenes in the beginning (and I didn't really get very far into the demo). Backstory too long. "My daughter has had asthma since she was born and medicine is expensive," yada, yada, yada. You're a single mom, you don't have a lot of money. We get it.

Never did get what it was she saw that she got whacked over the head about. And if it was worth whacking her over the head, why didn't they go all the way? "Don't hurt me and I won't tell" but they hurt her and she doesn't appear to have amnesia. I may be missing the point because I didn't even finish the demo but I couldn't see anything appealing about this game at all. When I couldn't cut the wire spring with the pliers I said forget about it. No wonder it's $2.99.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 22, 12 4:35 PM
i myself enjoyed the sparkles ! There is alot of story also which I loved. made the game even more interesting to me. .....lisa

sandicats5
Clownfish
Clownfish
573 Posts

[Post New]by sandicats5 on Jan 2, 13 7:44 PM
Game was okay for a free one as I used a coupon. Didn't care for the ending!

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Feb 25, 13 11:05 AM
I had just finished playing Silent Scream II and enjoyed it so much I thought I would download this demo and give it a try....mistake...not at all like SSII. Very cartoony, A LOT of cut scenes and dialog...not worth even completing the demo. Arrrgh.

Scottsteaux63
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by Scottsteaux63 on Mar 1, 13 8:02 PM
I got this one using a Game Club Credit mainly because I was also in the process of purchasing "Silent Scream II: The Bride" and I make it a policy when there's a series to play all of the games.

In a way I am glad I didn't actually pay for it: this game has one major unlovely quirk: far too many cut scenes and you have to either sit there and endure them (they are S-L-O-W going) or skip them; there's no option to click through.

As Hidden Object games go, pretty standard, and I did like the fact that these developers did not confuse "hidden objects" with "buried in the dark objects that can't be seen with the naked eye."

That being said, the story is good if you are inclined to take the excess time to watch all the cut scenes. Some of the puzzles I really didn't like: particularly the "get the object out of the pocket without making noise" ones. Bluntly put, I suck at puzzles in general and these proved quite impossible to get past so I had to just wait and click "Skip Puzzle."

Not wonderful but not terrible either.

[Post New]by VampyraNitemar on Feb 11, 14 10:31 AM
OK I bought the six game pack legends of darkness for my new computer and everything was going great. but when I tried to play silent scream it played but was all black I heard the story line but no video. then when I closed it and tried to play it again it just had the I con at the bottom of the screen and I would have to restart my computer. Someone help please! Its a brand new computer.

zuliker
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by zuliker on Jul 30, 14 7:47 PM
Great game. Artwork is fantastic, the storyline was well written. People from the Twitter generation with attention spans similar to a gerbils' will probably not like this game.

Jurinne
Clownfish
Clownfish
606 Posts

[Post New]by Jurinne on Aug 22, 14 12:01 PM
This is an exercise in futility and frustration requiring excessive use of the hint and skip buttons and unsuccessful attempts to decipher cryptic statements and puzzle instructions. At least for me.

When I saw the word "cockroaches" misspelled that was enough for me. Do game developers not check these things out? Who can misspell "cockroaches"?!?

I love film noire. I love creepy, spooky, scary. I search for it. I loved the spooky whisper each time an object was picked up in a HOS. I loved that scary kid cry/scream sound - very realistic. I even loved the mother's voice.

I did not like finding objects I knew I would use and not being allowed to pick them up until a specific point in time. I did not like having to put an object exactly where it had to be put to work - within a hundredth of a millimeter.

That thread? Eewwww....thread just doesn't look like that! I wouldn't pick that object up if you paid me!

I bought this game a long time ago and decided to give it another go. Maybe I'll try again someday.

Edit: I got through it, bad English, poorly drawn objects in the HOS and more. I spent most of my time waiting for the hint button to recharge. I just could not get into this and it's a shame because the story could have been good with a little care put into it. So much did not make sense. In one case an action had been completed twice but suddenly could not be completed a third time because of something that would have made it impossible the first two times. Being forced to wait until the "game" gave permission to go somewhere or to pick up an object was almost intolerable. During one puzzle I kept getting thrown out and every time the skip button started over. Finally I gave up and just sat there without doing anything until I could click on "skip".

The only reason I played the game is because I paid for it.

Edited on 08/24/2014 at 7:12:01 PM PST

Go to: