Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Midnight Mysteries: Devil on the Mississippi Collector's

[Post New]by RavensWings on Jun 6, 11 5:27 PM
To me the Midnight Mysteries: Devil on the Mississippi is too much like the Edgar Alan Poe game. HOG starts the same way. For once I played for the hour and it just wasn't worth it to me.

Sorry,
Raven

Ceorl
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
18 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Midnight Mysteries: Devil on the Mississippi Collector's

[Post New]by Ceorl on Jun 7, 11 10:05 AM
I thought this game with its combination of Marlovian theory and Civil War Black Ops on the Mississippi a little rich but seemingly plausible but all in all a little too much. I disliked the game because up till now all the CE's have - in my opinion - been very good which I thought this one was not. I enjoyed the hidden object scenes but found the graphics somewhat gli-itchy and dark as in dim. I'm sorry, maybe its just the weather, but I also ditched the Tom Sawyer scenes and am now waiting for the next game to come along. In a way, I enjoyed the history lessons about Sam Clemens and his family and was highly interested in the concept of there being spies for the Union going up and down the Mississippi with Mark Twain as navigator. I'm also interested in the Shakespeare Problem so for me this game kept me sailing along,
I think most people will enjoy it.

9gamer5
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

[Post New]by 9gamer5 on Jun 7, 11 12:44 PM
Looks like another good one for the Midnight Mysteries series. Will probably buy it.

Love it!

[Post New]by snorklecat on Jun 8, 11 2:20 PM
This game is cozy, fun, amusing in places, and not tooooo much hand holding. I would still like a bit less "help", but this game is much better than most in that regard. I just like the overall feel of this whole series and hope the developers make more. I enjoyed it!

Flinker
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by Flinker on Jun 8, 11 4:59 PM
I have finished playing the entire game. Although I enjoyed the balance of hidden object scenes, mini games, finding clovers, searching scenes, etc., overall I did not like this game.

I didn't like the demons jumping out at different points and I found it hard to follow the story line. I find that I don't enjoy games that change history (ie Hidden Mysteries Civil War where John Wilkes Booth doesn't actually kill President Lincoln) and this game which challenges the notion that Shakespeare wrote his own plays.

This game had an overall demonic darkness that I did not appreciate. Not the kind of game, that I would like my kids to join me in.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Jun 8, 11 5:38 PM
Mr_Russ wrote:This seemed too short and too easy. Some games are like marmite. This one's vanilla - it goes down smoothly enough but doesn't leave anything behind.

LOL. That is the best review I have ever read about a game. And I completely agree with you.

The bonus including bones (all but 10) was done in about an hour. Disappointed in this game - I did enjoy the game in widescreen, finding clovers and the ravens but it was lacking in that special something that makes a good game into a very good game. Wish I had waited for the SE and picked it up with a free coupon.

edit: Being British, it just irked me about the comments on Shakespeare ggrrr.

Edited on 06/08/2011 at 5:40:21 PM PST

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Jun 10, 11 1:07 AM
I just wanted to reiterate that it's frustrating to me that the previous two in the series were released as Standard Editions yet the third installment comes out as a Collector's Edition without anything that really sets it apart from the other two, such as game length that is not long enough to justify the extra cost and no voice acting, just to name a few! I do own several CE's but I'm a bit put off by this one because they started charging double the cost mid-series. Not cool.

For that reason and several other flaws that many have mentioned that do not make this game "CE worthy" I will wait for the SE on this one. (Which is what it should have been sold as in the first place but I digress...)

I suppose all future games in this series going forward will be sold as a CE. And unless they make some dramatic shift in the gaming experience that makes it absolutely superb compared to the others, I'll pass on shelling out the extra money for those as well. It will take more than just a "name brand" to convince me to pay extra.

Cheers!

[Post New]by looth1 on Jun 10, 11 2:19 AM
just finished the game. graphics and other things are great. but i didn't quite understand the plot. it was a bit confusing. and also it was too short and easy than other midnight mystery games.

Edited on 06/10/2011 at 2:22:02 AM PST

[Post New]by puppyshack200 on Jun 10, 11 10:37 PM
This is a nice game can anyone tell me how to get the mop to work?

[Post New]by perks123 on Jun 12, 11 2:53 PM
Loved playing this game. Lots of puzzles. Great story line.

XtreemNorth
Guppy
Guppy
174 Posts

[Post New]by XtreemNorth on Jun 13, 11 10:17 AM
This has to be one of the best games ever! Thankyou Big Fish for making this one available and to those who made the game. The graphics are astounding. It kept me busy for hours, looking for things, putting items together and the story was terrific. I have only positive comments to say about the entire game. Love love love it and want more of it.

dbendr
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by dbendr on Jun 13, 11 4:14 PM
I bought the Mac CE and have played it through twice, the second time in order to collect enough clovers to unlock the unlimited HOG. I'm pretty pleased with it. The art is excellent and they went to some trouble to use objects that are correct for the period or at least reasonably close in the HOG scenes. Tesla's lab in particular displayed a lot of research. Twain's theory about Shakespeare is certainly wrong, but I didn't mind using it as a premise for a fantasy story. I'm a history fan and enjoyed learning some facts about Twain's family.

I had trouble finding the sweet spots for setting down active objects like the spotting scope and used up a lot of hints confirming that I was putting the right object in the right place, until I noticed that it flashes differently when you get warm. I didn't need the strategy guide but I did skip some puzzles. Navigation between scenes was straightforward and the balance between puzzles, HOG scenes and storyline suited my tastes. It must take a lot of random clicks to set off the cat penalty; never happened to me.

I started playing HOGs about nine months ago. I would like to see a game of this quality that doesn't involve ghosts, demons or black magic as major plot devices. All that ooky spooky gets a little old. How about a murder mystery or political intrigue instead? Maybe encounter some characters whose motivations aren't immediately obvious?

I agree that voices would be better than dialogue balloons, but only if the actors are good, and given that this game would require a lot of different accents, probably not economically feasible.

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Jun 13, 11 8:10 PM
I just got done playing this game! I am not even reading the comments because I don't want it to spoil my fun or taint my own opinion! I totally enjoyed the game! I bought the game when it first came out but haven't had time to play the whole game until now! I totally enjoyed the game and I am glad that I got the CE on this particular game! I enjoyed the bonus game play. On top of the bonus game play there is a "Dem Bones" Hunt ...hunting for 80 bones all over the Hartford house! It's kind of creepily cute. I guess if I think of it in an anatomy/physiology way it doesn't bother me looking for human bones, LOL! I was naming off the bones in my head as I went making it an educational experience, LOL! SO it was an extra..extra bonus gameplay so I thought it was well worth my money! I have really enjoyed the Midnight Mysteries series so far and I do hope they make more!

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Jun 13, 11 8:14 PM
puppyshack200 wrote:This is a nice game can anyone tell me how to get the mop to work?
In making ANY of the objects to work with the interactive scenes you have to hold it over the area that you know it is going to work on... In this case the soiled floor. Hold it over the part that you see it start to sparkle as you are holding it over it and then it will work! I had to try it a few times before it would work and it wouldn't work until I noticed I dropped it over the sparkly area... hope that helps and I don't think that is a spoiler because COME ON a mop...soiled floor! That's a no brainer!!! I mean that in the nicest possible way...too! LOL!

Edited on 06/13/2011 at 8:15:15 PM PST

ChocPeng
Herring
Herring
346 Posts

[Post New]by ChocPeng on Jun 16, 11 6:08 PM
Just an question/observation then I'll leave a quick review.

Why on earth do people come to the forums, and especially to the thread for reviews about a particular game, and leave a post that they:

1. have just purchased the game and will be playing it soon, or
2. are preparing to play the game momentarily, or
3. planning to get the game very soon and will leave a review when they have finished?

Am I the only one who reads those and then wonders why anyone would think that anyone else would be even remotely interested in such posts? Is there a point to those that I am missing? What information is provided to me in those posts in which I could or should possibly be expected to be interested? This is a legitimate question because I see these all the time, so I must be missing something when I read them and find them totally useless. I'm certain it must be me that is failing to understand the point, so if someone could help me with this, I'd be grateful.

On to the game. I found this game to be a bit strange. The story line was the most convoluted attempt at a story line I've come across in all my years of being a gamer since the original Pong in the 1970s.

However, the puzzles were interesting and I didn't dislike the game at all. I wouldn't want to pay more than $6.99 for it, and I actually got it with free credits, so I didn't have anything invested in it. Had I paid any significant money for the game, my review might sound differently.

As it is, I was entertained and looked forward to playing it when my time allowed. It's no Syberia, but it was ok. Without the extras that the collector's edition provides the game would be quite slim, and I'm not at all a fan of this whole "collector's" thing BFG does.

Happy gaming!

silverink
Minnow
Minnow
200 Posts

[Post New]by silverink on Jun 17, 11 6:55 PM
Excellent game! Not sure what more you can ask for in a CE - everything was high quality - I absolutely loved the true widescreen resolution!! Why aren't all games made that way these days??

Anyhow, beautiful graphics with all the extras (except voices - which would have really been great). The game play was smooth and a good length with great adventure elements and story. I have to say, though, the story was somewhat confusing - but it did make me want to learn more about Mark Twain's take on Shakespeare. I actually enjoyed the Edgar Allen Poe story the most in this series - it was the spookiest so far.

Overall, well worth the $ for a CE. When is the next one? I can't wait to see what author they use next - how about something modern like Stephen King?

timothya
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by timothya on Jun 20, 11 9:28 PM
Loads of fun in this one - enjoyed the shocker moments when something green was bursting out. Gorgeous graphics, lovely, atmospheric music, and a plot that appeals more to history buffs than the casual fan. It helps a lot to know why Walsingham and Marlowe were engaged in intelligence activities - Elizabeth I's grip on the throne was far from firm at that point and she had a number of formidable and ruthless enemies. Her defenders were at times equally ruthless, and ultimately successful.

Clemens' brother Orion was, in fact, awarded a post in Nevada, which brought Samuel out West as recorded in "Roughing It", one of his first successful books. The loss of his family to disease did, in fact, cause Clemens to curse God in "The Damned Human Race". The treatment of Henry Huttleston Rogers was a little harsh, I thought. Were it not for he and Clemens we would likely never have heard of Helen Keller, for one.

But it isn't serious history, it's a game, and if the plot felt a little convoluted at times it was probably because it was trying to incorporate some rather delicious historical tidbits. Full marks to the developers for this one. I really enjoyed it.

sapphire46
Manatee
Manatee
3,740 Posts

[Post New]by sapphire46 on Jun 21, 11 9:12 AM
Just finished. I did it over a few days so the length was great. The other fishes in the pond have said if all, so I wont repeat.
It did make me jump back in my seat a few times took me unaware.
Fantastic game and worth the money for a CE with the extra bonuses .
Have played the other two games when they came out and enjoyed them too.
More games like this please!!

NULL
Herring
Herring
356 Posts

Help! object search in basement of tower (Devil on the Mississippi)

[Post New]by NULL on Jun 25, 11 7:32 PM
Help! We can't locate the bat (hunts by sonar) in the object search. We have already used up two hints trying to find the bat, but they don't help.. Each time the raven shows us a bat shape at the top of the screen, but we click and click over every single pixel in vain. I'm afraid we may be stuck unless someone can help us.

Thanks!

[Post New]by gameplayer300 on Jun 29, 11 11:51 AM
GREAT!! I vote it Game of the year my second collectors edition the first being The 13th Skull Huge Disapointment!!

Go to: