marachat
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

Re:Reviews for Hidden Expedition: The Uncharted Islands Collector's Edition

[Post New]by marachat on Sep 30, 11 2:01 PM
WARNING! Hint of spoiler!(if you can say like that..? )
I'm pleased. This was a really good game! It would've been perfect but there were some kinks, for example the fact you had to click at the absolutely right, very small spot to get something done. Frustrating! Another thing was the objects that were at the lower edge and when you tried to get them you exited to the last scene. Argh!

Otherwise, I loved the game. Stunning graphics, good story and interesting characters. One of the best parts was actually the character's originality in the game. The main character's notes were a delight to read when it wasn't the usual rant about "do this do that to proceed", there were the characters own, very humorous thoughts too! I'd like more of that in games, it makes a game interesting.

I didn't really like the ending, the NY part was kind of unnecessary. No sudden plot twists or anything, just putting the coil to the storage and off to vacation. I like exciting endings.
As said, it would've been perfect without the few kinks. I give it ½ out of five (5) stars.

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Oct 1, 11 5:12 AM
I purchased this game when it first came out. I did like the graphics and the demo was fine.

I just started to play this game and I am so unhappy that I purchased it.

The beginning of the game was great. Once into the game I am so frustrated and the SG is so inconvenient. It is located at the start menu. I guess in the demo I didn’t get far enough into the game to have to actually use the SG and in this game I have to lol. I have no idea where to go to next in most cases so I do need the SG.

There is some humor in journal which was a nice change. I have the other expedition games and enjoyed them. I really do not care for this game. Maybe it is too difficult for me.

Happy gaming for those who like this game.

Kebbielebbie
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Kebbielebbie on Oct 11, 11 10:14 AM
Love the game! Great job...TY Devs!

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Oct 12, 11 6:35 AM
Finished! It certainly was a quality game but... I've used the HINT button lots and lots of times. Just couldn't see clearly where the objects were, certainly in all the underwater scenes. And there has been one negative point, to me anyway: having to find a great number of related pairs. Sometimes that was so hard, that I asked my DH to help me out, or I would have been playing this game for a looong time.

So from the 5 stars I gave this CE, I take 1 back.

Sorry devs, but have to be honest...

Becca_jxxx
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Becca_jxxx on Oct 24, 11 12:32 PM
I really like the graphics of this game, and the gameplay is very good.
The puzzles are creative, which I really enjoyed.

I do not like the other Hidden Expedition games that much, but this is a buy for me.

[Post New]by wyldedragonfly on Oct 25, 11 4:43 PM
silverink wrote: My problem with this game is that there were way too many in-game frustrations that were unnecessary - primarily the apparently small area where one needed to click to use inventory items. It was way too aggravating to click repeatedly, knowing you must have the right item - then try other things you know are wrong - go back and try the right item again which still doesn't work - go to the strategy guide only to find out you DO have the right item - go back and fumble with it some more until you hit the exact spot. That happened way too much for a game of this quality - they really missed the mark in the beta testing on that element in my opinion.

Silverink, I couldn't agree with you more. I had the worse time with the items, coupled with a story line that was plain uninteresting and this is probably one of the worst games I've played in a long time. I am so disappointed I bought the CE. And I am thoroughly shocked at BFG Studios. Really! You are the same people that gave me Return to Ravenhurst and Dire Grove. Wow. I waited a year and a half for this? Shame on you for releasing such dribble. I hope the next MCF isn't as botched as this game was.

Happy Gaming!

[Post New]by queenbt26 on Oct 29, 11 3:26 PM
I have been a member for many years now. Never had a problem until now. I purchased the collectors edition and the strategy guide is almost totally different. When everyone talks about the box on the deck all I had in it was a boat part and the strategy guide is very detailed using a lot of thinks that I do not have. Am I doing something wrong???????????

jean9865
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by jean9865 on Mar 19, 12 3:21 PM
I absolutely love this game. The puzzles are different but workable.

I have all of the Hidden Expedition games and liked them all.

Taking my time with this game by not using the hint button.

So far no technical issues found.

TaxiMommi
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by TaxiMommi on Apr 13, 12 3:23 PM
Such a HUGE disappointment.

[Post New]by applepeachjicama on Apr 20, 12 8:27 AM
I loved this game. It is definitely very challenging even in casual mode!!!! The only complaints: bad place for the strategy guide in the main menu. You will have to use it often and that was a pain. Game is extremely sluggish. Things are very small and difficult to see. Lastly, for some reason, the game requires you use the main key on your touchpad instead of the large light touch pad part. My fingers are sore!!

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Apr 28, 12 1:19 AM
A bit of a disappointment to me as well. The need for absolute precision when placing an item was maddening. The small items in the HOGs were irritating as well, some, even when I clicked the hint, I still couldn't tell it was the object I was looking for. But most frustrating was that usage of certain inventory items and some of the games just had no logical solution. Some games didn't even give a complete explanation! For example SPOILER (highlight to read):
In the violin puzzle the instructions don't mention at all that you can slide the pictures to the right and left. It simply tells you to move them up and down.

The positives were the beautiful graphics, the length of game play (though that may be partially due to reading the long journal entries) and, for the most part, good puzzles.

I'm on the fence about this one.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 16, 12 5:55 AM

Edited on 06/19/2012 at 5:14:41 AM PST

[Post New]by ktaggart57 on Jun 16, 12 4:47 PM
I'm SO disappointed in this game! I loved "Devil's Triangle", but the developers seem to have rushed this one without sufficient testing or oversight. The game didn't behave right in lots of places. Items were mentioned in the journal before being encountered in the game. Either certain items required clicking in very specific places, or refused to recognize clicks until something else was done first. The game says you need the instructions for the egg machine from the gallery, but these didn't get recorded anywhere for later use. In any event, the egg machine instructions already told you everything you needed to know. Some background scenes don't match close-up scenes, as in the burning house. In the last HOG scene in the bonus chapter, I couldn't find the last pair of linked items (and I clicked on EVERYTHING. Exited the room and accidentally clicked on the crate. Re-entered the room and the display at the bottom showed the "1 related pair" crossed out, but the message didn't go away, so the game didn't recognize that I had finished the HOG exercise. Exited the room and the crate had disappeared, so I couldn't finish the game. Lot's of spelling/grammar mistakes. VERY FRUSTRATING. Just seems like sloppy work, not worthy of this franchise. In addition, the puzzles were way too easy. On a positive note, it looked great, and I appreciate the humor and whimsy. I wonder if some of the technical problems are
Mac specific...?

Simba2009
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by Simba2009 on Jul 8, 14 9:25 AM
like a few others can't find the strategy guide after clicking on the menu, get everything but that. I want to see if the guide is any good before I buy the game.

Go to: