pungstress
Minnow
Minnow
203 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Legends: Beauty and the Beast Collector's Edition

[Post New]by pungstress on Sep 28, 11 11:33 AM
spiritdog51 wrote:Maybe it is my mood, though I didn't think I had one , Sappy is all that it felt like. Now I haven't finished the demo, so I will try again later. But the first few puzzles were quite un-puzzling.
I love fairy tales and was excited when this started, I liked the graphics, but after about 20 minutes it just felt sappy. The wanna be queen is ......zzzz.
I don't know but something about it just doesn't grab me like it did for others.

I'll try the demo again, later and see if I feel differently. Right now it would be a no buy even as an SE.

spiritdog51, I know what you mean about the zzzzz-y wanna-be queen but she gets stronger and more a part of the game as you go along. Consider this as a SE when it comes out. I found the bonus game challenging but shorter than what I've come to expect from a CE.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Sep 28, 11 1:02 PM
Swore I would never waste money on another CE, but this one was actually worth it. Mostly a "girly, girly" game (story,etc), but had challenges and was a great deal of fun to play and a good length. The bonus game was even actually a "bonus" game. Not that this will convince me to by CE again, got tired of wasting my money..but you can't lose on this one. A+

[Post New]by Rosiemarieny on Sep 28, 11 8:38 PM
Beauty and the Beast, was my first HOG collectors Edition game and though it was a lot of fun and the graphics were pretty cool I thought it was way too short for a two credit game. I guess from now on I'll wait for the reg. edition.

crystalstorm
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by crystalstorm on Sep 29, 11 6:47 PM
I just want to say THANK YOU to all of you who take the time to post such great detailed reviews and others who add their own bits of info. I used to post more often but noticed that by the time I played the games everything had already been said and I really had nothing of value to offer. I have my FAVS, I never question there reviews but it's always nice to read what others have to offer. If I didn't have Favs to follow I would be quite confused by some reviews for Beauty and the Beast. Some say there are too many **** scenes and not enough adventure...others are saying the opposite and this is quite important to me as I prefer more Adventure, less **** scenes. The other points that have opposite opinions are quite common but for some reason there seems to be more in disagreement for this particular game??
I do LOVE this game (only played the demo) as it is quite unique in the adventure scenes. It's not as simple as some, where you find a key, shovel, etc. and you know pretty much where to use them in the previous or next scene. This game really keeps you on your toes and yes...using hints here and there simply because of the thought put into the creation of this game and it being so different. It is quite refreshing. The only thing I found a bit annoying was in the **** scenes, so many items were very small or not size appropriate . As far as the SG goes, I didn't mind that it didn't give step by step instructions....helps keep the brain cells working as it gives you clues to ponder. The map I found or will find useful just to make sure I haven't forgotten something. I will be purchasing the CE but will wait until Oct. as it will help me to fill a punch card.
Thanks again to my fellow Fishies and to BF! Happy Gaming to All Fishies in the Pond

Demiguise
Guppy
Guppy
162 Posts

[Post New]by Demiguise on Sep 30, 11 7:57 AM
I played this in demo form and enjoyed it, although I think I'll wait for the standard form to come out. It was a tad confusing at first, but once I caught on to the feel of the game, I liked it better.

So, it'll be a purchase for me, but not until next month, maybe with a credit or as a freebie from my punch card.

marachat
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by marachat on Sep 30, 11 4:27 PM
Another one going against the "flow". Warning, all you who loved the game: this little review contains much negative thoughts about the game!

I've only played through the demo and that alone made up my mind: no buy. I thought I'd give it a try even though I'm getting fed up with the fairy tale/princess/prince-crap0 I thought it was going to be okay, but then I thought like eedebeep: mr. Nutkins? Mr. Beak? Seriously? And what's with the robodog? When it shouted "Geronimo!", I was: Worms much...?

Another thing that bugged me too is the thing krissywillow noticed too: The evil sorceresses' bust. I'd love to see more proportional women in games. I'm done with DD-cups(and honey-sweet fairy tales)!

The third thing was the hidden objects. Some of them were so small and blended in too well that I just got frustrated trying to find them! Some of them didn't even look like the things they should've represented. And the proportionality... You'd think it isn't that hard...

Besides, the demo's length was a minus too. I played through it in 30 minutes. I need more to get an opinion on a game. Thumbs down, unfortunately. :/

krissywillow
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,084 Posts

[Post New]by krissywillow on Sep 30, 11 4:56 PM
NANONAN wrote:OK, so I'm the only one that can't stand these icky voiceovers - thought the leprechaun was a great idea, but man she got on my nerves with her voice.

Um, so, no you're not the only one. Read the other reviews.

Memonk
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by Memonk on Sep 30, 11 6:07 PM
Well, it is about time a game worth the money!

sfcali
Guppy
Guppy
128 Posts

[Post New]by sfcali on Oct 1, 11 10:41 AM
krissywillow wrote:
NANONAN wrote:OK, so I'm the only one that can't stand these icky voiceovers - thought the leprechaun was a great idea, but man she got on my nerves with her voice.

Um, so, no you're not the only one. Read the other reviews.

That's why I turn off the voices. That's also why ML: B&B gets highest praise from me. Some games you can't turn off voices without turning off sound or, if you do, you miss so much.

The devs of Beauty and the Beast were very thoughtful in letting those who like voice-acting to have it while those who don't can turn off voice while still keeping the other sounds and still having plenty of written information to make the story seem complete. They deserve kudos for that. Who can really complain? I certainly don't think it a reason to not buy.

While the silly names are a bit, well, silly, they're such a small aspect of the game. As for the bosom, it goes with the silly names--this game has much cheesy dry wit--it goes with all the rest of the steampunk bits. Not so over the top that if you've never done steam punk you'd be lost, but enough for those who like steam punk to smile at it.

But everyone has a different take on it, and that's to be expected. No one game should be liked by everyone or I'd think it had some mind-controlling curse on it!

Edited on 10/01/2011 at 10:41:58 AM PST

crazy8club
Herring
Herring
357 Posts

[Post New]by crazy8club on Oct 1, 11 5:46 PM
I was going to buy this game with credits, but had to actually buy because someone from CS took my credit that I purchased yesterday after I had purchased another game. .

I loved the games graphics, music, and voice overs. They sure have good ventroloquists. Talking with clear voices but not moving the lips.This is one very long game. Took me over 6 hrs. + to finish. I even played the bonus where you got to whack of blondie. Note, I don't hate blondes, just one in particular.

I ended up with between 6th , 7th or 8th place in length of time to finish whole game. Makes this grandma (3) and great grandma (2) happy.

I really liked it where we deidn't have to a lot of HOG scenes. The only thing I really hated was the loud explosions (not good for the motherboard of PC). Penalty for fast clicking. . Also, cursor floated around a lot, before and after I released our handsome little beasty.

I give this a:

To the developers and BFG:

[Post New]by LapTopDancerr on Oct 3, 11 12:59 AM
It Seldom Gets Better Than This For Me Here! Thank You Pixel People and BFG!

I this game...I hope The Developers and BFG read this far down when there are already a ton of reviews.
This is the type of HOPA I love!!!!! I did not find anything to complain about. Strategy guide is on spot and in the upper right corner if you don't want to go to the guide there's a "reminder" of what the heck you're suppose to do without giving away the whole entire farm. I could watch the opening scene before you start the game and see this huge castle with snow falling all day long! Now that should be a screensaver.
Absolutely love everything; gameplay, SG, the robo dog!!! and all the other weird (tongue in cheek) stuff they threw into the mix.
I would love to see more games like this on BFG....I just love well done Fairy tales/Fantasy games and they couldn't have done it any better. I enjoy creepy games too....but to escape the same old same old in real life (recession, stress, people out of work, sick, etc) to an opening scene like this one and it continues with beautiful artwork, good story, fun game; this is the best way to leave the real world behind. And I do love Hidden Object Games over only adventure, so if you change anything in your next production, add an extra H0 scene. Thank you!

Review continues in thread "length" includes Bonus.

Edited on 10/11/2011 at 5:11:00 AM PST

[Post New]by auntchris27 on Oct 3, 11 2:28 PM
MADE UP MY MIND AFTER YOUR RATING, HOPE WE HAVE SIMILAR TASTS

sm22281
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by sm22281 on Oct 5, 11 9:31 PM
I want to add my very positive feedback for this game... I enjoyed this game very much, I played it all through by myself with occasional peeks at the Strategy Guide and the map. Awesome game altogether...
I don't like tortured - possessed stories or too cute stuff, this was just right for me, with high quality graphics and surprises yet not too difficult.
Keep it coming!

[Post New]by LydsLuvsRich on Oct 6, 11 11:49 AM
I LOVE LOVE this game! I'm a sucker for fairytales anyway, but the graphics, puzzles, length of game, made this a definitely buy for me. I also love that I can let my pre-teen daughter play it also- nothing TOO scary or sexy for her eyes. I actually had to use the hints a few times, usually I don't have to in games of this nature- the added challenge was nice. I'm a big fan of HOG and adventure/puzzle games. This was nice, give it a try!

dfranklin
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by dfranklin on Oct 6, 11 8:37 PM
I'll weigh in on this one too. Agree with most of the posts here, and also agree with the other thread about this being kind of short for a CE.

Overall, I'd give it

Pros:
1) Absolutely EXCEPTIONAL graphics, bar none (this is what really did it for me)
2) Nice voice overs
3) Unexpected humor (click on lesser characters multiple times throughout the game to hear lots of funny responses)
4) Nice tight storyline/plot (agree it could have been expanded upon, but the story and actions within the game made sense...a biggie for me with so many games sending you on wild goose chases that seem stupid as they have nothing to do with the plot... this one did not do that)

Cons:
1) For a CE, no wallpaper, no ability to replay cutscenes, cannot download soundtrack. Essentially, you can play the bonus chapter and see your score and that's about it...unless you want to read the original fairytale...um, not really.
2) Also for a CE, a fairly short, albeit visually appealing and plot-aligned, bonus chapter
3) Short length overall...not "too short to consider purchase" but I'd guess that maybe even just 25%-30% longer would really have left a lot more of us satisfied
4) Could use a bit more character development...the Prince/Beast was more or less just an accessory in the game and we didn't know much about Belle or the Enchantress either (other than one got the Prince and the other was spurned)

babbydoll1201
Minnow
Minnow
281 Posts

[Post New]by babbydoll1201 on Oct 9, 11 7:21 PM
Fantastic game I must say! The graphics are awesome. I really enjoyed the game very much. It took me about 4 hours included the bonus content. I am a fast player too...

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Oct 12, 11 11:24 PM
Absolutely the BEST! This was a wonderful game. Thenk you sooooo much!

kittcar
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by kittcar on Oct 15, 11 12:45 AM
I too really liked this game, especially the SE part of it. The graphics were beautiful...the voices were great...the puzzles overall were very interesting..I enjoyed the HOG sections and actually used the hint button more than I can remember in any recent game, but I don't mind that because it meant I really had to look in order to see some the items...This section of the game also lasted a reasonable amount of time.
On the other hand, I did find the bonus section to be extremely short and to me it seemed to be of a much darker nature...If you're not a fan of creepy witch spells, and making potions etc...the bonus part just seemed to be more focused on that type of story line.
Knowing what I do now...I personally would have just purchased the SE version and been happier with that.
BTW I didn't have any glitches when playing and it downloaded fairly quickly for me.

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Oct 18, 11 5:19 PM
i finished it, including bonus play, and overall, liked it. i never got into the tv version, but remember it from fairy tales. i liked that it covered a few and enjoyed the interactive part. played on most difficult mode, still found some scenes/puzzles very easy, then found some i just couldn't figure out. very nice graphics, bg music ok, i keep it on the down low...for the most part hos were pretty easy. not sorry to have gotten the ce.

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Oct 18, 11 9:23 PM
liked the demo, will wait for the se

Go to: