slester
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by slester on Nov 23, 11 5:48 PM
I bought this without even demo'ing it. I must say I love, love, LOVE the morphing HOG scenes. I'm loving the game so far and the only negative I have found is the Case Report diary doesn't keep track of the 'number' clues I find along the way. I've had to keep a piece of paper and pen handy to keep track of them. But that doesn't detract from the game at all. I'm loving it so far. It's challenging and doesn't have the handholding that 13th Skull had.

seeme278
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

Re:Reviews for Mystery Case Files®: Escape from Ravenhearst™ Collector's Edition

[Post New]by seeme278 on Nov 23, 11 5:56 PM
The Demo doesn't do this game justice. I almost didn't purchase after playing the demo, which was very short -- and would have been ridiculously short if I didn't have to wait and watch for morphing objects. I purchased the game simply because it is an MCF and I have never been disppointed (although I wouldn't mind going back to the more tongue in cheek episodes like Madame Fate). Everything everyone said about the graphics, sound, etc. is absolutely correct. All excellent. I like this game because it really challenges you to think outside the box. The puzzles are clever, and in some cases bizarre -- as MCF can be. You need to write stuff down because codes, combinations, etc. are not entered in your journal. You may be tempted to use the SG, but I recommend figuring things out on your own. There is logic to every solution and great satisfaction when you have that AHA! moment.

Negatives: I could take or leave the morphing. Mixing up morphing and **** boards would have been a good compromise. And . . . This game is not for everyone. Some might find the themes offensive, even blasphemic (I just found them warped). Nervous pregnant women should not play this game.

And still wondering: I'm not really sure why this is a Collector's Edition. There is no extra game play and not even free wallpaper or music. Unless all MCF's are now "collector's editions."

Finally: Did anyone else think the wispering voice was calling you a naughty word for an anatomical part?

Happy Gaming!

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 6:00:08 PM PST

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!

[Post New]by hazzledreams on Nov 23, 11 6:11 PM
I am a very happy fishie today- BFG for delivering yet another game that sets the bar extremely high within the industry. I have noticed that every-time BFG releases a game that is unique and new, other developers follow suit and up their standards-which leads to more fantastic games for us down the road.

I rarely give glowing reviews but this deserves nothing less.

Sorry to cut your quote mycatluna. I could not have said things more eloquently than you did. I completly agre 150%
Way to go BFG and MCF This one is way out of the park!!!

[Post New]by robinbobbin on Nov 23, 11 6:12 PM
I have only played the trial. Very disappointed. I love the MCF series, but I will not buy this game. A few morphing objects can be fun, but that is ALL there is. No normal hidden object scenes. Very boring. There's also animation in every morphing object scene, so sometimes you have a tough time telling the difference between an animated object and a morphing one. No puzzles in the demo at all, so I don't know what they are like, or if there even ARE any. The ghosts popping up to wring their hands and tell me to turn back are EXTREMELY annoying; if it only happened once or twice I'd have no problem, but just in the demo it happened at least six times! EVERY new area it was "no, no, it's too dangerous here!".

There were some positive points: having the ghosts break something after you completed the MO scene so you could get your 'prize' was a neat change, although in direct contrast to the first ghost's explanation that they could only change the appearance of physical objects. The art was very nice, as usual. The music was pleasant. I for one like the little descriptive passages that you get when clicking on otherwise unusable areas; they add a nice tone. Although the content of the ghosts' message was extremely annoying, they were less disruptive than the "interactive" conversations in 13th Skull.

In the end, though, those few positives could not outweigh the fact that this game was just no fun to play.

[Post New]by woodspinner on Nov 23, 11 6:16 PM
Prettiest games I've ever seen. One of the worst games I've ever played. Every HOG scene is a morphing scene. You have to wait while your demo time is ticking away. Can't click at random since you are penalized for that by having more morphing items to find. Hints only work in the MOGs. That means that if you're stuck on what to do next, you just wander aimlessly unless you use the SG. I always wait for the SE before buying so won't get the SG. Then the seemingly illogical things like using a can opener to move a boulder? Huh? But the !@#$% MOGs made it a definite no buy for me even as an SE.

apples16951
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

[Post New]by apples16951 on Nov 23, 11 6:24 PM
I bought this game immediately without trying the demo, and I have mixed impressions.

The morphing **** scenes do not bother me at all. I'm not a big fan of ****'s so whether they morph or not is irrelevant.

I find the overall tone of the game somewhat disturbing. It makes me uncomfortable. The crying babies....the violent images... I keep thinking I am going to be attacked by monsters at any moment, that something very gruesome is about to happen.

I guess that's what they want us to feel. It's a little too intense for me to play for long periods of time.

Having said all of that, I love large file games and this one is well worth the CE price.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Nov 23, 11 6:28 PM
Others have mentioned that the demo ended when they got, I guess, into the lighthouse. My demo time ran out before I managed that; I had just gotten through the locked gates and was looking at the main house when it ended. I never even played anything that could be called a mini-puzzle yet, just found and used various inventory objects. I saw the puzzle on the wall in Victor's old house but there was nothing for me to do with it. So I'm thinking that I'm going to be a very slow player in this game; the game length should be very good for me.

Some thoughts:

I've been reading comments in the game threads since I've been here about how much people like morphing objects in games and how they are tired of too many H0 scenes in the adventure games. Seems to me that the game developers heard and listened to those comments, hence the morphing object scenes instead of straight H0 ones.

In each morphing object scene there was one object that I ABSOLUTELY could not find, and had to turn to the Hint button. I'm not sure yet if I love or hate the MOS. It is somewhat akin to watching paint dry for me. I find I have to mentally divide the scene into segments and stare at each segment for a while, hoping to see the flicker of the change. I suppose that once I become more familiar with the game type I will catch the flickers more easily, but right now a MOS takes me longer to get through than a HOS.

I only had to turn to the Strategy Guide once so far for help, but that was just because I was determined to figure things out on my own.

The graphics are simply stunning; kudos to the designers for how they got the rain and water to look, not to mention the random movements of the leaves when the rain hits them. (Am I the only one who was laughing to herself over the thought that the rain splashes somewhat look like sparklies?) Love the voices and whispers. The music and ambient sound are excellent; they set the mood but don't overwhelm and intrude on the game play. The custom cursor was a nice size.

I haven't come across anything yet in the storyline that perturbs me. I did like that the comments didn't tell us specifically that we needed X item to do Y thing, but instead just hinted at it.

I'm sorry to say, I broke Madam Fate by poking at her too much. I also had fun beeping the car horn whenever possible.

So far, thankfully, I haven't experienced any of the tech problems that have been reported in the other thread.

It's a buy for me.

qbrn
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by qbrn on Nov 23, 11 6:34 PM
BFG has some truly sick minds....and I love it. The warning was needed for those that want to sleep tonight. Me, I'll be up finishing the game. I'm not a morph fan but I figure we need to change it up now and then. I do miss the HOGs as MCF had some of the best. The mini games are not redundant but have been a bit more challenging. All in all, glad I bought it. Thanks to the sick, sick, SICK devs. Do your mommas know what you do?

[Post New]by grandmagamer49 on Nov 23, 11 6:36 PM
I have all of the Ravenhearst collection and was so pleased about getting a new game. I played all of about 30 min and decided am not buying this one..Did not like the morphing puzzle's..

[Post New]by plantagenet1 on Nov 23, 11 6:41 PM
I will be watching further comments on this and biding my time, because I do not like to be nudged further and further into bizarre violence in the games I play, and that's what may be happening here. I'll wait and see...for me the trial was so so. The graphics were wonderful in the closeup scenes, but I didn't like all the morphing. Ran smoothly on my computer.

geezerhundmom
Guppy
Guppy
191 Posts

[Post New]by geezerhundmom on Nov 23, 11 6:44 PM
Have been a MCF fan since Huntsville and Prime Suspects, so bought it after a short demo to make sure it worked for me. No technical problems thank goodness. After finishing the game this evening, I have mixed feelings:
- Loved the graphics and sounds - a beautifully designed game from a visual standpoint.
-Didn't much care for the morphing objects and hope that they do not become a trend in future games. They are fun as an "add-on" but not as a key form of gameplay.
- Liked some of the puzzles, which were ingenious.
- Found the game however confusing and hard to follow. Would still be playing through the weekend if I hadn't used the SG to figure out my next move or next location a lot of the time.
- Hated the SG - sometimes it gave way too much information about what to do (i would much prefer a guide that gave stepped hints like the recent Drawn games do), and other times it left me feeling utterly confused.
- By the time I finally figured out the purpose of the tabs in the Case Diary I was too bored to keep looking for the morphing objects in it.
- Feel like the game was over-hyped and did not live up to the expectations that I had built up for it.

All in all - I am okay that I bought it (it was a MCF after all!) but it will not be on my list of must play games or games that I will replay.

BFG development is clearly talented - but I can't help feeling that the effort and talent that was obviously devoted to this game would have been put to better use in developing 2-3 other games instead.

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 6:45:05 PM PST

[Post New]by Madame_Fate on Nov 23, 11 6:53 PM
EFR is interesting and fun, creepy but not scary, challenging but not impossible, beautiful to look at and great to listen to. That about sums it up.

vault07
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by vault07 on Nov 23, 11 6:56 PM
Yay! Awesome! Fantastic! Thank you!!!!!

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Nov 23, 11 7:01 PM
This IS Awesome!! I am aware that many have complaints about the Morphing Objects rather then a list of Hidden Objects. For me personally however, I find this to be a nice change of pace I don't stare at the screen any longer then I normally would if it were an H O scene.

The graphics are awesome. The ambiance is truly fitting. There's enough of a challenge to keep me going for some time!

I haven't gotten that far into the game yet, but gotta say, I am not in the least bit disappointed.

Andddd...I am gonna get a badge too!

SoManyCrimes
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by SoManyCrimes on Nov 23, 11 7:07 PM
Short Version: Truly excellent when it's good but frustrating when it's not. If you really can't stand the MOs and prefer puzzles to come with instructions it may be too exasperating. If you're on the fence about the CE then I would say that the door token hunt (which only comes with the CE) is one of the best aspects, the game would be seriously diminished without it. If you're on the fence about getting it at all then I would say that the game SERIOUSLY picks up shortly after the demo ends. A complete shift in tone which is really well executed.

Long Version: Really high production values almost ruined by an experiment with MOs instead of H0s. I really like the way the gameplay is integrated into the story, but the morphing is (as many others have complained) even more tedious that regular H0s. Luckily the hint recharge is really fast, so you can basically skip them.

The story and theme is the same sort of goofy grotesqueness we've come to expect. Very well executed, but paper-thin.

I was disappointed in the pacing. Once you reach the hub, it seems like there are going to be five equally sized 'worlds'. But the last two are barely more than a few screens, and over in a few minutes. So whilst the game is a good length, it's actually shorter than you might think. The end also seems rushed.

The puzzles are excellent. No instructions, but they all respond logically to experimentation. I didn't get stuck at all, but the SG is picture only and many people have found this frustrating. Also the diary doesn't track all the information (because it's randomised) so you'll either have to memorise things (nothing too onerous, 5 digits at a time at most) or take notes.

The layout is very nice. The hub layout means nothing is too far once the back tracking starts and the way in which you can return to the starting screens is very satisfying, allowing for some clever puzzles at the end that use items from near the beginning.

Finally, the hunt for the door tokens is a very welcome addition, only available in the CE. It's a clever sort of mini-game with a few nice twists as you progress. It could use a much better explanation to start with, I think, but is intuitive once you've done the first one.

I would happily see this repeated in future games, but would be grateful never to have to watch for another MO again. I didn't even like them in Dire Grove. A rare case of listening TOO much to customer feedback and then not thinking it through.

Edited on 11/23/2011 at 7:09:24 PM PST

grandmab3248
Herring
Herring
342 Posts

[Post New]by grandmab3248 on Nov 23, 11 7:14 PM
I am terribly dissapointed in this latest MCF. I have the previous MCF games and enjoyed them very much. I was so looking forward to this latest release. An entire game of morphing objects is just too much. Besides, I'm an avid h. o. lover. I also thought the strategy guide was rather inadequate. And after reading some of the reviews on the content further on in the game, I'm sure I would not have liked it. I tried to quit after about 15 minutes. There was apparently a glitch in my version and I tried to quit, as I couldn't continue to finish the demo. However, I could not find an "exit" box to click on. Then when I hit "control, alt & delete" on my keyboard to get out of the game, I got a message on my screen that the program wouldn't let me. So I had to actually turn off my computer to get out of this game.

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Nov 23, 11 7:43 PM
Do not like morphing objects. I'll pass on this one for sure. Nuff said. We all have
different tastes and that is a good thing. Enjoy.

candybrand
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by candybrand on Nov 23, 11 7:44 PM
thanks dogmama, i remember now what it is, i have seen it in other games, thanks for your help, off to download now HAPPY THANKSGIVING ALL

marssign
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by marssign on Nov 23, 11 8:03 PM
I have bought and played all the previous MCF games. I liked some better than others of course but this game has several shortcomings.

The first shortcoming is the strategy guide. It does not give very much guidance. It is very difficult to follow along with the pictures only. A written walkthrough or explanation of the mini-games would be much more helpful.

The strategy guide in pictures makes it very difficult to figure out where to go next. It is also very difficult to figure out what to do when you get to your destination as the pictures do not make it clear.

The long intro before you meet Victor is quite boring. There is no explanation of what you are doing and why.

Another drawback is the morphing objects. It is very difficult to see certain ones when they morph if you are not looking directly at them. I found myself using the hint button quite a lot in the scenes.

In my game, the strategy guide said that the solution for the electrical box for the lighthouse was always the same. In mine, it was not. I followed the instructions for changing the buttons but did not get the answers required.

[Post New]by squishedfairy on Nov 23, 11 8:07 PM
I finished playing this game. It did take me roughly 12 hours with several breaks in between. (No laundry got done and dinner barely got cooked.)

I will say that this is definitely a love it or hate it game like 13th Skull was. (Personally I think that this redeems MCF in my eyes after 13th Skull)

The graphics are masterfully done and loved how many were kept the same. It never feels right when scenes are different from the previous games.

I didn't mind the Morphing Objects. They took the same amount of time for me as any Hidden Object scene. I understand the complaints, but have learned after playing many HOGs that you need to do something different to capture an audience. Change can be good at times otherwise you stagnate and get left behind.

I did take a few breaks when my eyes became strained to keep the headaches away, and also stopped playing several times during Act 2 since my 4 year old was around. I think the game was creepy at times and somethings were definitely not appropriate for children. The atmosphere of the game is what helped attribute to the creepy feel of the game. (Sacra Terra is a very creepy atmosphere that Act 2 of EFR takes a page from.)

I will say I was more disappointed in the ending. It wasn't as lame as Dire Grove (and grateful the whole game wasn't as cheesy as 13th Skull.) It left still too many unanswered questions, that I won't get into because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who reads this before playing the game. You'll understand when you play. I do like that even though I've been seeing a lot saying this is the end of the Ravenhearst series the ending is still open ended. There is still so much doubt that I believe we might just see another related game.

All in all I enjoyed this game and am glad I bought it. It's not my favorite, but at least it's not as bad as The 13th Skull. You will either love it or not. Very few are like me somewhere in the middle.

Go to: