lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

Re:Reviews for House of 1000 Doors: Family Secret Collector's Edition

[Post New]by lvfao on Jan 9, 12 11:56 PM
This is not what i expected, and i enjoy that very much. this one has all the usual suspects needed for a quality game, and then adds very nice ending, like tying a bow. Once you finish, you will understand what i mean. I think the puzzles were pretty good, especially early on. i finally skipped one of them due to sheer frustration, but that could have been also because of my spousal unit.
i realize ce's are more costly, but i grabbed a few last week of last year during the sale, so i could kinda justify that it was a present to myself... good on ya and thank ya, thank ya very much

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jan 10, 12 9:05 PM
Definately a 10 game. The game itself is quite long and then the bonus chapter is a good lenght too. One of the few games I hated to see end. Worth every penny you pay and you won't regret it. Only "con" I have is that since it is so long you do get a little tired of all the IHOGs, however they are very entertaining themselves. Not being a mini game lover, I got really tired of all the mini games. However both the HINT and SKIP buttons refresh really quickly. The HINT but will help you move through the game too. Definately a triple !

I never will cease to be amazed at the animations and graphics in these games. This one was definately exceptional.

Jillspets
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by Jillspets on Jan 11, 12 12:03 AM
I've just finished this game and I think it's wonderful! It has a good story line and keeps you on the edge of your seat while playing it. The built in stratagy guide is also a big help in a few area's where i got stuck. I"ll definately buy more gomes from this company. Thanks Big Fish!

Jill

judieau
Seahorse
Seahorse
29 Posts

[Post New]by judieau on Jan 13, 12 3:36 AM
This was a great game, congrats Devs! I loved every aspect of it; graphics were beautiful and clear and the sounds weren't spooky or weird. The puzzles weren't too complicated and the storyline was consistent. It was also light-hearted compared to the doom and gloom in many HOGs, so my grand-daughter was also able to play it without being spooked. I found it intriguing right down to the end and worth every cent in my book. Thoroughly enjoyed by this fishy

[Post New]by gramdma7 on Jan 13, 12 5:21 PM
liked the game possibly will buy CE but if the voice overs are really annoying to you then turn off the sound. Bit like if you don't like the TV program turn it off

gamer_girl_09
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by gamer_girl_09 on Jan 15, 12 7:13 PM
I liked the game and feel it was worth purchasing and considering the extra play was more lengthy than most that I've played, the CE is worth the $ to me.

Some things about the game that I could have done without:

Certain sound effects, such as the never ending cricket chirping in the gazebo HOG (I turned the volume down for those) other wise I liked most of the music.

Areas of interest that remained active even after there was nothing left there to do. It gave me the feeling that I should keep checking back at them (which I did and nothing ever happen) like when the magnifying glass kept appearing after business in that are was finished.

I did enjoy the thought out story line and as said before, the bonus play was worth the extra $ for the CE to me. Great game.

Edited on 01/15/2012 at 7:15:45 PM PST

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Jan 18, 12 7:36 AM
certainly one of the best games i have ever played, i too bought this in the sale, otherwise i would not have purchased the ce. the bonus chapter here is well worth the price

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jan 25, 12 3:47 AM
I enjoyed this game, though I have to admit that I thought the puzzles and gameplay would be more challenging.

As the game begins, most of the items you find are used right there and then and the developers have done the usual "handholding" by telling us that we need glue to stick two pieces back together, and so on.

As has been said above, though, further into the game it does become more interesting and you are required to backtrack to different areas to use inventory items. You can do this the traditional way by walking there, or you can use the map to skip to different locations.

I enjoyed the story; especially the premise of a haunted house appearing and disappearing anywhere in the world. That was something new and would perhaps give someone an idea for a novel.

The bonus chapter is nice and of a good length.

This game did not blow me away, but I spent a very enjoyable 5 hours.

iamlindy
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by iamlindy on Feb 3, 12 4:21 PM
I did a beta test for this one and could hardly wait for it to show up. Bought the CE right away and loved it! Lots to do, lots of puzzles and lots and lots of places to go and explore. Right up there with the best of the games I hope there is another chapter it will be great! Thanks to the developers for this game. Nice looking graphics, can't say about sound as I never play with the sound on games. I listen to the radio instead

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Feb 11, 12 12:42 PM
Agree with all of the positive reviewers..

I just finished the game wow what a great game. Graphics are super and very clear. Great storyline and interesting characters.

This will be one of my favorite games so far. I got my monies worth with this CE for sure. Great length for the bonus play also.

SG and map were great. Loved jumping thru the map to cut down on the running around.

Give this game a try if you like the darker style games.

Silvia_B
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by Silvia_B on Feb 14, 12 6:03 PM
What a great game. Wonderful graphics. Interesting mini-games. I never got bored. It was just so well done. I loved the characters & the voice overs. I would recommend this game to everyone. I discovered when you start playing so many games, they can get very tedious. Lots are... been there, done that. I actually have played this more than 2 times, big deal for me.

CDue
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

[Post New]by CDue on Mar 2, 12 7:54 AM
I played this, finished it & loved it. I am looking for other games that are the same. I have gotten several of the hidden objects game, but all you do is find a list of items. I really liked the story line on this & having to go from place to place to complete the goals. If anyone can give me a list of similar games, I would appreciate it. Thanks

blujeens
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by blujeens on Mar 7, 12 7:31 PM
OK, here's my review of House of 1000 Doors: Family Secret CE:

Options: Music, Sound Effects, Ambient Audio, Full Screen, Wide Screen, Windows Cursor. Game modes are Casual or Expert, but you're not offered either until the 1st cutscene is over. Unfortunately there are sparkles in Expert for HOGs.

Graphics: Color & graphics were good, but not great cuz there wasn't the details in this game like I've seen from other Devs. Also, some of the cutscenes are brief & the characters look "mechanical."

Voices/Sounds/Music: Voices were ok, sounds were good (there was a lot of rain which made me a little sleepy when it was late at nite!), and really liked the music, but I was disappointed cuz this CE didn't let me download it.

Minis/HOGs: The minigames were just right for me - not terribly easy but not too difficult either. I would have preferred no sparkles while in Expert mode for the HOGs which were just junkpiles.

Game Overall: I didn't really use the SG more than once, but almost missed the map that was offered on the left side of the journal in the game. Didn't really need it tho. I definetly liked the game, really enjoyed the lengh which was somewhere between 6 or 7 hours, and the bonus game was quite lengthy - probably a good solid 1 1/2 hours anyway. The storyline was ok, but I didn't find myself caring too much about the main character. Extras were offered after the game & bonus game was done, but only included Wallpaper & Concept Art. I was disappointed yet again to see that the music couldn't be downloaded.

Recommendation: Good game for fishes looking for dark and a little spooky kind of game with minor witchcraft.

Out of 5 stars, I give this one

[Post New]by SmallFishGamer on Mar 29, 12 9:01 AM
I really enjoyed this game - graphics is perfect, completely the way I like it to be. Very interesting storyline and intriguing gameplay. Simply couldn't stop playing it! Well done

manysaying
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by manysaying on Apr 6, 12 12:18 PM
Hi fishes, as said before one of the best games I have purchased ever. I agree with 10 out of 10. I do hope that our favourite reviewers start to use the new format that big fish has created though. I do rely on Chertboo, Valdy, Marg..., Lovetomisslisa just to name a few. thanks BF

4194dave
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by 4194dave on Apr 14, 12 10:40 AM
This is a great game. Very intriguing. I would also like to take the time to thank Big Fish for the BOGO offer for Collector Editions. I was going to wait longer to purchase it until I saw the BOGO offer. How sweet it is!!!!

meanbusiness
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by meanbusiness on Apr 27, 12 5:33 PM
All the perc points have been listed. I would just like to say this has been a stunning game from the first page to the last page of the bonus game. Story a winner, graphics beautiful, game play really fun and the length absolutely super. Worth every penny of the CE price.........

sandhan
Clownfish
Clownfish
919 Posts

[Post New]by sandhan on Apr 28, 12 3:53 PM
I totally agree with Meanbusiness! I am currently overwhelmed with unplayed games because of the fabulous sales BFG has had lately. I decided to play this now because I just bought the second one, and wanted to play this first. I just this minute finished it, and have to say that I can't think of any game I've enjoyed more thoroughly! The bonus game is independent from the main game, and very long. Absolutely worth the CE price.
Hooray! Now for the next one!
Edited for idiocy: Would you believe I never saw the map? Duh!

Edited on 04/28/2012 at 4:02:49 PM PST

banor
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by banor on May 8, 12 11:42 AM
I too bought this because I wanted to play the second one and I thought it was great. I wish though they would not put sparkles when there is nothing left to do in a spot I find it annoying to look back at an area which I thought I was finished with but is still sparkling. Good time playing this one on to the next

Tomsde
Guppy
Guppy
132 Posts

[Post New]by Tomsde on May 25, 12 7:15 PM
I didn't know what to expect when I bought this game, but I ended up liking it very much. The artwork, music, voice overs, and stories are excellent. the studio has really come through with some high quality titles lately. This game has scenarios which may be disturbing to some, I definitely would not reccomend it for pre-teens at all. That having been said there is no gore to speak or blatant violence. The story is refreshing, the characters interesting and I'm very much looking forward to the sequel. I hope they make this into a series--I thought the story in this one would make an excellent movie. I like creepy games, without graphic violence or blood, and this game really fits the bill.

The bonus chapter is quite long and really a full game unto itself with a lot of different locations and a very compelling storyline. I feel that this extra game makes the CE well worth the purchase price. The extras were a little dissapointing, no musical score or bonus games to play or videos like in other CE editions. This is a rather long game and well worth the money. It took me over a week to play the entire thing.

If the occult bothers you, don't buy this title, but if you like creepy and occult ghost stories this is well worth your while. I can't wait to play the sequel.

Edited on 05/29/2012 at 7:37:48 PM PST

Go to: