vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

Re:Reviews for Brink of Consciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome Collector's Edition

[Post New]by vicalana on Feb 5, 12 3:18 PM
This game is absolutely brilliant! Kudos to the developers. Puzzles are challenging; the game doesn't take itself too seriously - loads of fun.

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Feb 10, 12 11:51 AM
This was one of the best in the bunch! It was really creepy in some places, but beyond that, the graphics were amazing, the voice-overs perfect, and the story was interesting and suspenseful. The puzzles were a mixture of very difficult to relatively easy. It was a good long game, as well. I think the only complaint I would have is the map situation. It sometimes gets tiring when a map is many levels and so spread out that you have to back-track from one end to the other just to complete a task. Other than that, I would highly recommend this game and give it a 10 out of 10.

tomtroxel
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by tomtroxel on Feb 13, 12 6:32 PM
Just finished the SE and This game ranks right up there with Sibera 1 and 2. Its probably oner of the few that I woish I had bought in th CE

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Mar 9, 12 3:21 PM
This would have to be one of the best games of the year. Excellent graphics, lots to do, good storyline, interactive hidden object scenes, superb voiceovers, convincing evil character. I don't think I've played a game that had so many different locations, with each drawn with such beauty. More games like this please!

bluecat434
Clownfish
Clownfish
858 Posts

[Post New]by bluecat434 on Mar 17, 12 6:35 PM
pluses:

1) beautiful graphics
2) interesting and varied mini-games. much attention went into the creation of these, and it shows.
3) nicely paced: no one element of the game takes over and becomes tedious. for the most part, it's a pleasure.
4) nice length.
5) clear h0 scenes. a good challenge without undue frustration.

minuses:

1) the continual voice overs by the main character are tedious. although easily skipped, they're so numerous that they feel a little invasive after a while. i just think they disrupt the flow of the game.

2) i know hog stories demand that you suspend disbelief. still: oscar wilde was a living breathing human being at one point, and although something of an aesthete, i don't think he deserves to be portrayed as an out-of-control serial killer.

it's true, i pay as little attention to hog stories as the game will allow: i'm usually more interested in atmosphere, since the plots tend to be similar and usually strike me as more than slightly disconnected. but i couldn't just ignore this one. for one thing, it demanded attention every few minutes or so through the overuse of voice-overs. for another, it used a historical figure as a villain. i think i'd rather go back to having them as background filler.

jillaroogirl
Minnow
Minnow
299 Posts

[Post New]by jillaroogirl on Apr 19, 12 3:45 AM
This game was superb. Absolutely brilliant. Fantastic storyline, beautiful graphics, excellent voiceovers, interesting mini games, lots of things to do, lots of different locations. The bonus game was a lot longer than I expected and had a twist. Should win the game of the year.

[Post New]by saltygirl72 on Apr 28, 12 8:22 PM
I have become very picky on what games I choose to buy/play lately.

I was very happy with this purchase and felt it was a very above average game, with an excellent voice actor in the lead character and lots of places to visit. I just read that the dev has a couple more games soon to released and am also looking forward to trying them.

blujeens
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by blujeens on May 11, 12 5:48 PM
OK, here's my review of Brink of Consciousness: Dorian Gray Syndrome CE:

Options: Offered were SFX, Music, Environment, Voice, Full Screen, Widescreen, Custom Cursor, & Film Grain. Game modes were Regular or Expert. After the main game were Bonus Game, More Games, Soundtracks, Concept Art, Wallpaper, "Unknown Oscar," & Interview with Developers.

Graphics:The graphics were already colored nicely for the game genre, but Film Grain was offered as an option, something new for me, that actually added to the mysterious and sinister look & feel to the game. I loved it!

Voice/Sound/Music: For the first time in a long time, I think this game came thru well for all three: Voice of the villian was very good, sounds/effects were not forgotten between the graphics & voices, and the music was also spot-on.

Minis/HOGs: The mini-games ranged from everywhere between easy and difficult for me, and several of them were just different enough from the norm to make them interesting. The HOGs were few & far between which was fine for me cuz I don't care for games that throw another HOG at you every 2 minutes! Again, there were sparkles for the HOGs, but frankly I'm getting so used to them, they almost don't bother me anymore... almost!

Game Overall: This pysch thriller from Magic Indie Softworks was a really good game to play. I loved running into one new scene/room after another plus the constant taunting from the Villian Oscar. As part of the extras, it was clear from the interview wiht the Devs as well as the "Unknown Oscar" segment that the Devs genuinely tried pumping life into their villian. I love games where the Developers are serious about their characters & story lines. If they don't take their own works of art seriously, how can the gameplayer?

Recommendation: Definitely not a game for young fishies or other gamers that can't take suspense or murder scenes, but I hightly recommend it for thrill-seekers!

Out of 5 stars, I give this one

kaitlinn
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by kaitlinn on May 13, 12 7:15 PM
I loved this game; challenging, but the puzzles were not frustratingly hard. If you play without using the map, it's a good one for sharpening your memory skills. Great graphics and you could control the diaglogue if you want, but I didn't since it added to the full effect.

BFG, please tell the developers that I really enjoyed the post game interviews! And thank them for explaining the coughing...(And to the translators: you use a wrench to unbolt something, not to unscrew it!)

I will look for more games from these guys.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 13, 12 8:13 AM
this game is a buy for us. -------doug & lisa

Snaffled
Marlin
Marlin
9,392 Posts

[Post New]by Snaffled on Jul 12, 12 5:55 PM
qpr1 wrote:i am now on the 5th chapter, map is useless as is the hint button, i find the scenes devoid of anything interesting and that f*&^%#g voiceover is really getting on my nerves. i cannot wait to finish this awful game!!!!

Right... the map is usless BUT so is the hint button in my opinion... I use it in the HO scenes if I'm impatient... it sort of "flashes" and is very easy to miss... bad design.

Snaffled
Marlin
Marlin
9,392 Posts

[Post New]by Snaffled on Jul 12, 12 6:01 PM
jillaroogirl wrote:This would have to be one of the best games of the year. Excellent graphics, lots to do, good storyline, interactive hidden object scenes, superb voiceovers, convincing evil character. I don't think I've played a game that had so many different locations, with each drawn with such beauty. More games like this please!

Yes that's true. I just think it fell short in respect to the lack of challenge... was a bit on the easy side, but the story-line did hold my interest.. . is one that could be enjoyed a second time.

[Post New]by jenifercher on Aug 1, 12 11:27 AM
This is probably one of my favorite games in a long time. It totally held my interest. I liked the dialogue and story plot. The HO scenes were challenging though not impossible and the mini games were not too difficult but did take a little thought. It was a great game overall.

Snaffled
Marlin
Marlin
9,392 Posts

[Post New]by Snaffled on Aug 14, 12 3:50 PM
This is a game that I'm forcing myself to finish. It's a rather bizzare storyline and not at all like the book, The Picture of Dorian Gray. I don't think it flows well and there are endless halls and offshoots to other areas that seem to stretch logic for practial layouts.
Even with a map, it's easy to lose track of where you are, and there is a lot of back and forth to this game...unfortunately the map could not be used to jump to a particular scene. The gameplay was somewhat tame and pretty much routine.

That being said, the graphic are well done, the music is suitable to the scenes, however it contains voice-overs which are a bit lenghty and in my opinion unnecessary and quite annoying and supposedily from the villian. Beside all the talking of the villain they inserted coughing in some scenes, I suppose to let you know that you were being watched... but it was aggrevating IMO.

The story line is not very interesting being about a crazed old man who makes art from humans he has abducted.

Hidden Object Scenes are too often drab and uninteresting spins on the junk pile theme. There are som that are interactive and over-all they are quite easy.

The puzzles are different and unique They are some-what challenging, but there was a fairly quick skip button you could use if you want to. Some are just plain tedious.

Not a game I'll save for replay... if I ever do finish it...

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jan 11, 13 11:25 AM
this is a well & crafty game. GREAT for HOS lovers, it has a good plot and puzzles. we recommend this one, 5 stars.----------doug & lisa

Rhysdux
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,219 Posts

[Post New]by Rhysdux on Mar 2, 13 9:15 AM
Snaffled wrote:This is a game that I'm forcing myself to finish. It's a rather bizzare storyline and not at all like the book, The Picture of Dorian Gray. I don't think it flows well and there are endless halls and offshoots to other areas that seem to stretch logic for practial layouts.
Even with a map, it's easy to lose track of where you are, and there is a lot of back and forth to this game...unfortunately the map could not be used to jump to a particular scene. The gameplay was somewhat tame and pretty much routine.

That being said, the graphic are well done, the music is suitable to the scenes, however it contains voice-overs which are a bit lenghty and in my opinion unnecessary and quite annoying and supposedily from the villian. Beside all the talking of the villain they inserted coughing in some scenes, I suppose to let you know that you were being watched... but it was aggrevating IMO.

The story line is not very interesting being about a crazed old man who makes art from humans he has abducted.

Hidden Object Scenes are too often drab and uninteresting spins on the junk pile theme. There are som that are interactive and over-all they are quite easy.

The puzzles are different and unique They are some-what challenging, but there was a fairly quick skip button you could use if you want to. Some are just plain tedious.

Not a game I'll save for replay... if I ever do finish it...

I agree with you on every score. I'd like to add that the ending requires the player character, Sam, to rush toward an opening--even though the killer calling himself Oscar has already tried to trick Sam into doing this several times before and has had things like giant saws pop out of the ceiling and floor. There's no logic behind the ending move; it's as if the designers couldn't figure out else to get Sam to Oscar's lair, and thought, "Hey, I know! Let's have him do something suicidally stupid so that Oscar can catch him! Why have him discover the lair or find clues to it and sneak into it when he can simply fall in?"

[Post New]by pats22 on Apr 21, 13 8:40 PM
Can anyone tell me what to do with the statues that spout water?

TedsMum10
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by TedsMum10 on Dec 17, 13 1:24 AM
The main game was entertaining enough though some of the puzzles were too tedious for me to want to continue with them. The ending was tense and quite brilliant.

What completely spoiled the whole thing was the Bonus Game with its sick ending. I honestly wish I hadn't bothered playing it.

Go to: