theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

Re:Reviews for Otherworld: Spring of Shadows Collector's Edition

[Post New]by theoldbag on Feb 5, 12 11:23 PM
What a beautiful game! I am enjoying it so much and knew I would after reading reviews by valdy and cbtx. The forum guides me all the way with these games and I am never disappointed. There are things new to even me with this great game. Thank you devs and bf again!

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Feb 6, 12 10:46 AM
As others have said, this is a really beautiful game. The music was so nice I did not turn it off as I usually do. The music is unobtrusive and relaxing.

Playing hardcore mode is comparable to playing an adventure game, which I like. Thank goodness the strategy guide was there when i got into some tough spots. It's much better to have the guide right there instead of having to look for a walkthrough on the web. As I took my time and sometimes left the game running when I walked away the total time it took me to play the game and bonus was 12:50. The game must be long because one of the achievements is to play the game within a certain amount of time. I suppose that might be easy to do in casual or even advanced mode as you can get hints and skip minigames in those modes.

Some people complained that the epilogue was more of a prologue than an epilogue. It is an epilogue because Fiona is explaining to the player how the events occurred prior to the game's beginning after the player rescues her. I think the story said months or years later.

At any rate the game has everything I like to see in a good game. The graphics are gorgeous, the music is good, the minigames are doable (but not always easy) without any or little help, the adventure is nice (not dark and scary) and the play time is long even if you don't leave the game running and walk away.

I forgot to mention that the game has achievements to strive for and one of them is to find all the hidden objects you aren't even aware you're supposed to find.

Another good thing about the game is that it seems that there may be a sequel to this one in the future. I hope so.

Truly a fun adventure game.

I rate this game out of 5. I'm glad I splurged and bought the collector's edition. It is definitely worth the money to me.

timothya
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by timothya on Feb 6, 12 7:56 PM
Halfway through and I'm deliberately slowing down to savor this exquisite offering. Gorgeous eye candy, beautiful music, great puzzles, a plot that holds together...if the developers can keep this up I'll have to say the bar has been raised on the genre. So far very impressive indeed.

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Feb 7, 12 4:56 PM
This game is AMAZING!!!!

ysgol
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by ysgol on Feb 8, 12 1:36 PM
thanks devs. love this game.

timothya
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

[Post New]by timothya on Feb 8, 12 7:02 PM
Played it through - right at 7 hours of pure delight. There simply isn't anything about this game I didn't like except that it ended. Five fins of five. Wow.

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Feb 9, 12 11:54 AM
I bought for the reasons already enumerated. .

[Post New]by mardiv on Feb 15, 12 7:57 AM
Hi, I have been playing playing Big Fish games for several years and this is my very first post. I read these reviews before I buy any game and they are very helpful.
Thank you all for your reviews. I loved this game. For me it was definatly worth the buy!

banor
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by banor on Feb 16, 12 12:17 PM
I really loved the look of this game - music, voice and adventure were outstanding - i could not move the vines in the epilog (or I was doing something wrong) Also never really understood what I was suppose to be doing in the "matching" floatie thing at the end - just clicked away till they all disappeared. I must have missed something. Anyway this is definitely top on my list of games I have played recently I might even play again to see if I can find all those fairies.

LinLyn
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by LinLyn on Feb 16, 12 3:35 PM
It has been a long time since I have enjoyed a game as much as I do this one. Just having it begin without a car crash was enough to lift my spirits. <smile>

The art work is lovely. The HOGS are thankfully few. You have to actually use your mind a little bit to work through the storyline. Do wish the guide had been a bit more explicit in a couple of places though because, thankful as I am to need to use my mind, it appears that my mind is a bit rusty.

All in all it was, for me, a long and very enjoyable experience. Thank you BF and developers.

griffgirl
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by griffgirl on Feb 18, 12 11:24 PM
I just finished playing and normally don't write reviews but have to say this one was a bit hocky for me. It seemed to go on and on. Wished it had ended much sooner. Not impressed with the bonus portion either. Not impressed with the narrators accent. And yes, I played the demo first but sometimes I can't really tell what the game will be like in that time span. Truly wish I hadn't bought this one.

[Post New]by j011141 on Feb 20, 12 2:55 PM
how long does it take to start???

tookat
Flounder
Flounder
2,099 Posts

[Post New]by tookat on Mar 2, 12 3:47 AM
On my "Best Game I ever played" list!

I have rarely been so entranced as I was by this game. The art work, music were really phenomenal and I found the game play both challenging and innovative. What was best of all, is that I felt transported to this world and cannot wait for more games in this franchise.

The Bonus Features finally came up to my standards of what ought to be present in a Collector's Edition. The Bonus Play (Epilogue) had just as much time and attention paid to it as with the main game. Therewas more Concept art than usual as well as more wall papers. Better yet, the game had wonderful animated Cut Scenes and those were included in the Bonus Package.

The art work was a cut above what is in many games, and strove to be different from all other games. The storyline was believable and for once made me actually care about the characters!

The Strategy Guide, which I do not usually use, but want becaue it shows that the developers want gamers to enjoy the experience rather than getting stuck and having to search in hope there is a walkthrough or that someone will find their forum post and answer!

Bravo!
I give this ten paws up!

Kyasarin
Guppy
Guppy
166 Posts

[Post New]by Kyasarin on Mar 16, 12 10:01 PM
I really enjoyed the game. The artwork was all beautiful and the story was engaging. The gameplay was, for the most part, logical and easy to understand. I also enjoyed working for the Achievements; they always add just a little to the game, IMHO. It was very engaging and just the right level of difficulty, as far as I was concerned.

The one thing that bothered me was that the game seemed way too eager to tell you that you were Doing It Wrong. The text would say, "What am I doing? That's not right," and the like while I was doing an action that was correct. The worst was in the Epilogue, with the puzzle box. While I was turning the animals so they were in the correct position, the game was constantly telling me I needed to be doing something else--right up until I had everything fixed right and beat the mini-game!

The only other thing that I'd criticize is that the developers relied way too heavily on del Toro's "Pan's Labyrinth" for the look of the game and characters. It was obvious that was where a number of elements came from, especially the Shade, and that gets obnoxious.

Overall, great game, with just a couple of gripes. I'll be looking forward to sequels.

[Post New]by rubina_gomes on Mar 27, 12 11:18 PM
this game is awesome!!!!!! it has so many mini games and each one of them is exciting.
loved the game. i hope there will be a sequel to this game.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 30, 12 7:53 AM
we did not find this game to be that much fun, so we will wait to see if a second game will come out.-------doug & lisa

[Post New]by JustBJustMe on Oct 20, 12 12:02 AM
I really would like to try out this game!! But i cant because my ipad 1 doesnt have a camera on the front.. It doesnt have a camera at all!! Do you even use the camera in this game?? Had the same problem when i tried to download the game Drawn 3.. Hope you can do something about it!!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Feb 20, 13 4:10 PM
we think this was a GREAT game, as long as you have the update.....................................doug & lisa

shripch
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,952 Posts

[Post New]by shripch on Mar 3, 13 10:14 PM
Well, I am going against the flow here. I'm not enchanted with this game. I have to be right on something to get it to move, and that gets tiresome. Also, I'm just not into fairies and such anymore. The graphics are beautiful to look at, bur right now I'm quitting the game. Maybe I'll come back later and enjoy it, but not now. Sorry I bought it.

Sprattie
Herring
Herring
315 Posts

[Post New]by Sprattie on Apr 18, 13 7:35 PM
I purchased and completed this game on the strength of the demo and because I enjoyed the Summer CE, but this one was a bit of a disappointment. Lovely music and some fun achievements, but in the end it was a little kid's game with fairies and goblins, toys and dolls and colouring, and a lot of very, very easy matching puzzles. The only exception to the "easy" part was the horrendous tracing puzzles which are nearly impossible on a MacBook. A few times I was allowed to use the one-finger-on-keypad trick while I traced with my other hand, but it was a nasty slog getting through the glasscutting puzzle. I almost gave up then from exhaustion and frustration.

Mac-adapted BF games are so varied in their Mac-friendliness that I never know what I'm going to get in a game.

Go to: