Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

Re:Comments and Reviews for Haunted Manor: Lord of Mirrors Collector's Edition

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jun 16, 12 5:49 AM
this game is a buy for us. -doug & lisa

[Post New]by analogmama on Aug 19, 12 10:20 PM
I just got this for Mac, and decided to get it based on the Haunted Manor: Queen of the Dead/damned (I don't remember now).

And was simply confused. It had very little if at all to do with the previous game, save that now both sisters are servants to this Lord of Mirrors.

On its own, the story line was fine (but really, seriously? a PIZZA?), it just wasn't much in the manner of a sequel.

The sudden flurry of ihogs at the end? Meh.

Stan's graphic could use some work, too, he looks more like a tired thirty year old than a bright teen.

As it's own story, it's a lovely game, the music is a bit overpowering here and there; as a sequel? It's not, really.

vibtek
Clownfish
Clownfish
539 Posts

[Post New]by vibtek on Jan 13, 13 5:00 PM
this game creeps me out a little. I was hoping that it be the second part. When he left at the end his eyes glowed when he turned around. I still like it though.

[Post New]by NeoKnot on May 6, 13 11:37 AM
Looks like it would be a great game, but I played the demo in 15 minutes. If you are advertising 60 minutes free, it should be 60 minutes.

[Post New]by alyberry476 on Dec 29, 13 6:24 PM
I only recently purchased this game. I made it through with relatively little problems and enjoyed it. However, when I got to the Bonus level, I ran into a problem. In the underground area, every time I click on the Gargoyle's head, the game shuts down and I have to start all over again unless I quit out of the game, saving where I'm at then going back in. But I can't do anything beyond this. Any idea on why the game is quitting each time I click on the Gargoyle?

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jun 8, 14 12:11 AM
Part One of Three
HAUNTED MANOR: PAINTED BEAUTIES COLLECTOR’S EDITION
Nothing Haunted. Nothing Scary. Enormously Disappointing.

The over all rating is actually about 2.25. This is a poor game. If the developers were treating this like a baby they should be arrested for child abuse.
I played the entire main game in about 6 hours total. I skipped the bonus so I can't comment on it.

FUN FACTOR: If you consider going back and forth in excess of 100 times throughout a game, with no particular rhyme or reason, a good time, you might think this is fun. I doubt you will. If you want to skip the walking around and use the "go to" map to get from one place to another, good luck. The map is useless. The location you are in is circled. All other locations are shown with a miniscule scene provided for you to view. From this you are to choose where you want to go. Sadly, a magnifying glass doesn't come with, for surely it's required unless you have the vision of Superman.

VISUAL/SOUND QUALITY: Not particularly well done, honestly. If animation is part of visual quality then it's worse than bad. When there's an action taking place...something simple, like pouring liquid from one vial to another, I like to see the progress being made...i.e., I think good animation is entertaining and I like to see the liquid being poured, the receptacle filling up...all of this is part of animation. You won't find it here. Even after the action is supposed to be complete you see the original scene first and only after a delay do you see the finished scene. The end product would embarrass a professional animator.
To be continued…

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jun 8, 14 12:12 AM
Continuation: Part two of three:

LEVEL OF CHALLENGE: Again with all the walking back and forth, the challenge in this game is finishing it.

a. Mini-games/Puzzles: ridiculously easy. What was puzzling is how they could be considered challenging at all. You couldn't get it wrong if you tried. Go through all the possible solutions and you'll absolutely solve whatever the task is. Not one is so confusing as to require cycling through all the possible solutions. Certainly nothing resembling imagination is required. You will NOT break a sweat solving the puzzles. I'm going to guess that there are about 18-25 puzzles but I'm not certain of the number.
OK. I have exaggerated a teeny weeny bit: there are two puzzles that are pretty good. One is a standard-issue drawing requiring you to move tiles into the correct position with only one free space for flexibility. A second puzzle is quite fun and it requires you to find 4 paths emanating from the center of a grid to end points North, South , East and West. Don't confuse this with challenging. It's busy work, but it's still fun.

b. HOS: Nothing more than ordinary. There are 23 of them. They are very straightforward with a few requiring an extra smidgeon of work.
Storyline: Somehow, magically, just drawing a portrait allows a painter, pining for his love, to capture the soul of his subject which he trades with Lady Death for the promise of the return of his aforementioned "love." If wishing made it true...I can think of some perfect subjects for these paintings.
To Be Continued….

sfr8rfan
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by sfr8rfan on Jun 8, 14 12:14 AM
Continuation: Part three of three:
COLLECTOR’S EDITION BONUS MATERIAL:

a. Collectibles: there are 33 rosary beads to collect. Finding them presents no challenge whatsoever. Although there is some idea that finding all the beads will protect you (it's a first person game and you're the female protagonist who has, foolishly, allowed yourself to be painted) nothing about how that happens is ever fleshed out. Once again, I'm sure you can think of a few people you'd hope really struggle to find the rosary beads. In all seriousness, though, this isn't hard. I do think sometimes I missed the beads. I'm not completely convinced that they weren't slipped in after the first go 'round (but I'm afraid this sounds too much like a conspiracy theory and that's giving the game way too much credit for imagination).

b. Morphing Items: Well, morph really means changing from one thing to another. That isn't what happens. An item disappears for an extraordinarily long time and then reappears. It would be a little more challenging if images of two items went back and forth in your view. Then you'd have to watch a couple times to make sure that it's a morph and not just your imagination. In this game you just have to watch for a LONG time waiting for something to disappear and then reappear.

c. I am guessing that "achievements" are received for the CE version only (Sorry, I haven't reviewed the contents of the SE). The achievements are kind of a joke: One is for finishing all the mini-games. As mentioned earlier these games are far too easy. Other achievements include completing an HOS in less than one minute, in less than 30 seconds, finding three items in less than a second, 5 in less than 3...a little silly.
The Rosary Beads and the Disappearing Items are what makes this a CE (along with bonus material). Honestly, I couldn't play the bonus material. I couldn't wait for the regular story to end so i was certainly NOT going to scramble to get to the bonus material. The real bonus is being able to skip it.

This game is gothic in the truest sense of the word: upon the coming of the Renaissance, the Gothic period that preceded it was seen as a time of ignorance. Indeed. This game is Gothic and a horrendous waste of time and money. If you must buy it, I strongly urge buying the standard edition. Even if you like morphing items, collectibles and achievements, what is offered here isn’t particularly good and I just can’t justify spending $20 on this game in any format.

lindiana
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by lindiana on Jun 15, 14 4:35 AM
Fun AND Easy which is how I like my HOGs. I'm too lazy for the difficult ones. I get bored quickly because I am frustrated. This game was not frustrating in the least except maybe the 10 in a row HOGs at the end. Otherwise, highly enjoyable.

Go to: