bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Jack of All Tribes

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Jan 26, 11 2:10 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Jack of All Tribes? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!**

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Jack of All Tribes

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Jan 26, 11 2:25 AM
Wow what a fun game it's so bright and colorful and so full of life. Everything about this game is spot on so far and I haven't played much but enough to know I had to have it so I bought it already. You build houses, gather food, feed the little people, collect materials and do favors for other tribe people. The graphics are simply awesome ! Jack is a modern day man caught in a Flintstones world and that is the best way I can describe it. So far I've only built a few huts grown a pumpkin garden chopped wood and collected money the last thing I did before I bought the game was build a cocktail bar because there is going to be a party and that was enough for me to know I had to get this one. It's a keeper for sure. You have daily goals just like any other tm game but the timer is rather generous and there is lots to do so it's a busy little game but it's just so fun and the little people talk but the only thing I've been able to hear them say is okay but they run around and get whatever you need done and they move fast. Wood, money, and a treasure chest will pop up randomly so you are always pretty covered with materials but if you need you can chop down trees. This is one fun and beautiful little game I'm loving it ! Give it a try it is most definitely worth the download you want be sorry it's simply awesome ! Thanks Big Fish for another great game !

Edited on 01/26/2011 at 2:56:55 AM PST

bansama
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by bansama on Jan 26, 11 2:27 AM
Posted this in another thread, but just in case people don't read that one:

This is one of the more enjoyable TM games out there. For those wondering about the length, there are 39 levels and it'll probably take around 4 or 5 hours to complete. There's timer for getting gold but you can continue playing once that time runs out, so you shouldn't feel too rushed either.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jan 26, 11 3:04 AM
it seems like it wasn't too long ago that i beta'd this one and i remember thinking "okay, when this comes out - i have to get it"

it is so fun and the little people are awesome... when they get hungry, little forks hover over their heads... and when they need a drink, it's a little ... of course, that's after you build the bar - and watch out because it can catch on fire!

one note i made was that, like in the early stages of the build-a-lot games, the play is very step by step and you can only do what the little 'tutorial' fella tells you to do... but it's also very MKFTP - harvest supplies, build up your 'camp,' reclaim the territory from whatever ails it...

as you proceed in the game, you're awarded accomplishments - "adventurer" and "leader" was as far i got in the time that i played... and the bonuses you pick up... unlike in MKFTP, you don't get to use the bonus once a certain amount of time passes and then it disappears after ten seconds or so... you get what i call "everyone" bonuses... if you find the hatchet, then anyone who goes cutting down trees works faster and better... i thought this was quite the unconventional thing and definitely something worth noting...

then there's the exploring - each site you visit is a hidden object scene where you search for items from a list just like you would in a traditional HOG, and the takeaway item is the "bonus" [ie: that hatchet]...

that's pretty much all i have from my previous notes, but from the great time i had in playing through the beta - i'm getting this one for sure!

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Jan 26, 11 3:40 AM
I am downloading now so will have to get back to you all, from the comments above though I think this may be a keeper! I am still enamored of Royal Envoy, and that is the first TM game that I have enjoyed in sooooo long I may have to switch if there is a way to play AFTER the timer runs out! LOL

OK so here's MY take on it....

Definitely a fun game, but I gotta agree with abigail, that it is annoying that it get's dark when the timer runs out. Also, that the game "interrupts" your play with inane conversation, which I also feel makes it harder to achieve your goals during the allotted time. Once you had the hang of the game I saw no point in "Rainbow" interrupting you to tell you what to do when you were obviously doing it already. There was alot to keep track of too, as the timer is on one side of the screen, the goals are on another and the "storage" area showing how much food, gold and wood you have is on another. I loved the idea of the and the food, & bubble bath was quite different. I am not quite sure if it will be a buy for me or not yet am on the fence. I did play until my time ran out on the trial period, which is a good sign, but then again I was annoyed with parts of it too. When I played Royal Envoy, to get through the first level took me almost 18 hours then you get the Expert level and another 18 - that's ALOT of game play vs the 4 or so most people seem to think this one will last. And I am not sure of the replay value as I think you will have to go thru the ANNOYING tutorial again..... Hmmmmmm have to think about it some more - Happy gaming to all the fishies who found this to be good. Personally a 3 out of 6 for me, maybe as a DD it would be good.

Edited on 01/26/2011 at 4:50:44 AM PST

[Post New]by 16abigail96 on Jan 26, 11 4:36 AM
I played the 1 hour trial and got up to level 9, so I would guess the game will take me about 4 hours, unless the levels get longer as you progress. On another review site someone said about 3 - 4 hours gameplay.

When the timer runs out you can still carry on until you finish the level. My only gripe is that when the timer is running out the game turns to dusk and once the timer has run out it goes dark. You are still able to see the game but I found this a little offputting and some players who are slower will have to get used to this at the end of evey level.

This will be a definite buy for me as I really enjoyed the gameplay. There are even some hidden object scenes which fit perfectly in the game. It also has the replayability factor as well.

I would rate this 4 out of 5. Nothing beats Royal Envoy which is one of the best games you can play in this genre.

Edited to give my feedback after finishing the game.

The game probably took me about 4 hours - a little short compared to others. I had a couple of access violations, one was on level 24, but all was ok when I went back into the game. I would have prefered it if the game wouldn't go dark when I didn't complete a level in time.

My final rating is 3.5 out of 5.

Edited on 01/26/2011 at 11:24:11 AM PST

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Jan 26, 11 4:41 AM
So there is no 'untimed' option in this game? Pity if there isn't.

bansama
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by bansama on Jan 26, 11 4:47 AM
soblessed57 wrote: So there is no 'untimed' option in this game? Pity if there isn't.

The timer is simply to get the "gold" award for the level. Once that timer ends, you can still continue playing the level. You will not be forced to restart. Thus the timer is simply to provide a challenge to those who want one and to provide replayability for those trying to earn the "gold" award.

If you don't care for that, no worries just take your time to finish the level. As such, I think an "untimed" option would simply be redundant.

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Jan 26, 11 4:53 AM
bansama wrote:
soblessed57 wrote: So there is no 'untimed' option in this game? Pity if there isn't.

The timer is simply to get the "gold" award for the level. Once that timer ends, you can still continue playing the level. You will not be forced to restart. Thus the timer is simply to provide a challenge to those who want one and to provide replayability for those trying to earn the "gold" award.

If you don't care for that, no worries just take your time to finish the level. As such, I think an "untimed" option would simply be redundant.

YES BUT the screen goes dark when the timer runs out. While you can still see it is a bit off putting.

soblessed57
Manatee
Manatee
3,780 Posts

[Post New]by soblessed57 on Jan 26, 11 4:55 AM
No thanks,who wants to finish playing 'in the dark'! Thanks for the warning Leanda1.

Edited on 01/26/2011 at 4:57:23 AM PST

bansama
Herring
Herring
338 Posts

[Post New]by bansama on Jan 26, 11 5:27 AM
Leanda1 wrote:
YES BUT the screen goes dark when the timer runs out. While you can still see it is a bit off putting.

That's because it's night time. And if you have your monitor brightness at a reasonable level, it's still plenty visible.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jan 26, 11 5:54 AM
bansama wrote:
Leanda1 wrote:

That's because it's night time. And if you have your monitor brightness at a reasonable level, it's still plenty visible.

and its also very fun
its more a building sim then a tm, if you even remotely liked roadsa of rome, royal envoy or mkftp, try the demo at least.its well worth the price here, i got to play the whole game on beta and the only reason i dont allready own is the dev price was a bit steep...but at bfg price it is well worth the money.

Edited on 01/26/2011 at 6:02:56 AM PST

DeesjeDee
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by DeesjeDee on Jan 26, 11 7:33 AM
I got a chance to beta test this game and I'd say I give it a 7 to 8 out of 10. The game is colourful and bright, the graphics are cute and the music is very well done.

Easy to play and understand, your goals are listed in the lower right corner and checked off as you finish them. There is no strategic aspect as to where you are going to put your buildings, because you can only build something in their designated slot. That may be a pro for some and a con for others. I personally would've liked it better if I could lay out my own town plan.

As for gameplay, there are a few basic things you need to provide for your villagers and to be able to build: food, wood and money. Sometimes of these resources appear at random so you only have to click to collect them. Other times you can build something to provide these resources. Money is earned in a few different ways; you get a daily income from the number of villagers you have, you get money for upgrading houses, and the villagers leave a pile of cash if you grant a wish (eg for taking a bath or getting a drink at the bar).

Apart from building your village and providing for your people, a level usually has a specific goal. For example collecting the money to build a specialty building. Sometimes you have to explore an area, which means you get to play a little hidden-object game. It is nicely weaved into the game and not interruptive.

All in all a very enjoyable game, if you like Royal Envoy this is definitely worth a try. For me personally I thought the difficulty level was a bit too easy for my liking, but on the other hand that makes it quite a relaxed game to play

vonniefaye
Herring
Herring
325 Posts

[Post New]by vonniefaye on Jan 26, 11 8:37 AM
It is a cute and adorable game. Wish I had some of those little guys around here, I have a lot of yard work that needs taken care of. Anyway, however cute it is, I think I will wait until the end of the month and see if I need a game or two to complete my punch card. Then, maybe I will buy.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jan 26, 11 10:25 AM
Thanks Bansama as I have enjoyed playing this game so far I am going to be guided by you that I will still be able to see enough to play it when day turns to night, off to buy .

Cherb

ETA ... Finished the game with no problems whatsoever and, even when it was night, it was clear as day .

My only complaint about this game was trying to make it last longer as I love this type of game ... perhaps we could have longer levels next time please ... nudge, nudge, .

Edited on 02/01/2011 at 11:10:35 AM PST

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Jan 26, 11 10:33 AM
I reached like level 9 when trial ended, only 1 HOG scene encountered. Little too simplistic for my tastes, but would be cute game for those in the mood. I wish it allowed you to search out and plot your own buildings instead of the foundations already in place.

Was hoping it had more freehand tasks. I'm tired of HOGS and IHOGs (never thought I'd say that) and can't find any game to hold my interest.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jan 26, 11 11:42 AM
Nic and cute but far too repetitive.... I like the little "OK" though !

laeddie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by laeddie on Jan 26, 11 12:15 PM
Can someone enlighten me on how to use the hidden objects obtained such as the hatchet? I have four or five from the airplane but can't figure out how to activate/use them. Help please.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jan 26, 11 12:25 PM
those are auto bonus,s laddie

laeddie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by laeddie on Jan 26, 11 12:32 PM
I'm sorry but I still don't understand unless you are telling me I don't have to do anything to reap the benefits. If that is the case please someone let me know. Thanks bella81762 for the quick reply;sorry this old man is so incompetent (dumb?). I"ll wake up someday. LOL

Go to: