Your Comments and Reviews for Charm Tale 2: Mermaid Lagoon

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Jan 28, 11 12:30 AM
I'm getting into Match 3 games, this looks fun. Anyone played the 1st? I'll wait for reviews.. no timers I hope. It looks a little kidish..but I'm hoping thats not the case and it has decent gameplay and a is bit challanging with a good story.

Edited on 01/28/2011 at 1:06:33 AM PST

bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Charm Tale 2: Mermaid Lagoon

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Jan 28, 11 1:06 AM
Hi fishies,

I've gone ahead and stickied this thread for your comments and reviews, thanks for swimming by and creating it!

We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Jan 28, 11 1:58 AM
Choice of timed or untimed mode
Choice of full screen or windowed
Hex tiles on variously shaped boards
Storyline is distracting and annoying IMO

So far the M3 game play is only chain type. One twist is that if you make a long chain a random large gem appears on the board. This large gem doesn't drop when you make a chain under it. If you make a chain with a large gem it turns into a bunch of smaller ones. I'm undecided on whether the best strategy is to go for the long chains or to stick to small ones - having multiple large gems on the board in different colors makes it hard to find chains.

There are also fairly frequent simple Hidden Object levels. The ones that I've seen so far are all just looking for N of the same type of object in the scene, with the items being partially hidden.

I doubt I'll buy this one full price but I'm not uninstalling it yet.

ember89
Flounder
Flounder
2,103 Posts

[Post New]by ember89 on Jan 28, 11 2:07 AM
i don't particularly care for this one... don't like chain ALL the time, don't like "find fifteen cannonballs" and such... the dialogue is overpowering if you actually take the time to read... after the third board, i decided to skip everything...

the trade submarine was a cute way to integrate upgrades using the theme of the game, but every artifact seemed to be worth 5 coins - ??? and it did take a while to putter out of the way so you could continue...

i know my niece would not have the patience for it, either, so i'm calling this one...

Leemo
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by Leemo on Jan 28, 11 2:35 AM
Hogs VERY easy, objective of each level is a defined entity you meet at the beginning but has no relevance to the next entity you are referred to, the upgrades don't make sense to me in as much as the discription doesn't match what the upgrade actually does. I'll plod on and sere if I can make sense of it all

[Post New]by LapTopDancerr on Jan 28, 11 3:39 AM
This game has been around for awhile. I thought it was today's DD and was placed in the wrong spot on the home page! It's made by Puzzle Lab. This sequel is unrelated to the first from graphics to gameplay and shouldn't deter you from trying their more "grown up" games which have excellent graphics, music, etc. The first Charm Tale is a beautifully done inlay puzzle game; storyline is fairytale like. Another game they put out at approximately the same time, called Charm Tale Solitaire is set in medieval times and is done with playing cards. Different than the usual types of solitaire card games. Reminds me of an old TV game show called "Concentration". Fiber Twig 1 and 2 is a puzzle game attaching different pieces to keep the fiber twig growing into a long vine. Also, different than anything else "out there". All of their games are a "permanent fixture" on my computers with the exception of Mermaid Lagoon. Their games get installed first when I have to replace a computer. The games are relaxing and fun. Don't equate relaxing for being boring. Far from it, it's addicting once you start. My review is based on all their other games. ML is mediocre to say the least.... must be a mistake for it to appear as a new game here. LOL All the games except Solitaire are for sale on BFG.

Edit: for list showing which games are on BFG

Edited on 01/28/2011 at 4:21:26 AM PST

Leemo
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by Leemo on Jan 28, 11 4:57 AM
I am amazed that Fibre Twig 2 plays well on Win 7 64, 22 widescreen considering most games with these old stats don't. I like the game....thanks

Loralia
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Loralia on Jan 28, 11 5:35 AM
I had no idea how old this game was till I installed the trial. However, it's not bad although at this point seems a bit simplistic. I'm still undecided but will continue to play till I finsih the trial. I do like to have games on hand that are relaxing and easy (such as Fairie Solitaire, personal fav) so that I CAN relax in the evenings. I haven't tried the original Charm Tales but may see if it will play on Win 7.

Smallhaven
Rainbowfish
Rainbowfish
42,220 Posts

[Post New]by Smallhaven on Jan 28, 11 7:30 AM
Comment: This is a fun matching game for the entire family. I played Normal mode and had no trouble with time or achieving goals. I think kids would love this game whether in Relax or Normal.

I played the demo on my Win 7 64bit, 23" widescreen, and encountered no troubles whatsoever.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jan 28, 11 8:07 AM
I played half the demo and intend to use a punchcard coupon on it, since I have a few still that will expire in a couple days if I don't use them.

I wouldn't call this game fantastic, but the feel of the gameboards remind me of Pantheon somehow - which I've used as a go-to game at times just because it was relaxing to play. I found myself with the same feeling playing these boards. For me the feel of the gameboards is a big deal with match-3 games because that is what you spend the most time and focus on in these games, so I appreciate that.

The hidden object scenes were designed for someone with ADHD I think - they help you way too quickly in my opinion.

The game recognized me when I started to play the demo, and asked if I wanted to continue the game I'd started - so I have no idea how old this game is... I don't recall demo-ing it *recently*, but quite some time ago I think, on some site or other.

The English in the dialogues is less than perfect, but not as bad as some, by any means lol. The story graphics are nice though...

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Jan 28, 11 9:07 AM
The graphics are lovely. I believe they hand drawn and truly gorgeous. The gameplay is M3 with some HOG scenes. There are upgrades that can be purchased. There are two modes - relaxed and timed. The storyline is interesting. I like how the tale unfolds. However, there is WAY too much talking. The length isn't as long as I like, as I was over 3/4 done with the map in under an hour.

This game is a B.

ecblisa
Stingray
Stingray
5,078 Posts

[Post New]by ecblisa on Jan 28, 11 11:42 AM
The chaining type is my least favorite type of M3 because I have difficulty with using my hand that way (it's stiff and sometimes jerky). Still, I bought this game for the graphics, and IMHO the story line is rather fun. I do like the game mechanics with the unusual "large gem" variation, and I like the octopus (very handy for securing treasure chests) and lightning (you don't have to do anything to use it) upgrades. I have made it to the last undersea location without much trouble. The HOGs are pretty if not so difficult, just a nice change of pace, and the M3 gameplay requires serious thought only if you want to make lots of long, especially multicolor, matches.

A lovely, relaxing game that is not much of a challenge, and definitely not for adrenaline junkies.

Oh, and I should mention that although the mermaids are quite lovely, they are not done in the slutty way that often turns me off when I see computer game art.

[Post New]by quarlesqueen on Jan 28, 11 1:44 PM
I am so craving a good M3, using swap mode, swap is my favorite type, not really feeling the chain type, this game offers, but will at least try the trial.
I keep hoping the developers that made Puzzle Park, will come up with a sequel, to that M3, loved that one.
Thanks everyone for the reviews, at least I know what to expect, knowing it is just a chain M3, is a big help, maybe I'll be surprised and enjoy it.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jan 28, 11 4:49 PM
Since purchasing I've been playing this game some. I had mentioned above that the English is not quite perfect...

I got a chuckle out of the store offering an Econimic scroll and and Econimic book... the correct spelling is under the picture of the item in the same box, so no question what is meant... Anyway, I might consider buying an Econimic book, if the price is econimical - but if they offer me a spilling book, I think I'll pass lol... (- Is Econimics a collage class? )

Edited on 01/29/2011 at 4:50:44 PM PST

care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

[Post New]by care___916 on Jan 29, 11 2:17 AM
The graphic colors are nice and I wanted to like this game. Some of the objects are to small to see. Not a buy for me.

Happy game day

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Feb 22, 11 2:29 PM
My first thought about this game was that it would be too easy, maybe good for a child's game. However, after playing awhile (off and on) it began to grow on me. I like Match 3 games and have many in fact the Other Half would say too many games of all sorts! What can I say, I like games ! But, I found this one pleasant and relaxing and that made it a buy for me. The graphics are lovely and the music is for the most part soothing. I like the choice of timed or untimed. It won't be for everyone but my advice: try it and see, just don't give up on it too soon. It might grow on you too ! I have Fiber Twig 1(purchased many years ago on another site) and played Fiber Twig 2 and Charm Solitaire. While this game is no where near the caliber of those previous games it is still a good little game.
Happy Gaming Fishies

hellfern
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by hellfern on Mar 21, 11 8:45 AM
Absolutely, the most boring M3 game I have ever played. It's so easy that you rarely have to use the power-ups.

Edited on 03/21/2011 at 8:46:04 AM PST

ark161
Clownfish
Clownfish
611 Posts

[Post New]by ark161 on May 10, 11 5:37 PM
lorilla it works on windows

[Post New]by SmokeyMtnLinda on Sep 27, 11 9:34 PM
Hi! I'm not really very much into Match-3 games. But this one was in my " Games You'll Love " section, so I thought I'd give it a try. Wow, whatta GREAT GAME, sort of like a Match-3 Adventure!! Lovely graphics, story and soundtrack, lots of upgrades, variety mini-games, plus you get a choice of timed and relaxed untimed mode. Very pleasant surprise ... thanks Big Fish!!!

Gojira2006
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,183 Posts

[Post New]by Gojira2006 on Nov 11, 11 3:02 PM
This is a fun game, with cool power-ups & stuff - - & nice looking mermaids . . . !

Go to: