leacraw
Shark
Shark
14,048 Posts

Amelia as a Daily Deal

[Post New]by leacraw on Jan 29, 11 6:23 AM
Hi Fishies,
I had previously demoed this game and uninstalled after 17 minutes. I found it the graphics to 'pinkish'. I reinstalled this morning and tried again. After all, it is at a DD price.
Warning - I got to a mini game that has a skip button but that button flashes. This game is not for me even at DD price.

Happy gaming everyone

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

Re:Amelia as a Daily Deal

[Post New]by Lauralei on Jan 29, 11 6:50 AM
I really dislike **** games but thoroughly enjoyed this one. I didn't expect a game that did such a good job of outlining Earhart's biography, accomplishments and final disappearance...and in such an .entertaining way. Old photos and newsreels bring her to life, as do the quotations. She was a liberated woman long before the '60's movement.

The **** scenes were light and bright and part of Amelia Earhart's story: her childhood home, her dorm room, her Lockheed Electra, etc. Very cool. If I remember correctly, the story line ties the game together very well and it's of good length.

If you are fascinated by Amelia Earhart, or want to learn more about her, or have a young girl in your circle of family or friends, you will enjoy having this game. If you remember ''Amelia Earhart Luggage'' you'll enjoy immersing yourself in the era shortly before us.

I loved it.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jan 29, 11 7:30 AM
I played most of the demo and this is a "no buy" for me.

My very first impression was that the game seemed a bit dated, but I was quickly pulled in and was really enjoying it. Then maybe 20 minutes in (just guessing), the music got bad (not a tech issue, I just hated it...), and that was right after a mini game with that horrible blinking skip button ( - I guess that's what sticky notes are for ). Anyway, next thing I know I'm fooling with the sound volume cuz that horrible music kept on... And before the hour was quite up, I'd had enough of the annoying stuff. Too bad the qualities of the earlier enjoyable stuff didn't carry on thru the rest of the demo.

There are several games about Amelia Earhart, so don't buy this one thinking it's one of the other ones.

Edited on 01/29/2011 at 7:34:02 AM PST

Lauralei
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by Lauralei on Jan 29, 11 8:18 AM
Uh oh, I reviewed the Unsolved Mystery Club - Amelia Earhart which I really enjoyed and not this game which I've never played.. I had the uh oh feeling as soon as I read gimmegames review and reminder that there are more than one Earhart game. I was wondering why all the reviews were so negative. That should have given me a clue.

Apologies to everyone Thanks, gimmegames.

catnip5
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by catnip5 on Jan 29, 11 9:14 AM
I don't get what people don't like about this game. I loved it! Most of the music was sweet and lyrical (except for a few spots like the kitchen). Story line was interesting. You learned something about a great woman of history. Art work was great. And it wasn't creepy and dark, which most of the games have been lately.

Two thumbs up!

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on Jan 29, 11 9:20 AM
WOW I was surprised by the comments, but played it anyway. I enjoyed it and bought it.

I do agree the music in the beginning was strange. It's like they couldn't decide what type to play and kept changing it. By the time my hour was up, it was quite unobtrusive. The flashing skip button also disappeared so it must have been a beginning thing to call your attention to it. I liked the comments from the psychic and found the historical references interesting. I didn't feel she talked too much. And 9 hints was plenty for me. I only used 3 in the hour i played and they are refreshed quickly with mini games.

I felt the objects were hidden well enough to make it challenging but not overwhelming. I look forward to continuing on with the game and her story.

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Jan 29, 11 11:54 AM
Lauralei wrote:Uh oh, I reviewed the Unsolved Mystery Club - Amelia Earhart which I really enjoyed and not this game which I've never played.. I had the uh oh feeling as soon as I read gimmegames review and reminder that there are more than one Earhart game. I was wondering why all the reviews were so negative. That should have given me a clue.

Apologies to everyone Thanks, gimmegames.
Oh, there's another Amelia Earhart game? Oh, I will have to check that out! I really did not like this particular game but suffered through it, LOL! Ha ha ha! Thanks for the other title, Lauralei.

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Jan 29, 11 2:13 PM
I remember the demo when this came out. But I'm on a new computer so decided to replay the hour. Still no buy for me.
If you are after a very basic HOG with the ugliest landlord/male chauvanist character ever created , then this is the game. The music varies, some not so bad, some quite forgettable.
Some tidbits of Amelia's life are there, if that's your interest. But the dialogue boxes which kept popping up...annoying! And the dumb gadget mini to get hints, annoying too. As others have mentioned, check out the other Amelia games, I think there might be at least 2 others here on BFG, 1 of which I recall had much better graphics and more interaction.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Jan 29, 11 5:44 PM
It's an OK game for a DD. Well, it is now, after I turned off the music. That was annoying, and I admit, I don't like those flipping tiles mini games. They are irritating because it's too easy to slip over and flip a tile after you have it in the right spot. That said, I am enjoying the H/O scenes and only had to ask for a hint a couple of times (dark object and old eyes). I'm interested in the historical stuff and it's a nice relaxing game. I'd give it half a thumb up, but I don't think there is one.

NIMHURCHU
Clownfish
Clownfish
744 Posts

[Post New]by NIMHURCHU on Jan 29, 11 8:21 PM
I almost didn't try this game because of negative reviews, but I need 2 more punches to fill a second card, and I'm running out of days I'm glad I tried it because I found it to be very relaxing, and easy to get through. I rarely needed to use a hint - the graphics were sharp and clear. It's a little slow to rotate pieces to fit them in the maps, but not too annoying. I also don't like the flipping tiles mini games, but the others are easy enough. Yes, I agree the flashing light on the skip button is annoying, but for me, not so much that I would count the game out as a purchase. The coordinates locator gadget is fun and easy, and I like that there's a reason for having to find all those numbers in the hidden object scenes. There's a little bit of simple interaction, such as using keys to open doors and drawers, using rust remover, screw drivers, wrenches, a steaming kettle etc. Nothing complicated, but for me, it breaks up the monotony of simply searching for the hidden objects. I didn't think there was too much intrusive dialogue, and I enjoyed the tid bits of history. I was surprised to see my 1hr pass so quickly. It's a buy for me!

p.s Purchased game after 1hr trial expired, and found that I had to start from the very beginning

Edited on 01/29/2011 at 8:33:06 PM PST

Go to: