cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Murder Island: Secret of Tantalus

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jan 30, 11 2:13 AM
At first sight I wasn't sure whether I would like this game or not because I found the graphics a bit fuzzy for my eyes especially in the hidden object scenes and I found the custom cursor a bit ungainly to use. Problems solved I used the rechargeable hints when stuck and changed to the system cursor which is much better for clicking on objects as the arrow has a proper point. The yellow area exit arrows are still there but are much smaller which is better.

There is only one choice of gameplay mode and there are sparkles indicating hidden object scenes but ... a big plus ... there is a map which shows you where you are, what areas have not been completed and the ability to click on the area you want to go to without wearing your sneakers out .

To start off you have to collect 12 bells which are scattered all around as are green mosaic tiles which you also have to collect ... some of the latter are on the edge of your screen and I found that I exited the scene instead of picking them up a couple of times and had to go back and try again.

At least one of the items in the hidden object scenes have to be created by finding unspecified parts and putting them together, eg a cup of tea. Other items are cryptic clues such as "a future tree" . I think both of these make finding the objects much more interesting . One in particular had me ROTFLOL and that was the marble chest .

Best of all though is the fact that you have a murder to solve and so I am off to sleuth while I can as we have to go out today.

Happy solving .

Cherb

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on Jan 30, 11 2:35 AM
Ah, yes, cherbtoo, the "marble chest". How long did it take for you
to figure it out? Or the "crescent tool"? Made it interesting!
This game is fun and I'm sorry I have to wait to buy.
The only thing that irritated me, and it is minor, is everytime
you went to a different spot, up would pop up what your
suppose to be doing.
The first mosaic gave an interesting tidbit about word
tantalize. Not sure what the others would reveal.

A game with a mystery story. Very good, IMO

Journey_1
Herring
Herring
337 Posts

[Post New]by Journey_1 on Jan 30, 11 2:43 AM
I found this game to be horribly irritating and choppy. Nothing smooth or seamless when moving around. Way to much verbage for each area popping up. I only lasted 15 minutes. That was pushing it.
Cheers to those that will enjoy it.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Jan 30, 11 3:24 AM
There are tiles to collect, for which you receive rewards for every so many you collect. I ran out of time before I checked out what the rewards were.
The reward is some "historical" background, for the first 12 mosaic tiles about Tantalus and thus, the origin of "to tantalize" as someone mentioned. A part on a compass (which is shown on the map, I believe) is revealed then. I expect the other parts being about the other greek Gods from the place at the top of the hill.
I agree with the positive reviews, bright colours, good game play and for once a murder mystery! Thrilling.

Edited on 01/30/2011 at 3:25:26 AM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Jan 30, 11 3:26 AM
I don't like it. Items very small. No buy for me.

nat_pink25
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,920 Posts

[Post New]by nat_pink25 on Jan 30, 11 3:29 AM
When I beta this game a while ago I loved it . And now im so glad it's hear!!! ... And I bought it immediately.

It's a great game, now im off to play it .

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Jan 30, 11 4:19 AM
So far, it looks very interesting. I like the story line. I didn't even notice any background music, so it must be quite unobtrusive. Graphics look good and although I don't know how long it's going to be (I'm a slow player), I've been playing for 21 minutes, and haven't yet figured out where all the bells are, or how to get the boat, so I guess it would be a pretty good length for me. Unless something comes up, it's definitely a February buy for me.

tlovplay
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by tlovplay on Jan 30, 11 4:28 AM
ok i seem to be stuck where is the book for shelve?

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Jan 30, 11 4:31 AM
After reading the complaints in the other thread, I expected the misclick penalty to be horrendous - it wasn't, not by a long shot. A tiny flash of light (about an inch across, not the whole screen), a few sparkles, a spinning curser arrow. No big deal at all.

I played the full demo, and I am happy to add this to my collection. I need two more punches to fill my third card this month, and it's refreshing to be in Greece instead of Egypt (even though I'd love to go to Egypt for real some day) and there isn't a skimpily-dressed archeologist "chick" in sight. Similar premise to Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" where the victims pile up quickly.

Nice sunny setting, good voice acting that doesn't detract from the story but enhances it, places to visit and things to find! It probably isn't everyone's cup of tea, but it looks promising for an actual mystery story to while away a dreary Sunday, waiting for the next snowstorm.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Jan 30, 11 4:34 AM
tlovplay wrote:ok i seem to be stuck where is the book for shelve?

If you have a question on gameplay, the best thing to do is start a new thread. This thread is for comments and reviews, so other gamers won't know to look for your question here. Make sure that you give the thread a title that is specific, like "I need help finding the book" then explain where you are in the game and what help you need.

Sorry, I am not as far as you are yet, so I can't help.

[Post New]by justme666 on Jan 30, 11 5:15 AM
it mite be me but just latly i have been having trouble with big fish games downloading and playing all the games i would buy are causing trouble this one if i press the hint the game frezzes for a time and then the pointer sticks my puter is up to date i just think who test these games are not coming clean and just whants to get them on the market if i play these games on iwin i dont get a problem does any one eles have problems or is it just me

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Jan 30, 11 6:26 AM
I wasn't too impressed with the graphics at first but they either got better further into the game or I adjusted my thinking. In either case, this is a really fun game with a good plot and a cute sense of humor.

I haven't encountered the clicking penalty several others were complaining about and I've definitely misclicked several times in various H0 scenes so I'm guessing you really have to be going crazy with your mouse to activate it.

I'm very pleased with my purchase, it's a nice change from the usual themes we've had lately and I really like the little educational bits about Greek gods, etc.

KBEAR2045
Minnow
Minnow
280 Posts

[Post New]by KBEAR2045 on Jan 30, 11 6:27 AM
I must admit that when the game loaded up and I started playing it, I thought it would be a real dud with crappy graphics. As I played it though, I got pulled in and then hooked! It is a definite buy for me in February (just filled up my 2nd punch card and am not wiling to start a 3rd this late into the month). Yes some of the hidden objects are tiny and dark and there are some annoying aspects of the game but it just depends on what you are willing to sacrifice. Music I can always turn down or off. Dark graphics can be made a little brighter by moving my laptop screen. Tiny objects can be found using the hint button (unless there is a very long recharge time). As to story mode, well if it is done with a new twist or is your cup of tea you'll enjoy it. If not, then there is always the delete key to get rid of it. We're lucky that BFG allows us to carry our credits over and use them when we are ready to. Even the punch card rewards allows us 2 months instead of 1. I know there are other game sites out there that are not as flexible. Maybe that's why BFG is so popular (well just one of the reasons I'm sure). In any event I am happy with this game and I am looking forward to buying it in February. A side note, you would think that with all the reviews that by now the BFG devs would have come out with the "perfect" game.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Jan 30, 11 6:40 AM
justme666 wrote:it mite be me but just latly i have been having trouble with big fish games downloading and playing all the games i would buy are causing trouble this one if i press the hint the game frezzes for a time and then the pointer sticks my puter is up to date i just think who test these games are not coming clean and just whants to get them on the market if i play these games on iwin i dont get a problem does any one eles have problems or is it just me

It's just you - or rather, your computer. You probably need to update your video driver, Flashpoint, or something else.

Post your problem to the Tech Issues thread, and click on the green envelope "We're Here to Help" in the right column here, and report the problem. Other gamers can't help with problems like these, but Big Fish has great customer support, and they are happy to help.

[Post New]by heatherington on Jan 30, 11 6:43 AM
Goofy Duck and Cherbtoo gave good reviews. Wasn't sure I would like it because the screen shots showed the item list as very small, that is the words were very small. But as I have learned over the years you really can't depend on the screen shots that much so I'm downloading now, but not buying today. Can't buy anymore this month because I have three game punch cards filled and I know there is no way I'll fill up a whole nother one in two days time. But if I like it, and I usually do like the murder mystery games, I'm sure going to buy it.

[Post New]by heatherington on Jan 30, 11 6:48 AM
Sorry, Justme, I don't have problems with Big Fish games, but have had trouble on other sites, which I don't bother going to anymore because there is no way in this decade that I'm paying 19.99 for a game when I can get it for 6.99. Another reason I don't go to other sites is because if they have a game that I like chances are Big Fish won't pick it up and I'll be pining for it and it will never come. But anyway, sometimes I think its the way we have our computers configured is why we have trouble with some sites and not with others.

cme550
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by cme550 on Jan 30, 11 6:49 AM
I didnt think the graphics were that good, I didnt like the voice acting, the cursor annoys me most time (I might take off custom cursor next time I start up the game and see which is better), however, the story is intriguing me. I love murder mysteries and I will purchase using a game credit in February

[Post New]by chrissy0531 on Jan 30, 11 6:50 AM
i like the game...just wondering how long it is?

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Jan 30, 11 6:59 AM
chrissy0531 wrote:i like the game...just wondering how long it is?

Welcome to the pond chrissy0531

You'll have better luck getting an answer if you start your own thread. Just title it ...Length?

Have fun

ETA: Game looks good to me but I also have filled 3 punch cards and couldn't possibly fill another before the 1st so I'll wait on this one 'til next week.

Edited on 01/30/2011 at 7:01:52 AM PST

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Jan 30, 11 7:03 AM
Hi all.

I am loving this game, it is quite different to recent ones & is holding my attention.

As said by others, I am also loving the quirky clues. You have no idea how long I spent looking for Thomas the Tank Engine in response to "ringo's vehicle"

Oh & the marble chest LOL.

The "rewards" you collect are a bit lame but the info is interesting. I wonder if it will come in handyb later on.

With 30 map pieces to collect through out the game makes it to be of a decent length too.

Right-i-o, got to go, got a murder to solve !!!! LOL

Go to: