bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for A Girl in the City

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Jan 31, 11 12:12 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of A Girl in the City? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for A Girl in the City

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Jan 31, 11 12:24 AM
I quite after 5 minutes. Hated the timer that never gave me enough time. It's a definite no buy for me.

GrammaKj
Clownfish
Clownfish
541 Posts

[Post New]by GrammaKj on Jan 31, 11 12:34 AM
A "no buy" for me too. I quit after I wasn't fast enough on the slider pizza puzzle (even tho I solved it). Just not my favorite type of game. I've been spoiled recently with good games (which this isn't).

Edited on 02/01/2011 at 3:05:24 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Jan 31, 11 12:37 AM

Unskippable slider puzzle = no buy.

Edit: I've been corrected: you can skip after 3 minutes but thats way too long for me on a slider puzzle.

Edited on 01/31/2011 at 2:21:29 AM PST

quizzly
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by quizzly on Jan 31, 11 12:43 AM
Too much time pressure and as far as I could see no relaxed mode - I have enough of that in my real life so this game is a no buy for me.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jan 31, 11 12:47 AM
I didn't care for this one either, and I lasted through the delivery puzzle. I kept hoping it would get better, but I am not surprised it didn't...it is an HdO game and I have only found a couple of those that I could get through. The objects in those games are usually very tiny and extremely difficult to find. Didn't have that problem in this one, but I found the tasks tedious and boring, and it just wasn't fun. You can skip a puzzle if you want to wait 3 minutes. At least that is what I think the lengthy instructions that preceded each one said. I appreciate BF giving us hoggers another hog, but this one didn't make the cut. I guess the best thing I could say is it isn't dark and eerie...oh, but I love dark and eerie

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jan 31, 11 12:53 AM
I just started this game. There are two choices, classic or timed. To find the options, once you've put your profile in and hit return the game options pop up for timed or not timed!

[Post New]by alvertis5706 on Jan 31, 11 1:17 AM
I believe that I played the non-timed version, but everytime I changed scenes, a watch would pop up(?). Instructions were very non-intuitive on this one. Most of us who have played a few games can jump into a new one, and figure out what to do. This one ......I couldnt figure things out. The directions given were confusing with too many non-traditional icons. eg. on the street maze, I couldnt remember how to rotate the squares (wasn't the usual right click), and couldnt get back to the instructions. There were a lot of find a bunch of the same item, which got old fast.
All in all, it was too much tedius work.
Edit for forgot to say: You can adjust the brightness, for those of you looking for those "bright" games

Edited on 01/31/2011 at 1:20:59 AM PST

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jan 31, 11 1:27 AM
I nearly didn't bother to download the demo, read here it was timed. Need 2 SE punches by tomorrow. Oh well, I'm curious, do they really still make timed H0Gs?? Found the option for untimed. (I think?) Had to find all those names on the map of Manhattan, then all the taxis then all the pleasure boats all on same map. So, I timed myself anyway, was taking a break from a CE I just bought on laptop and a smoke.

OK, hit the boredom wall in 15 minutes. Actually, didn't take me that long after the map, maybe more like 5 min (is that a record?) Was the first pizza place looking for multiples. Like the map one, each item you find is replaced by yet another and another and another, list of items keeps growing like a fungus. Afraid I'd never get out of there and see what that timed puzzle was all about on untimed. 3 minutes to hit skip? Are you kidding? Hung in hoping it would be as fun as Valerie Harper and her new journalist job. If this one has a story it's a long time a'comin'. Well, Valerie didn't have to start out cleaning a dirty restaurant, was the boss's office but it did have something to do with the story, the items made sense and a fun period piece, 1920s. This one? Couldn't tell with that corny music, didn't feel very "now". Oops, time's up for me....who needs a clock, I'm getting hungry for and...

Phantasma is calling me back to the pet store. Bye!

Edited on 01/31/2011 at 1:32:46 AM PST

Staril
Minnow
Minnow
227 Posts

[Post New]by Staril on Jan 31, 11 1:28 AM
I was enjoying hte H0 scenes in this one. Very nice graphics and I loved the NY map one. But, then I hit the puzzles ... ugh ... managed the sliding blocks one but gave up when it immediately went into some sort of find the quickest way map thing. Very disappointing after the nice H0 bits. Yes, you can skip the puzzles but only after a 3 minute wait. Also, the hints/clues are limited ... thought that idea had gone out a few years back ... nearly always means a no sale for me.

lynn009
Seahorse
Seahorse
31 Posts

[Post New]by lynn009 on Jan 31, 11 1:40 AM
Omg ! this game is a no buy for me also. Hated that before you got into the game you had to find landmarks, boats and taxis what was the point.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jan 31, 11 1:51 AM
Oh yeh, forgot about the limited hints too. I had a feeling this game was made 2 or 3 years ago but held up because they couldn't think up an interesting title. I guess they gave up recently and said oh heck let's go with the working title. Good fit, has about as much zing as the game. Or, maybe they were just cleaning up their studio and found it in the dust.

Most DDs are more up to date than this effort. Sorry devs, try again if you can recoup some seed money from this one, I'm sure there will be some takers, just not for me, rather go back and replay Huntsville if that's what you were shooting for.

bertiepuppy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by bertiepuppy on Jan 31, 11 1:53 AM
I enjoyed the find sstuff but the puzzles were silly and I still haven't figured out how to get the pizza out. As for the find the fastest route - I started the game three times to find the instructions and am still none the wise on what you have to do here.

A no buy from me as well.

gpherder
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by gpherder on Jan 31, 11 2:14 AM
I made it 20 minutes into this one (past the delivery puzzle).

I'm not one who normally lets a story get in the way of a game. I enjoy a good story, but if it's a good enough game, I can usually ignore a bad story and play it.

This was so mind-bogglingly horrible I couldn't do it. I got to the emergency room "haze" **** scene and had to quit.

Yes, it was that bad.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Jan 31, 11 2:15 AM
Well now, there ARE the adventure point and click players who don't like to be told what to do. Just use your brains and work it out how to solve those puzzles, but usually hate HOGS. Maybe the TMers with the clock ticking?

No, didn't think so. Just trying to help after all these neg comments.

ETA Who said this one didn't need a walkthrough?? May be its salvation.

Edited on 01/31/2011 at 2:17:52 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jan 31, 11 2:27 AM
I always feel bad saying something bad about a game,because I know how hard people work on it. But how can I be true to myself and other's without the real truth. So, in saying that, this is a simplistic hog game. 3 minute skip button,why? I wouldn't skip if it was interesting. Staring at the screen for 3 minutes waiting to skip,doesn't make me like the game any better. I moved the pizza around the board and freed one, why again? lol I'm sorry to say this is really boring and beyond simplistic in play. Would I get if for a punch card? I'm not sure yet. I'll wait till the future and see if it comes up as a DD and play it again and decide then, if I want to wait 3 minutes to skip a puzzle that doesn't interest me anyway.

I'd rate this: "POT BELLY" being generous.

PORK BELLY:
Likable game for some, but not for everyone.

' '
(o)

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jan 31, 11 2:35 AM
I tried the game, I did not like it at all the timer drove me nuts..I am not into games with timers..thumbs down for this game..After 5 minutes I quit the game sorry BF you just have us spoiled with priceless games..

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jan 31, 11 2:57 AM
Sorry Doc but I think these shoes will pinch your toes .

I, too, had trouble with the sorting out the profile mode as they both looked timed to me so I just gave up and started playing and then got annoyed with myself because I couldn't get the pizza out of the oven. I agree with Goofy that I think you were meant to fail.

My main enjoyment of this game was two puzzles:

The delivery map puzzle ... I just looked for a piece that would fit the starting point and then worked my way from there following the red line ... just click two pieces to swap them.

The crossword puzzle ... you alternate between the two diamond shape buttons on the right ... one swaps two pieces round and the other rotates the selected piece.

Also on the plus side from my personal point of view was that you didn't get a misclick penalty when finding 10 Hazes but, when you did overclick, having the screen darken is much more acceptable than having your cursor loop de loop so thanks very much for that.

What I didn't like about the game was having to find numerous items of the same type plus the fact that some of the items had to be clicked more than once before they would actually vanish from my list ... yes I was clicking right on them, I made sure after the first time it didn't take.

Unfortunately the story was not interesting enough for me to buy this game sorry devs.

Cherb

ajwiggin
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by ajwiggin on Jan 31, 11 3:17 AM
I found this game tedious and boring. No buy for me, quit demo after 30 minutes. Angie

slm1022
Lobster
Lobster
88 Posts

[Post New]by slm1022 on Jan 31, 11 3:30 AM
This game insults my intelligence as a Big Fish Games member. Tedious, boring, poorly written. The developers should have saved their time and money. Back to the drawing board on this one. Poor quality and just plain dumb.

Go to: