bfgDonau
Flounder
Flounder
2,464 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Farm Frenzy: Ancient Rome

[Post New]by bfgDonau on Feb 9, 11 1:31 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Farm Frenzy: Ancient Rome? We value your reviews, as do many of the other Fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and reviews in this thread! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before.

If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

If you're encountering any technical issues with the game, please be sure to post them in the Post any Farm Frenzy: Ancient Rome technical issues here only thread and to also get in touch with Customer Support. This way we can keep this thread reserved just for reviews.

Thanks and happy gaming!

-bfgDonau

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Farm Frenzy: Ancient Rome

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on Feb 9, 11 5:10 AM
I have always enjoyed these Farm Frenzy games, but for the past few I have not bothered to buy them. They are all very similar, so I just play them for the free hour, and not bother after that.
They are enjoyable, but when you've played one, you have played them all, IMO.
I found this one harder, and didn't get anywhere near getting gold or silver after the first couple levels. I might have been able to get silver on a couple of the levels if I'd started the level again, but I couldn't be bothered. I accept a game getting harder, but I think it should be easier to get gold/silver early on. But that's just my opinion.

Getting the gold/silver on levels can be important, as you need the money to buy upgrades later on, but that doesn't matter to me as I don't intend buying it. It's a shame, though, as it's only later on in the game (on the early frenzies, anyway) that the game really got going.

Great game if you've not played the other frenzies, but I won't be bothering.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Feb 9, 11 5:17 AM
I agree with Elizabeth - this game is great, if its your first Farm Frenzy game! But if you played also other Farm Frenzy games (like me!) you will be bored after a while. Its always the same game, but only with a different theme. No buy for me

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Feb 9, 11 5:21 AM
Hi, I just posted this on the other thread, so I,ll just copy it here as it seems to be the right place.

Well I can not give a great review as many of you do, but so far.......

So far, being a huge fan of the FF series, this game does not disappoint.

As has been the trend so far this game is harder than its prequall.

The story is Scarlet opens a book (found in a chest by last games dolphin), the character looks just like her & is called Scarlet, she falls in love & wants to get married but she only has a goose as a dowery, so off she goes to make money.

Off to Rome.

It is the usual FF format & familiar music, but with a few twists so far. To upgrade a building you have to make cement in the cement maker that needs sand (bought), water from your well & an egg

The cart is a boat & the plane is a donkey LOL

All in all I can foresee hours of fun, turmile & frustration.

Sorry I can't add more but I havn't got that far yet LOL.

May be I'll update later if I get far enough before one of you fishes do.

Have fun !!!!!!

wrenbird
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
402 Posts

[Post New]by wrenbird on Feb 9, 11 5:58 AM
I have all the other Farm Frenzy games, and was looking forward to the next, but I am going to pass on this one. Too similar to the previous FF's, and this one has the annoying habit of purchasing water when you click anywhere near the well. Anyone who has played these games knows that one of the key strategies to getting the gold trophy is to get those bears as quickly as possible when they fall from the sky. They tend to land close to the well, and you end up spending money that you need for products or buildings on water that you may not need at that time. I found this to be extremely frustrating when you've planned your strategy with no room for error. Maybe this is part of the challenge of the game, but its irritating enough to turn me off this game.

I feel strongly enough about this to actually post for the first time.

On a more positive note, I really like the donkey, and the falling products with wings. ( but not enough to buy - I'm already experiencing hair loss, and I don't need to accelerate this by ripping more of it out in frustration. lol )

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Feb 9, 11 6:12 AM
Hi Wrenbird,

Yes that well is annoying, I combatted it by ensuring I always had about 2 clicks of water in my well before the bears come.

I am sorry you are not enjoying it so far, but despite what you say I think you will end up buying it anyway LOL.

[Post New]by Joyce612 on Feb 9, 11 6:53 AM
Hey,

I'm really a fan of the FF games and I like this version too. It is a lot of the same but a few new things too like the cement you need to upgrade your buildings.
Not sure yet if I'm going to buy this one.

sonofstar
Herring
Herring
361 Posts

[Post New]by sonofstar on Feb 9, 11 7:04 AM
I've like a lot of the other Farm Frenzy games. I haven't noticed that they necessarily progressed from harder to harder. In fact, one of the later games I found to be easier than one of the other earlier games.

However, the last two - the one with the fish farm and this latest one - I find to be too difficult to be fun. When I have to play one level 3 times in order to either get to silver or get enough coins to purchase the next plant upgrade, I'm not interested in purchasing to play further.

And while we're on upgrades, let me lodge a complaint about the latest upgrade system. Not only do you have to purchase the upgrade, both the blueprint for the upgrade in the Shop but also the upgrade within the game itself, now you have to figure out some unbelievable combination of what other resources to have on hand and products to make in order to upgrade an entirely unrelated item. Unreal. Do NOT like at all!

Will not be purchasing this game, and if further Farm Frenzy games continue in this vein, I will not even bother to try new ones in the future.

wrenbird
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
402 Posts

[Post New]by wrenbird on Feb 9, 11 7:08 AM
Okay, I'm going back in. Maybe I was too hasty, so I will finish the last 20 minutes of the free trial, and see if I change my mind. jojo_the_joyful is probably right. I have no will power (it's that cute donkey). Shame on me LOL.

tamk42
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by tamk42 on Feb 9, 11 12:29 PM
I agree that these games are similar, but that doesn't bother me..I play them to try to beat the times, I too am extremely annoyed at purchased water when I do not want to but it happens when you are getting the bears, and the new upgrade system is very costly and annoying....I stopped playing it after I realized what the cement was actually for, but unforturtunately, I already bought the game...so I'm stuck with it

brooklynblonde
Guppy
Guppy
175 Posts

[Post New]by brooklynblonde on Feb 9, 11 7:11 PM
I have to say that I was planning on not liking this FF after reading the reviews and threads about what's different this time around. So, I'm pleasantly surprised that I like this enough to buy it-there are so many FF's that I don't buy all of them. I agree that the new upgrade system isn't the best-it seems like the developers were trying to add a new wrinkle, but instead of being interesting it's annoying. Also, if you haven't played FF games before, this is probably not the one to start with. Having said that, this game isn't as hard as I expected it to be-yes, I went back and played some levels for extra $$, but I think that's part of the fun of these games-most levels can be played many times for better scores. I guess it's just a matter of taste-I didn't like FF Pizza Party that much, but loving this one.

dkhx2
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
9 Posts

[Post New]by dkhx2 on Feb 9, 11 8:29 PM
I love the FF series got this game a long time ago and i didnt find it hard at all in fact it was one of the easiest ones to do. Did seem like there were alot more levels and there is a few changes to the game and how you make the items. Instead of upgrading with money you will also need to use wood, water and granite to expand some of your work stations so that does add a bit more to the game. I enjoyed it.

SnowNSew
Squid
Squid
68 Posts

[Post New]by SnowNSew on Feb 10, 11 11:08 AM
Caveat: I love Farm Frenzy and have purchased all the farm frenzy games.

I saw this game on the developer's website and have anxiously been awaiting its arrival at bigfish. I was ecstatic to see it yesterday and was disappointed to have installation issues due to the new game manager (fixed! thanks Jenny!) I read the reviews here while fixing my game manager - and as such hesitantly dove in once I finally got it installed. Once I started playing, the same ole frenzy took over - and I love this game. Good timing too - I just recently finished Farm Frenzy: Gone Fishing.

To my mind, the developers of this game face a mild dilemma: how to improve upon the formula while still keeping the frenziness that makes it farm frenzy. I do believe each successive game gets more difficult more quickly. I am ok with that - the thing that bothers me is that I cannot turn off the tutorials. I have played these games enough that I really no longer need one.

I not only fight through each level to get the gold, I must also get the best time (because, oh my gosh, there is a trophy for that!) In addition, I do this early on because this provides me with the stars I need to purchase the upgrades. If I have to repeat the same level that I have already beaten to purchase upgrades, then I am annoyed. So far, that has not happened.

As for the other annoyance that others have found as to the water refilling when clicking too closely, I have found that to be so in all the Farm Frenzy games. Not only does it refill, it also upgrades when I really do not wish it to. For that reason, I learned several FFs ago to upgrade the well absolutely last and only after finishing (with best time) every other level except those for which I need that upgrade to finish.

As others have mentioned, the upgrades this time around do require more than just gold. To me, this is an interesting twist that makes thinking ahead just a little bit more interesting. It is also a case of the developers trying to answer the dilemma I mentioned earlier: they are trying to vary the game while keeping it the same. I won't complain about developers trying to listen to their customers. In this case, I don't find it annoying, just another thing to deal with. I am ok with that.

In summary, this Farm Frenzy game is much like the previous games.This game does provide some unique challenges separate from earlier ones. If you enjoy the Farm Frenzy series and are looking for more levels to conquer, this game will satisfy.

[Post New]by coopertess on Feb 10, 11 2:25 PM
I keep getting an error message and can't get the game to even start. Anyone else have that trouble?

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Feb 10, 11 4:31 PM
coopertess wrote:I keep getting an error message and can't get the game to even start. Anyone else have that trouble?

Hi coopertess and welcome to the BF pond.

Did you contact Customer Suppoirt? Anytime you have a problem, that is where you should go. Just click on the green envelope in window at the lower right. They are great with the help they provide. I have also used live chat and got help there.

Hope this helps

Pat

[Post New]by ChrissyGail on Feb 10, 11 7:54 PM
OK. Why is the cement so important for the upgrades in this game? I've been SO frustrated having PAID for them but I had no idea I needed cement to make them. Did I miss something????? V frustrating. Most annoying FF yet.

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Feb 10, 11 11:36 PM
The graphics are good. The gameplay is standard Farm Frenzy with a few interesting changes. You now need cemet to make a building upgrade, which I think is a great idea. Bears now drop already dressed. LOL! The storyline is cute and fun. I love the Roman theme. While the levels can be challenging, ie hard to get gold the first time out, they are fun!

This game is an A.

vahlcanna1
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by vahlcanna1 on Feb 11, 11 10:17 AM
very glad i read the reviews. i'm a farm frenzy addict but started to give up wih the ff3 series tooo repetitive. i was very excited when the fish one came out, whole new setting and new twist i found got bore cause for some reason u were still playing after the game conclusion.. but i did like that ff did step out of the box a little
every time i play a ff i itch to buy it right away but get bored so i have learned like a good padawan to read forums first. i enjoyed my trial and i like a challenge i think this'll be a buy the recent glut of time management games has made me very happy i could fill up my card right now but bf told me i have to finish all the games i have before i can purchase more past the monthly credit. off to buy and hope i don't get bored halfway through

pecabo1338
Clownfish
Clownfish
549 Posts

[Post New]by pecabo1338 on Feb 11, 11 3:30 PM
ChrissyGail wrote:OK. Why is the cement so important for the upgrades in this game? I've been SO frustrated having PAID for them but I had no idea I needed cement to make them. Did I miss something????? V frustrating. Most annoying FF yet.

See the Discussion - New Method of Upgrading in this Farm Frenzy. It's in this forum and it tells you about the new way of upgrading.

There is more than just cement. You will need wood and granite also later in the game.

patnsky
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by patnsky on Feb 12, 11 4:38 PM
I truly love FF Ancient Rome it is my favorite of the FF games. I love the new look and the new challenges that are included.

I find Ancient Rome in many ways easier then the last FF game, but then in some ways it is harder than any of the previous FF games. First let me say, that while making Gold or Silver is nice, it is not the main reason I play FF games, I play for the fun of the game. That said, making Gold or Silver on the first10-15 levels was much easier the last several games. On the other hand AR is harder to learn in the beginning.

I was rather frustrated in some of the earlier levels when I had more than enough $$’s to buy up-grades but could not buy them. Thanks to reading some of the comments by other fishes, I learned to not sell certain items as they are required to be able to purchase those up-grades.

It would have been easier in the begging if Alawar would have had a help or given a heads-up about the new challenges they included in AR, but then again, maybe that was their way of making sure we had some new challenges.

I recently went back and played the original FF. Wow, have they come a long way. They have slowly become more difficult by either shortening the times per level or requiring more items to complete a level. I have not finished AR yet, but one thing I truly hope is there not any mega-cakes.

All in all, if you have not tried any FF’s lately, do try this one as there are new and different challenges in AR.

Pat

Go to: