bfgDonau
Flounder
Flounder
2,464 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Virtual Villagers: New Believers

[Post New]by bfgDonau on Feb 9, 11 1:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Virtual Villagers: New Believers? We value your reviews, as do many of the other Fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and reviews in this thread! Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before.

If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

If you're encountering any technical issues with the game, please be sure to post them in the Post any Virtual Villagers: New Believers technical issues here only thread and to also get in touch with Customer Support. This way we can keep this thread reserved just for reviews.

Thanks and happy gaming!

-bfgDonau

honorelle
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Virtual Villagers: New Believers

[Post New]by honorelle on Feb 9, 11 3:42 AM
I have the developers, Last Day of Work, on alert, and so I tried the demo of this about 3 weeks ago.

I love this, it's far superior to VV4, and I've been waiting impatiently for it, going so far as nearly buying direct at $19.99 several times, talking myself out of it at the checkout.

The powers are interesting, the conversion thing is neat. The puzzles are mildly less contrived. It has the usual VV flair with nice additions.

A must buy as soon as I saw it.

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Feb 9, 11 5:13 AM
If you like the previous Virtual Villagers game, you should like this game too. Nice game

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Feb 9, 11 6:50 AM
I bought this from Last Day Of Work and it is very different from the others. I found this one alittle more intreging and allot harder to complete. There is a walkthrough for it online that will explain everything you have to do so that really helps. Things have to be done in order and some parts are very frustrating because they are timed in a sense.I enjoyed it and I did need the walkthrough.

mr7933
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by mr7933 on Feb 9, 11 8:04 AM
I didn't like this version at all. I loved the others, but this one was boring. All the puzzles were the same. . . destroy the statue. There wasn't any real challenge. I wsih I would have done the demo first because I wouldn't have bought it.

fsilver4
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by fsilver4 on Feb 9, 11 1:16 PM
Why must these games be sooooo sloooowww! ZZZzzzZZZ

MtnLady
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

[Post New]by MtnLady on Feb 9, 11 2:28 PM
Loved all these games, but this one.. Just don't like it's gameplay

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on Feb 9, 11 4:40 PM
I don't actually understand anything about what you're really supposed to do in this game!!

The tutorial kept going away and I had to keep clicking "begin tutorial" to have any idea of what was going on.
It told me to go to the lab, but didn't tell me where the lab was or even if the place I took the character to was, in fact, the lab. Then when I thought I found it, I put an adult character there, and she just walked off! NOTHING AT ALL happened. It didn't say why or to try again or anything or even if I got it wrong. It just kept saying "put adult character in lab" and that was it.......it didn't say why I was going to the lab, or what the objective was. It was like a set of instructions without knowing what you were doing it for.

If I didn't have the tutorial on it didn't tell me what it wanted me to do, and at no time was there any indications of what the aims and objectives were or give me any tasks. I was sat there waiting for something to happen or for some indication as to what it wanted me to do.
If I had the tutorial on, it would say, "do this", but then when I think I did it, the next part wouldn't come up, unless I clicked on the "okay" in the tutorial box......and then nothing happened unless I clicked "continue tutorial" again.

Oh, and the game sound effects were VERY LOUD and I had to turn it down to virtually zero, so I didn't have to listen to children giggling constantly or tribes people going "unbong, unbong" over and over very loud.

Very annoying, very frustrating. I couldn't take being sat there looking at the laptop without having a clue about anything any longer than 12 minutes.

Is it possible to give a minus score out of 10? thumbdown:

kilbride
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by kilbride on Feb 9, 11 4:50 PM
not for beginners to virtual villagers not much for tutorial or help played demo
will most likely buy as have played all others
but first impression was made for fans
if was not familiar with vv would have been lost

mendolyn
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by mendolyn on Feb 9, 11 8:21 PM
was all excited to play this as i have loved the virtual villagers games in the past...that was until i read this in the description: "Use your incredible God Powers to impress the New Believers".

doesn't sound like my cup of tea after all unfortunately but to everyone else happy gaming

stingstungme
Minnow
Minnow
216 Posts

[Post New]by stingstungme on Feb 9, 11 11:59 PM
I actually saw that this was released and was going to buy it. Sat through the demo saying wth is this?

It is even harder getting people to work since the heathens keep chasing them off.

I am so glad that I didn't waste my money on it. I had them go around and preach to the ones in the blue masks but there are the orange and red masks that keep scaring them off.

Ugh.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Feb 10, 11 2:14 AM
Well I was very excited to see this game yesterday and have been too busy playing it since then to come and comment on it until now.

I opted not to play the tutorial because I have already played the others in the series and, while quite frustrating at times (understatement of the year ) , I am getting there solving things for myself especially how to get rid of the most annoying Yellow Mask, the kid Rascal . That bit was extremely satisfying after all the trouble he had caused me anyone like prunes .

I have to admit that I turned the sound off because of the repetitious sounds of umbong/unbong (or whatever the heathens were saying) became annoying after a while and now I am enjoying the and quiet and can concentrate more .

Yes it is harder to get things done than in the previous games but it is possible so hang on in there and borrow some more patience from Job who, luckily, always has plenty to spare for Virtual Villager games .

Cherb

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on Feb 10, 11 4:21 AM
kilbride wrote:not for beginners to virtual villagers not much for tutorial or help played demo
will most likely buy as have played all others
but first impression was made for fans
if was not familiar with vv would have been lost

Yes, and I was!

mendolyn wrote:was all excited to play this as i have loved the virtual villagers games in the past...that was until i read this in the description: "Use your incredible God Powers to impress the New Believers".

doesn't sound like my cup of tea after all unfortunately but to everyone else happy gaming

Indeed! Didn't really start off on the right foot for me, either, after that description. How arrogant is that?

eluvre
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by eluvre on Feb 10, 11 10:38 AM
After playing LDW's demo, I was very excited about VV5... I absolutely couldn't wait to get it. Now, after playing it for several hours, I'm very disappointed with this game and it's storyline. The ploy of said player lording over and converting people to my beliefs is not fun. With this game, I do believe LDW has jumped the shark. I will not recommend this game to my family or friends. .

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Feb 10, 11 2:26 PM
So sorry to hear you had such a hard time Elizabeth. I take it this is the FIRST VV game you have played? Perhaps you should have started with #1 so by the time this one rolls around you would kind of (yes even being an afficianado?? LOL I need a hint once in a while) known what to do! Shame it is a great game. For those of you who think it is too slow go to the "options" menu and click it on FAST. Makes a huge difference for how long it takes things to happen. Again I am the Happiest Fishy in the world today/yesterday because there is ANOTHER level of a game I play ALOT during the year. Thanks BFG! 50 Thumbs UP!

ElizabethR1533 wrote:I don't actually understand anything about what you're really supposed to do in this game!!

The tutorial kept going away and I had to keep clicking "begin tutorial" to have any idea of what was going on.
It told me to go to the lab, but didn't tell me where the lab was or even if the place I took the character to was, in fact, the lab. Then when I thought I found it, I put an adult character there, and she just walked off! NOTHING AT ALL happened. It didn't say why or to try again or anything or even if I got it wrong. It just kept saying "put adult character in lab" and that was it.......it didn't say why I was going to the lab, or what the objective was. It was like a set of instructions without knowing what you were doing it for.

If I didn't have the tutorial on it didn't tell me what it wanted me to do, and at no time was there any indications of what the aims and objectives were or give me any tasks. I was sat there waiting for something to happen or for some indication as to what it wanted me to do.
If I had the tutorial on, it would say, "do this", but then when I think I did it, the next part wouldn't come up, unless I clicked on the "okay" in the tutorial box......and then nothing happened unless I clicked "continue tutorial" again.

Oh, and the game sound effects were VERY LOUD and I had to turn it down to virtually zero, so I didn't have to listen to children giggling constantly or tribes people going "unbong, unbong" over and over very loud.

Very annoying, very frustrating. I couldn't take being sat there looking at the laptop without having a clue about anything any longer than 12 minutes.

Is it possible to give a minus score out of 10? thumbdown:

asierrahiker
Marlin
Marlin
9,070 Posts

[Post New]by asierrahiker on Feb 10, 11 2:55 PM
I was so excited to see a new VV game but I played the full hour of the demo and I have to say I'm just not that thrilled with this edition after all. I bought the first three VVs as well as Virtual Families and loved them all. I'm just not a fan of the direction they're going with these.

I didn't buy the last one either though, come to think of it.

At first, I figured as a seasoned VV fan I'd skip the tutorial. Mistake. I couldn't figure out what to do so I stepped back and restarted the game as a new player and took the tutorial. I still felt pretty foggy as the instructions are rather sketchy. When the hour was up I just didn't give a hoot about any of the little characters and what was to befall them.

I just didn't see the charm of the earlier games.

Happy gaming to those who like it.

[Post New]by Cody821 on Feb 10, 11 3:06 PM
Great graphics, large play area, lovely music! But, ABSURD storyline, same ole brain dead, lazy, VV's with ADD fed by the children. BORING! Major disappointment. Believers in what? Who's the heathen here? VV's live an apathetic life, fornicating for reproduction, ignore the children, and never interact with each other. The "heathens" who appear to be a tribe probably have marriage rituals and some type of unity. VV's are a truly heathen bunch of people living in sin mating with just anyone without any love or family unit. Then, there's the same ole mournful zombie walk the mothers do for two solid years before they turn the child loose to run wild having no further interaction with them. Hate this feature of the game! My Tribe's moms are the same but don't do the zombie walk, and the baby comes out right away walking and independent. Totally ignored by adults, too, but doesn't have to endure two years of being packed around by a zombie mom.

HATE the way death is portrayed in this game. SICK of these lazy morons walking off the job and saying, "No!" and "Huh?"!!!!! Nothing for me to do, but make the childlren pick up boring artifacts and mushrooms. Seems like fruit on a tree would be more realistic. Mushrooms? Absurd! Then, I spend the rest of my time taking the ADD bums back to work. I've known people with ADD and they are productive and responsible.

I'm going back to My Tribe and Dream Farm Home Town. VV5 is just one more ABSURD VV with slow play and heathen ways.

Hope512
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by Hope512 on Feb 10, 11 4:12 PM
I've been a huge fan of VV since the first one, and I couldn't wait for this one. I found it a bit weird at first with the god powers but I really enjoy them. I think you do need to have played before to be able to leap in and play. Otherwise it is easy to get a bit lost. The version that was direct from Last Day of Work (the devs) in the first few weeks had an inbuilt strategy guide. If the name of the devs is modded out, search for the name of the game and it should come up. I think you can buy it from them, I'm not sure if BFG will get it. They also have a really good forum you can go for help. I've made use of it!

I think a lot of people aren't really aware that it is a slow burn of a game, which is one of the things I like. You play it for days if not weeks, and I know there are people who are still looking after their villagers months after they've solved the puzzles. There are lots of trophies to get and lots of different strategies to try. It's quirky, with lots of very fun villager behaviour to to get to know. keep clicking gently on them and you'll see what they are doing. Part of the fun is exactly that they won't always do what you want. They aren't just robots they are more like real people, LOL.

Greylady_98
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by Greylady_98 on Feb 11, 11 5:34 PM
I wasn't fond of the last VV game, although I've been a huge fan of all the others. I couldn't decide whether to buy this one or not but finally bought the game. I'm glad I did because I find it the best one so far.

pamsoso
Lobster
Lobster
81 Posts

[Post New]by pamsoso on Feb 12, 11 5:35 AM

personaly I like this game, do need the forum now and again but otherwise good fun and it keeps me busy

Go to: