Subtle tips/tricks

[Post New]by MsFireDragon on Feb 10, 11 6:19 PM
While the game is nowhere near easy (meaning not for a first time virtual village player), it is rather interesting.

Tip 1: The villagers chosen for the journey should include at least ONE child under 8 and one teenager. Other than that 2 female,2 male 1 child. Do NOT include a nursing female as that will cause issues.

Tip 2: Get everyone working on a skill so that you have Masters and make sure that your Masters master other skills as well (only a Master Builder can tackle the totem near the masoluem).

Tip 3: Have children. LOTS of them but try to keep the nursing mothers limited to 2 or 3 at a time unless you have managed to convert a good number of male or female heathens. (Only children can tackle the totem near the dry lake. Count the number of 'hidey holes' and then add 1==goodbye totem).

Tip 4: Use children or other villagers(kind of tag team) to distract Yellow Masks so that a minimum of 2 villagers can tear down totems ( if you use kids,attract as many Yellows as possible, get them far enough away and use the 'spawn butterflies' as this will bring ALL the children & keep the Yellows busy for a time)

Tip 5: If you are low on food and have the power to grow mushrooms, do so and then have the kids collect. It will up your food and keep you going for a while. Also use the bees on the Noni bush (this will only work about 2 times though) as they will polinate it.

Finally if you use the bees or lightening, make sure that YOUR villagers are out of the way since they can get hurt. Both will scare away Yellow and Red masks, but the effects are temporary at best and you will need to work FAST with 2 or more villagers. Once totems are down then Red Masks will leave the area (both will congregate in larger numbers as the number of totems start to dwindle to 'protect' the remaining totem(s)).

Have fun

angel2shine
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

Re:Subtle tips/tricks

[Post New]by angel2shine on Feb 11, 11 12:28 AM
hanks so much for the tips MsFireDragon.

Boy have I been waiting on this game, I was almost willing to pay almost $20.00 on it, think that BFG couldn't get it!

Thank you BFG!

[Post New]by MsFireDragon on Feb 11, 11 3:35 AM
You're welcome Angel, glad to help where I can.

The Butterfly spawn trick actually is thanks to my 13 yr old daughter (she's addicted to these games like her old mom).

I have discovered that building the clothing hut really doesn't get you anywhere useful (just another building which can cause your villiagers to waste tech points).
As for the Rainbow Totem you will need 2 Master Builders PLUS 4 others & a level 3 Science Tech ( Science 3 gets the dye, 4 people **2 carry red dye & 2 yellow dye**on a steady basis to make orange water so that Master Builders can dismantle the totem).

Level 3 Science will also allow for work on the aqueduct & you need 1 Master Scientist (to direct work) & 1 or 2 Master Builders to do repairs. Do not allow the Master Scientist to leave until work is complete. When done you will have new crops (they take time to grow) & learn more of the story of how the Masked Village evolved.

Geez this village is more addicting than the others,,,,lol.

Addicting & fun

zeiladae
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by zeiladae on Feb 11, 11 4:55 AM
MsFireDragon, what issues are you talking about when you say, don't start with a nursing mother? I haven't had any issues with nursing mothers when using one at the start of the game.

Also, you only need science level 2 to get the clothing hut for the dye pots to tear down the rainbow totem. You don't need a scientist and your builders don't have to be masters.

To fix the farm, you need a master scientist, a master builder, and level 2 construction.

Eta, I bought the game from the developer and have the walkthru in my computer.

Edited on 02/11/2011 at 5:05:13 AM PST

Bumblefish
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by Bumblefish on Feb 11, 11 11:56 AM
Some might consider the following cheating, but it is a very useful glitch.
Like in most of the previous games it is possible to collect a collectible with more than 1 child.
Freeze game, put child 1 on collectible. Pick up child 2, unfreeze (spacebar) and immediately, while child 1 kneels down, put no2 on collectible. If you are fast enough, you might even manage a third child.
Make sure you do not drop one kid on the other, because they will start playing and the collectble is lost then.

[Post New]by PICKLEFIEND12 on Feb 11, 11 2:04 PM
I actually tore down the rainbow totum before I got any clothing hut and/or dye.. I just used bees to distract the heathens then tore it down, had to do it about 4 times. And the only masters I had were scientists.

[Post New]by MsFireDragon on Feb 11, 11 9:34 PM
Everyone does things differently, so do what works best for you and your village.

In regards to starting the village with a Nursing Mother, it's the fact that Nursing Moms don't work for 2 yrs & if you want to get ahead of the game, it's best to wait until you at least have some routine established before having babies (but that's just MY opinion, so take it however you wish.)

As to 'Masters', they just make the work go faster instead of trying to keep lower levels on task. But again that's MY opinion.

The game is fun and I am actually having better luck with this village than my others (1-4). Sad but true, but that's how the ball bounces I guess.

zeiladae
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by zeiladae on Feb 12, 11 8:09 AM
Thank you for answering me, MsFireDragon. I mis-read the issues with nursing mothers, I thought you meant it made a bug in the game. Sorry about the mis-understanding.

LoriW
Clownfish
Clownfish
769 Posts

Subtle tips/tricks

[Post New]by LoriW on Feb 12, 11 8:47 PM
MsFireDragon wrote:

Tip 5: If you are low on food and have the power to grow mushrooms, do so and then have the kids collect. It will up your food and keep you going for a while. Also use the bees on the Noni bush (this will only work about 2 times though) as they will polinate it.

Also, if you use the mushroom power on the Noni bush then the number of ripe Noni fruit will increase and if you use it on an empty crop field then your crops will grow quicker.

angel2shine
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by angel2shine on Feb 12, 11 10:34 PM
Also you see a collectable, pause to freeze, under detail, right arrow click till you see a child, click on the child, put the child on the collectable, unfreeze, and or, suppose you see another collectable, or mushroom, and have more than one kid, freeze again, or don't unfreeze, find another child, place again, and both kids bring home the goods.

angel2shine
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by angel2shine on Feb 12, 11 10:48 PM
I would be tempted to select a nursing mother next time, at the beginning, because the kids ar the only ones sucessfully working, mushrooms are all you can get, also when it is time for the hollow totem, your oldest child may be an adult, that is what I'm sweating out now. I have 3 running, and 3 in the oven. lol

My oldest is 12.

[Post New]by BarbaraFish on Feb 13, 11 1:33 PM
My biggest criteria in selecting villagers at the start is their like of running. To me, this makes the biggest difference in getting off to a good start. Of the runners, i pick a child, nursing mother, and 3 other mixed sex. If they can run, they will do everything faster to make up for the fact that they have no skill.

Then i start them building, demolishing and picking noni. Use the mom to distract the yellow guys and the kid to pick stuff up.

vkbaker
Starfish
Starfish
51 Posts

[Post New]by vkbaker on Feb 19, 11 1:43 AM
I picked 3 men under 30, each with some experience in one skill, a young nursing mother with some other skill, and a girl of 11, so that when she stopped collecting at 14, the baby would be ready to go. I thought it gave me another adult in the least time, and she can work if I want the woman to have another child. Having only 3 working adults at the start is okay for me, as I'm trying to figure out what's what at the beginning in these games. By the time I've figured out a plan, the mom is ready to work or have another baby.

In addition to not picking someone who doesn't like running, I never pick someone who doesn't like learning, because this whole game is about learning. I've got one now who doesn't like learning, and he is so slow to try anything, and is fine with just sitting there, saying NO to everything! I do all the mean things to him - he's my bait for the yellow Rascal, or the guy getting stuck in the pool, or the guy I try things on when I don't know the outcome. He has learned some things, but he takes much longer for me or anyone in the game to teach.

gtagta
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by gtagta on Mar 31, 11 3:33 AM
freezing for mushrooms only works for vv 1.

max popn for vv 4?

thx!

Go to: