bfgFlounder
12,864 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Charlaine Harris: Dying for Daylight

[Post New]by bfgFlounder on Feb 12, 11 12:14 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Charlaine Harris: Dying for Daylight? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments, opinions, hints and tips in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!**

Happy gaming!

bfgFlounder

Nilosh
Clownfish
Clownfish
590 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Charlaine Harris: Dying for Daylight

[Post New]by Nilosh on Feb 12, 11 12:31 AM
What can I say, I'm a "sucker" for vamp stories, downloading it now and there goes my credit. Happy week-end to all fishies....

tuttepeever
Herring
Herring
366 Posts

[Post New]by tuttepeever on Feb 12, 11 12:36 AM
I am quite enjoying this challenging game. Waiting for the Walkthrough.

peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

[Post New]by peglegann on Feb 12, 11 1:08 AM
I did a beta on this but cannot see what they have altered. The options are very basic, voice, sound, music and a choice of full screen or wide screen. This last did not alter anything for me, still have a black bar either side. It does not bother me. I found the H0 scenes to be a little grainy and some things hard to find. The hint takes a little time to charge and there is an interesting twist for over clicking. LOL!
I like the singing when you come out to the menu. It is a reasonably easy game and no need for a walkthrough after nearly 1 hour of playing. Will leave now and clear a space for the good reviewers. A definite buy for me

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Feb 12, 11 1:27 AM
I like the game, it's diffirent. Played for 40 minutes and I am already stuck. Don't now what to do dressing the girl.

[Post New]by alvertis5706 on Feb 12, 11 1:31 AM
Anyone who's read the Sookie Stackhouse books will love this game...lots of atmosphere in the Vamp Quarter in New Orleans, and another sassy wise cracking heroine. The download was 1/2 hr for me, long compared to other DLs. I was prompted to increase my screen resolution before the game would start, and also got the "unpacking resources". (I thought maybe they were unpacking the crowbars and umbrellas). It's the usual HOG/iHog game...walk around, find things, talk to people, do a few HOG scenes. There's continuing dialogue and comments from Dahlia; all with entertaining voiceovers. It didn't seem overly difficult in the demo; didn't need a WT, nor hints in the H0 scenes. I liked it. I bought it.

_DD_
Flounder
Flounder
2,115 Posts

[Post New]by _DD_ on Feb 12, 11 1:36 AM
Just some additional comments:

The walkthrough is up now:

http://www.bigfishgames.com/blog/charlaine-harris-dying-for-daylight-walkthrough

You can use the hint outside the H0-scenes and it even gives you a choice on which task you want a hint. Excellent help.
(dobbie, if that doesn't help, better start a new thread with your question, outside the C&R-thread )

I also like the map for travelling.

Loading at the start and between scenes - or when I first clicked on the trophy card thing at bottom right! - takes ages. I almost thought the game hangs, but it always came back.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by thistle809 on Feb 12, 11 1:40 AM
I thoroughly enjoyed this when I beta tested it; and I still love it. The graphics are crisp and clear with beautiful colors, the music is really nice (and appropriate), the story is intriguing and imaginative, and it is fun - not spooky. The dialogue is well done and "sensible"; the voice acting is really good. It is a good idea to follow the dialogue, because there will be hints in what is being said. The hint system is very helpful; if you are stuck and unsure what to do next, click on the hint (bottle of blood), and you will be given choices of what you want a hint for; e.g., "What to do with ring", or "Where to find a person or thing", etc. (If you have played Deadtime Stories, you know what I mean.) Of course, in the hidden object scenes, the hint will reveal an object. You also have a journal where important notes are kept; so you can refer to them when necessary. Once you get enough done in the first location, you will have the ability to jump to other locations as they open up, simply by clicking the compass and then clicking where you want to go. You even get a little hint when you do that, because there will be a glowing border around locations where there is something to be done. The mini-games are fun and have a skip option. There is no time limit on anything and you do get to exercise your "little gray cells". This would be a solid five-star entry if it were a bit longer. I hope we see the sequel very soon.

Edited on 02/12/2011 at 8:09:14 AM PST

[Post New]by brettania on Feb 12, 11 1:52 AM
I found it runs really slow. I spent more time waiting for it to load than actually playing it

2dogsx2
Lobster
Lobster
91 Posts

[Post New]by 2dogsx2 on Feb 12, 11 2:10 AM
just love it! its a think outside the square game, not hard, just makes you think, similar in game play to dead time stories, but better, a must buy, especially after
the receint drought, replay game for sure
cheers

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Feb 12, 11 2:27 AM
I love this game. But then again I'm a "Sucker" for Vampire's. lol I really like the song and I would buy it on cd. I think the graphics are great but some of the items are to small and hard to find. But I like a challenge. It has wide screen,which is really important to me. It runs great on my computer, no problems. I think the dialogue is so funny,but I can see where it might irritate some. But I think this game has great humor. For me this is a try and buy and love it.

I'd rate this: FINE SWINE

FINE SWINE:
Great game. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.

‘ ‘
(o)

Rebeca_Lily
Catfish
Catfish
1,515 Posts

[Post New]by Rebeca_Lily on Feb 12, 11 2:48 AM
I hate vampires... , but I love creepy plots... . When I played The Sims 2, my puppets were always vampire-haters, and I never played vampire families...

But...the game is interesting, and the most important is, that you have "build-in" guide for the Adventure Mode; when you don't know what to do, just click on the Hint, then click on the subject you don't know how to solve, and - voila - you have the solution...

The developers tried to hide the objects as much as they could, behind broken glasses, and it makes the find more difficult. But the Hint system is Awesome.

Thanks, developers, thanks, BF!

Happy gaming!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Feb 12, 11 2:58 AM
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:I like the game, it's diffirent. Played for 40 minutes and I am already stuck. Don't now what to do dressing the girl.
I dressed her up with greek clothes but nothing happens ! Really don't see what I could add to finish her outfit. Will follow DD's advice and check the WT.

Otherwise I like the game, will probably spend a Pcard credit here.
No review as Goofy, as usual, made a great one !

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Feb 12, 11 3:05 AM
Oh boy ! I forgot her skirt, probably thought she looked sexier without one !! Bought the game.........

Leemo
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by Leemo on Feb 12, 11 3:21 AM
Just finished the demo and it plays really well. Great story and graphics with upbeat music. Off to buy now.

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Feb 12, 11 3:39 AM
_DD_ wrote:
You can use the hint outside the H0-scenes and it even gives you a choice on which task you want a hint. Excellent help.
(dobbie, if that doesn't help, better start a new thread with your question, outside the C&R-thread )
Thanks, i did't no.

[Post New]by Coronagold on Feb 12, 11 3:39 AM
I beta'd it earlier & thought it stunk. The voice-over is the typical stuck-up "I'm so cute it hurts" variety. About as imaginative as Hollywood. Pass.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Feb 12, 11 3:40 AM
The first thing I liked about this game was the intro music, it just made me feel happy and gave me a good feeling about the game to come .

I like the humour, the story, the voiceovers, most of the graphics and the Guillotine game is much easier to do with my arthritic hands than a similar one in another game. I did have to use a couple of hints in the hidden object scenes in order not to waste demo time and one of the items was about 1" tall so it obviously pays to hide things behind glass .

Although it didn't take long to solve I really liked the "arranging the letters" puzzle and I wish more games would include word puzzles rather than have us just shuffling tiles round using the one blank space.

Last but not least having a map to click on to navigate between locations is great, thanks developers for a good game.

Cherb

ETA

Forgot to say that the custom cursor is behaving itself .

Edited on 02/12/2011 at 3:42:34 AM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Feb 12, 11 4:08 AM
goofyduck77 wrote:This iHog is rather interesting. With the way the character was dressed and the music, it gave me the impression it was geared more towards adults...

Unless there are rap lyrics with naughty words, I'm not quite clear how music can be "geared more towards adults." Do we really have such delicate members here that this sort of warning is needed? I'm not trying to be rude here, I'm sincerely curious.

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Feb 12, 11 4:20 AM
I'm downloading now, but I must say that the "dressing the girl" comments took me aback. There was another game -- have forgotten the name -- where "dolly dress up" was a major factor in play. I didn't buy the game. I hope that's not the case here. But, it looks interesting and I'm off to try it. I have a credit burning a hole in my pocket.

Edit: Didn't make it as far as "dressing the girl," because I only played nine minutes. The hint system (which I used once, just to see how it worked) is pretty good and the graphics are...interesting. However, I found gameplay very slow, it took a long time to load, and it just wasn't for me. Guess I'll have to hold on to that credit a bit longer.

Edited on 02/12/2011 at 4:51:13 AM PST

Go to: