jr449
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

Should be charged 1/2 price for 1/2 of a game!

[Post New]by jr449 on Feb 13, 11 6:39 PM
I wish that I would have looked at the walkthrough before I purchased the game becuase it continues! Quite frankly, I purchased 1/2 of a game and should not be charged for part 2 when it comes out. To be fair, either I should have been charged 1/2 price since I only got 1/2 of a game, or when the second 1/2 of the game comes out, I should get it for FREE, since I paid for one game and only got 1/2 of a game! I wished that the entire game was put together or should have been a collectors edition game. Please do not sell anymore games such as this one becuase after playing it, it makes you feel like your not finished with the game.

Linde36
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

Re:Should be charged 1/2 price for 1/2 of a game!

[Post New]by Linde36 on Feb 13, 11 8:37 PM
I would have preferred to pay "Collector's Edition" price for the full game.
In 4 yrs of being a customer, I've never played a game that simply STOPS halfway through after 4 of 8 episodes WITHOUT ANY WARNING!

BF didn't design the game but they could at least have WARNED us in the title or somewhere in the notes...instead of having us clicking all over the site trying to figure out how to start episode 5...only to run to the forums and discover that there is no episode 5!!

Who knows how long it will take for Part II to come out. As much as I enjoyed this stellar game, I will NOT support this marketing gimmick by purchasing another 1/2 game at full price.

Edited on 02/13/2011 at 8:38:38 PM PST

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Feb 13, 11 8:48 PM
Even though this game ends with to be continued, or so I've heard, since I haven't completed it yet, it seems to me as if the game play that there is is a good length. Maybe I am slower than other players here, but it took me about about 2 hours to complete episode 1, so if there are 4 episodes total and if they each take 2 hours to complete, that is pretty good game length and I wouldn't consider it half a game, even if it ends with a to be continued. Perhaps the people that are complaining play much faster than me and that is why they feel as if it is like half a game. But I am satisfied with the game and the length so far.

rhonayotte
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by rhonayotte on Feb 13, 11 10:24 PM
For petes sake! There are a LOT of games that have "To Be Continued" at the end of them. This was well worth the cost. Seems to me some people just have to gripe about games no matter what. If they're too long, people say they are tedious and repetitious. If they end with a continuation (like many tend to do) then they gripe because they feel they didn't get their moneys worth. If the game is released as a CE they gripe because it's a CE. Then when it comes out as a SE they gripe because they feel they are missing out on something. BF doesn't force anyone to buy their games. All I know is, they have excellent customer service, a safe site where their games are tested for viruses, and a little something for everyone. If you happen to be a player who can zoom through a game that isn't BF's fault or the developers fault. Sometimes games are made into a series, some are made to come out with sequels. Get over it people! So it is to be continued...that's the way it goes. Gives us something to look forward to down the line.

hop0409
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by hop0409 on Feb 13, 11 10:27 PM
I agree that a lot of games end with "to be continued" and I'm fine with that, but I'm really on the fence about buying this game. I got through 1/2 of Chapter 2 in the trial period and by skimming the walkthrough it looks like I might have already completed over 1/2 the game. Did anyone find that the first chapter is the longest and the rest are pretty short? Because otherwise I really liked this game.

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Feb 13, 11 10:43 PM
rhonayotte wrote:For petes sake! There are a LOT of games that have "To Be Continued" at the end of them. This was well worth the cost. Seems to me some people just have to gripe about games no matter what. If they're too long, people say they are tedious and repetitious. If they end with a continuation (like many tend to do) then they gripe because they feel they didn't get their moneys worth. If the game is released as a CE they gripe because it's a CE. Then when it comes out as a SE they gripe because they feel they are missing out on something. BF doesn't force anyone to buy their games. All I know is, they have excellent customer service, a safe site where their games are tested for viruses, and a little something for everyone. If you happen to be a player who can zoom through a game that isn't BF's fault or the developers fault. Sometimes games are made into a series, some are made to come out with sequels. Get over it people! So it is to be continued...that's the way it goes. Gives us something to look forward to down the line.

I agree about the game being well worth the cost, and I don't think people should be saying they want their money back just because it ends on a cliffhanger. As you pointed out, a lot of games at BFG do. Return to Ravenhearst comes to mind, and it's been over two years and there is still no sequel for that one. Hopefully the next Dying for Daylight will come out much sooner.

I'm in episode 2 and have been playing for 3-4 hours now. This is a high quality game that is fun and entertaining. It is definitely worth the price of admission. $6.99 is not very much money to spend on an enjoyable game that keeps you busy for a few hours or more. In my case, it is more since I am a slower player, but even if this game can be completed in 3-4 hours by some of the faster players, I think it is still worth the price.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Feb 13, 11 10:48 PM
I feel that I am a pretty average player -- I think listening to the dialogue is a very important part of the game so I don't skip it. I consider an hour for each episode to be an average time. This game took me 4-5 hours. I didn't actually time it. The episodes were similar in length.

I'm amazed at the comments. Yesterday people were willing to spend twice as much for a CE that was about the same length and talking about how great it was. Today they're complaining about a game that they paid half as much for but got a much better quality game. Go figure.....
m

roxiestar74
Minnow
Minnow
290 Posts

[Post New]by roxiestar74 on Feb 13, 11 10:56 PM
hop0409 wrote:I agree that a lot of games end with "to be continued" and I'm fine with that, but I'm really on the fence about buying this game. I got through 1/2 of Chapter 2 in the trial period and by skimming the walkthrough it looks like I might have already completed over 1/2 the game. Did anyone find that the first chapter is the longest and the rest are pretty short? Because otherwise I really liked this game.

I am finding Chapter 2 to be just as long as Chapter 1, but I also seem to be a much slower player than you. It took me about 2 hours to complete Chapter 1, and I have been on Chapter 2 for about an hour and a half now and still have some goals I need to achieve. Not sure about the length of Chapters 3 and 4 though, but if they are as long as the earlier chapters, then they will probably take me 3-4 hours to complete. I take my time with games and listen to all of the dialogue, which could have to do with why it takes me longer to finish. But I think I get my money's worth that way.

mcurty wrote:

I'm amazed at the comments. Yesterday people were willing to spend twice as much for a CE that was about the same length and talking about how great it was. Today they're complaining about a game that they paid half as much for but got a much better quality game. Go figure.....
m

People always have to complain about something. They totally could have made this a CE and I am so glad they didn't since I was able to use a credit on it. It is such a good game though that I would have gladly paid $6.99 for it if I hadn't had a credit.

I was enjoying that Stray Souls CE, and probably would have bought it, but then it stopped working right during my demo (there were white patches that suddenly appeared on the screen that got in the way of my moving forward in game). Glad it happened during the demo and not after I had purchased the game. I am also glad that I decided to purchase Dying for Daylight instead, and so far it has worked right on my computer *knock on wood that it continues to.*, and I'll take you word on the fact that it is a better quality game than Stray Souls.

Edited on 02/13/2011 at 11:15:17 PM PST

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Feb 13, 11 11:47 PM
rhonayotte wrote:For petes sake! There are a LOT of games that have "To Be Continued" at the end of them. This was well worth the cost. Seems to me some people just have to gripe about games no matter what. If they're too long, people say they are tedious and repetitious. If they end with a continuation (like many tend to do) then they gripe because they feel they didn't get their moneys worth. If the game is released as a CE they gripe because it's a CE. Then when it comes out as a SE they gripe because they feel they are missing out on something. BF doesn't force anyone to buy their games. All I know is, they have excellent customer service, a safe site where their games are tested for viruses, and a little something for everyone. If you happen to be a player who can zoom through a game that isn't BF's fault or the developers fault. Sometimes games are made into a series, some are made to come out with sequels. Get over it people! So it is to be continued...that's the way it goes. Gives us something to look forward to down the line.
I agree with you!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Should be charged 1/2 price for 1/2 of a game!

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 14, 11 1:39 AM
jr449 wrote:I wish that I would have looked at the walkthrough before I purchased the game becuase it continues! Quite frankly, I purchased 1/2 of a game and should not be charged for part 2 when it comes out.

Well, yes... you should have checked the walkthrough first.
"Fools rush in where angels fear to tread" comes to mind when I read some of the posts in the games forums.

And why would you think you should only pay half the price for a game that will continue in another game, but gives you more playtime than a lot of other games I could mention. This is a full-length game for which you pay the full-length price.

Nobody puts a gun to anybody´s head and insist they buy a game. Don´t be hasty and buy before you know what you get (for that little you pay). Check out the walkthrough. See how far you have come in the 1-hour demo, and then check how much more is left. Also read the comments for the games, and then decide whether you want to buy the game or not.

ETA for spelling

Edited on 02/14/2011 at 4:51:03 AM PST

snapnhiss
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,483 Posts

[Post New]by snapnhiss on Feb 14, 11 4:02 AM
I'm glad to see some members here saying that 4 - 6 hours of game play is good value for the money.

As I've said before in another game forum that got unfairly attacked, some people would complain if you hanged them with a new rope.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Feb 14, 11 5:28 AM
mcurty wrote:I feel that I am a pretty average player -- I think listening to the dialogue is a very important part of the game so I don't skip it. I consider an hour for each episode to be an average time. This game took me 4-5 hours. I didn't actually time it. The episodes were similar in length.

m

Right on, mcurty! I, too, consider myself an average (but experienced) HOG player. I've so far just enjoyed the first episode, which took me a bit over an hour. Three more to go (all the while taking time to "smell the roses") means at least another three hours, if not more. What's wrong with that? So there's a "to be continued"--yippee! Lots of games carry that promise! I think the folks that shucked out $14 for the Stray Souls CE (apparently fraught w/glitches, BTW) might be complaining about worthiness (and shortness?) more so than Dying for Daylight. Just MHO.

[Post New]by birdcatfish on Feb 14, 11 8:57 AM
hop0409 wrote:I agree that a lot of games end with "to be continued" and I'm fine with that, but I'm really on the fence about buying this game. I got through 1/2 of Chapter 2 in the trial period and by skimming the walkthrough it looks like I might have already completed over 1/2 the game. Did anyone find that the first chapter is the longest and the rest are pretty short? Because otherwise I really liked this game.

The first chapter was definitely the longest. The last three only took me about and hour and a half total to get through. Which means the game was approx. 2 1/2 hours. If the additional chapters had been included it would have been a very satisfying game. Unfortunately, the developers are being greedy.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 14, 11 9:18 AM
birdcatfish wrote:The first chapter was definitely the longest. The last three only took me about and hour and a half total to get through. Which means the game was approx. 2 1/2 hours. If the additional chapters had been included it would have been a very satisfying game. Unfortunately, the developers are being greedy.

That would be your speed of playing. Many of us took about 4 hours to play all four episodes.

tredzwater
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by tredzwater on Feb 14, 11 10:24 AM
Valdy wrote:
birdcatfish wrote:The first chapter was definitely the longest. The last three only took me about and hour and a half total to get through. Which means the game was approx. 2 1/2 hours. If the additional chapters had been included it would have been a very satisfying game. Unfortunately, the developers are being greedy.

That would be your speed of playing. Many of us took about 4 hours to play all four episodes.

That's even faster than I played, Valdy. I agree that I have no problems with the length of the game. I like it very much.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Feb 14, 11 11:41 AM
birdcatfish wrote:
The first chapter was definitely the longest. The last three only took me about and hour and a half total to get through. Which means the game was approx. 2 1/2 hours. If the additional chapters had been included it would have been a very satisfying game. Unfortunately, the developers are being greedy[b].

Do you have any idea of the time and cost involved in making a game of this quality?

Edited on 02/14/2011 at 11:42:28 AM PST

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Feb 14, 11 12:09 PM
Well, I'd just like to congratulate those who equate a HOG/IHOG/Adventure with a TM game--setting a land-speed record, are we, for filling up some (non-existent) trophy case? mcurty's got it "spot on"--it's pretty obvious that the developers spent a lot of "blood, sweat, and tears" (and time and $ and talent) to put this game together for us $6.99 shoppers! I, for one, look forward to the next episode release!

Edited on 02/14/2011 at 12:10:36 PM PST

ScaniX
Clownfish
Clownfish
596 Posts

[Post New]by ScaniX on Feb 14, 11 12:34 PM
You did not buy 1/2 of a game. It is complete, just the story isn't finished yet.
Did you pay 1/3 for the cinema ticket of "Lord of the Rings"? Just because it only told 1/3 of the story?

MarpleLover
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,415 Posts

[Post New]by MarpleLover on Feb 14, 11 12:54 PM
You will always hear complaints from people who could have downloaded the trial version but decided for some reason to buy the game and without checking out the game forum threads and reviews.

What can you do?

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Feb 14, 11 2:01 PM
elldee2728 wrote:Well, I'd just like to congratulate those who equate a HOG/IHOG/Adventure with a TM game--setting a land-speed record, are we, for filling up some (non-existent) trophy case?

This is what I keep saying. It´s not a race; you don´t win anything by being "first". I mentioned in one thread that I compared it with eating a dinner:
Some people wolf down their dinner, while others eat slowly and savour their meal.
Of course peeps get offended when you tell them that... LOL

tredzwater wrote:That's even faster than I played, Valdy. I agree that I have no problems with the length of the game.

You know, tredzwater... I am sure I took even longer than that. But I never look at the clock to check my time, so I can´t really say how long exactly I took. I just know that I took over an hour for the first episode, and then played for a long time more before the game was finished.

MarpleLover wrote:You will always hear complaints from people who could have downloaded the trial version but decided for some reason to buy the game and without checking out the game forum threads and reviews.

What can you do?

´ello ML... long time no hear.

Edited on 02/14/2011 at 2:04:30 PM PST

Go to: