To the Developer

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Feb 18, 11 1:48 PM
Wow, that was painful. After reading such a mix of reviews I gave it a go, cause, heck, people worked hard on this...but it is really a stillted and dead game.
It looks like a new developer might have given this a go...a maybe for a first time, we'd all be proud to have said we'd created this. But there are a lot of things the developer needs to learn...quickly..before he goes under.
-the compitition is rough out there, know that going in.
- if your creating a HOG, create a HOG. that's fair for a new developer..but work on the items your asking us to find. MAke us feel like we have succeeded in something, give us a goal..find code papers? put them together and use it. Don't let us have to wait for the hint button to find everyting for us or have to click mindlessly out of frustration. A lot of us in here have "mature" eyes and not the biggest monitors in the world...remember that. If we get frustrated...we'll delelte and your done.
-find the differences----I can't speak for every one, but I always sigh deeply and painfully when these come up. Remember that and PLEASE don't put one after another...that's when I caved and deleted your game.
-story line...awful. Really is. Would you be interested in playing that story line?
-graphics- this developer has a creative and very promising graphic designer,,the artistry is interesting and well done. Watch out, dev, that you don't lose him.
-game play--there really isn't any except the minigame which needs to be rewritten to understand exactly what the final result is,...I take it that this is a translation kind of thing. For each country, rent an american (for us) student who is in your country to read through it...not a fellow countryman who knows english, it isn't the same.
-stay away from the card-board cutout animations. I used to do that kind of animation back in the 60's...Come on, I know how easy it is and it looks really silly.

-I wish you the best, developer, I really do. Look at some of the other games, especially the CE ones as they usually have been deeply deveoped. You don't have the deep pockets yet, but if you give us new ideas, nice graphics and a flowing gameplay...you'll get there.
kris

Edited on 02/18/2011 at 1:53:18 PM PST

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

Re:To the Developer

[Post New]by mcurty on Feb 18, 11 2:08 PM
Do you realize that this developer has been around quite awhile creating "pure" true adventure games? And is quite successful at it.

This is the first casual game that I have seen made by them. Casual gamers do appear to have a different mindset on what is a good game.

I like the challenging puzzles and the creativity of the way things were hidden in the H0 scenes was fun for me (except the awful office scene).

The storyline drew me into this game and it has qualities that I like. The mystery is intriguing and the gameplay is challenging and fun. This is what I think makes a quality game. Dramatic visual effects are not necessary to make a quality game.

If you would like to see awesome visual animation -- check out this developer's latest adventure games. However, it will cost more than $6.99.

Edited on 02/19/2011 at 11:38:01 PM PST

RainbowElf
Herring
Herring
308 Posts

[Post New]by RainbowElf on Feb 18, 11 7:01 PM
I agree with a lot that Kris said, this game was very painful for me to play...And I do not mean physically.

There was no real enjoyment with this game, pulling out my eyelashes one by one would of felt better!

Like Kris I sigh when a spot the difference comes up in games, especially when it is over and over again. I like puzzles, a challenge and hidden objects from a hidden object game not spot the difference.

I have excellent vision but even I was struggling to see certain objects, and trying to click on things you have to be very precise it gets silly.

When I had to find the code for the door, or the documents I thought great I get to put them together and do something with that information...But no you go through more dialogue then on to the next spot the difference scene.

This game might not of being so bad if it was an original idea but seriously how many vampire games are out there??
Also why is the vampire so pale?? He says he can walk outside in the sun so he would not be that pale, vampires look pale because they avoid the light...I know as I have light sensitive eyes so avoid as much sun as possible and look really pale.

This game I can see only been bought when it is on offer as a Daily Deal or with a credit, but not by me.

If the developer is good at making adventure games then maybe they should stick to that, or at least dabble in making some free online hidden object games to test things out.

This game well and truly sucked the life out of me.

[Post New]by dmcgrath1313 on Feb 18, 11 8:25 PM
PAINFUL....HORRIBLE...Not for me maybe im spoiled by The really good adventure HOG games...this was not for me AT ALL...so im left wasting an hour ill never get back.. to those who liked it i guess more power to you.if it was free i wouldnt have continued...so ill wait for a good game. But for those who like big adventure and looking for things in ur inventory to use and hidden objects that arent so black and ridiculous you can actually see and use them...dont waste your time like we did....see you bigger fishes in the ocean...
Dawn

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

To the Developer

[Post New]by mycatluna on Feb 18, 11 9:09 PM
kris_cross48 wrote:
-game play--there really isn't any except the minigame which needs to be rewritten to understand exactly what the final result is,...I take it that this is a translation kind of thing. For each country, rent an american (for us) student who is in your country to read through it...not a fellow countryman who knows english, it isn't the same.
kris

Lol. I'm sorry but I had to comment on your "rent an American[i]" sentence above. I busted out laughing because I imagined a nation-wide drive-thru service: "Yes, I'd like to rent an American please? Do I return him/her here or is there a drop-off location somewhere else? Do they come with a warranty?"

I am in no way making fun of you so please don't take offense, it's a good review you've provided; it's just the wording that struck me as funny and gave me the giggles.

mycatluna
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by mycatluna on Feb 18, 11 9:17 PM
RainbowElf wrote:[color=#9a0201]
Also why is the vampire so pale?? He says he can walk outside in the sun so he would not be that pale, vampires look pale because they avoid the light...I know as I have light sensitive eyes so avoid as much sun as possible and look really pale.

Eek! It almost sounds as if you know a vampire or two to be so well informed as to what their skin tone is supposed to look like! Lol. Edward Cullen from Twilight was really pale and he could go out in the sun...he just sparkled. I think the 'pale' concept helps illustrate that vampires are "undead" and "cold."

I have fair skin myself and very pale light-sensitive blue eyes-if you see me in the winter time I could easily be mistaken for a vampire so I can empathize with you! Thanks goodness my canines aren't pointy too!

Happy gaming to you!

jr449
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by jr449 on Feb 18, 11 9:22 PM
I also agree with Kris, this is one of the most painful and boring games that I have played; I really tried to like the game because I like vampire games; however, as much as I tried to like the game, I could not. I thank BF for allowing us to play for an hour so that we can find out if we like a game enough to buy it. I am sorry, but this was a delete after after an hour and a no buy for me.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Feb 19, 11 5:47 AM
hi mycatluna:
yeah, I know that was a twisted phrasing..but in my mind ( and it was a tired one at the time) I was picturing american college students taking classes in whatever country this game came from always needing a buck or two. I saw a cheap ad "need american reviewers" or some such.....
I didn't take offense, I was kinda silly...what would anyone else do to get these things edited before they hit our computers?
kris

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Feb 19, 11 5:53 AM
mccurty;
are we writing about the same game?
kris

[Post New]by WiccanWoman530 on Feb 19, 11 11:33 AM
I'm confused why anyone would find our/my country (Modern America) boring? As opposed to what... Egypt looking for a lost uncle? lol that ones been done to death. The James Patterson series is set here..many are.. and people love them.

I dunno.. I just don't get what was so bad about a HOG, with clear graphics you can get for 4.99 too as it was released on the sale day.. unless you just dislike straight HOGs.. and I think a lot if the "stupid, looks old" comments are due to that fact. Which is silly.. its like someone who hates TM games reviewing one..it won't be pretty and is pointless lol.

At any rate I will be buying Dev.. thanks for your hard work.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Feb 19, 11 11:42 PM
Ok, after completing the game, I thought I should update my comments with a review of the entire game.

I really wanted to like this game because it is by developers who make some very good true adventure games. This is the first casual game that I have seen by them. So I wanted this to be as engrossing as their other games. It was not.

The graphics were very good. The objects were cleverly hidden and made me chuckle at the creativity at times -- a carrot in a candle holder beside an orange candle -- very hard to spot. But in the office scene early in the game some items seemed impossible to spot. I do have a 24" monitor which does help in finding those small obscure items.

The story line was intriguing and captured my interest during the demo, so I had to buy. After finishing I can only say it was very cliche and predictable. Dialogue was rather stilted and sometimes not realistic to the situation.

I liked the puzzles included, but there was a lot of repeating with growing difficulty. They were fun to do but not especially difficult.

This is an old-style HOG with puzzles and FTD (STD) scenes. No interactive scenes. It is typical of the HOG games that were popular about a year ago before developers started adding in the interactive component.

The game was very short for me. I played all of the puzzles except for one. I just did not have the patience for the last slider puzzle, and I don't really like those anyway, so I skipped it. My time was 2hours 10min -- the game told me so. The game does give you statistics at the end including your time and success rate on the puzzles, so there is replay possibilities to beat your previous score.

For those who enjoy simple H0 scenes, FTD and puzzles this may be an enjoyable game. But it does not have many of the game play qualities that many of us have grown used to playing. So no matter how much I wanted to just love this game, I couldn't. I was disappointed in it.

Edited on 02/19/2011 at 11:46:11 PM PST

[Post New]by incrediblyviolet on Feb 23, 11 1:39 AM
Oh the PAIN! The MISERY! SOMEBODY shoot me NOW! EGAD!

I thought honestly, how bad could it be? But when the first sentence of a character makes me feel like I was missing something already, that should have been the clue to leave the game right there, but NO! I gave it a real demo.

First scene to find objects - what was that? Seriously, who would put that mish-mash of objects on a bench in the first place? And the point? Who knows, but I'll give it one good point - there was a crowbar! Congratulations, you have one of the essentials!

Then, the dialog between the characters was stilted, broken at best and difficult to follow to maintain any interest in a possible story line. And, before we could even start to care about either character, one is accosted and disappears.

Bring on the bad caricature of John Malkovich. If he ever saw that, he'd have a fit - I know I would - and to name the poor man Rupert? I am sooooooo sorry - Every bit of dialog from Rupert was delivered in my head as a bad impersonation of John Malkovich.

The character named Aiden, the possible bad guy, also seemed like a caricature of the Twilight hero and again I was hearing poor Robert Pattinson's voice when Aiden was speaking - please, we need a little more originality there-

Then to have the alleged bad guy call out in a bad imitation of dialog from A Streetcar Named Desire, substitute the name Sarah for the Tennessee Williams star. I almost deleted then, but I thought it might get better - oh was I wrong!

I don't mind mini-games - I look forward to them - but I would like reasonably clear instructions. And yes, like a previous reviewer, I don't like Spot the Difference scenes - and when they came back to back - I exited and deleted and will not be downloading it again ever.

So sorry this wasn't what it could have been - there is potential, it just wasn't anywhere noticeable in this game.

Just MY opinion

Edited on 02/23/2011 at 1:44:12 AM PST

helpme60
Clownfish
Clownfish
708 Posts

[Post New]by helpme60 on Feb 25, 11 2:11 PM
I think everyone else has said it all. Painful and boring. I also felt that there was too much repetition of the same kinds of mini-games. The dialogue was lame. I've got good eyesight and generally don't need to use a hint to find a hidden object, but this was just pitiful how the objects were ingrained in the pictures. If you insist on doing this, please at least make the hint helper recharge quickly.

I groaned so much through this game that my dog was licking me trying to ease my pain.

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Mar 5, 11 12:04 AM
Sorry, this one was just awful - no buy for me.

queencate
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by queencate on May 1, 11 3:41 PM
i did about 20 minutes , no buy for me either , objects are so tiny i had to use a magnify glass , no enjoyment there ...sorry i have bought well over 150 games and this was not cutting it

Go to: