cleoladycat
Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

Todays DD 19 Feb 2011 Comments and reviews

[Post New]by cleoladycat on Feb 19, 11 3:44 AM
Any comments or reviews?
I've played a little part of the game and yes the grammer and spelling are bad, but I can't spell anyway, (LOL)
Pictures nice and clear and I like the choice of untimed games. The scrolling screen also makes a change but the hint system recharges quickly and so far I've not found the items to small.
For a DD not a bad game.

Re:Todays DD 19 Feb 2011 Comments and reviews

[Post New]by juliebugs79 on Feb 19, 11 4:55 AM
I have only played 20 minutes so far but I liked this game. Graphics are excellent. Items are not too hard to find, but not too easy either. I like the way the item is in bold letters to let you know if the item is on the screen. I also like the spot the difference. I usually hate these. But this one was different. You have to move the items where they belong so the picture on the right matches the one on the left. The english was not nearly as bad as I expected from the reviews. Not perfect, certainly, but not bad enough to bother me. For $2.99, I am definitely buying this one.

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Feb 19, 11 7:27 AM
Somehow missed this when it first came out, but after
demo today, a sure buy, espcially at DD price. Graphics
not as crisp as I prefer, but doable. Like the screen scroll
feature and for someone who usually dislikes "find the
difference", found myself enjoying this type(find object
out of place on one side and match to proper placement
on the other side). Some translation issues, the mop
I was looking for was a broom, but for me just adds to
the challange. Will for sure be looking for a sequel.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Feb 19, 11 7:53 AM
I actually don't mind the translation issues that much in games - I think it challenges me a bit more. If I'm looking for a swab it can either be a mop or a cotton swab - I look for two objects for the price of one - lol.

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Feb 19, 11 8:23 AM
I like this game. I definitely think it's worth the DD. Some of the objects can be cluttered and little hard to find, but the hint button helps. Wide screen,clear graphics. I like the concept of the story. I don't mind the spelling. I'd say try this game for sure, to see if it's for you. I know it's for me.

I'd rate this: PIGLET

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog. For true lover's of these types of games

‘ ‘
(o)

cyndrap
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by cyndrap on Feb 19, 11 9:49 AM
I passed on this HOG when it first came out [see comments under the original reviews - everyone pretty much had the same reaction]
BUT
for the DD this is a buy for me
I can overlook the spelling and tiny object thing
They are not that distracting
good value and long play for the DD

jennsmom
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

[Post New]by jennsmom on Feb 19, 11 11:37 AM
I had played it before as a demo, and didn't like it, but tried it again today, because I couldn't remember if I just didn't want to pay $6,99 for it, or if I merely didn't like the game. It was the latter. I tried my best, but I don't like the scrolling screen, and although I'm not terribly fussy about spelling and grammar, I do want things to at least make sense. So, no purchase for me, not even as a DD. It's OK, tho', I'm still working on Syberia II. Maybe tomorrow will bring something better.

Dialogue
Minnow
Minnow
202 Posts

[Post New]by Dialogue on Feb 19, 11 12:50 PM
I have only demoed the game so far and really like it. I missed this little gem when it first came out but I'm glad I was able to get it today and for a very good price too.

As other people have already said, the grammar is not the best but that only adds to the game to me. Not only do I have to decipher what the object is but then I have to find it. I like that. It stretches my thinking processes. If I absolutely can't figure it out there is an excellent hint system to help me. The grammar in the dialogue is something I've gotten used to seeing in these games. It's obvious that a number of the developers are in countries other than the United States so the imperfect grammar is understandable. This doesn't detract from the game, it just adds a little foreign intrigue to it.

I like the scrolling screens and the fact that the object list changes color when the object is or is not on the screen. By moving the screen from partial gray to black I have been able to find quite a few well hidden objects.

The minigames are really nice. I thought I was getting tired of straight hidden object games but this one has renewed my interest in them. Well done, developers. I'll be looking for more of your games in the future.

One other good quality of this game is I don't have to turn the music off as I usually do because it is nice when it is playing, which isn't all the time.

I give this game 4 s out of 5. It lost a star because I'm sick of hearing about the Knights Templar. (Too much History Channel I guess)

Leanda1
Clownfish
Clownfish
513 Posts

[Post New]by Leanda1 on Feb 19, 11 12:58 PM
Well I evidently played it before because when I tried to download it came up trial is expired. I don't remember it at all (that is a good reason to stop a game before the trial is over!). Guess If I cant "re-demo" it I wont buy because there are about as many negative comments as there are positive comments. Happy Gaming Fishies!

Lean

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Feb 19, 11 1:01 PM
I don't know how I missed this game when it came out. I'm loving it so far! I've played 45 minutes of the demo and just finished chapter 1. I'm playing in relaxed mode, and it really is! What a pleasure. I like the scrolling screen and the fact that the items "gray out" when they aren't at the point you are searching. I haven't skipped any puzzles yet and am quite enjoying them. It's a definite buy for me.

Does anyone know if these developers have any other games out?

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Feb 19, 11 2:35 PM
This is a buy for me. Yes it's basically a straight HOG, but I find it a slight but pleasing cut above the rest. Before I even played the game I read the comments from Dec 9/09 and I can't believe how many people can get indignant over a few misspelled words. When I read everyone was complaining about a scrolling screen, I didn't know what to expect, then I find that all it did was move a few inches to the left and right. Big deal. It stays steady enough when one isn't scrolling. (Alright I'll admit the camera lens clicking technique on booting up and changing scenes was annoying on the eyes, but it's short-lived). It has a fun variety of mini games and incorporates classic paintings instead of strictly computer generated scenes. Nice touch. Play and learn. The other amusing complaint I read was the unappreciated use of British words which have a different meaning - some only slight. I would suggest expanding their literary experience in-between playing BF Games. I don't find it any different than realizing that a "bell" I'm looking for can be anything from the hand-rung variety, a hotel counter "dinger", something on a reindeer's harness or a fire alarm on a wall. That is what makes it challenging instead of just run-of-the-mill. I too, tend to have a preference towards the newer-styled games, but one needs something simple and fun to go to when you want a break from the type you have to keep on top of or lose the story-line from where you left off.

NavyMom90
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by NavyMom90 on Feb 19, 11 4:53 PM
I dedided to try this game today but after 20 minutes I found myself rather bored with it. Yes, there were some grammatical errors but that didn't really bother me. I enjoyed the scrolling screen and the find the difference but it still didn't hold my interest. Sorry, not a buy for me even at the DD price.

KathyD56
Guppy
Guppy
137 Posts

[Post New]by KathyD56 on Feb 19, 11 5:02 PM
I am enjoying this game, and I am glad I decided to demo it. Of course it is a straight HOG, but is a little different than most HOGs. I enjoyed putting the zigsaw pictures together, then looking for hidden objects in those 3 pictures. The scrolling screen is interesting and there are many interesting facts about the Crusades and Templars, if you don't mind reading.
The hint system is very good, pinpoints exactly where the object is and refreshes fast. The mini-games allow you to skip them, if you so desire.
I am enjoying the background music and appreciate having an untimed mode--so this is a very relaxing game, when you don't want to have to think too hard.
A nice game for the DD price, give it a try if you like HOGs.

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Feb 19, 11 5:43 PM
I liked this game and bought it within hours of release. Some fun innovations for the time. I stood up for it in spite of all the bashing, and the dev chatted with us all. It's just 2 guys in Russia and I think this was their first casual game. There was a rebuild to correct some issues but they hadn't bother me anyway. I'm always facinated by Templars history and these guys are historians and really add some good story text of interest.

Hexsus recently released is their new one, historical research again on Egypt. Graphics are top notch, artistic which I appreciate. Hex is more m3 puzzles or m7 with builder and TM elements if that's your genre. Dev is back on Hex forum answering questions and giving tips which is great getting unstuck talking to the dev. Makes me feel more involved in their games with that kind of caring by them helping you along.

I liked the scrolling screen in Jane Angel too because the list greys out when off sight so you can find a lot of lost objects on the margin between sections rather than hints. I'm one too who hate FTD but these were fun, finding and putting back in place what is missing. I thought it a wonderful game even at reg price as I'm basically ihog oriented.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Feb 19, 11 7:29 PM
Very playable, good graphics. The only thing I would complain about is the incessant phone ringing during the airport search. I turned the sound off. Well worth the DD Price. It's a buy for me

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Feb 19, 11 7:40 PM
lilyr wrote:Does anyone know if these developers have any other games out?

The same developers did Hexus (Big Fish has this game).

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Feb 19, 11 8:21 PM
Just completed the first chapter, and I really like the scrolling way of finding the objects. I don't know why I didn't know about this game, but it is a buy for me at a DD price! Thanks and developers!

puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

[Post New]by puzzledone on Feb 19, 11 8:34 PM
Maybe a lot either didn't know about, or passed by this game from the initial bashing it got in comments and reviews. Me? I liked it, it was different at the time and I think a rebuild came out quickly correcting some of the first errors. I admired these 2 guys in Russia, on little funds and great artistry and ideas this was their first offering. I thought they needed some support so bought it and had fun with it.

Sorry, but I place little attention on the grammar/spelling police here, especially demanding that words be in American English, not English they may get words for in a dictionary translation. I can overlook a lot when I'm enjoying the gameplay, but I'm a gamer not a scholar. I did so appreciate the historical research on the theme. I think they have a 3rd one coming soon. And if you are into Egypt, and building and clever matching puzzles try Hexus.

jellow10
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by jellow10 on Feb 19, 11 9:03 PM
This game has me scratching my head because it has so many things going for it and is so varied yet I don't really like it and I don't know why. I found myself wondering how much more time was left in the demo and was ready to quit when it finally ended.

But let's look at the positives:
1) I loved the intro with the old etchings and the historical background.
2) The scrolling screen threw me at first until it dawned on me that new items kept popping up on the list that necessitated going back over old ground, and I actually realized that the gray-tone differences of the words could be used as a clue to help find items.
3) I enjoyed reading the historical information.
4) There was so much variety in the puzzles.
5) The developers used actual artwork related to the time periods they were portraying.
6) A lot of thought and creative planning obviously went into this game.

So......the bottom line is I won't be buying this game--even at the DD price--because I don't see myself looking forward to playing it. But......as contrary as this sounds, I highly recommend demo-ing it because I know there are going to be fishies out there who are just going to LOVE it.

jeannemaria
Guppy
Guppy
186 Posts

[Post New]by jeannemaria on Feb 19, 11 10:29 PM
I am very glad I tried this game. I purchased the game, it is a steal at $2.99. I would have used a credit. I agree with KathyD56, puzzledone and jellow10, that it is a very nice game and a bit different to straight HOGS. I like the historical facts and the minipuzzles.
I give it
from me.

Go to: