Survival Endless: How many flags and how did you do it?

[Post New]by zombikiller on Feb 20, 11 8:13 AM
I'm at 27 flags now, havent been able to get any furthur.
I'm using the Gatling Pea and the Torchwood for the most part, but they fail me at 27 .
Has anyone gotten furthur?

BobosPwn
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

Re:Survival Endless: How many flags and how did you do it?

[Post New]by BobosPwn on Feb 20, 11 11:33 AM
http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/959255-plants-vs-zombies/faqs/57815

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892350

Might want to look at those two threads.

This could also be useful.

http://hiphotos.baidu.com/%C6%BD%D4%A8/pic/item/6f370a1070204bf7a6ef3f89.jpg

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Feb 21, 11 2:35 PM
I made it to flag 104 at least once. Go to youtube, search for Lordkalvanmidnight, then find the "PvZ Survival Endless 52 (with Cob)" video of flags 103-104. I have a lot of videos named similar to "PvZ Survival Endless 24 (Cobless)" that shows how I built up from the beginning, and made it to flag 50 without using cobs.

JAWright
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by JAWright on Feb 22, 11 9:42 AM
The highest ive made it was to 226, and used the 8 cob cannon setup.

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by festclick on Sep 19, 12 9:51 AM
538 flags and still going on game of the year edition, the only version I have. As mentioned above, this version is much harder than the original one. I am recording the game. I have tutorial videos up on you-tube on how to recover from jack accidents:

http://youtu.be/Z7e45o6q498

I am still trying to perfect my play. My big weakness is zombonis. I often have to improvise as they block planting. But I think I'm improving. I only have jack accidents on about 21% of jack levels at the moment. I've only been close to losing once in the whole game so far.

Just made it to 600 flags, so put the video up:

http://youtu.be/ZNExdvwZs_k

1000 flags! I can now deal with zombonis on the toughest levels most of the time. Put a better quality video up:

http://youtu.be/Kkdbz6KBAqo

Lost this game at 1242 flags. It was a really lucky game and I can't guarantee anyone else will get this far, no matter how well they play, because of the randomness. My next game with the same set-up I played much better but only just made 500 flags before a catastrophic sequence of jack accidents led to my eventual blood-soaked demise at the hands of many irate zombies, who were getting behind on their brain quotas. I've investigated yet more set-ups but nothing else I can find works any better. Only this set-up lets you attack every 7 seconds throughout each tough level as required to defeat gigas and jacks.

Edited on 10/25/2012 at 8:42:36 AM PST

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by festclick on Oct 25, 12 9:03 AM
If people are wondering about the best set-ups, I can save you some time with some info from my videos of survival endless in game of the year edition. The recharge time of jalapeno, cherry, doom, ice is the same, about 51 seconds. Squash recharge is 30 seconds. After firing a cob cannon, the wait for the next shot is 35 seconds. So, if you fire cobs in pairs every 7 seconds to deal with jacks and gigas and zombonis, you would need 10 cob cannons to be able to keep this up throughout the level, if you used no other attacks! For this reason alone, set-ups with many cob cannons are not viable at high numbers of flags. The only long-term safe spots for cobs are up to four at the back of the pool and another four in columns 5 and 6 on land, so you can really only have eight without having the ambush zombies chew up the ones further forward of column 4 in the pool (they do damage as they surface before they even start chewing) and imps, catapults or diggers destroying cobs anywhere else on land. In column 5 and 6 on land, the cobs are too far forward for diggers to be a problem and the imps will get thrown over them. Of course, from the recharge timings I gave you can see that the cob cycle of 35 seconds is too fast for any of the other seeds except squash to help out in every cycle, so at least every other cycle you have to rely entirely on the cobs. Therefore you'll always run out of cob attacks in the level and not be able to defend jacks, gigas and zombonis at high levels when they come non-stop. It's actually worse than this, because with many cobs you have to defend other attacks like bungee and ambush with cobs as your remaining plants on the lawn are too few to do the job. So don't waste your time with set-ups with many cobs. You won't have many for long.

One possible exception is if your 8 cob set-up can survive zombonis for a few moments without cobs, as in dtkiz set-up, which I'm currently testing.

Edited on 11/07/2012 at 2:48:59 PM PST

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by festclick on Oct 25, 12 9:39 AM
Now, which plants should you use to get far in survival endless? Again I can save you some time. The number of zombies slowly increases (though there is a lot of random variation) as the number of flags increases. So initially you might be able to take down one giga or one zomboni with gatling peas and torchwood, but once you have two gigas at once, and another two just behind them, it will get too difficult. And four zombonis at once will squash your torchwood and gatling also. And that's without considering the main disadvantage of torchwood, that the fire shots cancel the effect of ice-shroom and the slowing effect of winter melon. You really need to slow down those gigas to kill them safely, so a winter melon in each land row is a must. In fact, most of the plants can be dispensed with if they don't have an area effect (to cope with the density of zombies always increasing) and their attack can be achieved with an area-effect plant. That only leaves winter melon, cob cannon, fume-shroom and gloom-shroom as area effect attacks. Cattail is a good option because, though it has no area-effect, it has two unique attack features for a permanent lawn plant. First, it can attack anywhere on the lawn, so it is great for defending your pumpkins against diggers and imps, and second it can pop balloons so you don't have to keep a seed slot open for blover. Yes, having cattails means the balloon zombies fall on your land pumpkins and damage them (the ones over the pool just disappear, presumably they can't swim!), but that is a small price to pay for the two unique features. The only other plants worth having as permanent lawn plants are twin sunflower and umbrella. You really need umbrella against catapult zombies who will always get shots off against the back plants on your lawn before dying if they are not protected by the umbrella. Of course, they also keep off bungee attacks. However, before you put more than the recommended two back umbrellas (in one of the back two rows if you don't leave an empty back row) into your set-up, know that two gloom coverage with well-timed freeze (ice-shroom or imitator woken with coffee) will always protect from bungees even at high levels (tested up to 1000 flags). Also, the bungees are wider than one square (like gigas) and so the glooms don't both have to be one square away, one can be two squares away. You don't have to put glooms in the pool, but that is the only area-effect plant that can also affect the inner land rows.

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by festclick on Oct 25, 12 10:33 AM
Okay, so those are the best permanent lawn plants. How on earth do I afford all of these really expensive plants without running out of sun? The answer is to focus on a fast early sun economy. At the start of the game I bring:
sunflower, imitator sunflower, potato-mine, garlic, pumpkin, lily, cattail, kernel pult, melon pult, twin sunflower.
I plant one outer row of six sunflower or imitator sunflower with a garlic at the front, and then another the same, whilst defending the early attacks with the rake and potato-mine. At this point, save for enough sun to place a lily and cattail. Then put garlic on lily pads at the front of the pool when you can and save
for a melon pult in each inner land row. Then put sunflowers everywhere else in the inner row back six squares and pick up all the sun. Once you have all the sunflowers placed, get a twin sunflower where you want it in your final permanent set-up. Then get melons in all rows and kernel pults where you want
cobs, I recommend two in the pool. Get a sunflower on a lily where you want twins in the pool. Add more garlic at the front and finish the level with a thousand or two sun. There are even faster methods but this is very straightforward and doesn't require great skill. On the second level, bring:
twin sunflower, pumpkin, imitator pumpkin, cob cannon, winter melon, lily, fume, gloom, umbrella, coffee.
Your set-up should hold off the zombies, but get the two cob cannons to be safe and start building up your permanent twin sunflowers. I don't bother, but if you have a really expensive set-up you can get extra twin sunflowers that you later remove, so you can buy all the expensive plants.
I know with my set-up I'll have peak sun and my final permanent set-up by about 16 flags at the worst, well before the game gets really difficult. With the second level I get the winter melon in every row (though later I remove one in the pool for a place to put ice-shroom safely so I don't bother with that one)
and several of my eventual six permanent twin sunflowers, place four umbrellas for bungee coverage (two of which I later remove when the glooms are in place to just cover the back against catapults). I try to get two pool glooms in pumpkin and maybe a land gloom at the back for diggers. Next level,
continue with the twin sunflowers until all are in place, keep adding glooms and saving sun, and bring two instants, and that's it until you have a full set-up and peak sun. Then you practise like a demon :-)

Edited on 11/23/2012 at 7:11:41 PM PST

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by festclick on Nov 8, 12 12:06 PM
Back to eight cob set-ups. After testing dtkiz set-up, I can see a possibility for eight cobs, provided they use spikerocks in the 7th column. The idea is, you fire the cobs in pairs every 7 seconds, after which point you don't have the first cobs ready yet, so instead you use squash on an inner row and either
cherry or jalapeno, which both take 51 seconds to recharge, so will be ready every two cob cycles, and then back to cobs. This leaves one or both outer rows vulnerable for 7 seconds when you use the instants. To avoid disaster with zomboni, you need spikerock to block them temporarily, which also
works against gigas. Then you fire the next cobs as they recharge and you eliminate the outer row zombies which were missed. With dtkiz set-up, inner doom is used at each huge wave message, which eliminates the bungee threat over the front pool, and four umbrellas protect the land.
Doom also takes out the pool ambush zombies, which may pop up in the front four or five columns of the pool.

The dtkiz set-up certainly survives fairly well up to 100 flags in game of the year (and may well do better in the easier original game it was designed for).

But after that, the increasing numbers of zomboni and giga pounding on the spikerocks means they have to be regularly replaced and this is just too expensive, losing you sun on most levels. When they are missing there is a big risk of losing cob cannons which are even more expensive to replace.
And jack accident losses just can't be made up if you are losing sun on most levels. This is true even though I replaced a winter melon in the pool with twin sunflower to get four twins, otherwise the sun losses started even earlier. So this set-up isn't viable past about 200 flags.

Other many cob cannon set-ups aren't viable for similar reasons. More than eight cobs isn't safe to place as I explained earlier. With eight, you still need instants which means not being able to hit the outer rows when you do. Without spikerocks you will immediately lose whatever is planted in front
of the outer land cobs, and spikerocks are too expensive to replace past 100 flags. Once you have nothing in front of the cobs you get shielding from the winter melon slowing and your cobs get attacked. Even without jack accidents this is not viable.

Note that laddering doesn't help as you need all three instants to maintain attacks every 7 seconds and jalapeno destroys the ladders.

Edited on 11/23/2012 at 7:10:18 PM PST

[Post New]by catmeows123 on Nov 23, 12 3:11 PM
I'M lucky enough i got to round 7,000,000,000,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Post New]by davidjpearlman on Apr 21, 13 9:07 PM
Just made it to two thousand (2000) flags (and still going) with the following setup and strategy.

From left to right, by row, here's the setup:

Top row and bottom row: double sunflower, gloom shroom, Gatling pea, winter melon, cob cannon, spikerock

Second row and next to bottom row: gloom shroom, umbrella leaf, winter melon, umbrella leaf, cob cannon

Middle (pool) rows: cob cannon, another cob cannon, cattail, double sunflower, and three gloom shrooms

The plants I start each set of flags with depends on whether or not any jack in the box zombies are coming.

If no jack in the box: pumpkin, double pumpkin, cherry bomb, squash, jalapeno, coffee bean, ice shroom, doom shroom, spikeweed and spikerock

If there's a jack in the box: pumpkin, double pumpkin, cherry bomb, squash, jalapeno, coffee bean, lily pad, fume shroom, gloom shroom and doom shroom.

The basic idea is to keep the cob cannons firing as quickly as possible. Fire them in pairs, with one landing in the top two rows and the other in the bottom two rows. They can't quite keep up with the onslaught some of the time, and that's where the doom shroom comes in.

After using up all eight cob cannons, set off the doom shroom and the cherry bomb, again one of them somewhere in the top two rows, the other in the bottom two rows. There are audio clues as to the proper timing when it comes to firing the cob cannons; if there are dolphin zombies and/or jack in the box, start firing the cob cannons the instant you hear the first note of the associated music.

That way you can kill the dolphins without them eating up too much, and you can usually (but not always) destroy the jack in the box before it explodes. When you do fall prey to the jack in the box, get the lily pad down as soon as you have a pumpkin to put on top of it, and get the gloom shroom back in operation on top as quickly as possible.

Top priority is to protect the Gatling pea. If you don't have enough pumpkins to protect everything, protect it first. Save the jalapeno to kill balloon zombies that make it far enough to attack a cob cannon. That can happen if you are a little slow.

For more details email me: davidjpearlman@gmail.com

Edited on 04/21/2013 at 9:08:24 PM PST

lacard
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by lacard on May 4, 13 11:32 AM
Having watched the videos, I'm convinced the zombies you get make all the difference. Every time I play I get zombonis, chairs, and garg by the third or fourth level. It's almost impossible to set up the plays in the videos. Not sure which version I have but it's frustrating.

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by festclick on May 7, 13 2:44 PM
Lacard: the zombies do vary, but I've played with my 2-cob setup more times than I can count and never have a problem reaching the full setup and peak sun. I get zomboni by flags 11 (6th level 2nd part) usually and full setup by then and peak sun by 10-16 flags depending on which zombies appear. Zomboni earlier would be annoying but not a disaster -- just takes me another couple of flags to get peak sun. You need to have umbrellas at the back for early catapults, and four umbrellas to cover most land plants for early bungees. For early diggers, just have one column 2 gloom on each side and pumpkin the back and you're fine. 8-cobs are more difficult to set up, but the easiest is to start with 2-cob and all the glooms you need, then quickly add all the cobs as you reach 5000 sun or so from having extra sunflowers early on.

My annotated tutorial videos take you from 0 flags up to 100 flags. They're on you-tube, search for Plants vs Zombies survival endless tutorial. Several systems have tutorials taking you through the first few flags, so look out for one you like. Personally I find 2-cob much easier to play and I get further (2660 flags is my best) with that than 8-cobs, but it's your choice. The David Pearlman 8-cob setup above looks interesting, I'd like to try it when I finish my current game.

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by festclick on May 18, 13 2:42 PM
Lost my game with 2-cob setup Elegant Cob Sun Saver with added column 6 fumes at the end of each level at 2665 flags. Had a jack accident, then next level giga with 2 balloon. This is a 1 in a 1000 situation, which I've never had to play before. I replaced the pool glooms and left out jalapeno and puff-shroom, and didn't bring blover. The balloons overwhelmed my cattails and, because I'd already lost a lawnmower to 2 balloons on an earlier level, balloons got through and ate my brains. Next time, will try blover and leave out squash.

Losing has given me a chance to try out the David Pearlman 8-cob setup mentioned in this thread. It's better than any of the 8-cobs I've tried. I'm at 124 flags and 6440 sun with it.

_Angel_angel
Minnow
Minnow
284 Posts

[Post New]by _Angel_angel on May 21, 13 1:46 PM

I went from 12 to just now finishing 22 levels.

I was quite amazed and proud!

Now I realize this was nothing...

I also realize, I have NO desire to play long enough to get any higher than I just did.

2000 level? Sheesh!

Angel

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by festclick on May 22, 13 8:39 AM
Ha ha! Fair enough. I'm waiting for PvZ2 and then maybe have another game worth playing...

Just now at 278 flags and 9665 sun with the Pearlman 8-cob. Now I've got the hang of it, virtually no jack accidents or cob losses. I've had to modify my play to deal with balloons, which sometimes can move fast enough to get above your cobs if you don't use freeze during your weak supplementary attack (when doom is not recharged nor cobs). So with zomboni and balloon, I use freeze, squash and jalapeno to clear out the inner rows and slow the outer rows, especially balloons.

Then the next cob pair in column 8 will destroy the zomboni and balloons. I also like to use freeze and sunflower (in inner column 7) when there's no zomboni so I can finish with 2 extra sunflowers and no craters, because freeze is a good enough supplementary attack if there are no zomboni. It's cheaper in sun and less worry than doom, and the following cob pair in column 8 will clear out any zombies that got forward.

Pumpkin repair is only a bit of an issue, I just have to do only one repair between cob pairs and use the imitator pumpkin immediately I've fired both cobs, that timing seems to avoid imps eating the imitator before it deploys as a pumpkin. I'm concerned that by 500 flags some zombies could be eating right through pumpkins and plants, but it's no problem right now.

Edited on 05/22/2013 at 8:59:40 AM PST

festclick
Minnow
Minnow
279 Posts

[Post New]by festclick on Jun 12, 13 1:16 PM
I've just reached 1000 flags and still going strong with the Pearlman 8-cob setup in my first ever game with it. I now don't lose any cobs unless I make a bad mistake. I'm recording my play to see if there's any change. But at this stage it seems on course to be “immortal”, or as close as one can get to that, meaning that you can continue indefinitely provided you make no significant mistakes. It could still change at higher levels, and my own 2-cob system became much more difficult as I approached 2000 flags. I'll keep playing to see if I can break my record, and perhaps we'll hear from David Pearlman if he breaks his.

I really didn't think there was an immortal setup for PvZ Game of the year edition. It's amazing how the use of gatling works to save you time and the simple expedient of not having spikerock in the inner columns, so they are clear for freeze attacks, and you can afford to replace the outer spikerocks, works amazingly. But someone had to think of it, and congratulations to David Pearlman for that.

Go to: