cleoladycat
Manatee
Manatee
3,734 Posts

Todays DD 21 Feb 2011 Comments and reviews

[Post New]by cleoladycat on Feb 21, 11 12:55 AM
Any comments or reviews fishes? I have never seen so few comments on a game, have you?

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

Re:Todays DD 21 Feb 2011 Comments and reviews

[Post New]by jkuci on Feb 21, 11 1:31 AM

This game is elegant.

It has an "eternal" mode for those that don't like timed games.

Give it a try.

Woofie53
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,145 Posts

[Post New]by Woofie53 on Feb 21, 11 4:27 AM
When did the game first come out? I haven't seen it before.

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Feb 21, 11 6:50 AM
I've played this demo (in timed mode) a bunch of times since it was first released. I keep wondering if there's something I'm missing about it, or features introduced later that make it better. So I played the demo just now again. I'm really not seeing how it's worth buying to me, even at 3 bucks. But if someone owns this game and likes it, please clue me in...

And Woofie53? - it's an antique .

Edited on 02/21/2011 at 6:51:30 AM PST

EnvirEng
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by EnvirEng on Feb 21, 11 7:03 AM
I spent about 15 minutes playing and I am going to buy. I am not sure I love this game, but it is SOOOO refreshingly different. Not a H0G. Not a M3 or TM. Well, you get the idea. As a DD, it is worth it to me.

In the game, you need to splice different molecules together by clicking on one and then another of the different color. This causes a chain reaction. Click wisely and you can make the combinations you need. (Red and blue make purple.)

While it involves matching, this is nothing like an M3. The molecules are floating and move around, slowly. You can make any matches you want. Even ones that don't meet the requirements. New molecules appear after each reaction.

Graphics on the molecule screen are pretty good. Otherwise a bit cartoony. It feels a bit like an older, less sophisticated game, but I am enjoying it none the less.

I recommend that you give it a try, before deciding.

Stevihj
Clownfish
Clownfish
507 Posts

[Post New]by Stevihj on Feb 21, 11 7:50 AM
The graphics are fresh and well done. The gameplay is different as you match up one color with another to get a "chain" of another color. Flashbacks to Color Wheel classes. When you have "protein" chains you 'create' flowers. Interesting concept.

This game is a B-.

shadowandzeke
Squid
Squid
72 Posts

[Post New]by shadowandzeke on Feb 21, 11 8:29 AM
Love this game!! Played before on another site on an old computer. Never thought to look for it here when I got my new one. Bought it after trying it for a few minutes to make sure it was the one I remembered. Very soothing specially in the untimed mode. Would recommend this for anyone.

kimberph
Minnow
Minnow
236 Posts

[Post New]by kimberph on Feb 21, 11 8:43 AM
I like the game play of this, just as I did years ago when it first came out. But the story/premise is so poorly executed that I can't play it. This is functionally nothing like DNA. The plant genus/species names are insultingly dumbed down names (Wildus Girlus, seriously?). There was so much potential and opportunity here and the writers/designers threw it away. Very disappointing.

Okami
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by Okami on Feb 21, 11 10:47 AM
DNA takes you away....

This is one of those strangely addictive games that you start and find yourself 2 hours later wondering where the time has gone.

There are stupid elements, of course, the whole 'Lab Work' thing is dumb to the point that you resent the cut scenes because they pull you out of the zone. But the game itself is elegant, challenging and, as I said, strangely addictive.

[Post New]by dev_zzo on Feb 21, 11 11:11 AM
Definitely underrated game. Has a very nice gameplay idea, good old visual style and relaxing BG music...
I'm buying it. Worth the buck IMO.

[Post New]by littlegamefisher on Feb 21, 11 1:02 PM
Okami wrote:DNA takes you away....

This is one of those strangely addictive games that you start and find yourself 2 hours later wondering where the time has gone.

There are stupid elements, of course, the whole 'Lab Work' thing is dumb to the point that you resent the cut scenes because they pull you out of the zone. But the game itself is elegant, challenging and, as I said, strangely addictive.

Very well put. It's one of those simplistic games that's hypnotic and challenging. I got frustrated with the Action section, but once you complete the first round, you're free to do the untimed Eternal Mode (which doesn't have the lame story) and the Puzzle sequence which has its own challenge - and actually helps you hone your molecule-combining skills. The music is equally hypnotic (I didn't find it annoying.)

For $2.99, if you like unusual puzzle games, you can't go wrong.

kristidumplin
Manatee
Manatee
3,656 Posts

[Post New]by kristidumplin on Feb 21, 11 9:08 PM
I was a little bit curious about this game after reading some of the reviews so I decided to try it, and it's fun!! I'm not a big fan of puzzle-type games, and that's because I'm not very good at any of them. This game, however, has a game mode for just about everyone. If you like timed games, it's here. If you want to just relax and not worry about a timer, it's here. If you like to exercise the little gray cells with puzzles, it's here. I think it's a lot of fun because it's different and offers something for just about everyone who likes this particular genre. The instructions are clear and easy to understand, too. Try it - you might like it! The story is fun, too.

vezzettj
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

[Post New]by vezzettj on Feb 21, 11 9:34 PM
I'm "ehhh" on this game. I can see that it could be relaxing but if I want to zone out I'd rather play Elements (which was a DD last month! woo hoo)...

I was making decent progress on the Timed mode, on my 3rd genus (sp?) and I had encountered viruses (not so bad) and "multi color" genes (?) that you had to actively select their color to use... I was just ignoring them and getting along fine. The timed mode was challenging and I had to repeat 2 levels but mostly that was because I was still learning the game and was getting distracted trying to complete large combinations vs. completing them quickly. I probably would have liked puzzle mode but didn't get a chance to try it.

I have an abundance of games right now and this one just doesn't do it for me... maybe it is something to come back to later but I wouldn't go out of my way to find this game. Hope you all enjoy! (it is definately different!)

Go to: