Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Blue Madonna: A Carol Reed Mystery

[Post New]by gail_p on Feb 22, 11 12:44 AM
What on earth is a TGT? By the way I love your reviews.

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Feb 22, 11 12:51 AM
Hi Gail & welcome

TGT is - Tomorrow's Game Today released early for club members,

I was amazed to see this game as a soft release - I know not everyone likes them but that applies to all games and there are a lot of us who adore the CR games. I DL the moment I spotted it, it's a must for me. i have all the CR games except #2 which is not on this site & with which I thinks there may have been a problem according to reviews on other sites. In any case I only buy from BF

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Feb 22, 11 12:55 AM

I already played this on another website (hint: it's available All Access) and unfortunately, this Carol Reed isn't quite as good as the previous games by this developer, IMHO.

But, unlike some large file games here, you can try it before buying, so give it a go and see what you think.

bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Feb 22, 11 1:18 AM
Hi fishies,

I've gone ahead and stickied this thread; enjoy reviewing the game!

We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Feb 22, 11 1:46 AM
After 15 min. playing I ending the game. Didn't now what to do. I walk only in the house. This is not a game for me.
Hope that the other fishies like it. But no buy for me.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Feb 22, 11 2:25 AM
dobbiemijnboekje wrote:After 15 min. playing I ending the game. Didn't now what to do. I walk only in the house. This is not a game for me.
Hope that the other fishies like it. But no buy for me.

The hints aren't as obvious in these Carol Reed games - you have to be patient and look at everything in your environment as well as doing some deducing on your own.

Edited on 02/22/2011 at 2:25:55 AM PST

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Feb 22, 11 6:39 AM
Another thing to remember in Carol Reed games is to check your notebook constantly! It tells you when there is an unfinished task.

I agree with goofyduck - I can't understand why this was a soft release, especially since there was a great sale this weekend. Maybe I just answered my own question - they don't need a sale for gamers to buy a Carol Reed game. I played it just long enough to make sure it works on my computer, and now I'll finally be able to use one of those punch credits that have been burning a hole in my pocket.

The Carol Reed stories are old-school adventure games, with their own unique twists. It does take some getting used to, epsecially for those who are used to hints and sparkles leading them through a game. There is a walkthrough available now, so check that out if you are new to the series.

Things I like about Carol Reed stories: The notebook is fantastic. It's like a task list, but it will give detailed instructions for when you get stuck. For an example, I couldn't figure out why the game wouldn't let me got to bed, so I checked out the notebook and it told me (highlight here I need to brush my teeth before going to bed. The notebook can also be a big help when you start loosing track of what is going on. I like the fact that it won't play the game for you - it doesn't shove hot spots in your face with twinkles, you need to play your own game.

Things I don't particularly like about Carol Reed games: I rely heavily on the walkthrough, too much some times, so I have to force myself NOT too look at it. I also get irritated whenever I "talk" to people. They have several photos of each character with differeent expressions on their faces, and as you talk to them the expression will change based on what they are saying. It's not really BAD, it just takes some getting used to. Many of the characters like her best friend have been in all the games, so you get to know them after a while.

OK, off to use that credit and get busy gaming! I hope you give this game a try - you might become a Carol Reed fan, too!

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Feb 22, 11 7:44 AM
New Carol Reed mystery that sends Carol investigating a bit in the countryside with some beautiful beach scenery. I love the immersion into the locations that is created by the beautiful photographs taken by the developer. Carol does visit with friends we have seen before including Joel.

Carol Reed games have a quiet relaxing atmosphere and this one keeps up the high standards that we have come to expect. No technical issues -- everything works as it should work. Poking around did lead me to a dead end a time or two, but her journal helps out with where to go and what to do next.

The built in map makes traveling around very easy. Like her other adventure games, just exit an area and click to the next location on the map. This is an adventure game with no H0 scenes or sparklies. You are allowed to explore at your own pace.

I think of the Carol Reed games as an enjoyable way to take a virtual visit to Sweden.

And if you really get "stuck" the walk through will help you out. But I like the mental exercise of trying to solve it on my own as much as possible.

If you are new to Carol Reed games, do not "skip" the tutorial at the beginning. It is very good and helps you in getting accustomed to how these games play.

Edited on 02/22/2011 at 7:46:16 AM PST

catzzz666
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by catzzz666 on Feb 22, 11 8:15 AM
Dearest fellow fishies, could we please go back to the English language in full. Ok, someone did explain TGT..got that. 'Stumped on CR and DL and what's a 'Soft Release?

peeshee_1951
Stingray
Stingray
5,444 Posts

[Post New]by peeshee_1951 on Feb 22, 11 8:25 AM
Hi catzzz666,
So very sorry, I think the people that have been here (I'm guilty too ) forget there are people new to this forum.
CR = Carol Reed
DL = Download
Soft Release is a game that is not Tomorrow's Game Today that just kinda gets put on the daily list for new games to try out.
There is a list of acronyms somewhere in the forums, but I am really bad about finding past threads. I'm sure someone else will swim in with a link for you if you're interested
Welcome to the Pond
Peeshee

doccat5
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by doccat5 on Feb 22, 11 9:47 AM
I like these games, however, I was really ticked when the demo ended and I still have 23 minutes on the clock. This is beginning to become an issue with some of the games. Since I've played one of the previous ones I kinda knew what to expect, but I think if I can go to the trouble of downloading and playing, the least both the developers and BG is to see to it there's 60 minutes worth of demo to play. I'm a bit disgusted.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Feb 22, 11 9:56 AM
This one did say a "sample" of the game -- it did not indicate that it was 60min of play. It is the same demo that is on the developer's website.

ginro
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by ginro on Feb 22, 11 9:56 AM
Yes, please don't 'text talk' on here. Not everyone with a cell phone knows that language, let alone people with 'regular phones'. When I come to the forum, its to learn something about a game, not to try to decipher 'the written word(s)' about a game. It's like trying to swim up a creek without a paddle/fins! Thanx a bunch ~ have a beautiful day!

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Feb 22, 11 10:05 AM
doccat5 wrote:I like these games, however, I was really ticked when the demo ended and I still have 23 minutes on the clock. This is beginning to become an issue with some of the games. Since I've played one of the previous ones I kinda knew what to expect, but I think if I can go to the trouble of downloading and playing, the least both the developers and BG is to see to it there's 60 minutes worth of demo to play. I'm a bit disgusted.

I know demos are usually 60 mins but I think the problem is that with the very large file games it is not practical to have the whole game as a demo so we are given part of the game to try out. Some people new to these games will probably take the full hour anyway but if you play quickly you can easily finish early.
Whilst you may feel cheated, the alternative is what we get (or rather don't get) with most of the large file games, no demo at all, just an option to buy.
personally, I welcome the opportunity to try a game even if it is only for a short time, but that's just my opinion.
Don't let it put you off, these are very good games

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Feb 22, 11 10:18 AM

*happy dance*

I have all the Carol Reeds, I love them, its like a vacation trip for me. I will buy this without any trying of the demo.

Can't wait to see if the gardener guy is in it!

Thank you BFG for this game, but this should be listed as a TGT, just sayin'

gks1951
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by gks1951 on Feb 22, 11 10:36 AM
Thia game was badly made. My goodness,The photos of the buildings were unfeeling and had no atmosphere, as the whole game.And the people were like puppets no feeling no warmth.Not a buy for me, and If all her games are like this I'm surprised they even sell.These people can take a few hints from the art of murder, tree of life or better still syberia.

Happy gaming fishes.

Jinnare
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Jinnare on Feb 22, 11 11:43 AM
I was thrilled to find Blue Madonna as a new release this morning. I had demoed it late last year from the dev's website and have been (im)patiently waiting for it to arrive at BFG.

I suspect that it was issued as a soft release because there are enough of us Carol Reed fans out here that they knew it didn't need a lot of introduction.

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Feb 22, 11 1:11 PM
Somewhat interesting game, a little slow moving if that is your style. I find these games are hard for me to navigate and I get lost frequently. To navigate you click an arrow at the right, left or center of the screen. When indoors, some of the doors are only partly visible so you can miss them easily. I ended up going around in circles a few times looking for the front door. However, if you don't have any problems navigating it looks like a nicely done game artistically. The photos are beautiful, if a little stiff looking. I am rather slow (as I said) and I stlil had 16 minutes left when I got to the end of the demo, so it is a rather short demo despite being a 100MB download. Too bad, because you don't get far enough along to really tell if the story will be interesting or not.

LoveMyBichons
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by LoveMyBichons on Feb 22, 11 1:13 PM
I love the Carol Reed games and have them all. They are very different artistically and in the lazy way you unroll the mystery. They take patience and sometimes some real brain power, but never rely on magic or Si Fi stuff to resolve a situation, it's always humanly possible.

I believe Blue Madonna was not well received by the market and got really panned by the critics. I think this is why it's at BF so quickly after coming out.

Why is was Soft released? Hmmm...don't know. But they do that on occasion. And some times, like with MYST, it's not even announced at all.

I am thrilled it's here! My DL has now finished and guess what I'm doing instead of taxes tonight? RIGHTO

jenkast
Guppy
Guppy
144 Posts

[Post New]by jenkast on Feb 22, 11 1:15 PM
Another great installment by MDNA games!

I just love this series and have been anticipating its release here for over two months. I was so happy to see it this morning! Considering the um...interesting new releases, (with the exception of a few) this was a very welcomed breath of fresh air.

Glitch free and plays beautifully!

Go to: