autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

Carol Reed Mystery Advice For New Gamer's

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Feb 22, 11 8:09 AM
Hi All!

I have enjoyed these games for many years. But they are not for everyone. I want to write a short little piece explaining this series to those who may not know if they are interested in these mysteries.

First off, EXPLORE everything! Use that cursor on everything in the room, as you move about check out each screen, this game requires PATIENCE......if you have none this game is not for you.

Next, I would recommend this game for armchair travelers and those that have the travel bug........I am still wanting to go to Sweden just because of these games and their art. If you go through houses and various churches, businesses, ect. you will come across many pieces of art that you can click on and enjoy. Please do. This game is eye candy. The first game in the series you got to hang out in a very old church and look at a bunch of the churches art and just plain beautiful environment.

There is usually some gorgeous location in each game, that you can prowl thru. I have gone through a lovely park, a fantastic old church, Carol's Garden and many other locations. These games have a unique picture quality all their own and atmospheric music and sounds to boot. Trust me. This is not a game you will speed through. Or want to.

There are no hidden object scenes. I do not care if that is your favorite genre. You will not find them in these games so please look for a different series for your HOG fix!

When traveling about you have a notebook in these games so if you get stuck you can always check the notebook. I know the notebook is in the later games but do not remember it in the first game Remedy.

There are a total of seven games:

Remedy
Hope Springs Eternal (Not available on BFG no matter how many time I beg ,plead or whine and throw tantrums.......)
Time Stand Still
East Side Story
The Color Of Murder
Black Circle
Blue Madonna

These games do not have a frenetic pace, you may occasionally get stuck, and you really have to use the little grey cells. If you want a slow, quiet walk with an old friend down a lovely park, these games are for you. And the forums and walkthroughs will help you when and if you get stuck.

Jinnare
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

Re:Carol Reed Mystery Advice For New Gamer's

[Post New]by Jinnare on Feb 22, 11 11:26 AM
Very well said, autumn_leaf. I discovered the Carol Reed mystery series a year or so ago and am slowly (very slowly) working my way through them. They are amazing games.

abitmore
Starfish
Starfish
43 Posts

[Post New]by abitmore on Feb 22, 11 12:37 PM
What a nice posting, autumn-leaf! That was a wonderful idea. I was SO excited to see this game here and pretty fast, too! I almost bought it last weekend but decided to hold out a bit longer--glad I did! THANK YOU, BIG FISH!

I wonder what the deal is with Hope Springs Eternal... I've noticed other sites will also carry the other games but not HSE. I think it's even priced lower on the dev's website than the other games. I've spent a lot of time with the screenshots and they're GORGEOUS. Ah well, another one of life's mysteries, LOL!

Edited on 02/22/2011 at 12:47:40 PM PST

LoveMyBichons
Guppy
Guppy
100 Posts

[Post New]by LoveMyBichons on Feb 22, 11 12:55 PM
I have and love them all too. I looked all over the usual sites to either download or purchase CDs and I finally had to get HSE on CD from the developer (MDNA) in Sweden. Not sure why.

One of my favorites and one I'd recommend to a 1st time player of Carol Reed games is the Color of Murder.

I did hear Blue Madonna got badly panned and was not well received when it came out, perhaps that's why so fast to BF. Even so I would still buy it as I've enjoyed all the others and am sure, no matter if it is bad, there will be parts of this on I will as well.

Happy Gaming!

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Feb 22, 11 1:00 PM
Excellent overview of this series, autumn_leaf.

rebeccak
Squid
Squid
67 Posts

[Post New]by rebeccak on Feb 22, 11 1:06 PM
Great advice by original poster!

About Hope Springs Eternal, I finally bought it from one of the other games sites that offers it. I enjoyed it a great deal, like I do all of the Carol Reed games, and it even had skippable puzzles for those who wished to do so.

I did at first however have some trouble getting it to run on my computer, although have not had any trouble with the other MDNA games. I had tried downloading it from two different places and both times had the same troubles- it would not start running. Finally I placed the install file on my external hard drive, then attached that to an older PC, and tried installing it there. However, the 'permissions' to play the game are based on the individual computers, and my older PC had no internet capability. So then I found out that there was a way to download from the gaming site that sold me HSE, a file that conveys 'permissions' to play without needing internet hookup. Finally after a few tries I transferred that file to my older PC and ran it successfully. But I would not have gone to such trouble without being a true fan!

Edited on 02/22/2011 at 1:06:55 PM PST

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Feb 22, 11 3:11 PM

Okay, I have to admit that I am confused -- if it's not a hidden object/adventure game, what is it?

Is it something similar like the Fiction Fixers games without the hidden objects?

MEnr56

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Feb 22, 11 3:55 PM
It is an point-and-click adventure game like most of the other large file games. Similar in some ways to the Nancy Drew games. There are no hidden objects. You search and explore the environment to find clues and things you need to solve the mystery. There is an inventory and you use those things to uncover more clues to advance in the game.

You are pretty much "on your own" without a lot of "helps" and no sparklies.

I'm not familiar with Fiction Fixers, so I can't answer that question, sorry.

Edited on 02/22/2011 at 3:56:08 PM PST

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Feb 22, 11 7:01 PM
mcurty wrote:It is an point-and-click adventure game like most of the other large file games. Similar in some ways to the Nancy Drew games. There are no hidden objects. You search and explore the environment to find clues and things you need to solve the mystery. There is an inventory and you use those things to uncover more clues to advance in the game.

You are pretty much "on your own" without a lot of "helps" and no sparklies.

I'm not familiar with Fiction Fixers, so I can't answer that question, sorry.

Thank you for your response; I'm not sure if I'm ready for a game like that -- I still use walkthroughs -- sometimes alot and sometimes not so much and I did just finish the game "Cave Quest" without using any sooo.....not so sure about attempting this type of game yet.
MEnr56

autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Feb 22, 11 7:15 PM
Hi I just want to interject with a mention. Blue Madonna and most of the Carol Reed come with a built in journal that when your stuck you can just check the journal to get a verbal heads up of what to do next. Now it doesn't totally give away all the answers.....(had a peep in the walkthrough a minute ago because I didn't quite get what to do) and since there is a trial you can check it out to see if your interested. I first did Remedy a loong time ago when I was still relatively new to gaming. and I managed to get through it and I was still googly eyed from all the games. Not that these games are everyone's cup of tea.

Right now I have just gone thru the Rouk's (hope I spelled it right) which are the gorgeous weathered rocks on this beach I wandered around on. Previously I wandered through an abandoned monastery in this game and am just loving wandering through this game.......

You know I just thought of it, but it would actually be really nice if there was a locations area in the game. So when you finish the game you can go back and just wander through various locations.........

When I wandered through the factory I have to say the music and sounds were so atmospheric I was kinda scared. I was afraid something was gonna hop out of the filth and grab me!!!

I love these games......

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Feb 23, 11 1:56 AM

Hi there and thank you for your response autumn_leaf; maybe I will give it a shot and at least demo this game. I just don't want to be left totally in the dark as to what to do and where to go etc.

MEnr56

Snookie1100
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by Snookie1100 on Feb 23, 11 10:24 AM
Great review autumnleaf.........I am not new to gaming and.I do have patience, but couldn't "find my way out of a paper bag" with this one, I did the whole tutorial, etc. but maybe I'm dumber than a pile of rocks cause all I did was wander, wander, wander,,,,,,,,oh did I mention WANDER??? I do have some time left, so perhaps I'll try again. Take a deep breath, click play, another deep breath.
Once again, thanks for your review...........maybe my mind will be changed after I try again.

Just finished up my demo time.............did get a lot further than previouly, however that being said, still a no buy for me.Am I the only one, but shouldn't the interactive people been cleaned up a bit?. The girl in the tobacco shop just about put me over the edge. Someone please get her a blouse that fits and whiten her teeth. I'm usually not that critical, but certainly the developers should know better. Guess they're just trying to appeal to normal people, but for me what should be "normal hygeine" was certainly overlooked here.
Overall, guess the Carol Reed games are just not for me..............this is the only one I've tried..........to be fair perhaps should try another, then make up my mind.

Edited on 02/23/2011 at 11:28:12 AM PST

autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Feb 23, 11 3:23 PM
I do understand that she does look kinda frowsy, but that for me is the appeal of these games, they haven't been overdone to death by cosmetics. And funnily enough you know a lot of these people in the games are related in some way to the developer......just an FYI......hehehehe. the developer, I think in the last game was the villain.....(correct me if I am wrong......)

I think his budget is friends and family.....

Snookie1100
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by Snookie1100 on Feb 23, 11 9:32 PM
autumn_leaf wrote:I do understand that she does look kinda frowsy, but that for me is the appeal of these games, they haven't been overdone to death by cosmetics. And funnily enough you know a lot of these people in the games are related in some way to the developer......just an FYI......hehehehe. the developer, I think in the last game was the villain.....(correct me if I am wrong......)

I think his budget is friends and family.....

OMG--I NEVER intended to make fun of anyone...............especially if it was indeed a relative of one of the devs. I agree a more natural look is appreciated in this day of overdone beauty.............but if I have offended anyone.........PLEEEZE forgive me.

seatemple
Minnow
Minnow
230 Posts

[Post New]by seatemple on Aug 22, 13 11:36 AM
she is not the Madison Ave. type...she is a beautiful and real human being...with a GREAT smile!

Go to: