mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

Have a glitch? Can't progress in game? Helpful Hints!

[Post New]by mcurty on Feb 26, 11 11:27 AM
This game is a very linear game. That means that you must do everything in an area to progress in the game even if it may seem unimportant. In some cases even the order of things must be done correctly.

Some of the "glitches" encountered may not be glitches, but instead just the way the game was written -- to make you perform every task in an area before continuing.

A walkthrough was a must for me to refer to because some things just didn't make sense to me or were illogical. An internet search will get you more walkthroughs and some may make more sense to you than others, so you may want to try more than one.

When you are stuck and can't progress, check that WT line by line to make sure you have completed all tasks successfully. Be aware of what is in your inventory and right-click on it to look at it close up -- sometimes clues are found there.

(This is not to say the game does not have glitches -- it apparently does. I just have not encountered any yet in my game and hope I can help others progress successfully.)

Please add any other helpful hints to help people with this game because I think it is a very good game and would like to share the enjoyment.

Tip: Fast clicking through dialogue may cause you to miss getting inventory items that you should get during that dialogue.

Edited on 02/27/2011 at 7:27:43 AM PST

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

Re:Have a glitch? Can't progress in game? Helpful Hints!

[Post New]by mcurty on Feb 26, 11 7:47 PM
I did finish the entire game with no "glitches", places where I couldn't advance, etc. One time, in Gibraltor, I thought the game was going to lock up my machine. The sound kept repeating and screen was stuck -- no cursor movement. When I got my task manager to come up, I found that an auto-update program had kicked on in the background. After I stopped that program, I shut down CM:TOL and then restarted it. It played fine after that.

Things I found that can cause problems:
If you click too fast through the dialogue you can miss important things that you need to advance. Make sure that you let all dialogue at least show on the screen.

Sometimes you need to do one little thing before you can do something else. There are little cues or triggers throughout the game.

The native and fruit -- I couldn't get the fruits to go in correctly. I had seen the drawing and thought I knew how to do it but it wouldn't work. I talked to the count -- not a lot of help. Talked to native -- not a lot of help. Had to go back and talk to the count a 2nd time before I could give coins to the native and get info that I needed. All that had to be done before the fruits would feed properly. So just looking at the WT and feeding fruit according to the WT will not work until you've done all the conversations needed.

As I said above, I use 2 different walk throughs at times. To turn on the water, I turned the lever to the right or back as stated for the water to flow. It didn't work -- I was frustrated. I looked at another WT and it said that you need to turn it to the right or back 2 times -- that worked because I had had it all the way to the left or forward. Sometimes what makes sense to one person is hard to understand to another especially when you tried things out and your game controls/puzzles are not set to the original position.

By using a walkthrough, I don't mean getting it out and reading it line by line as you play - not fun. I mean play the game, if you can't figure out what to do next, where to go, can't make something work right; then, get out the WT and look through that area to see either what to do next or check that you have done everything needed to progress. Sometimes I wander around trying out everything, trying all inventory 'til I admit "defeat" and drag out WT.

Right-clicking and examining inventory items was very important. But I did not find that reading documents really triggered anything except my memory.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Feb 26, 11 7:48 PM
If your game doesn't run smoothly, there are graphic controls that may help.

Select Options -- unselect one or both of these:
background animation
shadow & SFX.
Lower with the slider the level of detail.
All of those adjustments may make your game play better.

Options: Gamma Correction -- brightens the screen if you find it is too dark.

This is a really great game -- I loved it -- the story was very good. I hope more of you can enjoy playing this game.

ETA: I am reading a lot of problems with dialogue not being saved -- are you fast clicking through the dialogue instead of allowing it to show on the screen? This may be causing a problem -- don't know, just a maybe???

Edited on 02/26/2011 at 7:55:50 PM PST

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Feb 28, 11 11:12 AM
Use the ? in the lower right corner of the screen to make sure you have explored every area of a screen.

mcurty
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,991 Posts

[Post New]by mcurty on Mar 1, 11 10:13 AM
Glitches::: I did get my game to also refuse to give inventory item -- chronometer.
I was "fast clicking" through the dialogue and at the end the chronometer did not transfer to my inventory and the people stood there doing nothing -- no cut scene. Game would not progress.

I could not progress with an earlier save at all -- same problem. The dialogue in my earlier saves in Venice was also corrupted.

I exited the game, started it back up from an earlier save in Brittany where the dialogue had recorded correctly in the notebook. This time the game worked correctly.

For me, the "fast clicking"-- not allowing dialogue to appear on the screen -- caused the game problem. You can check by looking at the dialogue in Notebook. If it is not recorded correctly, you have a problem. You need to exit the game and restart from a point where the dialogue is correct. Will this work for other glitches -- pencil, native -- I don't know??

Edited on 03/05/2011 at 10:25:25 PM PST

Go to: