bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Matches and Matrimony: A Pride and Prejudice Tale

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Mar 4, 11 1:14 AM
Hey Fishies! What do you think of Matches and Matrimony: A Pride and Prejudice Tale? We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Matches and Matrimony: A Pride and Prejudice Tale

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Mar 4, 11 1:41 AM
Hi all.

I won't be surprise if I am the only one to purchase this game & expect to read lots of negative comments.

So we have a character who has to build up personal attributes ( to may be find a husband? ) and en with one of 9 posible out comes.

There is no fast action here, just loads and loads and loads and loads of reading.

There is some interactive conversation which will affect your relationships one way or another.

Each week you pick 5 activities that will help you gain skills such as sensibility, wit and willpower etc & counter this with loosing energy, then at the week end you have a social interaction, to round off with.

The art work is a plain drawn back ground with paper characters that move across the screen on paper gliders.

Oh and did I mention loads & loads & loads of dialogue?

So if this game is so bad why did I buy it ? LOL

It is soooo reminiscent of one of my favourite games from years ago, Princess Maker 2, from a Japanese studio. The graphics are so similar, the game play so similar, I would not be surprised if the same company has revamped the old game into this one.

The old game will not run on my computer now, I think it is that old it is MSDOS, so I am thrilled to bits to have it back in this form, even with all the dialogue.

I bet I am the only one who likes it LOL.

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Matches and Matrimony: A Pride and Prejudice Tale

[Post New]by adventure777 on Mar 4, 11 1:58 AM
I like it too but only because it is like re-reading one of my fave books Pride and Prejudice. It is for the fans of Austen only, I have to agree.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Mar 4, 11 2:55 AM

I bought this from another vender on valentine's day and I've had several hours of fun with it.

But I actually LIKE visual novel games with multiple endings and I've read several Jane Austen books so, those qualities probably make me a very rare fishie.

Leemo
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by Leemo on Mar 4, 11 3:17 AM
I've just bought the game and enjoy the reading, being a book nut myself. Feels a little like REALLY trying to love / hate Mr Darcy .

Eisteepfirsich
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,584 Posts

[Post New]by Eisteepfirsich on Mar 4, 11 4:57 AM
I am not a big fan from book novels but that isn`t why I wouldn`t buy this game - the reason is, that it has too much dialogues for me and very less activities. No buy for me, but I wish everyone "Happy gaming"

yourshannygirl
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,367 Posts

[Post New]by yourshannygirl on Mar 4, 11 4:59 AM
I am a HUGE fan of all things Jane Austen! So I will definitely try this game. I am tempted to buy this game without trying it only because I ANYTHING P&P ! LOL! I also know better than to purchase a game without trying it first, LOL! I will try it tonight after work or this weekend! I am glad to see a Jane Austen themed game especially something P&P although I am disappointed it's not an IHOG but I guess our IHOG makers are too busy making dark and dreary games to have actually read a Jane Austen book and tried to have made a Jane Austen IHOG around that, NO? Hopefully this post will challenge one of them enough to take on that challenge (hint, hint)! Well, I am just kidding around anyway...but truthfully! I would love to see a P&P IHOG one day, myself!
Nonetheless, I will try this game, though!

Edited on 03/04/2011 at 5:40:41 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Mar 4, 11 5:52 AM
The game is engaging enough, and I rather like having to choose the name and activities for one of the daughters. The game mainly plays over the weekend, which is a shame. It gets repetitive after a while.

I find there is a little too much conversation and not enough gameplay, so I will give it a miss.

Pearly11
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,429 Posts

[Post New]by Pearly11 on Mar 4, 11 6:38 AM
An intriguing game ;-) it reminds me of Cute Knight, only it's not as cartoony. I like the theme, even if they got the era wrong lol. They keep on mentioning what was expected of a woman in 'Victorian Times' but the set is actually in Napoleonic or Biedermeyer times. I doubt Mr Benett would have taken to wear a wig in Victorian times. But I forgive the developing team for this little hickup unless it was intended for some reason I can't understand.

I totally love the music, very relaxing. There is indeed a LOT of reading involved but I don't mind that so much as quite a lot of it is based on the Austen novel and with the rest of the reading they managed to wrap a lot of educational stuff into some very entertaining writing. This on its own is a great skill to have.

I love the fact that the game offers so many different outcomes (which inevitably increases the replay-value and that is always a plus point for me) but I like even more that it enables one to control the personae of 'Pearly Benett' (that's what I called her ) depending on what activities are chosen for each week. It wouldn't surprise me if Pearly Benett in the first run-through turns out to be seriously sarcastic with a warped sense of humour. So in other words: Like myself .

So in a bizarre way the game may actually teach me something about myself, I like that little bit of psychological aspect to the game.

It's something totally different for a change and I will really enjoy not having to find items or rush about to achieve set goals. So jojo_the_joyful is wrong where I am concerned, I really like it

Congratulations to the developing team

Edited on 03/04/2011 at 9:41:57 AM PST

oldwife7
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by oldwife7 on Mar 4, 11 6:59 AM
sorry but I hated this games, if they give a prize for boring this game should get it, sorry.

Lavender101
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by Lavender101 on Mar 4, 11 7:46 AM
Yay! I'm happy to see this here. I tried it on another site, but I will definately buy it here with my coupon. I love these slow, unexciting, monotonous kinds of games!

[Post New]by Marinersfan04 on Mar 4, 11 8:31 AM
I've played half of the demo and it's a Buy for me! I love Jane Austen's books, the music, the graphics, and everything about this game. It ties together into a relaxing, pleasant game that is indeed a nice change of pace. Kudos to the devs and thanks, BFG!

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Mar 4, 11 9:04 AM
I am so happy to be proved wrong LOL.

It is such a charming story.

I am determined to marry Mr Darcy. So far I have been a spinster twice & the vickas wife once & that was due to lack of will power.

Even the blond guy at the end will be an improvement LOL

Pearly11
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,429 Posts

[Post New]by Pearly11 on Mar 4, 11 9:36 AM
jojo_the_joyful wrote:I am so happy to be proved wrong LOL.

It is such a charming story.

I am determined to marry Mr Darcy. So far I have been a spinster twice & the vickas wife once & that was due to lack of will power.

Even the blond guy at the end will be an improvement LOL

HEY!!! Keep your mitts of my Mr Darcy I just had to cruise a lot to avoid a marriage to the intolerable Mr Collins and because of all that cruising I eventually ended up an old spinster :p

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Mar 4, 11 10:38 AM
This really isn't a game but an interactive novel.
So for those that love Austen will like this, or the more romantic among us. May I be sexist and suggest that this would be more for our female fishies.

When this comes up for a DD I will pick it up, as the interactive part for me could have been more inventive.

I do like that this is a bit different and I do like interactive novels.

Edited on 03/04/2011 at 10:39:58 AM PST

autumn_leaf
Shark
Shark
12,267 Posts

[Post New]by autumn_leaf on Mar 4, 11 11:03 AM
Not really sexist.......I kinda don't see many fellas going for this unless they dig Jane Austen's books.......I mean this is essentially a story about a girl ending up with a man........not too many men are willing to play a female character trying to catch a man...... ....So unless they like her books I can see most men looking at this game and running in the opposite direction screaming ..........I could be wrong......but I challenge an actual fella to come in and put down his two cents as to WHY he WOULD buy this game..........

Tailteann
Clownfish
Clownfish
584 Posts

[Post New]by Tailteann on Mar 4, 11 11:28 AM
omg---a jANE Austen novel-based adventure-type game! Who'd have thunk developers would make something like this! I'm so glad they did. Downloading trail now.

Saelihnne
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

[Post New]by Saelihnne on Mar 4, 11 11:30 AM
I thought this game was very charming and found myself laughing out loud after several dialogues. Austen fans will adore this. Darcy however was not to be and I ended up with the vicar.

Pearly11
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,429 Posts

[Post New]by Pearly11 on Mar 4, 11 12:25 PM
gingergal wrote:This really isn't a game but an interactive novel.
So for those that love Austen will like this, or the more romantic among us. May I be sexist and suggest that this would be more for our female fishies.When this comes up for a DD I will pick it up, as the interactive part for me could have been more inventive.

I do like that this is a bit different and I do like interactive novels.

In this case I have no objection with you being sexist , but perhaps if the developers read your valid comment they will launch a game like this one focussing on the male customers in our midst.

I bought the game after the one hour trial and I am totally happy with my purchase . It's great fun

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on Mar 4, 11 12:45 PM
This game is cute and it is different. I'm sure it is a buy for serious Jane Austin fans. I played to the end of my hour, but I didn't find enough to do to justify a $6.99 credit, I might buy it on a very good sale or if I was desperate to fill a punch card. It is very repetetive.

Go to: