MomEdie
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

Chapter 5, board 6

[Post New]by MomEdie on Mar 4, 11 4:03 PM
The fishies that think this game is too easy and boring must not have gone beyond the first, possibly second, chapter. The games definitely get harder as you continue. In Chapter 5, the 6th game has me absolutely stumped; I wonder if it is even possible to do. Has anyone completed it, have words of advice, so I keep trying (or simply give up and junk it)? I do like the story, graphics, etc., and I'd much prefer to go on but even in the untimed mode that 6th board in Ch 5 is ridiculous!

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

Re:Chapter 5, board 6

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Mar 4, 11 6:25 PM
Welcome to the pond, MomEdie

I finished it 3 months ago when it came out on another site, but I'm also a hardcore Jewel Quest junkie who has the entire series and the others are quite a bit harder than Sleepless Star in my experience. Is the board you're asking about the disarm trap board that has winglike shapes going along the sides, or is it one of the others? I can't remember what board it is off the top of my head, but I could probably give you some advice if you can give me a few more details of which board type it is, and how it's shaped.

MomEdie
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by MomEdie on Mar 5, 11 5:53 AM
Ch 5, board 6 is a square board with a few empty 'dead' spaces at top and bottom. The challenge is 4 teal-colored gobblers that rise from the bottom; when they reach the top, the game is forfeited. There are grey tiles descending; matching 3 gives you a 'special' to disarm the gobblers; by disarming the gobbler, it falls back to the bottom to rise again. The real problems are: slow response to match-3s because none can be made until the board is finished dropping new tiles, those dead columns across which no matches can be made, the luck (or lack of it) in falling grey tiles, and no way to bypass that particular board. How much better it would be if there were a 'detour' by playing those side games along the path, perhaps adding more time and effort but skipping the worst (somewhat like the optional 'SKIP' button in many HOG puzzle scenes). Congratulations on completing this dreadful game board. Any words of wisdom you can give would be most welcome! I play these games for entertainment and relaxation, not for excessive stress, thank you.

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Mar 5, 11 8:51 PM
Hi MomEdie, I think I figured it out since I bought the BF version and have been playing most of the day. The board you're asking about is actually number 4 in chapter 5. The strategy that worked for me was to NOT worry about getting hero jewels (grey tiles) for specials because the enemies (gobblers) have you outnumbered on this board so you really can't get enough specials to control them all. I just worked on clearing the bottom most 2 rows of the board underneath those L shaped cutouts by matching out what I could right away, then dragging more jewels into the empty spaces to clear out the rest. Meanwhile, I just let the enemies climb their way up the board and didn't let myself get psyched out by the warning ticking noise. The entire upper half of the board isn't blocked by anything so the cascades took care of most of it for me and there were just a few odd matches here and there left to make at the end. Untimed mode does not help on the evasion boards because these are all about being fast. Hope that helps.

I noticed that BF's version of this game runs a hair faster on my 'puter than the collector's edition that I used to have, but it still runs slow compared to previous JQ games. Seems to be something with the game programming itself...

MomEdie
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

[Post New]by MomEdie on Mar 6, 11 9:27 AM
Right: yes, it is board 4 that was giving me so much trouble (can't blame an old Math teacher for messing up numbers, can you???) -- I'd tried it at least 2 dozen times and was not at all happy. So THANK YOU, THANK YOU for the strategy hint, which of course worked just fine. I suppose I had some kind of mental block, even though I'd tried various strategies. I really do appreciate your kind help!!
[/i]And thank you BFG for this forum, too.........

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Mar 6, 11 4:56 PM
You're most welcome; glad it worked.

grannnydee
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by grannnydee on Mar 9, 11 6:16 PM
I just finished the game.it was very hard.the best thing to do is play the amulet that allows infinite time , when you get to the invader boards, start making matches at the top, this allows the things to drop and the smiley stone come faster. try and get as many as you can. use them as as necessary to stop the invaders from rising.the fact the the game is untimed helps a lot. you may have to play many games. but it can be done. just start at ther top of the invader screens. hope this helps. good luck

FeyKina
Minnow
Minnow
222 Posts

[Post New]by FeyKina on May 8, 11 1:02 AM
Your game help was a real boon, this level almost had me quitting as well!

earl1
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
6 Posts

Chapter 5, board 6

[Post New]by earl1 on May 13, 11 5:09 PM
MomEdie wrote:The fishies that think this game is too easy and boring must not have gone beyond the first, possibly second, chapter. The games definitely get harder as you continue. In Chapter 5, the 6th game has me absolutely stumped; I wonder if it is even possible to do. Has anyone completed it, have words of advice, so I keep trying (or simply give up and junk it)? I do like the story, graphics, etc., and I'd much prefer to go on but even in the untimed mode that 6th board in Ch 5 is ridiculous!

Re: board 11 disarm trap board

[Post New]by roadplug on Jun 28, 11 1:53 PM
I played all the levels chappy 1-6 with the endless time, but now i am trying to go through and complete them all so they will be gold. which i have done, all but board 11 which i have played over a hundred times I win most of the time, but cant do it fast enough to get a gold star. Any advice?

I love all of the games and enjoy the trapped monkeys best. love the sound effects

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

Re: board 11 disarm trap board

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jun 28, 11 7:18 PM
roadplug wrote:I played all the levels chappy 1-6 with the endless time, but now i am trying to go through and complete them all so they will be gold. which i have done, all but board 11 which i have played over a hundred times I win most of the time, but cant do it fast enough to get a gold star. Any advice?

I love all of the games and enjoy the trapped monkeys best. love the sound effects

Welcome to the pond, roadplug

If you mean Chapter 5, board 11, I posted how I got 5 stars on it in the topmost thread of this forum (the "welcome" thread tagged with the orange "i") in hidden text. I think it's the third post in it. If you are trying to get the 5 stars unassisted (without using any artifacts), it *is* still possible to get 5 stars on this board, but you have to hope for a very good board layout and a lot of cascades. Enjoy!

[Post New]by roadplug on Jun 30, 11 5:22 PM
thanks for the reply and warm welcome. I found your post. I'm still working on that board 11. I will not give up!

Re:Chapter 5, board 11

[Post New]by roadplug on Jul 4, 11 8:38 AM
yes! i finally beat it! i played all of chappy 7 and used the artifact from that to win 6 board 11 - but now what - is that the end? Where do you use the last artifact (s)?

SynthpopAddict
Manatee
Manatee
3,966 Posts

[Post New]by SynthpopAddict on Jul 4, 11 10:27 AM
Hi roadplug, if you have a chapter 7 (epilogue) and finished all of that with gold stars too, there isn't anything else to do once you have the gold rank on all the chapters except improve your high scores on the boards, or try to go through the game unassisted (no artifacts). The bonus amulet you get in the CE version does make it easier to get a high score as it gives you 1.5x scoring all the time.

Go to: