1_of_5
Marlin
Marlin
8,238 Posts

Re:Feel ripped off with the latest CE

[Post New]by 1_of_5 on Mar 5, 11 5:27 AM
That's a generic description for CEs. What is included changes with each one. It would be nice if when they wrote the description for the game page they did specifics but they don't.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Mar 5, 11 6:18 AM
The description offered for Margrave shows:

The Collector’s Edition includes:
Bonus gameplay
In-game Strategy Guide
Breathtaking artwork
Incredible puzzles

So, you're saying there is no additional artwork or puzzles, other than what is in the bonus play and/or Strategy Guide and regular game play?

I belive if that were the case, I would ask for a refund.

1_of_5
Marlin
Marlin
8,238 Posts

[Post New]by 1_of_5 on Mar 5, 11 6:42 AM
I started a thread in its forum called "the bonus stuff is" and a mod and others posted in it answering the question.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Mar 5, 11 6:45 AM
Bonus gameplay
In-game Strategy Guide
Breathtaking artwork
Incredible puzzles

If these are the extras that make this game a CE, I am curious as to how they will leave out the Breathtaking artwork and Incredible puzzles from the Standard Edition.

When the SE is released without the Breathtaking artwork that is in the CE maybe we will see a whole game of concept art or unfinished drawings.

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Mar 5, 11 6:51 AM
I suspect the SE will no doubt EXCLUDE Bonus Gameplay and the In-Game Strategy Guide, but will INCLUDE Mediocre Artwork and Marginally-Credible Puzzles!

(I usually frown upon threads that belittle and scorn CEs, but this one probably does deserve a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!)

Edited on 03/05/2011 at 6:54:01 AM PST

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Mar 5, 11 6:56 AM
LizzieK wrote:The Collector’s Edition includes:
Bonus gameplay
In-game Strategy Guide
Breathtaking artwork
Incredible puzzles

If these are the extras that make this game a CE, I am curious as to how they will leave out the Breathtaking artwork and Incredible puzzles from the Standard Edition.

When the SE is released without the Breathtaking artwork that is in the CE maybe we will see a whole game of concept art or unfinished drawings.

LOL Lizzie! I may have to demo the SE just to have a look!

@CasualGran - I don't blame you for being upset. Like I said. I would request a refund. Customer Service is good about these things.

Edited on 03/05/2011 at 6:59:07 AM PST

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Mar 5, 11 8:36 AM
CasualGran, some excellent posts here. I do hope that
others who agree with you will also make their feelings
known to BFG.

textrekkie
Shark
Shark
13,265 Posts

[Post New]by textrekkie on Mar 5, 11 8:41 AM
Have to say I agree with you, CasualGran about this being elevated to CE, as I posted this in the forum thread:

I must also agree with CasualGran--I demoed this game and didn't see the 'amazing' production values synonomous with CE's, especially when considering games like Midnight Mysteries Salem Witch Trials, Nightfall Mysteries Asylum Conspiracies and Nightmare Adventures Witches Prison were not Collector's Editions.

Edited on 03/05/2011 at 8:42:03 AM PST

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Mar 5, 11 9:25 AM
CasualGran wrote:
textrekkie wrote:The description offered for Margrave shows:

Bonus gameplay
In-game Strategy Guide
Breathtaking artwork
Incredible puzzles

So, you're saying there is no additional artwork or puzzles, other than what is in the bonus play and/or Strategy Guide and regular game play?

I belive if that were the case, I would ask for a refund.

There is no conceptart, There are no wallpapers. Not that I care so much for them, frankly not at all, but in my experience of CE's (and I've bought them all) they should be there. Period.

This game, IMO, has been made a CE while it was not, while it didn't have the standards for it. I'm sensing money-grabbing here and I'm not pleased.

So, CasualGran, based on the general "help" description of CEs --vs. the description of the individual CE under discussion--you feel that you are entitled to wallpapers and concept art in all CEs?

I can't take any advertising seriously that continously relies on such words as "unique, exciting, beautiful," and other cliches droned repeatedly. Let's face it, there are a lot of strange games around here.

djrum525
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,389 Posts

[Post New]by djrum525 on Mar 5, 11 9:39 AM
I have to agree that it seems like most of the regular games have diminished in quality with the introduction of CEs (unless it's the SE of a CE).
Who determines whether a game is released as a CE or SE? Is it BFG or the game developers themselves?

edited for incorrect wording

Edited on 03/05/2011 at 10:15:21 AM PST

haggishead
Shark
Shark
13,780 Posts

[Post New]by haggishead on Mar 5, 11 9:40 AM
I have to agree with you Pepper about strange games. I would certainly include this latest Margrave game in that category...... I did not really enjoy it at all. Much preferred the previous games.

bamlink
Guppy
Guppy
196 Posts

[Post New]by bamlink on Mar 5, 11 9:41 AM
I don't understand why people are complaining.

I've read the other CE threads and in each one, BFG members jump in to crow about how they are happy to pay more for a game, how they want to support the developers, how they want BFG to make more money, how they feel oh, so, special having a bit more play than the lower (paying) class, how they need to have immediate access to new games. The message has clearly been heard by the company: the price of casual games can be raised (slowly) with little opposition.

Did you really think the CE's would continue to be so special and different? BFG is just using the CE concept to move the price point to $13.99 for people who want access to current games. If you can't wait the current 5-6 weeks, perhaps eventually to be 5-6 months, then you'll pay the price, bonuses or no bonuses. Yeah, they'll throw in the strategy guide which is available for free elsewhere, but what the hay, have to keep the elite mystique going. Welcome to the new normal, created by the BFG fan base.

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Mar 5, 11 9:52 AM
CasualGran wrote:Yes, Pepper010, there are indeed a lot of strange games around here but... BF sets CE's apart from regular games for a number of clearly described reasons. Reasons BF specifally mentions in the official Q&A.

It's my opinion that they should give what they promise. We pay double the price of a regular game. We're indeed entitled to receive what we've paid for.

So, what is the difference between a SE and a CE to you? When are you willing to pay double the regular game price?

Just curious.

Oh, I wouldn't attempt to try and answer this question. The whiplash from your complaints about "whiners" ---those who have an issue or concern--yesterday and this thread is just too great.

But thanks for the LOL. BTW, I don't buy CEs, when I do (rarely these days) for wallpaper, concept art, music tidbits, etc. I only buy for extended gameplay. But hey, that's just one opinion.

Bye now! Happy gaming! Enjoy your BFG membership!

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Mar 5, 11 10:10 AM
A little history from a moderator's post when CE were first being released.

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/65193.page

Re:Collector’s Edition Frequently Asked Questions
by bfgErie on Nov 20, 09 10:07 PM

Will you offer more games with an optional Collector’s Edition version in the future?
Perhaps, but the game must warrant it and we will be very selective if we do. We would not consider this for most games, but when a great game comes along with amazing production values, we will consider adding bonus features to it and selling a separate Collector’s Edition.

When will the normal $6.99 version be available?
Within 2 to 4 weeks of the launch of the Collector’s Edition.

Why didn’t BFG launch the normal version when the Collector’s Edition was launched?
The Collector’s Edition is a separate product with bonus features and is a Game Club Member benefit. Launching it first gives our most avid game players early access to the special experience. Collector’s Edition is only available to Game Club members.

Edited on 03/05/2011 at 10:13:04 AM PST

Pepper010
Stingray
Stingray
4,977 Posts

[Post New]by Pepper010 on Mar 5, 11 10:14 AM
Thanks, LizzieK. Many of us remember those assurances very well. And believed 'em!

dfringer
Clownfish
Clownfish
864 Posts

[Post New]by dfringer on Mar 5, 11 10:19 AM
pepper010 said.

Oh, I wouldn't attempt to try and answer this question. The whiplash from your complaints about "whiners" ---those who have an issue or concern--yesterday and this thread is just too great.

go back and read casualgrans posts in the other threads. I never once read where she called anyone a whiner. If I'm wrong, let me know.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Mar 5, 11 10:20 AM
Someone asked earlier in this topic, who decides what games are released as Collector's Editions here on BFG.

Here is a post from Picman about the game Dark Tales: Edgar Allan Poe Murders in the Rue Morgue Collector's Edition that sheds some light on that question.

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/60/69489.page#1299032

This game is exclusive to BFG and BFG paid the developer to build the extra features for the Collector's Edition. The game as it was originally designed without the extra's will be available in a few weeks at the normal price.

Here is another quote from Picman about BFG and the developers roll in making the CE games.

http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/85979.page#1580547

CE's are based on agreements between developers and BFG and then have to hit a certain beta survey score threshold to be eligible.

Edited on 03/05/2011 at 10:25:29 AM PST

lifetree
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by lifetree on Mar 5, 11 10:21 AM
"Oh, I wouldn't attempt to try and answer this question. The whiplash from your complaints about "whiners" ---those who have an issue or concern--yesterday and this thread is just too great.

But thanks for the LOL. BTW, I don't buy CEs, when I do (rarely these days) for wallpaper, concept art, music tidbits, etc. I only buy for extended gameplay. But hey, that's just one opinion.

Bye now! Happy gaming! Enjoy your BFG membership! "

@Pepper010: You're absolutely right! Thanks for writing EXACTLY how I feel and what I think about this whiplash.

And @bamlink:

"I don't understand why people are complaining.

I've read the other CE threads and in each one, BFG members jump in to crow about how they are happy to pay more for a game, how they want to support the developers, how they want BFG to make more money, how they feel oh, so, special having a bit more play than the lower (paying) class, how they need to have immediate access to new games. The message has clearly been heard by the company: the price of casual games can be raised (slowly) with little opposition. "

Right on point! What were people expecting?

Also, I want to underline this again:

"Welcome to the new normal, CREATED BY THE BFG fan base."

redrosesdz
Catfish
Catfish
1,691 Posts

[Post New]by redrosesdz on Mar 5, 11 10:27 AM
BFG policies concerning CEs have changed since late 2009. They are not selective in what gets published as a CE. The games don't always have "amazing production values." The SE is not available within 2 to 4 weeks of the CE launch. They are available to everyone, not just game club members.

My attitude towards CEs changed with the policy changes. I avoid them now. I do not demo them, buy them or visit their game or forum pages. I also avoid any SE that was first released as a CE. Just the fact that it was first released as a CE means that I won't demo, buy or visit the forum page. I just simply refuse to support them. I also refuse to support games that are first released as whole and then split into episodes for sale at BFG (and other game portals) in the same manner.

I find plenty of fun games to keep me occupied and my frustration level has gone way down. I'm not advocating my method of dealing with the CE issue for anyone else. It works for me.

erigby
Marlin
Marlin
8,482 Posts

[Post New]by erigby on Mar 5, 11 10:32 AM
Time for a little reality-check?

by CasualGran on Mar 3, 11 5:10 AM
And yes, another Collector's Editions verses Standard Editions has popped up.

Time for a little reality-check?

1. Big Fish is a business.
Or to use those two capitals: Business Folks! So, first and foremost, it's about the money. Don't forget that. The capitals don't stand for: Benefit Folks. There may be a little benefit in their sale-system, but that's just the way you look at it. If you really want to benefit yourself: don't buy games at all, or make it a sport to find the cheapest gameportal on the internet. To my knowledge, and that's limited of course, Big Fish is NOT. But... Big Fish is a very important gameportal, so you can expect distribution of the latest games very fast. To a lot of people that's a big pro, as is the friendly Customer Service. In my experience they never let you down, if you ask for help or a refund. And you don't find that so easily on the internet when it comes to sales, that's also my experience.

2. BF doesn't MAKE the Collector's Editions (excluded their own games of course)
Big Fish distributes games according to certain businessdeals with developers. Many of those developers, I think, will try to make as much profit as they can. Starting off with a CE, weeks before the stripped SE, is a clever strategy in that direction. People, generally, don't like to wait, so many of them will buy anyway. Again, it's BUSINESS. Not surprising at all.

3. YOU are the expert concerning your wallet. If you can't afford CE's, don't buy them. Or... spend less money buying standard games and save money to buy the CE's.

Finally, when you're so addicted to games you can't help yourself anymore buying them, money enough or not, well... then even the most friendly business in games cannot help you I'm afraid...

Go to: