Developer's Clutter Corner

JoeKazz
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

Developer's Clutter Corner

[Post New]by JoeKazz on Mar 5, 11 7:31 AM
Hello all:

I wanted to thank everyone who took the time to post comments here on Clutter.

All the feedback is much appreciated and I learn from all of it.

If you have specific questions for me, I'll try to answer them here.

I will tell you this much. I am a lone developer and I look nothing like Leon Poncelette. Leon is quite fictional and although he occasionally pontificates a bit too much, my intent was to have him come across as much more humorous than he does.

I can vouch for Leon, and I know that he would never want anyone to get rid of any beloved house pets for instance.

The best I can say about Leon, is that I tried to make it as easy as possible to ignore him if you don't like that kind of stuff. (and it's very nice...that some people seemed to enjoy all the "clutterisms" and other advice he gave).

Thanks again. It means a lot to me that some of you seem to really appreciate some of the choices I made in the design of the game.

Joe

Masanders
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

Re:Developer's Clutter Corner

[Post New]by Masanders on Mar 7, 11 1:46 AM
I am really enjoying the game. It is hard to quit playing. I keep telling myself, "Just one more screen and then I MUST get to bed." HA!! That was hours ago.

The mini-games are really unique and challenging. I like the Window Shade puzzles the most and the Clock ones, too, even though the Clock puzzles are extremely maddening. I feel so proud of myself for persevering when I finally solve the puzzle.

I am reading all of the tips to help de-clutter my house (a problem I have long suffered from). And I like the story about Leon and his ancestors, too.
(I think Leon is very attractive, by the way.)

Thank you very much, Joe, for developing such a fun game.

JoeKazz
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by JoeKazz on Mar 7, 11 5:56 AM
Thank you Masanders:

One of the things I'm not sure I did well enough is explain how all the mini-games become available from the main-menu (attic) screen. Once a mini-game opens up it has 25 variations (in style and difficulty) and except for the clock and the picture puzzles, they are randomly generated.

Some people think the coin puzzles are too easy (which from within the main game, they mostly are) but from the main menu and on difficulty 5, it's another story.

Even the main clutter game can be replayed (with no timer, and no hints) from the main menu Binoculars and Flashlight. All 50 variations can be reached that way (25 in each).

Anyway, thank you again Masanders for your nice compliments.

Joe

nantyglyn
Salmon
Salmon
2,939 Posts

[Post New]by nantyglyn on Mar 8, 11 10:45 PM
Hey Joe - I'm impressed that you are a lone developer. The game is more fun than some that have been developed by big companies. The big problem I'm having is that I CAN'T get past the last screen where the objects can move (the rock one?). I REFUSE to skip it. I'v gotten down to one object left that I can never find. yes, I've read the hint ("Don't sweat the small stuff"), but I still can't do it! Can you pass on some wise tidbit as to what to do to get past that level? You can PM me if you don't want to share it in the forums. But please put me out of my agony! There must be some tidbit of wisdom that you can pass on.

I do enjoy the game, and would look forward to another game by you (but only if I can get past that level!)

Great job!

kdubs
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,480 Posts

[Post New]by kdubs on Mar 8, 11 11:38 PM
I really enjoy the game. I keep it on the desktop to pop in for a few minutes at a time.
Housework? Who cares? Leon was actually very easy to ignore when I wanted to .

Leon's astute observation that 'clutter is like carrying around a box of rocks' had me howling -- as I looked around at my rock/fossil collection. I'm the one who said my place would probably make Leon want to do an intervention.

Your game was excellent 'brain game' material, good for me and fun.
Are you working on another game to put here on BF? I hope so.

Thanks for visiting us in the forum.

Kellie

elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Mar 9, 11 1:26 AM
Hey JoeKazz--Thank you very much for creating such a fun game, and for sharing your insights in this forum! It means a lot to gamers to know that developers are listening. "Clutter" has me looking around the house and thinking "Where do I start"? The "surprise location" photography is great, the mini-games are fun, the hint system is generous, and the sound effects remind me of the service bay at a car dealership! Spot on! For a lone developer, you ROCK!

Masanders
Guppy
Guppy
124 Posts

[Post New]by Masanders on Mar 9, 11 1:59 AM
nantyglyn wrote:Hey Joe - I'm impressed that you are a lone developer. The game is more fun than some that have been developed by big companies. The big problem I'm having is that I CAN'T get past the last screen where the objects can move (the rock one?). I REFUSE to skip it. I'v gotten down to one object left that I can never find. yes, I've read the hint ("Don't sweat the small stuff"), but I still can't do it! Can you pass on some wise tidbit as to what to do to get past that level? You can PM me if you don't want to share it in the forums. But please put me out of my agony! There must be some tidbit of wisdom that you can pass on.

I do enjoy the game, and would look forward to another game by you (but only if I can get past that level!)

Great job!

Sometimes you have to just start with a click on an item and then click again on the same item to get it to move away from where it is. Using this method to move items away from their spots makes other items become visible and thus you might see a very small part of an item that matches another. Hope this helps.

JoeKazz
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by JoeKazz on Mar 9, 11 8:05 AM
Masanders is right. The only advice on this level is to not over-use the click-move option. If you keep it to a minimum and use it only when you're down to the last 3 or 4 items...you should be able to keep track of what you've looked under more easily.

I hope that helps.

nantyglyn
Salmon
Salmon
2,939 Posts

[Post New]by nantyglyn on Mar 9, 11 4:26 PM
nantyglyn wrote: The big problem I'm having is that I CAN'T get past the last screen where the objects can move.

Okay - moral of the story - I need to play when I'm not so tired. I always play in the evening, but, determined as I was to finish this part of the game, I played it this afternoon. Of course, I finished it with time to spare, and having only moved one object.

Thanks for your comments, Masanders and JoeKazz.

By the way, Joe - I noticed you have a "handprint" plate among the objects. I have the same one from when my daughter was small. I'm wondering if we got them from the same potter?

Edited on 03/09/2011 at 5:49:07 PM PST

[Post New]by gypsyew on Mar 20, 11 10:22 AM
Joe, I really
enjoy yor game! I have clutter islsues, so the hints are great. I do have one problem though.... The Grand Canyon is not in Colorado. It is very far from Colorado. It was indeed created in part bt the flow of the Colorado River.... but that famed water way merely begins is Montana, and flows out into the Gulf of Mexico. The Grand Canyon is in Arizona. The North rim is accessible from Utah. It is known as The Grand Canyon of the Colorado, for the river, not the state. I loved Leon, but that mistake just annoyed the heck out me. And yes I am an Arizonan who lives at the Grand Canyon.

[Post New]by admatin on Mar 20, 11 2:51 PM
Oh my, so glad to find the founder of this game.
Believe me it has been so much more than just a game for me.
After watching the horrors of "Hourders" more than ever before I became of my own words of 20 years ago, if I have to move out of this house it will take 2 bulldozers. Now I have lived here 24 years. If I had not found this Clutter game I would have probably become a hourder 2-3 before my retirement in 4 years, as to the 1-2 of now.

This game, although fun, does very much help when looking around and feeling overwhelmed...get you refocused and realize just one thing, day, hour, area at a time. ``YOu didn't put the "Stuff" there overnight, so will take more than overnight to relinquish it, both mindwise and physically wise. The only other alernative is a stranger (got forbid) come in and just "whisk" it all away, tada. When I am working on an area or task and feel anxious, tired, dismayed I come and play Clutter for a bit, and it defuses my anxieties, tiredness, and feeling of futility, quite quickly.

Somehow it puts me back in control.

Thank you for so much help.

[Post New]by admatin on Mar 20, 11 2:51 PM
Oh my, so glad to find the founder of this game.
Believe me it has been so much more than just a game for me.
After watching the horrors of "Hourders" more than ever before I became of my own words of 20 years ago, if I have to move out of this house it will take 2 bulldozers. Now I have lived here 24 years. If I had not found this Clutter game I would have probably become a hourder 2-3 before my retirement in 4 years, as to the 1-2 of now.

This game, although fun, does very much help when looking around and feeling overwhelmed...get you refocused and realize just one thing, day, hour, area at a time. ``YOu didn't put the "Stuff" there overnight, so will take more than overnight to relinquish it, both mindwise and physically wise. The only other alernative is a stranger (got forbid) come in and just "whisk" it all away, tada. When I am working on an area or task and feel anxious, tired, dismayed I come and play Clutter for a bit, and it defuses my anxieties, tiredness, and feeling of futility, quite quickly.

Somehow it puts me back in control.

Thank you for so much help.

JoeKazz
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by JoeKazz on Mar 21, 11 1:59 PM
One other thing I wanted to mention here is that I really tried to make it easy for anyone to "ignore" the story and the clutter advice, if that's what they wanted to do.

With the exception of the Rock-Screen (that also has messages about buttons opening up on the Main Menu Attic screen that let you play the mini-puzzles (and even the game levels) by themselves), everywhere else, the text is either down at the button with a "more" button that a player can ignore or a "game" button is available to jump back to the game (like in the book).

And the book interface allows anyone to "read the book" all at once if they want to skip over it while playing. Whenever the book is showing, the back arrows can be used to return and read the previous chapters, if that's what someone wanted to do.

The book becomes available from the Main Menu at the end of the game (it shows up in the lower left part of the attic).

Again, I thank everyone for all their comments (even the negative ones I learn from). I can assure everyone that they will affect my choices with and future game I make.

zbox12
Minnow
Minnow
271 Posts

[Post New]by zbox12 on Mar 28, 11 12:02 PM
I really enjoy this game. About done with working through for the second time. I like levels 9 and 10 the best. Also like the beginning levles when one item is given and you have to find the other one. I'm also trying to de-clutter, but like a previous poster I think it would just about be easier to park a dump truck under my window and start shoveling. Is there another game coming?

stanliness
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by stanliness on Apr 8, 11 1:51 PM
Joe - great game! I can't tell you how many people I've told about this game - and the great advice on getting rid of clutter. Very clever game. I must admit I'm about ready to skip the last (I hope, as I'm up to the last rock, I think) clock puzzle - which I hate! But I can't make any sense out of it. But I LOVE the concept and sifting through all the clutter (I remember many things shown here). Good job!

Jan69
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by Jan69 on Apr 20, 11 6:15 PM
I like the game very much, expecially the 'match the bottom line'. Could you possibly correct the binocular games to progress in Style and Difficulty without needing manual reset? I forget to note which game I just played so don't know if I'm replaying. Irritating. Thanks for the game and clutter advice.

JoeKazz
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by JoeKazz on Apr 21, 11 11:03 AM
To Jan69:

That does seem to be a real bug - so I will look into it. I'll let you know when it's fixed.
(it should work just like the other mini-games (like the matching tile puzzles)).

Joe

ark161
Clownfish
Clownfish
611 Posts

[Post New]by ark161 on Apr 24, 11 6:45 PM
will you develop more games?

JoeKazz
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by JoeKazz on Apr 26, 11 6:54 AM
Yes - thanks for asking. I'm definitely doing a sequel to Clutter - tentatively called "Clutter II - Get your Move on!!!" and at some point I want to do a game that is just a collection of fun and challenging minigames (with lots of randomness and lots of replayability). I'm also working on getting my website to be more professional looking. It will eventually have all my earlier efforts, which are mostly simple one-puzzle-type games (made to be windows desktop games (about 10 years ago).

JoeKazz
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by JoeKazz on Apr 29, 11 6:26 AM
I'm not sure I'm allowed to give you the actual web address in here, but...."Puzzles By Joe" is my company name and you should be able to find it in google. I think you're also allowed to send me a private message here, and then I can respond with more detailed information.

Go to: