BBB10
Clownfish
Clownfish
715 Posts

YOUR COMMENTS AND REVIEWS FOR "MARY KAY ANDREWS: THE FIXER UPPER - DD- MAR 6/11

[Post New]by BBB10 on Mar 6, 11 1:39 AM
Well fellow fishies, what do you think of this game?

Please let us know! Thanks.

Happy Gaming!

BBB

vezzettj
Guppy
Guppy
157 Posts

Re:YOUR COMMENTS AND REVIEWS FOR "MARY KAY ANDREWS: THE FIXER UPPER - DD- MAR 6/11

[Post New]by vezzettj on Mar 6, 11 2:19 AM
If you don't like lots and lots of dialog you might want to skip this one...

As for the H0G scenes (when you finally get to them) this is a game where you can hover over an item to see the shape of the object... and conversely, when they give you shapes to find you can hover for the name of the object. I hadn't seen it both ways before and so that was pretty cool. You can get more hints by finding the "house emblem" in each scene and the mini games are all about fixing the house... I only made it to Day 2 before I quit (20 minutes in, 4 h0g scenes and two mini games (and did I mention the dialog?)).

But the dialog... goes on and on and on... you can click through it (even the dog woofs at you!) but I don't remember if there was a skip all option. Normally, I read EVERYTHING, I like story lines, (I read out side of gaming too!) but I just don't care about a disgraced politician's lobbyist... and how that translates to flipping a house and getting involved with distant relatives you've never met... just leave out the front story.. it is enough to have inherited a house and start there.. or just mention the loss of the job, you don't need all the details... sigh...

IMO, not even worth 2.99... but feel free to try for yourself (no, really, enough people have wasted their time on this game... don't do it.. enjoy your weekend!)

Edit: I didn't know this was based on a book... that sort of explains the dialog issues... but I've played other games "based on a book" that didn't try to include ALL the dialog and just made much better games.

Edited on 03/06/2011 at 5:45:15 PM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

Re:YOUR COMMENTS AND REVIEWS FOR "MARY KAY ANDREWS: THE FIXER UPPER - DD- MAR 6/11

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Mar 6, 11 2:44 AM
There is so much dialogue and straight Hog game play. It's not my cup of tea, but it might be for others. I tried it several times, but it just didn't work for me. It's pretty simple and mostly reading. I read past reviews and alot of people didn't like it. And then I read about the ending and that made my mind up on not getting it. I'd say read all the reviews and play it for yourself. Thanks for all the reviews, they helped me alot.
Not a buy for me.

I'd rate this: PORK BELLY

PORK BELLY:
Likable game for some, but not for everyone.

‘ ‘
(o)

Skulduggery
Guppy
Guppy
178 Posts

[Post New]by Skulduggery on Mar 6, 11 4:30 AM
Well I gritted my teeth and got as far as the supermarket on day 2 then decided enough
(kept hoping it would get better)

For me the big issues were:

Huge amounts of text just dumped into the game at different points rather than paced more naturally through the game (I assume because it was based on a book?)

Repetitive mini "games" that aren't really games as such - almost all the ones I did were just using your mouse to wipe something all over for one reason or another. This was made worse because I didn't want to do any of the tasks, they were boring and unattractive in a game: brushing lint of a jacket, stripping wall-paper, waxing a car etc.

Objects difficult to see in a bad way (too small, indistinguishable from other objects/backgrounds)

Unpleasant characters/motivations - I really disliked her father, he seemed rude and obnoxious and just cared about money, he says "never lend money to family" and then tells the daughter she can do up an old house he has inherited for a quick profit they can split.

Dull storyline. In the time I played the only person I could really find myself caring about was the little old lady. Though admittedly I didn't play beyond the supermarket in day 2.

Illogical reasons/lack of reasons for finding items: e.g. she goes to a lawyer's office, says she needs to find a bell but then continues rummaging around the lawyer's stuff finding random things.

I also read the comments about a lack of ending which, to me, for a story driven/based game is pretty unforgivable.

Edited on 03/06/2011 at 4:32:32 AM PST

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Mar 6, 11 8:00 AM
I played the hour demo and I'm passing on this one. Overall, it's just not working for me.

It does have some interesting features though. I like the father helping the daughter for a change. I like the small town people. I like the fixing up the place - not the mechanics of the way you do it necessarily, but the general premise and watching the place improve as you go thru the game.

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Mar 6, 11 8:45 AM

I bought this one a long time ago and I liked it. I've replayed it a couple of times.

I do like dialog and interactive novels, however. (This is a game based on a book.)

The house repair portion is done better than the more recent home re-do game "Renovate & Relocate: Boston" IMHO.

Frogmort
Manatee
Manatee
3,812 Posts

[Post New]by Frogmort on Mar 6, 11 9:00 AM
I so agree with many of the posts above...

As far as I can see: interminable dialogue boxes set to muzak, interspersed with bland HOGs and cleaning activities.

If this were the January sales, this would be a "special purchase" item, or to use a film analogy, straight to dvd. No wonder it made it to DD so soon after release. *sigh*

I only wish my own cleaning activities could be accomplished with a paltry few seconds flicking the duster.

Not one for me at all

Heyho, something better on Monday maybe, hint, hint ?

Edited on 03/06/2011 at 9:03:39 AM PST

[Post New]by crazybluegirl200 on Mar 6, 11 10:28 AM
There is a LOT of dialogue in this game. That did not bother me. I am one of those players who knows how to use the skip button
My only problem with the game is it seems to be a bit repetitive. It was great for killing a hour but beyond that I feel the game will be a dud. I won't be buying even though the price is 2.99. I almost bought it but by then end of the hour demo I realized that I had enough.

Athena99
Guppy
Guppy
169 Posts

[Post New]by Athena99 on Mar 6, 11 8:14 PM
Thank goodness for the forum! I was literally about to buy it when I decided to check the forum first and read the entries in "ending?". As basic as the "renovations" were (scrubbing, painting etc with the mouse), it was still satisfying on a basic level and the action was extremely well done. It was fast and not too fussy. I did have a few problems with clicking on some of the objects. For instance, in the supermarket I had to click a number of times on the paper bag and the lettuce to get them picked. The paper bag was extremely frustrating as I clicked on it in different spots to no avail until one of them finally got lucky - and it wasn't even a small item. Strangely, on one level I know I did very well on accuracy, but I ended scoring only 52%! Definitely, weird and disappointing. But I was willing to over look that until I read about the ending and not being able to finish the house, nevermind not being able to see the end result. Thanks fellow fishies!

YOUR COMMENTS AND REVIEWS FOR "MARY KAY ANDREWS: THE FIXER UPPER - DD- MAR 6/11

[Post New]by eggpressions on Mar 11, 11 8:43 PM
BBB10 wrote: Well fellow fishies, what do you think of this game?

Please let us know! Thanks.

Happy Gaming!

BBB

[Post New]by bluesingincat on Mar 12, 11 2:27 PM
I just couldn't get past the obnoxious dialogue. The boxes with the pics of the characters coming forward and retreating over and over is really annoying. I couldn't play past the first scene. Too bad, because if they would have used less dialogue, and not used the annoying boxes, I think it would of been a good game. This might not bother some people, so it is probably worth trying the demo, but I wouldn't buy it before I tried it. I bought it before I tried it, and i wish I wouldn't have.

[Post New]by satexasgirl on Apr 10, 11 8:31 PM
It's based on a book by Mary Kay Andrews. I haven't read it yet, but I might give it a shot. The reviews for the book are decent. The games not all that good, though to be honest. One, there are abrupt changes in the story line. Two, near the beginning of the game you "fix up" one room. Later in the game you come back to that room to "fix it up" again. Huh? Three, the dog is a cocker spaniel, yet it looks more like a Golden Retriever or Iris Setter. It ends abruptly as well. There's quite a bit of dialogue you have to wade through. I'm guessing the developers did not do the novel justice. I'll post more once I've read the book assuming I can remember that I said that I would

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Apr 26, 11 11:53 AM
I really liked this one. I get tired of dark, creepy games all the time and this one was relaxing. A bit too much dialogue, but I can get over that. I do wish they would have shown what the whole house looked like fixed up, though, room by room. Maybe as an extra thing in the menu! Funny side note....I recommended this one to my sister, and she started playing the demo and had to stop because she is reading the book this is based on and didn't want to spoil her read!

moonweaver
Flounder
Flounder
2,108 Posts

[Post New]by moonweaver on Mar 24, 12 6:55 PM
I bought this as a DD without playing the demo or checking reviews; I don't often do that. I was enjoying the game, even tho I would prefer a voice-over rather than reading so much dialogue. I don't even mind the chores like scraping wallpaper and washing the car. (Reminded me of one of the yardsale games where you had to renovate yardsale items.) But now I am stuck with trying to find the last place to repair on the front of the house, and I have run out of hints, and can't find any more house icons. Also, I have looked for a walk-through, and can't find one. On the wallpaper scraping, I finally had to click the Skip button when I had stripped 98% and just couldn't find the rest. So now I can't progress in the game without finding that last needed repair. Disappointing, even tho I only paid $2.99.

moonweaver
Flounder
Flounder
2,108 Posts

[Post New]by moonweaver on Mar 25, 12 9:06 PM
Well, I solved my problem by starting the game over, which was my third new game: the second time I started over because when I met the old lady, she implied that my character had been inside the house before, and been told to leave, and I didn't remember that happening. Anyway, on the third try, I knew where a lot of the objects were, and didn't have to use many hints. So when I got to the front of the house and needed a hint to find all the needed repairs, I had hints left.

Anyway, I finished the game last night; it was an OK game, but I'm glad I didn't pay full price. I didn't so much mind the ending, like some other fishies. Just not an exciting game, though I must say the devs tried. I think the game ought to rated as an adult theme, because of the mention of prostitution, bribery, etc.

hidden007
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by hidden007 on Sep 23, 12 9:53 PM
Game is just okay. I didn't mind the fixing up of the house, but the WAY in which I was expected to fix it up was a bit tedious and boring (a lot of scraping, waxing, stripping, etc.). There was a lot of dialogue, and not all of it seemed coherent to me. The ending was abrupt, and all our hard work fixing up the house went unacknowledged. Some of the relationships you were hoping to see bloom went unexplained. It's not the WORST game I have ever played, but I can't say I'd recommend it either. I had no idea it was based on a book, but I almost want to get the book just to see how the characters, the house and her situation turned out. But if the book is anything like this game, I don't think I could stand to read it. Sorry Big Fish.

Go to: