peglegann
Stingray
Stingray
5,174 Posts

Your Comments and Reviews for Pirate Mysteries: A Tale of Monkeys, Masks and Hidden Objects

[Post New]by peglegann on Mar 7, 11 1:06 AM
This is a straight HOG. I would probably have loved it a year or so ago but I am afraid that I am now finding them a little boring. Find items by either name, riddle or shape. Items IMO are to scale but a little small. Nothing special in the options. I wanted to like it but I do not. Sorry BF! I came across a jigsaw and one other puzzle, neither interesting. I then gave up.

ETA Strange title, I saw the H0 part but did not get as far as the monkeys or masks! LOL!

Edited on 03/07/2011 at 1:28:51 AM PST


 
care___916
Clownfish
Clownfish
988 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Pirate Mysteries: A Tale of Monkeys, Masks and Hidden Objects

[Post New]by care___916 on Mar 7, 11 1:21 AM
It looks like a straight HOG. In opening of the game the graphics looked great but I thought the HOG scenes were not clear and alot of the items seemed really small. Not a buy for me and not much of a storyline.

Hope we get some IHOGs soon.

Happy gaming

 
bfgImbrium
Manatee
Manatee
4,236 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Pirate Mysteries: A Tale of Monkeys, Masks and Hidden Objects

[Post New]by bfgImbrium on Mar 7, 11 1:29 AM
Hi fishies,

Thanks for creating this thread; I've gone ahead and stickied it for your convenience!

We value your reviews, as do many of the other fishies in our pond, so feel free to post your comments and opinions in this thread!

Remember, a lot of people who will be reading this thread will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post.

For discussions other than your general feedback on this game you can create a new discussion in the game forum and if you are experiencing technical issues, be sure to swim over to the support thread here.

Happy gaming!

bfgImbrium

 
LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Pirate Mysteries: A Tale of Monkeys, Masks and Hidden Objects

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Mar 7, 11 1:37 AM
I like this game. It has nice graphics, widescreen, nice story. I will say the items can be very small to see, but with the silloette and the fairly quick hint button, it work's out. It is very easy for pro's, but sometime's it's just nice to play a simpler game. I like the pirate theme, all though we have seen it before. I think "Robinson Crusoe series is alot better. But I think this game is definetly worth a try and a buy for me. But I am using a credit. Would I pay full price? Probably not. But for a credit,DD,punch card, it's a definite yes!

I'd rate this: PIGLET

PIGLET:
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog. For true lover's of these types of games
‘ ‘
(o)




 
doctorgood
Clownfish
Clownfish
589 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Pirate Mysteries: A Tale of Monkeys, Masks and Hidden Objects

[Post New]by doctorgood on Mar 7, 11 1:39 AM

It's a beginners HOG plain and simple. HOG scenes served up in various ways. By riddles (which are lame), outlines of the object or straight up description. The first puzzle was a jig saw treasure map. I like jigsaw puzzles and this one was fair.

The cursor will do "the floaty" rather quickly but for a very short duration. The hint system is adequate. Recharges in a fair amount of time. I didn't check how long it takes but I know there will be someone along shortly with that info!!

The story; A daughter is looking out for an alcoholic father who always wanted to be a pirate and she is constantly protecting him from himself. (I say put him in a home and go have a life.)

Some objects are a little hard to find because of low quality graphics but you can click to see the outline which helps offset this problem.

I think the Dev. tried and they have accomplished in building a good basic HOG for beginners. I won't knock it nor will I buy it.. . 'nuff said.
It rates
Dr.good

Edited on 03/07/2011 at 1:41:10 AM PST


 
tillybaby
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Pirate Mysteries: A Tale of Monkeys, Masks and Hidden Objects

[Post New]by tillybaby on Mar 7, 11 2:02 AM
Agree with everything that has been said so far.

A few months ago I was earning two free games vouchers every month, in fact I was getting worried about the amount of money that I was spending on games but now - nothing, I am finding difficult to even use the bought credit that's compulsory to remain a member, there is definitely a downgrade in games and how many more straight HOGs do we need for goodness sake?

Unfortunately I will soon be cancelling my membership through lack of games to buy UNLESS there's a rapid upgrade to games that warrant a price tag.

Edited on 03/07/2011 at 2:04:42 AM PST


 
tillybaby
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Pirate Mysteries: A Tale of Monkeys, Masks and Hidden Objects

[Post New]by tillybaby on Mar 7, 11 2:03 AM
PS Moday = Money, Sorry

 
dimajo
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Pirate Mysteries: A Tale of Monkeys, Masks and Hidden Objects

[Post New]by dimajo on Mar 7, 11 2:08 AM
tillybaby wrote:Agree with everything that has been said so far.

A few months ago I was earning two free games vouchers every month, in fact I was getting worried about the amount of money that I was spending on games but now - nothing, I am finding difficult to even use the bought credit that's compulsory to remain a member, there is definitely a downgrade in games and how many more straight HOGs do we need for goodness sake?

Unfortunately I will soon be cancelling my membership through lack of games to buy UNLESS there's a rapid upgrade to games that warrant a price tag.



Same here, don t buy CE games first time in years i have credits available, planning to cancel membership

 
jjjogram
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Pirate Mysteries: A Tale of Monkeys, Masks and Hidden Objects

[Post New]by jjjogram on Mar 7, 11 2:26 AM
I liked this game - i'm a huge HOG fan, & lately they've all been "mysteries" to solve, sometimes i like a plain old HOG, just find the objects, without going back to rooms & areas to use the objects i've found - this one is fun, easy, and i will buy it

 
SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Pirate Mysteries: A Tale of Monkeys, Masks and Hidden Objects

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Mar 7, 11 2:32 AM
doctorgood wrote:
The hint system is adequate. Recharges in a fair amount of time. I didn't check how long it takes but I know there will be someone along shortly with that info!!



I think that DrGood has written a very fair review of the game; I too found the graphics very poor quality. It looked like some of the games I have from several years ago.

The hint system recharges in 45 seconds although if you just click for a silhouette you do not need to wait for a recharge, only if you ask where the item is actually located.

In some scenes you put objects back into the picture rather than search for them which is an interesting twist that I haven't come across before.

Definitely a game only for straight H0G lovers; a no buy for me based on the poor graphics alone.

 
Leemo
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Pirate Mysteries: A Tale of Monkeys, Masks and Hidden Objects

[Post New]by Leemo on Mar 7, 11 2:32 AM
In the write up the game sounded great but I couldn't finish the demo. Fuzzy HOG after HOG............not for me.

 
puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Pirate Mysteries: A Tale of Monkeys, Masks and Hidden Objects

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 7, 11 3:20 AM
Are we reviewing this game or the whole gaming industry?
For the 5 years I've been around BF and twice that time buying casual games elsewhere on a small budget I can't see any downgrading at all. In fact, I see selective upgrading especially in ihog adventures, they've just become more expensive to make so fewer to find. IMO since the advent of CEs where devs can afford to keep up with the demands of avid players for quality and gameplay even difficulty level has gone up. Most the really good SEs now were CEs and enough people were willing to pay more thus devs have more money up front to further develop, hire better talent, supply a demand for more complex games and better production values all in the worse economy I've seen in my lifetime. Kudos to them.

I've always seen more "dogs" than great games day after day, not just now but as long as BF supplies a new game every day. I see more genres I don't care for than my fav ihogs so I can't speak for down or upgrades in TMs for example. I see more of them so less I want to spend credits on.

This game may have been a real winner with forum members 1 or 2 years ago, and should be now with new players who haven't upgraded their skill levels yet. The mention of widescreen turned me around to want to try it out for some easy entertainment on my laptop. I too have unused credits for the first time. That is because I'm getting more bang for my bucks paying cash, CEs, DDs, COWs, sale promos and SEs on free punches. If I hadn't already bought this Catch of the Week, Awakening Dreamless Castle (probably on a free punch) I'd snap it up for another steal. The sequel Moonfell Walk was a SE, worth twice that IMO. I used to buy maybe 2 a month or 1 for my club credit discount. Now I've been buying 6 or 12 for not much more, or a CE and 3 cheapos or SEs.

I think I'm out of good choices because I've already bought myself out of the market, or my demands have gone up for "better games" faster than the producers can supply at club prices.

Off to test something new on my new widescreen laptop. Can't complain about free one hour play either.

Maybe I'll spend more time watching movies on DVDs but yikes, can't afford a new one every day either.Best I d/l and play the game and get back on original topic. I like the sound of variety, jigsaws, minis, riddles, shapes and word lists. And, if objects are big enough to see it will be my free game about to expire end of month



 
elldee2728
Shark
Shark
14,378 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Pirate Mysteries: A Tale of Monkeys, Masks and Hidden Objects

[Post New]by elldee2728 on Mar 7, 11 3:21 AM
I was once a "salmon," so I'm used to swimming against the current--here too. I kinda liked this one (at least the demo). It's a bit of a comic break from the serious business of other games that I've played (and enjoyed, BTW) recently. Certainly a step above yesterday's choice. Yessiree, it's a straight-up HOG, with some slightly-out-of-focus and silhouetted objects, but I've seen bigger production numbers with no better graphics than this! (Don't ask me to name them, though--senior moment! LOL). Good options, including cursor choice.

For folks who like the occasional seek-and-find HOG (I do), this one seems to please (actually, can't wait for BFG to list the new "Amazing Adventures" HOG). I feel for people who'll CNX memberships because of this Monday offering!

 
cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Pirate Mysteries: A Tale of Monkeys, Masks and Hidden Objects

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Mar 7, 11 3:32 AM
Good reviews Doc and Goofy .

I like an occasional straight HOG and would have bought this if only the graphics had been a bit less fuzzy and some of the objects a bit bigger so that I didn't have to lean really close to the screen to try and find them.

The variety of finding the objects is good as it takes the boredom out of finding list after list after list of objects ... I like riddles . I also thought the minigames that I came across were good ... the map was cut into more interesting pieces and the gem puzzle on the temple door was good .

So devs you have made a good effort but, IMHO, the graphics have let you down a bit.

Cherb


 
puzzledone
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,182 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Pirate Mysteries: A Tale of Monkeys, Masks and Hidden Objects

[Post New]by puzzledone on Mar 7, 11 3:34 AM
Thank you goofy for the revealing review, I was typing same time and missed it and almost forgot the topic.

I really like the sound of selective hints, I hate random ones so don't usually ask til the last item frustration. Especially like choice of word or silhouette before a location too. Not fond of riddles but really like putting things back I can find like that Tarot card one, nice mix. I've been playing Hidden Crosswords and it is maddening when I know the answer but can't find it, add that to the challenge.

Just came here to make up my mind what to do for an hour before so you answered that. Maybe it will put me to sleep, hope not, bb tomorrow if so.

 
sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Pirate Mysteries: A Tale of Monkeys, Masks and Hidden Objects

[Post New]by sinshack on Mar 7, 11 4:35 AM
A nice straight HOG, and there is actually a story if you play for a while - it doesn't just slam you in the face in the first 5 minutes, you need to play to get the story. It's not the instant gratification that we've gotten used to in iHOGs, but it's exactly as advertised - a Hidden Object game, not Adventure or Interactive.

The graphics in this game vary greatly - some are pretty sharp, some are pretty fuzzy, but there were no scenes where I had to use more than one hint until I got to the STD (Spot The Difference) and that was more a issue with my usual impatience with those puzzles than a problem with the graphics. Once the hint circled the difference it was easy to see that I had just missed it, not that it was too unclear to see (except that one stupid feather...!)

If you like the occasional straight HOG, and if you have the patience to take your time and look for well-hidden objects, this might be a game you'll enjoy. If you can dowload for free (I realize some gamers have a limit on their monthly downloading,) play the free demo and see for yourself. If you have to have interaction and adventure in your HOGs, you probably won't enjoy it at all, but you still might want to give it a try. I'm certainly not going to order you not to even download it.

In fact, I will probably use one of my leftover punchcard credits on it. It looks like at least a few hours of enjoyment for me.

My little Pet Peeve: For those who complain that it is nothing but H0 scenes one after another: yeah, you're right! That's what a straight HOG is. Do you complain about having a timer when you play a Time Management game?? If you don't like it, that's OK, and you can certainly tell everyone you don't like it and why. But please don't knock it for being what it is advertised to be.

Edited on 03/07/2011 at 4:37:55 AM PST


 
Jixio
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Pirate Mysteries: A Tale of Monkeys, Masks and Hidden Objects

[Post New]by Jixio on Mar 7, 11 4:38 AM
puzzledone wrote:Are we reviewing this game or the whole gaming industry?
For the 5 years I've been around BF and twice that time buying casual games elsewhere on a small budget I can't see any downgrading at all. In fact, I see selective upgrading especially in ihog adventures, they've just become more expensive to make so fewer to find. IMO since the advent of CEs where devs can afford to keep up with the demands of avid players for quality and gameplay even difficulty level has gone up. Most the really good SEs now were CEs and enough people were willing to pay more thus devs have more money up front to further develop, hire better talent, supply a demand for more complex games and better production values all in the worse economy I've seen in my lifetime. Kudos to them.

I've always seen more "dogs" than great games day after day, not just now but as long as BF supplies a new game every day. I see more genres I don't care for than my fav ihogs so I can't speak for down or upgrades in TMs for example. I see more of them so less I want to spend credits on.

This game may have been a real winner with forum members 1 or 2 years ago, and should be now with new players who haven't upgraded their skill levels yet. The mention of widescreen turned me around to want to try it out for some easy entertainment on my laptop. I too have unused credits for the first time. That is because I'm getting more bang for my bucks paying cash, CEs, DDs, COWs, sale promos and SEs on free punches. If I hadn't already bought this Catch of the Week, Awakening Dreamless Castle (probably on a free punch) I'd snap it up for another steal. The sequel Moonfell Walk was a SE, worth twice that IMO. I used to buy maybe 2 a month or 1 for my club credit discount. Now I've been buying 6 or 12 for not much more, or a CE and 3 cheapos or SEs.

I think I'm out of good choices because I've already bought myself out of the market, or my demands have gone up for "better games" faster than the producers can supply at club prices.

Off to test something new on my new widescreen laptop. Can't complain about free one hour play either.

Maybe I'll spend more time watching movies on DVDs but yikes, can't afford a new one every day either.Best I d/l and play the game and get back on original topic. I like the sound of variety, jigsaws, minis, riddles, shapes and word lists. And, if objects are big enough to see it will be my free game about to expire end of month



 
poggyapoo
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Pirate Mysteries: A Tale of Monkeys, Masks and Hidden Objects

[Post New]by poggyapoo on Mar 7, 11 4:42 AM
tillybaby wrote:Agree with everything that has been said so far.

A few months ago I was earning two free games vouchers every month, in fact I was getting worried about the amount of money that I was spending on games but now - nothing, I am finding difficult to even use the bought credit that's compulsory to remain a member, there is definitely a downgrade in games and how many more straight HOGs do we need for goodness sake?

Unfortunately I will soon be cancelling my membership through lack of games to buy UNLESS there's a rapid upgrade to games that warrant a price tag.


I totally agree with you Tilly, the games are definitely on the downward spiral, and it is becoming increasingly difficult to find a game that I feel is worthy of using either a game credit or purchasing. Yesterday's game was a joke and childish, and I must admit today's isn't that far behind! I too will be considering cancelling my membership unless the games become worth the price, more adult challenging, and graphically distinct.

 
tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Pirate Mysteries: A Tale of Monkeys, Masks and Hidden Objects

[Post New]by tj1147 on Mar 7, 11 4:58 AM
I have a question (and will probably get "slammed" for it). Comments and Reviews is a good forum for letting others know how we feel about a game or any of its components, and for giving our personal reviews of a game (which can help others decide about buying...I always read the reviews of those more experienced than I). Now the question - if someone doesn't like a particular game or series of games, why post on the forum planning to "cancel membership" if "better games" aren't made available ("better" is relative to each player I would think). Why not just cancel membership "quietly" if one is not finding games they think worthy of membership price? Why feel the need to post cancelling on the forums?

 
9gamer5
Lobster
Lobster
92 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for Pirate Mysteries: A Tale of Monkeys, Masks and Hidden Objects

[Post New]by 9gamer5 on Mar 7, 11 4:59 AM
Played this game for a half hour. Found it boring without a storyline. Hidden objects too small. Games too easy. Will not buy this one.

 
 
 
 
Go to: